0654: "Nachos"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Enira

Re: "Nachos" Discussion

Postby Enira » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:No, it is not a toaster oven, it is a microwave.
The reason microwave ovens disrupt WiFi is that they both use the same unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum. The reason that spectrum is unlicensed is that it is absorbed by water, so does not travel far.

Technically speaking:
- Microwave ovens can only leak electro-magnetic radiation if the shielding isn't enough. When does this happens? With old microwave ovens over the age of ~8 years.
- Theoretically the leaking of this radiation would probably only disrupt 802.11b. 802.11g uses OFDM (Orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing) which is rather strong so my guess would be a microwave operating at a center frequency of 2450 MHz with a sideband of 0Hz wouldn't cause a lot of damage to 802.11g.

Did the testing one month ago for 802.11b and 802.11g and I wasn't able to produce any disruptions. But the microwave ovens I tested where 6 years or newer. Apparently a colleague of mine did eventually succeed in disrupting 802.11b by using a really really old microwave used by a granny living next door.

glasnt wrote:I didn't realise magical nuking machines interrupted wireless. I only thought it was bluetooth-remote controlled surround sound systems. We had that issue once, but it's ok, because the PCs were LAN connected, and the Macs were having the issue.
Bluetooth, metals, water and human interference cause the worst problems. Bluetooth just shatters anything in the 2.4GHz frequency. It's selfish, doesn't cares what other devices do and wants to use a pseudo-random part of the spectrum for short bursts of time (shifts frequency 1600 times a second). Hence it causes major collisions in the RF spectrum. Luckily the little fucker is limited in power and range.

The GeoCities joke is awesome by the way.
Last edited by Enira on Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

videogamesizzle wrote:"Oh, let's see the new XKCD comic today and JESUS FUCK CHRIST WHAT IS THIS"
Kinda took me by surprise, there.

Awesome comic, as well.

I thought it was something on my end, because I checked xkcd today on a school computer and all the computers were acting weird today. (They even made alarms go off in every room.)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:The "Under Construction" worker looks like he's eating whatever he's digging.

It's not dirt - it's pudding.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

littlebuddy

Postby littlebuddy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:48 am UTC

catfight!

phonon266737

Postby phonon266737 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:14 am UTC

Nacho produced via black-body radiation and convection are far suprior to those heated only via microwves, anyway. Why is he doing this!?

Kalos

Postby Kalos » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:23 am UTC

Contrived dialogue AND randall's megan fetished prefect women? delightful.

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:47 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Ponytail girl is a total noob, can't even score a headshot against Megan without resorting to d/c'ing her? She probably camps, too ("It's a legitimate strategy!").

Well it's no wonder, she's got her mouse and keyboard at different levels. I don't see how anybody could play well like that, it looks very uncomfortable.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

Now that the blinking geocities html is gone, can anyone explain what the new text at the bottom of the page is about? In tiny font is the following:

We did not invent the algorithm. The algorithm consistently finds Jesus. The algorithm killed Jeeves.
The algorithm is banned in China. The algorithm is from Jersey. The algorithm constantly finds Jesus.
This is not the algorithm. This is close.

WTF? I did a search of the fora and didn't find the phrase.

Edit: Never mind. I should have searched the interwebs.
Huh? What?

Benson

Postby Benson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

phillipsjk wrote:The reason microwave ovens disrupt WiFi is that they both use the same unlicensed 2.4GHz spectrum. The reason that spectrum is unlicensed is that it is absorbed by water, so does not travel far.

Not really, although that misconception is very common. The licensed bands above and below the 2.4GHz ISM bands share almost identical propagation characteristics, as there are no resonances in the neighborhood. In fact, H2O absorption is quite low for 2.4GHz, and is dwarfed by O2. H2O only becomes significant around 10GHz, and increases to the first peak at 22GHz. There's a nifty graph at http://www.rfcafe.com/references/electrical/atm-absorption.htm.

The reasons why any ISM band is exactly where it is are most likely historical (i.e. which neighbouring bands were previously allocated) and/or related to desirable properties of licensed bands allocated at the same time (e.g. 3:1 resonance with existing bands for efficient dual-band antennas), and while I don't know for certain the circumstances surrounding the 2.4GHz ISM band, it's absolutely certain that it wasn't because it's a magically useful (for cooking) or useless (for long range comms) frequency.

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Any board game you play against someone who's having a phone conversation featuring the sentence: "Of course I love you honey." is guaranteed to result in victory. That might be a hard one to pull off intentionally, but making the doorbell ring for an online opponent at the right moment sounds feasable.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 am UTC

That stuff about "the algorithm" has, by the way, always been part of the site as far as I remember.

I looked at this again, and realized the words "BOOM! HEADSHOT" are coming from the computer... is she playing some weird game that's programmed to play that sound clip whenever someone gets a headshot? Or is she just on a modded server? Or, perhaps, does she have one of those sound systems installed and is activating that clip herself? Is the canoe wood, or aluminum?!? These questions demand answers.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Eikinkloster

Postby Eikinkloster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:19 am UTC

Whyareall wrote:Little-known fact: Wi-Fi stands for Wireless Fireless.
I feel absolutely terrible for whoever at Yahoo was given the job of pressing the DELETE button for millions of webpages.

I didn't get these two: Wireless Fireless: is this a pun or an actual alternate meaning for Wireless Fidelity?
And where did the reference to Geocities come from? I see no reference to it on the comic whatsoever...
Chaos Reigns!

divisionbyzero

Postby divisionbyzero » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 am UTC

Whyareall wrote:I feel absolutely terrible for whoever at Yahoo was given the job of pressing the DELETE button for millions of webpages.

Yeh, and imagine how many checks they did to make sure they had the right servers - oh look, Yahoo's down, hmm... arrrggghhhhhh!

Or maybe the old classic, they ask a colleague to check what they're doing, and as soon as they hit delete, the git colleague shouts "No wait!" and they almost have a heart attack. I've been that git many times.

As for the wifi, been there, done that. Not coz of a microwave, just lags so much you get pwned. Lan is the only way.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:41 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Is the canoe wood, or aluminum?!?

VeggieTales reference makes me happy :)

BioTube

Postby BioTube » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Eikinkloster wrote:And where did the reference to Geocities come from? I see no reference to it on the comic whatsoever...
Randal redid the site for a day.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:12 am UTC

Eikinkloster wrote:I didn't get these two: Wireless Fireless: is this a pun or an actual alternate meaning for Wireless Fidelity?

As linked earlier in this very thread.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Stripy-Artist

Postby Stripy-Artist » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:29 am UTC

It's only a matter of time before they invent a Linux command that makes you turn a microwave at an online opponent's house. :lol:

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”