Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Stairgate: Universe

Postby ArgonV » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Has anyone seen the pilot? I certainly think the series has promise, but I want to see a few more episodes before I make my call. It seemed very reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica and I'm not sure if I want a Stargate like that.

There are other obvious similarities. Look at Rush and Balthar. They're both scientists, they both created the mess they're in (Balthar for giving Caprica Six the codes to the network, Rush because he just HAD to dial the Destiny instead of Earth) and neither of them is purely evil or good. Rush seemed to be an arrogant SOB at first,
Spoiler:
but consoling the girl (Chloe?) seemed genuine to me.

Oh, and did I mention the scheming? :mrgreen:

Rush is still the most interesting character so far. Maybe even the only interesting character.

I just hope Eli doesn't become a laughable character. I mean, McKay was funny, but you still took him serious. Let's see if they can do that for him.

And what's with master sergeant Psycho? I'd expect the SGC to screen their personnel for stuff like antisocial disorders...
ArgonV

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby Ledah » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:46 pm UTC

I liked the pilot. It seems this stargate will be more heavy on character development and less on awesome tech of doom stuff. I think I like that, i was getting a bit tired of the cycle ->

1) Small problem. That turns to
2) Very big life/mankind threatening situation until
3a) McKay pulls something out of his ass -> go to 1)
or
3b) Find piece of ancient/wraith/someone godly technology that is insanely powerful, and then you
4) Win, until
5) Lose control of the tech/blow it up/do something stupid. Now you can start over.

Seriously, for the first few seasons of Stargate Atlantis, every time they found a big ship it'd get blown up in the same episode or the next one.
Ledah

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

I'm up for a character-driven, dramatic Stargate. I haven't seen any Atlantis, and only the first few seasons of SG-1 (working on it), so perhaps I'm less attached to what I think Stargate 'should be', compared to the die-hard fans.

The pilot was interesting, but it did drag a little. Most of the characters appear to have been ripped off from somewhere.

Rush is basically Baltar, as ArgonV pointed out (you'd think they'd see the similarity and try to distance the characters, but no -- they even give him the same haircut). Still, perhaps the resemblance will turn out to be superficial.

Eli is Topher from Dollhouse, and is slightly annoying for the same reasons that Topher was in the beginning.

Young is a humorless version of Jack O'Neill.

Scott, Chloe and the medic whose name I forget are not very well fleshed out at this point, though they each had a couple of character development moments. The psycho soldier is an interesting concept, but the execution hasn't been very compelling.

It'll take another couple of episodes before I can tell whether I like this or not.
Last edited by Nath on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Nath

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

Yeah, I just finished watching this and I'm not feeling too strongly one way or the other. I hope it's good, but this first episode didn't particularly impress me. (At the same time, it wasn't a disappointment either, which was a bit of a relief.)

Although I thought they did a good job making the viewer distrust Rush just as much as the rest of the crew does. I keep thinking everything he says is just part of some greater scheme. (Perhaps a Xanatos Gambit? I could definitely see Rush being capable of pulling something like that off.)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.
Wolf

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:12 am UTC

I like the show so far. Yes, it has a definite Battlestar Galactica feel. But I think that's because it's focus is primarily on characters (ie. their worst enemy is often times each other) and because of the whole "scarce resources" thing. At least, it seems that way to me.

As for the Rush vs. Baltar comparison. I'm not really buying it. Baltar gave Six the codes and essentially screwed over humanity by accident. Afterwards, he's more or less scrambling to stay alive and undiscovered for screwing over so many people. He's changes from selflessness to selfless and then back.

I don't think Rush is selfish. He's just got his goal (perhaps having to do with whom I suspect to be his dead wife) and following it. Is it an evil goal? I dunno. I don't think he wants everyone to die per se either. But he believes he's so smart that it's not worth dealing with other people as opposed to McKay who has a bit of an ego and would like to flaunt a bit when given the opportunity/ like to belittle people a bit.

Anyway, I like the premise so I plan to watch it. Also the musical score ain't bad either.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 am UTC

Just curious. I haven't finished Stargate Atlantis, yet. I've still gotta watch the last 17 episodes or so. Does anything that happens at the end of Atlantis have any bearing on what happens in Universe?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:06 am UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Just curious. I haven't finished Stargate Atlantis, yet. I've still gotta watch the last 17 episodes or so. Does anything that happens at the end of Atlantis have any bearing on what happens in Universe?

I'm a few seasons into SG-1. Can I watch Universe without spoiling anything?
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.
Princess Marzipan
Bananas are fish who attack divers inland

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:37 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Just curious. I haven't finished Stargate Atlantis, yet. I've still gotta watch the last 17 episodes or so. Does anything that happens at the end of Atlantis have any bearing on what happens in Universe?
Yes, so far in any case. There is a tiny bit of bleedover in the way of tech (7+ chevrons, one or two ancient devices found during SG-1 series), but nothing plot related really.
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Nath » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:40 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:

I'm in the same situation (season 4 of SG-1), and risked it. Nothing seemed spoiled, though you'll find out that certain SG-1 characters survive long enough to appear briefly in SGU. And, yeah, a bit of tech.
Nath

Postby Wolf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Okita wrote:Also the musical score ain't bad either.

I noticed this, too. I especially like the piece that played when

Spoiler:
The soldier and the Senator's daughter were talking about the Senator's death.

It was great at adding flavor but never got in the way of the dialogue, and only really rose up when no one was talking. (One of my major problems with some TV shows is that I have a hard time hearing the characters talk over the too-loud background music.)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.
Wolf

Postby Auwolf » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

I suppose I knew what I was getting into when they said they were going to focus on character development. Eli Wallace I found annoying, he seemed like a much younger version of Rodney McKay but more irritating. Dr. Rush I found the most interesting because of his complex personality. Or that soldier with the anger problems they have a lot of options story wise.

Maybe it isn't the show for me, since I like explosions every 2 seconds and drama isn't my genre. It's nothing in comparison to SG-1 or Atlantis but then again its focus is entirely different.

The ending gave me some hope for some excitement, we'll have to wait and see.

"I had a dream too. It wasn't good though. I dreamt I was a moron." -Squall Leonhart
Auwolf

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:46 pm UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:I'm a few seasons into SG-1. Can I watch Universe without spoiling anything?

Well from what I can see the continuity places SG:U near the end if not after Atlantis' storyline. So the only spoilers that I noticed would be seeing what characters from SG:1 are doing in the future (and consequently determining which are still alive and the like).
Chen

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:23 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Rush seemed to be an arrogant SOB at first,
Spoiler:
but consoling the girl (Chloe?) seemed genuine to me.

Oh, and did I mention the scheming? :mrgreen:

Spoiler:
Did you notice how he said that he'd do everything to make sure their lives were not taken in vain but explicitly did not say he'd get everyone home?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Yeah, Rush is really only "evil" in the "I will risk lives to achive what I think is a noble goal" sense rather than the selfish sense.
Eli isn't too bad, he's young and inexperienced enough for the magnitude of the situation to keep his ego in check for now allthough that may change as things progress.

I did always wonder why there were nine chevrons when a gate address was seven.

Personally I'm hoping this bunch actually shows a bit of character, grows up, and pulls together as opposed to the metric buttload of personal BS issues that BG showed.
Sockmonkey

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

I don't really buy the Rush-Baltar thing either, and Carlyle's acting blows everyone else out of the water when they're in the same scene (imo), so I'm not complaining about Rush so far. I did think this has the potential for elements of sliders of all things, in that:
Spoiler:
the countdown-to-FTL clock on the wall is bound to lead to loads of situations where they have to frantically try to get back to the gate in time before the ship leaves them behind.

Overall, as others have said - I didn't think it was a bad first episode, but it didn't blow me away. I'll keep watching for a bit and see if it sucks me in.
Adacore

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

It occurs to me that now they know where they are (relatively), couldn't they eventually go home through normal gates? It would just be like the Midway Pegasus --> Milky Way network but on a much larger scale.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:58 pm UTC

Okita wrote:It occurs to me that now they know where they are (relatively), couldn't they eventually go home through normal gates? It would just be like the Midway Pegasus --> Milky Way network but on a much larger scale.

Didn't that gate bridge only work because they moved a lot of gates around? And wasn't the Atlantis gate the only one capable of dialong OUT of Pegasus?
Chen

Postby Moo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I watched the Sky (UK) premier last night and I thought the first half of the pilot dragged but by the end of the second half I really wanted to know what happens to these characters. Granted that was mostly focused on Rush and to a small degree Chloe but I'm keen to keep watching.

I don't tend to watch behind the scene stuff but the trailers for the accompanying behind the scene stuff had a clip of Robert Carlyle saying "we wanted to do something grittier, darker" and I completed in my head "so basically we wanted to be BSG". That is an observation rather than a criticism; for one thing that remains to be seen, for another if BSG starts a move towards more gritty, realistic sci-fi is that so bad?

I agree that Rush is the only really good character so far. I'm glad
Spoiler:
Cnl Young (that is the commanding officer, right?) didn't die, it would have been far too reminiscent of the start of Atlantis
Cnl Young, Eli and Chloe and the young officer dude had potential (Matthew Scott, I think?) but are yet to get interesting. The medic (Tamara) didn't do anything for me (and I hate her hairstyle but that's just me :P ) .

I will keep watching with interest for now. Also, want a flying camera diary.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Okita » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Okita wrote:It occurs to me that now they know where they are (relatively), couldn't they eventually go home through normal gates? It would just be like the Midway Pegasus --> Milky Way network but on a much larger scale.

Didn't that gate bridge only work because they moved a lot of gates around? And wasn't the Atlantis gate the only one capable of dialong OUT of Pegasus?

That's entirely possible.
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

Earth could dial Atlantis if they had a ZPM. At the beginning they only had like 2 I think and when a ship was on route, that meant no earth dialing. Also, they were seemingly out of power on Atlantis for the first two seasons but after that, they had infinite power.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby Zorlin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:01 am UTC

mosc wrote:Earth could dial Atlantis if they had a ZPM. At the beginning they only had like 2 I think and when a ship was on route, that meant no earth dialing. Also, they were seemingly out of power on Atlantis for the first two seasons but after that, they had infinite power.

That's kinda what ruined the show for me.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.
Zorlin

Postby guyy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:10 am UTC

I can't say I like the look of this show so far; it just looks too much like it should be called "BattleStargate"... mostly uninteresting characters, semi-explicit sex, etc. It even uses Battlestar-style ugly digital effects that make it look like a generic FPS game.

The plot gets a bit questionable, too, like when
Spoiler:
they need to close off a door to keep air from escaping, and they only way is to press a button inside, meaning (dun dun dunnnn) someone has to go in and suffocate to save the rest. It doesn't make sense, though. Why didn't they just use one of the floaty-ball-camera-orbs to press the button? Or tie a heavy object to a rope, make a simple pulley, and drop the object on the button from outside? Or...you know, anything besides the only solution any of them thought of?

I'll have to see how the next few episodes go, but so far it looks like my pessimistic reaction to the previews was right (for me, anyway).
guyy

Postby Okita » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:50 am UTC

In the 3rd part of Air...

Spoiler:
I think they ended up stranding and effectively killing Palmer and Curtis. Only Franklin at the time knew how to get the override and he was shot + unconscious. So... Palmer and Curtis are stuck on a planet by themselves. O.o

That's actually really unsettling. I hope they didn't just let them die... but I think they did. Especially since both actors don't seem to be in any other episodes.

It's only 80 people on the ship! You can't afford redshirts with that few people!
Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:24 am UTC

Wait, what? This started already?

I suppose there's no chance I can get it on basic cable in Canada.
Jorpho

Postby Megatriorchis » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:55 am UTC

Okita wrote:In the 3rd part of Air...

Spoiler:
I think they ended up stranding and effectively killing Palmer and Curtis. Only Franklin at the time knew how to get the override and he was shot + unconscious. So... Palmer and Curtis are stuck on a planet by themselves. O.o

That's actually really unsettling. I hope they didn't just let them die... but I think they did. Especially since both actors don't seem to be in any other episodes.

It's only 80 people on the ship! You can't afford redshirts with that few people!
Spoiler:
I'm sort of glad they got rid of those two. What they did was stupid. Although, it would be pretty bad to let them die. But they went on their own free will, and probably knew they were doing something potentially foolish.

Oh yeah, and about not affording redshirts with only a few people....look at Lost! The flight 815 passengers were only a few people, but they managed to have plenty of casualties from their number.
I like this show so far, and I'll probably keep watching it, but it would do better without the melodrama and the BSG style. Rush is probably my favorite character so far.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!
Megatriorchis

Postby Zorlin » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:58 am UTC

First off, disclaimer: I love Stargate: Atlantis, and I love Stargate: SG-1. Having seen trailers and such I did not have high hopes for this.

But, I trawled through the premiere, and just finished watching the latest episode. I didn't think I'd at all be into this, but
Spoiler:
I was breathing manually at the end. I was actually kinda holding my breath at some point despite knowing they were totally going to make it. The suspense is actually pretty good.

Spoiler:
I also thought the heavy sunburns were a nice touch.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.
Zorlin

Postby Nath » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 am UTC

I liked this episode. They actually managed to build up a little tension at the end. They also fleshed out Scott and Greer a bit; Chloe is still not interesting, though. Rush is also seeming a little less Baltarish; I liked that bit with him and Greer.

Other thoughts/questions:
Spoiler:
I thought the decision to switch actors when the communication device was in use didn't work very well.

Did one of the redshirts say that calcium sulfate is 36% calcium carbonate? Bwuh?

What was that thing that flew off at the end?

What was with the swirly things in the desert?
Nath

Postby ArgonV » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

In response to Nath:

Spoiler:
I'm guessing we'll find out what that thing was in one of the next episodes

I'm guessing the swirly thing was either some form of life or an ascended ancient trying to help the expedition

I didn't get the 36% either. Maybe she wasn't a proper chemist? Calcium carbonate is CaCO3 and calcium sulfate is CaSO4, right? Maybe she was referring to atomic weight ratios or something similar? :P One is about 100 g/mol, the other 136 g/mol, maybe that's the problem?

So the three people who went of to the other planet are shafted? Or might they come back later?

Also, something about the pilot episode still:

Spoiler:
I thought Destiny was supposed to seed Stargates throughout the galaxies, so why is it making contact with gates already present in that galaxy? Shouldn't it be moving on?
ArgonV

Postby Awia » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Spoiler:
They said in the first episode that Destiny is a ship following the seeder ship, the ancients were going to use it by stargating to it then exploring the places it goes near but then they ascended.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome
Awia

Postby ArgonV » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Ok, so I misunderstood :oops:
ArgonV

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It was my understanding that a gate had to be near enough to a planet to use it as a point of origin in the address in order to function so how can they gate from the ship out in space like that?
Sockmonkey

Postby Sana » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:38 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:It was my understanding that a gate had to be near enough to a planet to use it as a point of origin in the address in order to function so how can they gate from the ship out in space like that?

The ship knows where it is and so it knows what point of origin to use, and it can therefore dial the Stargate. I do not believe that planets themselves have points of origin, but rather locations in space have points of origin.
Sana

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:20 pm UTC

In one of the first two episodes Rush says that O'neill said he was in charge. I had just assumed that was a bluff, but it appears in this last episode to be confirmed Rush actually did communicate with Earth. So is he actually in charge?

I dislike the irrationality of some of the characters. The guy from earth who took over the colonel's body and was pushing it too hard. How ridiculous was that? And the psycho marine is really pissing me off. I can't see how the people in charge would accept that kind of a loose cannon. Even in this situation someone as mentally unstable as him is FAR more of a detriment than a benefit. They're trying to make flawed characters like BSG but its just coming off as forced. BSG was almost literally the last vestiges of humanity. This is 80 people stuck on a ship and who still have direct communication with Earth. It just doesnt seem to justify some of the ridiculous behavior that some people are putting up with.
Chen

Postby toxi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:55 am UTC

At first I was excited to have another Stargate going on (it was sort of a ritual for me to watch an SG1 each week, then SGA, and then it was over). The show's been running pretty much non-stop since 1997, so I basically grew up with stargate.

But that's about it. I think SGU kinda took the worst from similar shows, e.g. the emphasis on characters from BSG (which works in BSG, but not here), the ever-increasing stupidity of command decisions from Stargate and so on.

For example,
Spoiler:
  • In Air 2, after watching the development of the civilian 18-something Eli character, I said that they're gonna give him a gun in the next episode. And they did. To a teenage geek with discipline issues. To guard an empty, lifeless desert.
  • Sacrificing a man to push a button on the other side of an electric door to close it shut. What happened to cracking the gearbox open and just crossing two wires to close it? Or just cranking the damn thing?

... and so on. The good ol' stargate was written with actual military advisors ... well, giving advice about how to do stuff logically. When they
Spoiler:
captured Teal'c in the first episode, it took some time before they even let him out of his cuffs, he had to prove himself.

While in later stargates and in ... this, when they stumble upon a yet another alien pal character, they give him a gun and a frickin squad to boss around on the spot!

But I'm gonna watch it anyway, 'cause it has a big spinning ring with wormholes in it. Spinning is so much better than not spinning.
toxi

Postby keozen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Meh to most of the criticisms so far, I'm liking it.

Spoiler Tag time:
Spoiler:
In Ep 3 you saw Eli dialing after the other two that had buggered off to the other planet and trying to radio them through the gate, they didn't respond. The shot was done in such a way that suggested that it may not have been his first attempt to contact them. I therefore declare that they must have been eaten by raptors on the other side.

The ship detaching from Destiny at the end of Ep 3 was an interesting teaser. It doesn't look to be of the same design as the rest of destiny so I'd say it's something else.

I want a Keyno.
keozen
I posted in the custom title thread and all I got was this lousy placeholder.

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

What was the name of the song they were playing at the end of the episode? I thought it really added great flavor to the ending.
Sockmonkey

Postby Alder » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

keozen wrote:Meh to most of the criticisms so far, I'm liking it.

Spoiler Tag time:
Spoiler:
In Ep 3 you saw Eli dialing after the other two that had buggered off to the other planet and trying to radio them through the gate, they didn't respond. The shot was done in such a way that suggested that it may not have been his first attempt to contact them. I therefore declare that they must have been eaten by raptors on the other side.

The ship detaching from Destiny at the end of Ep 3 was an interesting teaser. It doesn't look to be of the same design as the rest of destiny so I'd say it's something else.

I want a Keyno.

Spoiler:
You're not the first person to suggest "eaten by dinosaurs", it's a big favourite at a Stargate forum I visit. :D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.
Alder
pro-Shrub

Postby Megatriorchis » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

keozen wrote:
Spoiler:
I want a Keyno.
So do I, but I'd put silver foil on it to make it look like a disco ball. :D
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!
Megatriorchis

Postby Sockmonkey » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

I'd use it for lightsaber practice.
Sockmonkey

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I like it so far. From watching most of SG1 and a tiny bit of Atlantis, this seems sufficiently different to be an interesting sci-fi show in its own right.
Spoiler:
Regarding the two red-shirts who got stranded: didn't the angry black guy say they'd send another remote through to them so they could dial back to the desert planet? We never actually see them do this, but then we also never see anyone lament over two people going MIA.

As a side note, I'm actually really hoping that they never encounter any aliens. I think there's enough drama potential without them, and adding rubber-forehead aliens would just ruin the whole "we're all alone out here" thing. The fact that they can still keep in contact with Earth via the blue stones already rankles slightly.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows