Stairgate: Universe

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Stargate: Universe

Postby Xeio » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:46 am UTC

I liked the videos. Especially the "I can't stand earthquakes... but it might be nice" one. :mrgreen:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Theory:
Spoiler:
The ship runs on solar power, and is just heading towards the star in order to recharge the batteries. Calling it now.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Theory:
Spoiler:
The ship runs on solar power, and is just heading towards the star in order to recharge the batteries. Calling it now.
Oh, I so called that in my head already. :P

Habz

Postby Habz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:The fact that they can still keep in contact with Earth via the blue stones already rankles slightly.

The whole busines with the stones irks the shit out of me. I guess this is just semantics, but I'd assume it could be pretty hard to function in someone else's body, not to mention how someone's consciousness prefectly fits anyone's brains...?

Anyway... I was wondering why didn't they use the stones to bring aboard someone from the SGC, who could actually help Rush. Like Samantha Carter or Daniel Jackson. Rodney McKay would probably be the best alternative.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

They're all busy doing something else?

Spoiler:
Why bother running the ship on solar power, seems kinda silly for a ship that flies through empty space for most of the time, that's definitely going to be what the ship's going to do but it just seems stupid.

Now running it on fusion power and ram scooping interstellar hydrogen makes more sense, the dip through the gas giant would have fueled ya right back up.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

Awia wrote:They're all busy doing something else?

Spoiler:
Why bother running the ship on solar power, seems kinda silly for a ship that flies through empty space for most of the time, that's definitely going to be what the ship's going to do but it just seems stupid.

Now running it on fusion power and ram scooping interstellar hydrogen makes more sense, the dip through the gas giant would have fueled ya right back up.

Spoiler:
Yeah, but this way they squeeze an extra episode out of the plotline.

Man, I enjoyed Air in that it was an interesting setup for a series, but Darkness felt like I just watching SG-1 again but with all of the moods magnified - the silly parts were sillier and the dramatic parts were dramaticier. Now I'm actually sort of upset I can't just watch the next one now like I've been doing with SG-1.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Yeah, I thought
Spoiler:
having a two-parter right after a three-parter
was kind of annoying. :roll:
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:44 am UTC

I think that's just the nature of the show. There won't be many stories that neatly wrap up in 43 minutes.

I don't think I was paying attention to the part in the first episode where they explained how the communication device worked, or how it figures out who you want to communicate with. Did anyone catch that?

I like the fact that they've been giving the background characters a bit of personality. A lot of the minor bits of dialog are pretty natural for a TV show. The Eli/Chloe thread is becoming a bit cringe-worthy, though.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:56 am UTC

Nath wrote:I don't think I was paying attention to the part in the first episode where they explained how the communication device worked, or how it figures out who you want to communicate with. Did anyone catch that?
The last person to touch the stone on the other side is the person you contact/swap with.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I doubt it fully runs on solar power, but its bound to have some sort of solar backup so it can at least get SOME power online. I'd guess it would then use some sort of ramscoop to get some of the solar hydrogen or whatever and start re-running its generators.

What I don't get is why everyone is so worried. They're like "Oh me yarm it changed our course too much". I want to know how they jumped to that conclusion. If I was on a ship that just adjusted its course to go through a gas giant I'd assume it would have SOME goal in mind and thus also assume it would do its calculations properly.

As for those stones, they really need to get rid of them. I mean why wouldn't the medic (or really some random Joe Schmoe) get replaced by a real doctor at least for a bit so they could properly take care of the wounded. And really I'm sure they could spare McKay or Carter for a day or two to help out 80 or so people who are pretty much in mortal danger. The stones will, of course, never be used intelligently and just as a stupid plot device when they need something from earth...despite the fact they already need a ridiculous number of things from earth and they haven't bothered using the stones to get them.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:56 pm UTC

Here's an idea. Can't they use the stones to swap bodies with death-row criminals and thus escape the ship that way? Yeah, they'd be in the bodies of criminals, but that's better than dying or starvation/dehydration/asphyxia/etc billions of LY away.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Here's an idea. Can't they use the stones to swap bodies with death-row criminals and thus escape the ship that way? Yeah, they'd be in the bodies of criminals, but that's better than dying or starvation/dehydration/asphyxia/etc billions of LY away.

Its unclear how the link is broken, but it doesn't seem that hard. I suspect moving the stones off the pad automatically breaks the link for both people (since in the last episode we see the colonel get back into his body despite the fact his body is nowhere near the stone on the ship).

Awia

Postby Awia » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

I forget how the stones worked from SG1 but I think only one pair can swap at a time, so at maximum they'd only be able to swap over 5 people.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Don't they switch back if one of the users is killed or am I remembering wrong?

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:45 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Don't they switch back if one of the users is killed or am I remembering wrong?

SG-1 season 9:
Spoiler:
Vala was burned to death while using one and didn't get put back in her own body

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:57 am UTC

Karrion wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:Don't they switch back if one of the users is killed or am I remembering wrong?

SG-1 season 9:
Spoiler:
Vala was burned to death while using one and didn't get put back in her own body

Spoiler:
Then how did she make it out of that again? I forgot.

Karrion

Postby Karrion » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
Karrion wrote:SG-1 season 9:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Then how did she make it out of that again? I forgot.

Spoiler:
A Prior resurrected her. IIRC, it was on the somewhat flimsy premise of wanting to question her and Daniel about other dissidents in the village but really it was part of the carrot-and-stick approach to converting the Milky Way to Origin.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Spoiler:
They destroyed the stones and the device they were plugged into, by throwing the whole contraption into an opening wormhole.

I just got to that episode, like, yesterday. Gradually getting to the end of the series...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

JBJ

Postby JBJ » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Chen wrote:As for those stones, they really need to get rid of them. I mean why wouldn't the medic (or really some random Joe Schmoe) get replaced by a real doctor at least for a bit so they could properly take care of the wounded. And really I'm sure they could spare McKay or Carter for a day or two to help out 80 or so people who are pretty much in mortal danger. The stones will, of course, never be used intelligently and just as a stupid plot device when they need something from earth...despite the fact they already need a ridiculous number of things from earth and they haven't bothered using the stones to get them.

This. Exactly this.
Hell, even if McKay or Carter weren't available, send O'Niell through. He used to be MacGyver. He could build a fusion reactor from two rolls of duct tape, a paper clip, four rubber bands, and a can opener for crying out loud.
I'm still giving the show a chance having loved SG-1 and SGA, but it's about two episodes away from being dropped on my DVR list.
So, you sacked the cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker?
The second cocky khaki Kicky Sack sock plucker I've sacked since the sixth sitting sheet slitter got sick.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:10 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Wait, what? This started already?

I suppose there's no chance I can get it on basic cable in Canada.
So... That's a 'no', right? And I guess it's not being made (legally) available over the Internet either.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

JBJ wrote:
Chen wrote:As for those stones, they really need to get rid of them. I mean why wouldn't the medic (or really some random Joe Schmoe) get replaced by a real doctor at least for a bit so they could properly take care of the wounded. And really I'm sure they could spare McKay or Carter for a day or two to help out 80 or so people who are pretty much in mortal danger. The stones will, of course, never be used intelligently and just as a stupid plot device when they need something from earth...despite the fact they already need a ridiculous number of things from earth and they haven't bothered using the stones to get them.

This. Exactly this.
Hell, even if McKay or Carter weren't available, send O'Niell through. He used to be MacGyver. He could build a fusion reactor from two rolls of duct tape, a paper clip, four rubber bands, and a can opener for crying out loud.
I'm still giving the show a chance having loved SG-1 and SGA, but it's about two episodes away from being dropped on my DVR list.

Agreed. When they fail to make the people use a little common sense and miss obvious solutions it just makes me want to smack the writers. It's a total cop-out to keep the tension going with stupidity. This is the second major idiot move on the part of the characters that should have been obvious. It's starting to look like a pattern.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:So... That's a 'no', right? And I guess it's not being made (legally) available over the Internet either.

Its being played on Space in Canada. You can check out their website (www.spacecast.com I think) since I know they do stream some shows (like Defying Gravity). They may be streaming this too.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

I entirely agree with the stones being used completely irrationally. The ability to bring any expert they need onto the ship is blindingly obvious, hell with five stones they could have an entire Earth-based science team (including McCay and Carter) working full time on the ship until they solved all the problems. The idea that they wouldn't have thought of this or would somehow have decided not to do it is ridiculous.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

In Air part two, it was also ridiculous that
Spoiler:
they left that whole crew on the ship instead of letting them just sit by the stargate on the other side to get some fresh air before they jump back into FTL with no idea when their next fresh breath would be.

Also: why wouldn't air travel through the stargate? Air is matter too, isn't it? If that's the case they should have gotten some decent air for a while longer from when that wormhole was active.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Moo wrote:
Spoiler:
Also: why wouldn't air travel through the stargate? Air is matter too, isn't it? If that's the case they should have gotten some decent air for a while longer from when that wormhole was active.

Spoiler:
They explained it in an SG-1 episode where they gated underwater. The stargate only takes matter that exerts a net force on the wormhole, as a safeguard or something like that. It didn't make much sense, but it would be logical for them to include that feature when so many stargates in Atlantis are in orbit instead of on the ground.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

Moo wrote:In Air part two, it was also ridiculous that
Spoiler:
they left that whole crew on the ship instead of letting them just sit by the stargate on the other side to get some fresh air before they jump back into FTL with no idea when their next fresh breath would be.

That struck me too, but that could easily be explained away by saying that it would have used up too much energy. They do often say that the Stargate is an energy hog.

Moo wrote:
Spoiler:

In SG-1, they say that Stargates have built-in safeguards that keep air etc. out of incoming wormholes. Presumably, they haven't figured out how to get around this.

(Ninjad.)

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:33 am UTC

Ok, thanks for that, Nath and headprogrammingczar.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.
Hawknc wrote:FFT: I didn't realise Proverbs 9:7-8 was the first recorded instance of "haters gonna hate"

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

I'm still liking it on the whole, although "Darkness" was indeed a dip compared to the opening 3 parter. We'll have to see how this weeks one holds out.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

keozen wrote:I'm still liking it on the whole, although "Darkness" was indeed a dip compared to the opening 3 parter. We'll have to see how this weeks one holds out.

I actually thought it was an improvement.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Tonight's episode was as bland and predictable as oatmeal. They tried to shoehorn a little tension in at the end but still pretty blah.

Chirios

Postby Chirios » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

I don't understand why people don't like this show. It's really well written, it's got good acting, and a good plot, in other words: it's a good show. As for the issue with McKay and Samantha, well, 1) both of those people have other equally important things to do (especially if the Lucien Alliance now have tech that can stand up to Asgard tech); and 2) they wouldn't really be able to help anyway. There's no way to fix the ship since they have no tools, no resources, and no equipment. That's what the show is, they have a scientist who is equal to both Sam and Mckay, but they have no real way to implement him. Plus everyone else on the ship is either a completely unnecessary civilian, or is a soldier with no idea about how to handle ancient technology. So they're all scared, they all have no idea about what to do, except for this one scientist who is midly sociopathic.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Damn. I called it and I was right.
Spoiler:
The ship runs on solar power.
I would have really liked it to have been something completely different, but no.

I'm still going to keep watching though, because despite that predictability, I still think it's a good show. Given that we all knew what the outcome would be, it was okay.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:34 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It didn't actually look like solar power as we have, it was ancient-o-magic.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
From what I could tell, it seemed to lower some kind of ram scoop to collect plasma from the star.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

I like how
Spoiler:
because Rush was such an ass at the beginning, the "captain" (I forget his name/rank) suspected he knew what would happen, despite that he was the most surprised of all of them.
<Cheese> I love you

Sockmonkey

Postby Sockmonkey » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
From what I could tell, it seemed to lower some kind of ram scoop to collect plasma from the star.

Spoiler:
Yeah, it seems like it must run on plain old hydrogen fusion rather than a ZPM. It kind of makes sense that something meant to run for so long would run on something replenishable. How long do ZPMs last when running at full power? I forget.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, it seems like it must run on plain old hydrogen fusion rather than a ZPM. It kind of makes sense that something meant to run for so long would run on something replenishable. How long do ZPMs last when running at full power? I forget.

Spoiler:
Not sure, but Rush also said Destiny is a lot older than Ancient technology that utilises the ATA-gene, so maybe ZPMs weren't even invented when Destiny was launched?

I'm sure Rush didn't know. Else his reaction on the observation deck with Eli and Chloe wouldn't make any sense at all. I also doubt someone like Rush would be content on such a planet.

Also, I liked how master sergeant Psycho decked that guy who was objecting to the lottery

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:36 am UTC

Spoiler:
Rush might not have known he would have survived but he probably believed that Destiny always did something for a reason and thus figured that going into the Sun might have a purpose. And he would definitely rather be on Destiny and take that chance as opposed to being stuck on the planet and probably dying. Because frankly, he would have no value, no one would protect him, and someone would probably try to off him.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

Spoiler:
If Rush knew the outcome, he wouldn't have tossed away all those supplies would he. It might have made sense to get rid of 17 mouths to feed, but not when you're giving those 17 mouths all the food too.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Spoiler:
And so we are back to "Rush didn't know". I think we should give Rush the benefit of the doubt and see what happens in later episodes.
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”