V [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

V [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:17 pm UTC

So, V. Looks interesting, I watched the 8 minute preview on Hulu and set my computer to record it when it's on later. I'll save my thoughts till then, considering I'd like to see the whole thing, but it's got my interest.

Also, the picture on hulu's front page is hella creepy.
Spoiler:
creeepy.png
The eyes! Meep
creeepy.png (258.75 KiB) Viewed 4509 times
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: V

Postby Spacemilk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Is it set to start tonight? If so I also need to set my TV to record... yes I think it looks interesting. Some of the acting, even in the little 30-second ad spots I've seen so far, seems canned, or cheesy, or just plain awful. But the bits I've seen of the plot have me hooked so... I guess I'll give it a try.
milk from space is good for you!

Spacemilk

Postby ArgonV » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

This is a remake of the other series called V? I saw that when I was 8 once
ArgonV

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:20 pm UTC

I am so interested in this that it is not even funny thanks to that guy from The 4400 and the people from Firefly being in this.

Also, yes, it is supposed to be a remake from what I've heard.
Brother Maynard

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 am UTC

I dunno. Seems ok so far, but... we'll see how it goes. Also, hey, look, backhanded jabs at religion woo. :mrgreen:
Spoiler:
Brother Maynard wrote:people from Firefly being in this.
Or not... anymore... goddammit Wash!
Xeio

Postby luvnotwar » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:56 am UTC

Spoiler:
They're lizards.
luvnotwar

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:28 am UTC

luvnotwar wrote:
Spoiler:
They're lizards.
No shit.

I thought the pacing was bad. There were too many major events happening in one episode. There were so many things going on that I don't even remember the characters' names, except for Jack and Erica.

Maybe it will improve, but I'm really on the fence about this.

At least it looked cool, though.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!
Megatriorchis

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:24 am UTC

I hope they find another reason for them to come to earth than stealing water since a species capable of interstellar travel can mine it from comets or saturns rings and not have to haul it out of earth's gravity well.
Sockmonkey

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:11 am UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I hope they find another reason for them to come to earth than stealing water since a species capable of interstellar travel can mine it from comets or saturns rings and not have to haul it out of earth's gravity well.

One of my favorite parts from Banner of the Stars was when the Abh needed to mine water and a character talks about pillaging it from an enemy planet. Later, when he finds out just how inefficient that would be (due to hauling it out of a gravity well), he gets upset that he can't be a pirate.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who
MiB24601

Postby Reamsie » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

I really wanted to see this last night after watching the bit on hulu, but unfortunately I missed it. Anyone know if it's coming on again, or online?
Reamsie

Postby Spacemilk » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

To be honest, I wasn't entirely impressed. It kept me entertained for the entire hour, but there wasn't any moment where I was like "Ahhh come back from commercials NOWWW". But this is the first episode so I'll cut some slack.

Also I felt the "surprise reveal" was not a surprise at all. It was immediately obvious to me when
Spoiler:
the reporter-guy (whose name I can't remember, sorry) told Anna that it seemed odd that all the Vs were so attractive to them. And I'm sitting there thinking, "Okay, guy, obvious followup question is: Can you guys change your shape in some way? What's your natural shape?" Maybe this is something I thought of because I've watched so much sci-fi; I don't think that people who normally watch primetime NBC/ABC/whatever it was on typically have a LOT of experience with sci-fi shows.

Soo I was entertained. I'll probably DVR the next few episodes and maybe watch them. I don't feel any particular eagerness to watch them, but if I have time, sure, why not.

Also I get the feeling they're trying to pick up the now-homeless BSG fans. I go a few whiffs of the "human-Cylon interaction while on New Caprica" vibe during the V premier, except BSG did it much better than V did.
milk from space is good for you!

Spacemilk

Postby Mokele » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I thought the pacing was bad. There were too many major events happening in one episode. There were so many things going on that I don't even remember the characters' names, except for Jack and Erica.

Ditto - it felt like they had planned on a two-hour intro, but then network said "No" and they had to cut it back to one hour. It felt rather rushed, and they didn't really develop the tension well.

I'm tentatively optimistic, but I'll reserve judgement until future episodes.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti
Mokele

Postby folkhero » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:I hope they find another reason for them to come to earth than stealing water since a species capable of interstellar travel can mine it from comets or saturns rings and not have to haul it out of earth's gravity well.

Spoiler:
I'm predicting that they want to take the actual planet to use as a colony world or something. That's why they are doing the sneaky infiltration thing instead of a smash and grab where they blow stuff up and take what they need. They want to leave the planet nice for when they take it.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby ArgonV » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:
I thought the pacing was bad. There were too many major events happening in one episode. There were so many things going on that I don't even remember the characters' names, except for Jack and Erica.

How could you forget Lisa? :shock:

No, but seriously, I honestly didn't think it was that bad. I'll be watching again next week.

Maybe they need purified/sea water or something similar? That isn't readily available in the solar system? And they also mentioned several elements they needed from Earth (vague, I know)
ArgonV

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

It's .. kinda unreasonable, as I don't think salt is really all that rare in the universe (Mix sodium with chlorine. Done) and the water of comets and so forth I would imagine to be pretty pure... and if it's not, filtration systems can't possibly be that complicated for an interstellar species.

Now, other elements... that could be anything, really.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Well in the original the needing other elements was a smokescreen. I could see them needing food but is it really better to build a fleet of interstellar ships than to try and use those resources to up your food production?
Sockmonkey

Postby Muz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Sockmonkey wrote:Well in the original the needing other elements was a smokescreen. I could see them needing food but is it really better to build a fleet of interstellar ships than to try and use those resources to up your food production?

Are you kidding? Imagine how much they'll be able to charge on the homeworld for exotic, imported human-o-beast flesh? Human-o-beast burgers! Human-o-beast cutlets! Human-o-beast kibble for rich V debutantes' spoiled pet murblits? It's like Chinese silk in Europe in the middle ages. This whole thing's a business venture! :lol:
Author of the Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, the epic comedic fantasy where reality TV heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!

Website: Michaelgmunz.com Twitter: @TheWriteMunz Facebook: MichaelGMunz
Muz

Postby Sockmonkey » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

So when they eat chinese people are they hungry an hour later?
Do the clowns taste funny?
Are americans junk food?
Sockmonkey

Postby Muz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 pm UTC

Are vegetarians higher in Omega-3s? Oh, it's time to check on the free-ranged humans!

By the way, does Alan Tudyk only
Spoiler:
take parts nowadays that allow him to have some "sudden but inevitable betrayal" so Firefly fans get to legitimately shout, "CURSE YOUR SUDDEN BUT INEVITABLE BETRAYAL!" at the TV? If so, kudos to you, Mr. Tudyk. Kudos.

Heck, he's even gotten one step closer to being a dinosaur. :mrgreen:
Author of the Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, the epic comedic fantasy where reality TV heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!

Website: Michaelgmunz.com Twitter: @TheWriteMunz Facebook: MichaelGMunz
Muz

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:00 am UTC

Spoiler:
Soylent Green is people!

I couldn't resist.
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby Ivora » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:19 am UTC

I really enjoyed it!

Although....

Spoiler:
I LOVE the fact that the actress from Lost is in this. YAY! But the actor who plays her son's facial expressions when he meants the vistor named 'Lisa' made me burst into laughter! My goodness, they were just awful! :lol:
Ivora

Postby folkhero » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:24 am UTC

Ivora wrote:I really enjoyed it!

Although....

Spoiler:
I LOVE the fact that the actress from Lost is in this. YAY! But the actor who plays her son's facial expressions when he meants the vistor named 'Lisa' made me burst into laughter! My goodness, they were just awful! :lol:

I kinda have a bad feeling that the son is going to have a major part in the plot. That actor isn't very good, and I'm starting to have crotchedy old man feelings that teenagers are good-for-nothing kids who think they know everything and they need to get out of the way when grownups are doing grownup things, like deal with aliens.
folkhero

Postby RocketNinja » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

I had high hopes but I did not like the pilot too much.

Spoiler:
I'm assuming they paced the pilot so fast and included most of the major reveals because we all know that they are lizards and want to eat the humans. Even with that I still think they paced it too fast. They did it because the network tv watching audience needs an obvious these are the bad guys and these are the good guys scenario. I preferred the slower build up of the original miniseries.

I got really annoyed at the overdone, overused, terrible cliche of the teenage boy/girl who rebels and hates his (single) mom because she was gone working. It's so annoying.

I had brief annoyance at the part where the black guy (I don't remember his name) showed the white guy who he was friends with that he was a Visitor. In the beginning of the episode the writers show us that they used to work together. When the white guy found out that his friend was a V he had no reaction at all. It was like a "oh ok cool" reaction.

I also don't think that an alien species that looks like a lizard will be physically attracted to a human. It would be like me having the hots for the frog in my backyard. I don't think so.

Given all that, I will watch the remaining 3 episodes and I hope that it continues in the Spring.
RocketNinja

Postby Kizyr » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:06 pm UTC

Now normally if aliens tried to invade, I'd be the first in line to sign up for the rebels resisting their oppression. As soon as I saw the trailer, I'm like "Yep, if aliens looked like that, I'd defect. We're screwed."

I for one welcome our incredibly hot overlords. KF
~Kaiser
Kizyr

Postby Brooklynxman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

"We must defeat our attractive overlords.......by sleeping with them."

<.<
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:
Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby ArgonV » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Brooklynxman wrote:"We must defeat our attractive overlords.......by sleeping with them."

<.<

And giving them particularly deadly STDs? :lol:
ArgonV

Postby Sprocket » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

I watched the first episode. Does it get less tropey and obvious?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:28 am UTC

I liked the first episode. Yes, it was kind of fast-moving, but not confusingly so. I'd have gotten bored if they'd stretched it out to two hours, given that nothing particularly surprising happened. It often backfires when a show tries to start with a bunch of plot-of-the-week episodes and only reveals the larger arc a few episodes in.
Spoiler:
I don't think the aliens turning out to be not-so-benevolent was supposed to be a twist. Though perhaps they could have left the aliens' motives a bit ambiguous, rather than making it already so obvious that they're up to no good.

And yeah, there were a bunch of cliches. For instance, I was hoping the kid and his mother would have more of a John and Sarah Connor dynamic rather than the typical whiny kid and single mom drama.
Nath

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Seeing Joel Gretsch makes me really miss The 4400. :(
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby Xeio » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:29 am UTC

Sprocket wrote:I watched the first episode. Does it get less tropey and obvious?
Um, there is only one episode so far. :mrgreen:
Xeio

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

RocketNinja wrote:I also don't think that an alien species that looks like a lizard will be physically attracted to a human. It would be like me having the hots for the frog in my backyard. I don't think so.

Rule 34.
Bestiality.
Need I continue?
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

Nath wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't think the aliens turning out to be not-so-benevolent was supposed to be a twist. Though perhaps they could have left the aliens' motives a bit ambiguous, rather than making it already so obvious that they're up to no good.
The problem, of course, is that it's a remake. It's like watching the latest version of King Kong and not knowing that the ape's going to end up a splatter on the pavement. The only way they could really twist it is to set it up, quickly, to mirror the previous version then subvert it by showing that whatever nogoodniks they were up to were actually for the Greater Good.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby campbell90 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

I thought that it was good. Yeah, it may not be the most shocking of stories(when are the aliens good?) and it may not be the most original Sci-fi story, but it was fun and cool. Thats what I thought at least.
campbell90

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

The funny thing I felt about this show was that it's basically exactly the same thing we've seen before. Oh shucks, the Aliens are secretly trying to fuck us all. Whatta shock.

I'd love to see a series that depicts how the world changes with the arrival of aliens that bring medical and technological advances; how logistically do you bring treatments to billions of people? What happens with the world, realistically, when someone steps in and says "We can give you everything and anything, but you have to stop this stupid shit", and particularly, how we go about getting that done.

Frankly, V seems like it's just going to be a seasons worth of dancing around the aliens woo'ing some and terrifying others, throw a few plot twists of sleeper aliens betraying the aliens/humans, and the so angsty notion of winning over the youth and making man fight man.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Skythe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The funny thing I felt about this show was that it's basically exactly the same thing we've seen before. Oh shucks, the Aliens are secretly trying to fuck us all. Whatta shock.

I'd love to see a series that depicts how the world changes with the arrival of aliens that bring medical and technological advances; how logistically do you bring treatments to billions of people? What happens with the world, realistically, when someone steps in and says "We can give you everything and anything, but you have to stop this stupid shit", and particularly, how we go about getting that done.

Frankly, V seems like it's just going to be a seasons worth of dancing around the aliens woo'ing some and terrifying others, throw a few plot twists of sleeper aliens betraying the aliens/humans, and the so angsty notion of winning over the youth and making man fight man.

Well, it is a remake of the 80's show. Sure, lots of episode will be running away and building a resistance to the aliens, but come on, it's interesting to watch. D:
Skythe

Re: V [one-character-titles are dumb ~4d.]

Postby Ivora » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:48 am UTC

Gosh, Im totally loving this show! Can't wait till the next ep. :P
Ivora

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 pm UTC

"I... remember!" "Good, now die" :mrgreen:

Did they seriously just bring Wash back to kill him again? :shock:
Xeio

Postby folkhero » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:"I... remember!" "Good, now die" :mrgreen:

Did they seriously just bring Wash back to kill him again? :shock:

They are going to keep bringing him back and keep almost killing him, like Prometheus.

I guess tonight's episode is the last one of the year. I was pretty lukewarm on the show so a long break might be what does it for me to give up on it.
folkhero

Postby Giant Speck » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:35 am UTC

"Any chance you're gonna cure the common cold for us?"
"Your flu shots will have to suffice. I'm afraid even we haven't cracked the common cold."

FLU SHOTS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY
"Did I say recently that I love Giant Speck? Because I love Giant Speck. He is the best." - Weeks
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Because of its stupid one letter name, I can't track down an Australian air date :(
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.
LuNatic

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows