Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:20 am UTC

Check this out, if this is real it looks like Microsoft is getting worried about Linux. Personally, I think they need to be worrying about Apple. Running a stable, user-friendly, although perhaps fascist OS doesn't sound so bad to people who are sick of defragging, instability and millions of malware programs out there.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Zorlin
Posts: 950
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 2:31 am UTC
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Zorlin » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Everything they said had enough truth that it's harder to refute. They are the masters of FUD.

Wrongsectionbtw.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Where would it go then, seems general enough to me :mrgreen:

But yea it strikes me as pretty infantile, most of the things they said are so false, like there not being support for linux. Support is all you pay for!
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:31 am UTC

This is gold.

Linux is a self-help solution. There are no step-by-step tutorials provided, and help documentation is limited.


Are step-by-step tutorials not self-help?
If you'd used google instead of Bing to search, you would found approximately eleventy billion linux tutorials.
Wait, help documentation is limited to what, precisely? Microsofts documentation is unlimited then?

:roll: :lol:

Tards
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
Hamorad
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:14 pm UTC

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Hamorad » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:40 am UTC

Yes infact Microsoft documentation actually spawns more documentation about the documentation every time someone attempts to use it so it is, according to perception from users, infinite. Take that linux sir I await your rebuttal.

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Hamorad wrote:I await your rebuttal.

George Bush is a wimp.

</Bloom County>
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
Hamorad
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:14 pm UTC

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Hamorad » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Oh no I am expecting a rebuttal from Linux itself you are a representative I WISH TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 am UTC

How many times have you ever used the local Help files in windows to solve a problem? Have you ever NOT regretted the time you wasted? The help (man) pages are not only useful, they are quite likely the only source of info you need.

Hamorad wrote:Oh no I am expecting a rebuttal from Linux itself you are a representative I WISH TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER.


Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Clumpy
Posts: 1883
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:48 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Clumpy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 am UTC

They had me at the slide where they used a bunch of red bars for Linux while the Windows 7 bars were nice and green. As somebody who isn't a computer junkie and will stick with XP for five more years if possible, this whole scheme is a false dichotomy. I do software support for senior citizens and 95% of them with an OS newer than XP bought it because they didn't have a choice.

Magilla wrote:
Hamorad wrote:I await your rebuttal.

George Bush is a wimp.

</Bloom County>


I thought it was "George Bush is a twinkie." :)

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:10 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:
Magilla wrote:
Hamorad wrote:I await your rebuttal.

George Bush is a wimp.

</Bloom County>


I thought it was "George Bush is a twinkie." :)

No, that was a change that Opus made to a Deathtongue song. The final line for that strip was "Darn my social conscience", IIRC. The line "George Bush is a wimp" was uttered by Opus as a rebuttal during a debate practice with Milo Bloom, when Opus was Bills running mate in the 1988 elections.

I chose this particular quote because it's a pretty universal rebuttal. The line was first used to rebut an argument to do with speed limits and saving lives.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 am UTC

* * * * The Microsoft Troubleshooter(C) for Vehicle Owners * * * *
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your problem?
[x] My car will not start.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried turning the key?
[_] Yes, and this solved my problem
[_] No
[x] Yes, and I my car still doesn't start
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are sorry, but the troubleshooter could not solve your problem.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby phlip » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 am UTC

mrbaggins wrote:* * * * The Microsoft Troubleshooter(C) for Vehicle Owners * * * *
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is your problem?
[x] My car will not start.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried turning the key?
[_] Yes, and this solved my problem
[_] No
[x] Yes, and I my car still doesn't start
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are sorry, but the troubleshooter could not solve your problem.

Exactly! Windows has help systems built in for everything!

If you had Linux, and had car troubles, you'd be stuck.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
mrbaggins
Posts: 1611
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:23 am UTC
Location: Wagga, Australia

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby mrbaggins » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:08 am UTC

Having 'help' != being helpful.

It's kinda like a lifeguard with a floaty board sitting on his high chair and just watching people drown. In fact, I think that feels awfully like Windows. If you can't swim on your own (which is easy once you know some basics) Windows leaves you to sink or swim.
Why is it that 4chan is either infinitely awesome, infinitely bad, or "lolwut", but never any intermediary level?

User avatar
J the Ninja
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm UTC
Location: Portland, USA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

They were worrying about Apple. You can read all about the anti-Mac version of this re-education course here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... tml&page=2
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

Exactly, the microsoft help pages are maybe helpful if you aren't good with computers and need the basics spoonfed to you, but for solving real problems with at least half-competence I have never found anything that wasn't common computer sense.

Linux comes with something called 'man' pages (manual) for just about everything. If you want to know about a program, you type 'man nameOfProgram' and a whole page comes up and tells you EVERYTHING about the program in great detail. It's all stored locally on the hard drive too, and Linux still takes up less than a quarter of the HDD space that Windows does. Since Macs are unix based now, do you guys have man pages? I was pretty surprised when I sat down at a Mac terminal at how easily I was able to get around.

J the Ninja wrote:They were worrying about Apple. You can read all about the anti-Mac version of this re-education course here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... tml&page=2


I really think that these days the only reason everybody uses Windows is because everybody uses Windows. Most people don't give a crap about computers and they're already used to Windows, they don't wanna change. You always see people with Linux and Mac shirts and bumper stickers and whatnot, when's the last time you saw someone sporting Windows wear? We're all just stuck with it.

Windows does beat all in gaming though. I haven't gamed on a PC in a while but unless things have drastically changed for OpenGL (what do Macs use?) then I think that DirectX will be on top for a while in gaming and graphics. Though it doesn't help that cards and drivers are written FOR Windows. Getting manufacturer support for other systems is a whooooole other topic though.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
J the Ninja
Posts: 718
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm UTC
Location: Portland, USA
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

v1nsai wrote:Linux comes with something called 'man' pages (manual) for just about everything. If you want to know about a program, you type 'man nameOfProgram' and a whole page comes up and tells you EVERYTHING about the program in great detail. It's all stored locally on the hard drive too, and Linux still takes up less than a quarter of the HDD space that Windows does. Since Macs are unix based now, do you guys have man pages? I was pretty surprised when I sat down at a Mac terminal at how easily I was able to get around. <snip>



The GUI apps use a searchable and locally-stored help/documentation system that's accessible from the "Help" menu, which almost all programs have as their right-most menu item. Pretty much everything else has a man page.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

F*ck man pages.

My classic example is "dir". In MS-DOS, "dir /?" provided you with a nice, convenient, single screen that told you everything you would ever probably need to know. Under newer versions of Windows it's a little more than a single screen.

"ls --help" gives you three screens' worth of crazy switches that are for some reason sorted alphabetically rather than by category or something else vaguely useful. And "man ls" goes on for six pages. "But ls can do so much more than dir!" I hear you cry. To which I respond, "How much do you actually need it to do?"

And then there are the man pages that ramble on about bugs and irrelevant historical trivia of no interest to the end user.

Magilla wrote:If you'd used google instead of Bing to search, you would found approximately eleventy billion linux tutorials.
I don't want eleventy billion tutorials. I want one tutorial that will definitely work for my configuration, rather than spend hours on end going through them all, thinking that mayble the next one will include something that deals with the particular quirk in my particular distro that causes all the other ones not to function!

But really, http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com does Linux ranting so much better than I can.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote: rant


Yea, I'll give you that the man pages sometimes have too much information. Linux is definitely NOT for the public. If you don't give a crap about computers, stay away you won't enjoy it. Linux is more like a hobby, it allows you to do things like use regular expressions in the command line and customize your interface to EXACTLY how you want it, and open source-ness allows newb programmers like me to take apart their favorite software to see how it ticks and experienced programmers to contribute. Linux is very programmer/IT centric, whereas Windows and Mac are friendlier to end-users.

Jorpho wrote: I want one tutorial that will definitely work for my configuration


But if you ever find a help page that gives you all the answers specific to your configuration in one place, lemme know and I'll join you in Windows ;)

I'm surprised to see that an entire blog exists for hating linux. I guess for everything that brings someone happiness will just ruin the shit out of someone else's day. Seems like an awful lot of anger toward something that won't change though. I read the top post in which he ranted about apt-cache, to which I wanna say that he was probably being too broad with his search and should try to 'grep' the results, it's not hard but not something someone that doesn't know linux would think of. It's another cool thing linux lets you do that's impossible in Windows :-D . It sucks when your forced to use something you don't like though, so anyone can understand that frustration.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:F*ck man pages.

My classic example is "dir". In MS-DOS, "dir /?" provided you with a nice, convenient, single screen that told you everything you would ever probably need to know. Under newer versions of Windows it's a little more than a single screen.

"ls --help" gives you three screens' worth of crazy switches that are for some reason sorted alphabetically rather than by category or something else vaguely useful. And "man ls" goes on for six pages. "But ls can do so much more than dir!" I hear you cry. To which I respond, "How much do you actually need it to do?"

And then there are the man pages that ramble on about bugs and irrelevant historical trivia of no interest to the end user.

But really, http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com does Linux ranting so much better than I can.


First of all, you can probably get the same information from dir with ls -"some letter here". (I forget which ones, but luckily I can check the man pages :) )
And the Linux command line is a bazillion, trillion times better, with so much more functionality than command prompt--The fact that dir might be more intuitive than ls seems just trivial in comparison. Also, ls is only TWO letters :)

I don't want eleventy billion tutorials. I want one tutorial that will definitely work for my configuration, rather than spend hours on end going through them all, thinking that mayble the next one will include something that deals with the particular quirk in my particular distro that causes all the other ones not to function!


There are eleventy billion tutorials for GNU/Linux because it's so diversified. If you really wanted ONE tutorial for installing a particular distro, chances are if you picked any one out of the myriad tutorials on the intertubes, it'll work. And I doubt even the best made tutorial would cover all the bases--like v1nsai said, there's not a magic Windows tutorial that will tell you everything you have to know for any problems that arise for your configuration. It's better to have eleventy billion so more problems and troubleshooting are covered.
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:01 am UTC

Did I forget to mention that Windows is also kind enough to automatically stop at the end of the first screenful of information when you type dir /?, and does not expect you to have some magical knowledge of More or Less or piping to a text file or configuring your terminal backscroll or tapping Break with lightning reflexes or any of the other dozens of magical things completely unrelated to figuring out what the switches for ls are supposed to do?

lu6cifer wrote:If you really wanted ONE tutorial for installing a particular distro, chances are if you picked any one out of the myriad tutorials on the intertubes, it'll work.
Um, no. Maybe as far as repartitioning goes (until you run into LVM, anyway), but there's already too much diversity in the installers that different distros use.

And I doubt even the best made tutorial would cover all the bases--like v1nsai said, there's not a magic Windows tutorial that will tell you everything you have to know for any problems that arise for your configuration.
But there are far fewer versions of Windows than there are Linux, and consequently far fewer variables to work with.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:12 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Did I forget to mention that Windows is also kind enough to automatically stop at the end of the first screenful of information when you type dir /?, and does not expect you to have some magical knowledge of More or Less or piping to a text file or configuring your terminal backscroll or tapping Break with lightning reflexes or any of the other dozens of magical things completely unrelated to figuring out what the switches for ls are supposed to do?

And man does the same, except it also lets you scroll up. What's your point? Also, pretty much every terminal emulator I've ever used, except the bare Linux console, has a scrollbar turned on by default (and even the bare console has a scrollback method, though it's pretty obscure, and I can never remember the key for it).
[edit] OK, xterm doesn't have the scrollbar visible by default, but the scrollwheel works. And how many casual users will use xterm anyway?

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Did I forget to mention that Windows is also kind enough to automatically stop at the end of the first screenful of information when you type dir /?, and does not expect you to have some magical knowledge of More or Less or piping to a text file or configuring your terminal backscroll or tapping Break with lightning reflexes or any of the other dozens of magical things completely unrelated to figuring out what the switches for ls are supposed to do?

That has nothing to do with Windows. The pagination is actually built into the help functions of the command. It wasn't always like that though, and they still haven't added it to xcopy. In previous versions of Windows and DOS, you had to use MORE or LESS.

Here, you're seeing different philosophies, ideals and goals. If there were no differences, why have different OSes.

Windows: lots of our users are dumb, lets keep them that way - bloat doesn't matter
Linux: bloat and efficiency matter. We already have MORE and LESS, don't duplicate functionality. How hard is it to type | less, anyway?
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 am UTC

As a Linux user I have to agree on this one point. It's really just an unfortunate side effect of an open-source OS becoming popular, but it's still annoying. You have a problem, you Google it. Sometimes you find the answer right away. Other times you find page after page after page of people saying they have the same problem. A few of them will have answers, which don't work for you (and judging from the responses, only you). The actual solution, if you ever find it, is horribly complicated, or introduces an even bigger problem.

Granted, last I used Windows, it had a lot of problems that simply could not be solved (unless someone were to hack the executables, which just doesn't happen). But when there was a solution, you typically found it pretty easily.

The trick is, this isn't because of any fault of Linux. It's simply because every Windows is pretty well the same because of its closed-source nature. On Linux there are a lot more variables, so general solutions are more difficult.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:24 am UTC

I think that's just a low-hanging fruit thing, though...

Like, on Windows, maybe half [statistics completely made up, may not resemble reality] of problems are solvable quickly, half aren't solvable at all (and people who use Windows a lot will have learned not to bother wasting time looking for a solution). On Linux, a bit under half are solvable quickly, most of the rest are solvable with a lot of effort.

So, if you just average effort over all solvable problems, Windows seems to take less effort. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Windows is easier to solve problems on.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Magilla wrote:Here, you're seeing different philosophies, ideals and goals. If there were no differences, why have different OSes.
All well and good, but it gets me really, really steamed when people start saying that Linux is inherently superior, that you are somehow deficient if you actually want to use your computer rather than spend forever twaddling around with customization and regular expressions and such forth, and that everyone could be (and should be) a happy Linux user.

Linux: bloat and efficiency matter. We already have MORE and LESS, don't duplicate functionality.
There are dozens upon dozens of distros, a good many different window managers, and ... oh crikey I could go on forever, and you're talking about not duplicating functionality!?

phlip wrote:Like, on Windows, maybe half [statistics completely made up, may not resemble reality] of problems are solvable quickly, half aren't solvable at all (and people who use Windows a lot will have learned not to bother wasting time looking for a solution). On Linux, a bit under half are solvable quickly, most of the rest are solvable with a lot of effort.
I like this.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:23 am UTC

I use Linux more as a hobby, because I like understanding exactly how everything works. It's an awesome environment to program on because it's so clean and efficient and easy to write for because of it's transparency. But shit doesn't always work right, and Linux is DIY so it's not for everyone.

Anyway, I have to say that it's a pretty dick move on Microsoft's part to lie and stretch their "facts" like that, on both Linux and Mac even!

Said it once and I'll say it again, MS needs to be worrying about Apple. It's turning into a fascist regime but when you buy Apple software for your Apple OS that's running on Apple hardware, you get stable software and a company that knows it's products. There are Apple versions of most major software titles (Quicken, Photoshop, hell World of Warcraft) and Macs are about as stable as Linux if the few Mac users I've ever met are to be believed. Maybe even more so since as I said it's literally Apple EVERYTHING.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:43 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Magilla wrote:Here, you're seeing different philosophies, ideals and goals. If there were no differences, why have different OSes.
All well and good, but it gets me really, really steamed when people start saying that Linux is inherently superior, that you are somehow deficient if you actually want to use your computer rather than spend forever twaddling around with customization and regular expressions and such forth, and that everyone could be (and should be) a happy Linux user.

I'd like to be a happy Windows user, using Windows, rather than compiling lists of things that I want to do but can't because Microsoft won't let me, dealing with BSODs and waiting for years for everything to happen.

Jorpho wrote:
Linux: bloat and efficiency matter. We already have MORE and LESS, don't duplicate functionality.
There are dozens upon dozens of distros, a good many different window managers, and ... oh crikey I could go on forever, and you're talking about not duplicating functionality!?

Yes, yes I am. I'm talking about duplicating functionality within each distro, and/or for non-trivial applications.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow
Posts: 3819
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm UTC
Location: Tucson, Arizona

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Giant Speck » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:17 am UTC

v1nsai wrote:Linux is definitely NOT for the public.

Try telling that to Canonical, Red Hat, and Novell.

User avatar
Magilla
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC
Location: Esperance, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Magilla » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 am UTC

Giant Speck wrote:
v1nsai wrote:Linux is definitely NOT for the public.

Try telling that to Canonical, Red Hat, and Novell.

And the public that are already using it.
They perceive my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and have thus concluded that I am of Caucasian decent, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

User avatar
Shro
science genius girl
Posts: 2139
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am UTC
Location: im in ur heartz, stealin ur luv.
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Shro » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 am UTC

Magilla wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
v1nsai wrote:Linux is definitely NOT for the public.

Try telling that to Canonical, Red Hat, and Novell.

And the public that are already using it.

And my 11 year old sister that I got to use ubuntu and has been with no problems.
/not REALLY helping as the point has been made already. repeatedly.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

Magilla wrote:I'd like to be a happy Windows user, using Windows, rather than compiling lists of things that I want to do but can't because Microsoft won't let me, dealing with BSODs and waiting for years for everything to happen.
Fine, but not everybody care about things that Microsoft won't let them do, and certainly not enough to start making lists of them!

And BSODs are much more a thing of the past, or at least pop up no more frequently than much more mysterious Linux problems.

Jorpho wrote:
Linux: bloat and efficiency matter. We already have MORE and LESS, don't duplicate functionality.
There are dozens upon dozens of distros, a good many different window managers, and ... oh crikey I could go on forever, and you're talking about not duplicating functionality!?

Yes, yes I am. I'm talking about duplicating functionality within each distro, and/or for non-trivial applications.
How nice that MORE and LESS are non-trivial, but the great many text editors and other apps in each distro that the typical desktop user might actually want to use are trivial.

Magilla wrote:
Giant Speck wrote:
v1nsai wrote:Linux is definitely NOT for the public.

Try telling that to Canonical, Red Hat, and Novell.

And the public that are already using it.

All, what, 3% of them? The number isn't large.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26529
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

And it's higher than what it was a few years ago, which is higher than what it was a few years before that, repeat you see where I'm going with this.

Market share is also really really hard to track. With Mac and Windows, you have sales figures and can roughly estimate what's going on and have hits to update servers and so on. With Linux you have.... dozens if not hundreds of variants on different servers with different tracking statistics (which they may not even release) which of course doesn't translate to Linux use (as it could just be a dual-boot situation where someone fires up Linux every now and again for a single app before shutting it down when they're done - while Windows is still counting the opposite as part of their market share) so...

Yeah, most estimates range between 1 and 10% market share. Higher outside of North America and Europe.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Geez, this is turning into war. No one is attacking your precious Windows jorpho, don't get your feelings hurt. If your happy with Windows, stick with it man! I know there are elitist Linux users out there just like there's elitist Windows users like you out there, but when you assume that all are you really do make an ass of yourself in an otherwise calm and rational conversation. We're all educated people here, we can talk without flinging feces and beating on our chests.

I meant for this to be a discussion on what Microsoft is doing and maybe what everyone thinks will happen to Windows in the future. Besides jorpho, I haven't met very many Windows users who are happy with it, but they don't want to switch to Mac because it's so different and may not have all the commercial software they want (and they're more expensive for less raw power) but are afraid to switch to Linux because it pretty much requires you to learn all new software (no quicken, no photoshop etc, sure we have clones but they're not the same).

I think that unless Microsoft really knocks it out of the park with Win7, everyone's dissent over Vista AND the new Windows will see a migration away from Windows to.....something.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Squid Tamer
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 am UTC
Location: Over there
Contact:

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Squid Tamer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Linux is safer than windows: False

There's no guarantee that when security vulnerabilities are discovered, an update will be created.
Users are left on their own.


So when any significant vulnerability is discovered... Really, I think it's best to not have a perfect defense surrounding a a bomb shelter, than to have a rather good one surrounding a shelter made out of a cardboard box. :)

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

v1nsai wrote:No one is attacking your precious Windows jorpho

But you said
v1nsai wrote:I really think that these days the only reason everybody uses Windows is because everybody uses Windows.
Maybe there's a good reason that a lot of people use Windows! Maybe Microsoft is even right in warning a lot of those people away from using Linux!

I think that unless Microsoft really knocks it out of the park with Win7, everyone's dissent over Vista AND the new Windows will see a migration away from Windows to.....something.
I think a lot of people might just try to get away for using XP as long as they can.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

That wasn't an attack on Windows man, chill. I've even got a Windows joke in my sig, I used it all my life until about a year ago. That was a statement of my believe about the state of things. The majority of Windows users have no clue about the inner workings of it or how to use anything else out there, nor do they care haha. They use it because they're used to it. I certainly don't blame them, I plan to drive the same car until it explodes. I don't give a crap about cars and I don't want to take the time to find alternatives.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
lu6cifer
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:03 am UTC
Location: That state with the all-important stone

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby lu6cifer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:06 pm UTC

v1nsai wrote:I really think that these days the only reason everybody uses Windows is because everybody uses Windows.
Maybe there's a good reason that a lot of people use Windows! Maybe Microsoft is even right in warning a lot of those people away from using Linux!


Do you really believe that?
lu6cifer wrote:"Derive" in place of "differentiate" is even worse.

doogly wrote:I'm partial to "throw some d's on that bitch."

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

v1nsai wrote:The majority of Windows users have no clue about the inner workings of it or how to use anything else out there, nor do they care haha. They use it because they're used to it.
I think a given user can maintain that state of blissful ignorance for much longer on a Windows machine than he or she could on a Linux machine.

lu6cifer wrote:Do you really believe that?
Yes, yes I do.

v1nsai
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:15 am UTC
Location: Florida

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby v1nsai » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:28 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
v1nsai wrote:The majority of Windows users have no clue about the inner workings of it or how to use anything else out there, nor do they care haha. They use it because they're used to it.
I think a given user can maintain that state of blissful ignorance for much longer on a Windows machine than he or she could on a Linux machine.


Exactly, we Linux users don't consider that ignorance to be blissful, we like to fuck with things :mrgreen:
My desktop looks nothing like any other desktop, windows, linux or mac. I was able to customize where I wanted buttons, icons and menus to the T. Stuff like that just isn't possible in either Mac or Windows.

Neither is inherently better or worse jorpho get off your high horse, nothing is perfect for everyone.
C:\dos
C:\dos.run
run dos.run

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6290
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Microsoft smears Linux in Best Buy training videos

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:52 am UTC

v1nsai wrote:Exactly, we Linux users don't consider that ignorance to be blissful, we like to fuck with things :mrgreen:
My desktop looks nothing like any other desktop, windows, linux or mac. I was able to customize where I wanted buttons, icons and menus to the T. Stuff like that just isn't possible in either Mac or Windows.

Neither is inherently better or worse jorpho get off your high horse, nothing is perfect for everyone.
Who is on a high horse here? You make it sound like there is something wrong with not caring if your buttons, icons, and menus look like everyone else's.


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests