Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Jessica » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:19 pm UTC

Actually, I liked the way fallout 3 did the main quest. Instead of making it "go find the water chip/GECK or we'll die" it's "Find your dad because he ran off". which, well, gives you the nice ability to sandbox more, and not have to worry about the days passing and not having the water chip/GECK in time. which, I really hated about the first game, and... well it wasn't that bad in the second one, as I felt the time limit wasn't really limiting. I felt in the first one, as long as you followed the path pretty linearly (as in go to one town, finish all quests, go to next town on the main quest etc), you didn't have a problem, but if you explored, problems were had.

But, it's also a tabletop game, so it's less "and, you're out of time, try again later sucker!".
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:In late Heroic/early Paragon, you can teleport to a teleportation circle in 4e using rituals. So they won't have to stay near the Sanctuary forever to keep in touch.
Yep; if you start out in early Heroic, though, something to tide them over until they get the ritual (I ought to look up how ritual scrolls work, but I think that would do it) is a good plan.

Yakk wrote:So I was going to generate a quick sketch -- maybe even hex paper based (!) -- with areas, and in each area 2-4 sketched out encounters. Each area would also have a rough level. Maybe a system to describe how dangerous an area is relative to the PCs if they do their research. Some areas would have unexpectedly tough/easy encounters.
Hm. I wonder what the best scale for a plot hook is- because it's easy to do it on the scale of encounters (there's a dragon in the mountain, a mummy in the cave, a sensei at the dojo who trains those who can beat him, raiders that attack you, etc.), but seems more traditional to do on the scale of dungeons (there's a troglodyte colony in the ruins, a warlord in a castle defended by his minions, a tomb with a necromancer and his undead army, etc.). That's something that you might want to ask your players about; being able to pick three different things to do each night versus picking one thing which lasts longer. On the one hand it might be unsatisfying to have essentially every fight be a boss fight, but on the other the party might prefer going through plot hooks to going through filler battles.

It seems easy enough to have a mix, though- the hex contains an island, where the party can land at a friendly port. In the port, they learn about the colony of dark dwarves on the bottom side that worships a dragon, whose emissary exacts a docking fee; they also learn about the pre-War ruins stalked by a vampire, the recent murder of an apothecary, and the grove of magic trees in the woods guarded by a crazed axeman. You could even color-code things so that it's obvious that trying to displace the dragon and his dwarven minions is a dungeon equivalent with large rewards (add the port to your empire!), that the vampire is higher level than the party, the axeman is equal level, and solving the murder is lower level.

Looking at the hex idea- you know what could be really cool? Having the islands not have fixed locations relative to each other. You could have this particular region be a hex grid with radius four or five where the hexes all rotate one space each period of time (day?), so that each ring maintains the distance in between hexes in the ring, but ring elements on different rings have a periodically varying distance from each other. The interior has well-developed trading relationships and probably a connected power structure, as the interior hex and surrounding hexes have the same relationships and are always adjacent, while as you go out towards the borders the relationships become spottier and spottier- two trading partners might only be able to exchange goods once every 72 days, if one is on the third ring and another is on the fourth, unless they go through the center or some strange, changing path.

It would also make traveling more interesting. As you go towards the center, you rotate faster, and as you go towards the rim, you rotate slower- so in some cases, to go backwards along a ring it might be better to go out than straight!

Yakk wrote:I'll probably use my plot-based pacing idea; players regain daily powers and healing surges by gaining milestones, and you get milestones by moving towards a goal they set for themselves. Which means I'll request the party set goals, which makes my job easier! PCs who abandon goals part way through both make my job harder, and lose out on resource recovery...
Warning: Goals are a great mechanic that can go horribly wrong. The party's goals need to be somewhat connected, and the goals need to be things that generate activity- a goal of "get wealthier" plays very, very differently from a goal of "protect the weak" which plays very, very differently from a goal of "avenge my parents' death at the hands of the Thunder Hawk Clan." Daily powers not being time-based but being plot-based is a great idea (and helps make multiple single-encounter plot hooks work better, so the party can't unleash all their dailies every time), but you need to be very careful with the mechanics.

Yakk wrote:I'll also shamelessly steal plots from Fallout games, just because. Speaking of which, I might have to play Fallout 3 for "research".
Honestly, there's not much in the way of new plots there. The game's still enjoyable, but after a while you start noticing how many side quests are really similar to movies or books, and Bethesda main quests are rarely that great.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby thicknavyrain » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

By the way, does anyone here have a guide to making one's own characters for the campaign (4th edition)? As I said, I'm only just starting out, the adventure my friend bought has preset characters to use which saves a lot of effort and time presumably but if I can find an easy way of making my own character, that'd be REALLY cool. More importantly, is it even worth it at all right now? How hard is it to make one's own character? I'll come out right away and admit to complete noobdom but hey, it's never stopped people helping me out before...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

User avatar
hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:30 pm UTC
Location: Spaceship
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby hendusoone » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Well, there's the character builder... but beyond level 3, it requires a subscription.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 pm UTC

Do you have a copy of the PHB? It gives rules...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:By the way, does anyone here have a guide to making one's own characters for the campaign (4th edition)? As I said, I'm only just starting out, the adventure my friend bought has preset characters to use which saves a lot of effort and time presumably but if I can find an easy way of making my own character, that'd be REALLY cool. More importantly, is it even worth it at all right now? How hard is it to make one's own character? I'll come out right away and admit to complete noobdom but hey, it's never stopped people helping me out before...
The Player's Handbook has detailed advice on how to make characters. My advice is pretty much to follow what it says on page 14; pick the things that sound the coolest, and only look at the things available to you. It's very easy to run into choice paralysis (if you get other books as well, there are tens of races and tens of classes, there are already hundreds of powers to look at...) unless you decide to just pick what sounds cool now and swap it out later if it doesn't work (which you can do with powers and feats). There's pretty much no way to make a bad character (you're either good or better, unlike a whip-wielding bard or a wizard with poor spell choice in 3rd edition, in which the party's best move was literally killing them so they didn't steal experience), so don't worry too much about optimization. Have fun!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Bulvox » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:By the way, does anyone here have a guide to making one's own characters for the campaign (4th edition)? As I said, I'm only just starting out, the adventure my friend bought has preset characters to use which saves a lot of effort and time presumably but if I can find an easy way of making my own character, that'd be REALLY cool. More importantly, is it even worth it at all right now? How hard is it to make one's own character? I'll come out right away and admit to complete noobdom but hey, it's never stopped people helping me out before...
The Player's Handbook has detailed advice on how to make characters. My advice is pretty much to follow what it says on page 14; pick the things that sound the coolest, and only look at the things available to you. It's very easy to run into choice paralysis (if you get other books as well, there are tens of races and tens of classes, there are already hundreds of powers to look at...) unless you decide to just pick what sounds cool now and swap it out later if it doesn't work (which you can do with powers and feats). There's pretty much no way to make a bad character (you're either good or better, unlike a whip-wielding bard or a wizard with poor spell choice in 3rd edition, in which the party's best move was literally killing them so they didn't steal experience), so don't worry too much about optimization. Have fun!
Hey, I'll have you know that a Whip-weilding Bard is do-able. You just need two whips. One needs to have a bottle of oil tied to it, and the other needs to be a flint and steel whip.
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

Bulvox wrote:Hey, I'll have you know that a Whip-weilding Bard is do-able. You just need two whips. One needs to have a bottle of oil tied to it, and the other needs to be a flint and steel whip.
Except... that does 1d6 extra points of damage. And being on fire does 1d6 points of damage a round. If you're not fighting commoners, it's useless.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Bulvox » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Bulvox wrote:Hey, I'll have you know that a Whip-weilding Bard is do-able. You just need two whips. One needs to have a bottle of oil tied to it, and the other needs to be a flint and steel whip.
Except... that does 1d6 extra points of damage. And being on fire does 1d6 points of damage a round. If you're not fighting commoners, it's useless.
It still works. You just need the right campaign.
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

There's pretty much no way to make a bad character (you're either good or better, unlike a whip-wielding bard or a wizard with poor spell choice in 3rd edition, in which the party's best move was literally killing them so they didn't steal experience), so don't worry too much about optimization. Have fun!

An 8 int wizard still sucks in 4e. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:An 8 int wizard still sucks in 4e. :)
Well, yes, but at least they can still cast spells.

There are clearly better and worse ways to make characters- but those ways are actually clear. There are very few options that are seriously presented to you that are horrible (the Warlock is the only class that I'm familiar with that's significantly weaker than another class, and it's arguable whether or not it's less useful), unlike 3rd edition, where some of the classes required tricks to not be useless, and the difference between someone playing a wizard well (say, Sleep at 1st level) and someone playing a wizard poorly (say, Hold Portal at 1st level) was astounding.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Chen
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Chen » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:12 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:There are clearly better and worse ways to make characters- but those ways are actually clear. There are very few options that are seriously presented to you that are horrible (the Warlock is the only class that I'm familiar with that's significantly weaker than another class, and it's arguable whether or not it's less useful), unlike 3rd edition, where some of the classes required tricks to not be useless, and the difference between someone playing a wizard well (say, Sleep at 1st level) and someone playing a wizard poorly (say, Hold Portal at 1st level) was astounding.


I've said it before but the real issue with 4th ed power balance tends to be the other way. Yes choosing the worst ability every level will still allow you to beat level appropriate encounters. The problem lies in taking the BEST abilities every level and just plowing through encounters that are supposed to be "very hard". Our gaming group will always strive for optimized characters just because it leads to less inter-person conflict/annoyance. Sitting in a fight and being half as effective as someone else can lead to frustration fairly quickly. Just using the PHB its fairly simple to see which abilities each level are good and which are mediocre. A good hint is that pure damage powers are not nearly as valuable as powers that do maybe a little less damage BUT also inflict status effects. Clearly if an abilities deals a TON of damage compared to others it may be better but most times its not the case (e.g, I don't recall the details, but there's a fire burst wizard spell at one level and an earth explosion type spell at the same level. The fire one deals on average something like 2 more damage but no other effect, whereas the earth one inflicts an immobilize effect AND has a lingering AOE that slows people the next turn). Considering the amount of HP monsters have trading off even up to 10 average damage on a daily ability is probably worth it for the ability to inflict an effect on the monster instead.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I've said it before but the real issue with 4th ed power balance tends to be the other way. Yes choosing the worst ability every level will still allow you to beat level appropriate encounters. The problem lies in taking the BEST abilities every level and just plowing through encounters that are supposed to be "very hard". Our gaming group will always strive for optimized characters just because it leads to less inter-person conflict/annoyance. Sitting in a fight and being half as effective as someone else can lead to frustration fairly quickly. Just using the PHB its fairly simple to see which abilities each level are good and which are mediocre. A good hint is that pure damage powers are not nearly as valuable as powers that do maybe a little less damage BUT also inflict status effects. Clearly if an abilities deals a TON of damage compared to others it may be better but most times its not the case (e.g, I don't recall the details, but there's a fire burst wizard spell at one level and an earth explosion type spell at the same level. The fire one deals on average something like 2 more damage but no other effect, whereas the earth one inflicts an immobilize effect AND has a lingering AOE that slows people the next turn). Considering the amount of HP monsters have trading off even up to 10 average damage on a daily ability is probably worth it for the ability to inflict an effect on the monster instead.
Oh, 4th is definitely cinematic in the sense that the party will probably never die (assuming they've got at least one leader) if the DM is doing his job normally. As the number of splatbooks grows, we're starting to see some power creep, as more and more synergies become available.

Of course, people taking on things four or five levels higher than the expected challenge is nothing new- we were consistently doing stuff like that in 3.5. I'm just glad that it's always possible to take on a reasonable encounter.

It does have a few horrifying quirks, though- the DMG recommends limiting controlling monsters to one or two per encounter because of the complexity, but they can shut down the players with horrifying effectiveness if you use a party of them. Our low paragon tier party was destroyed by a Night Hag and three? (maybe four) Gibbering Mouthers in what should have been an easy fight by the numbers- but with the Mouthers' close burst daze effect (you needed to make three Will saves against +12 each turn in order to have more than one move) and the Night Hag's Wave of Sleep (a close blast effect which, if the target fails their first save, knocks them unconscious without a clearly defined way to recover), we were barely able to fight; my character, a doppleganger wizard, only survived because he stood up (move action), action pointed, and then threw himself off a cliff (with the action from the action point). At the bottom, he then shapeshifted into a rock and waited until he could escape while the rest of the party got devoured.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Yakk wrote:An 8 int wizard still sucks in 4e. :)
Well, yes, but at least they can still cast spells.

There are clearly better and worse ways to make characters- but those ways are actually clear. There are very few options that are seriously presented to you that are horrible (the Warlock is the only class that I'm familiar with that's significantly weaker than another class, and it's arguable whether or not it's less useful), unlike 3rd edition, where some of the classes required tricks to not be useless, and the difference between someone playing a wizard well (say, Sleep at 1st level) and someone playing a wizard poorly (say, Hold Portal at 1st level) was astounding.

That difference may not be quite as ming boggling but it's still there in full force. I played a 4th ed game with a guy who was determined to play a fairly low Int wizard, and then proceded to spend most of the game sighing about missed and low damage on all his spells. The bottom line is that the game expects you to have something like a 16 in your primary attack stat, and if you don't, you're effectively handicapping yourself.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:03 am UTC

If you were going to play a low-int wizard...hrm. You'd go control, build dex, and take wand--just so once an encounter you could make a better chance at hitting with your spells. That way the damage gimp isn't as noticeable and...well, it'd still suck.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Chen
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:10 pm UTC

We're starting a new 4th Ed D&D game and Im looking for some suggestions. I'm thinking about playing a leader though I'm not sure which to play. When we first played 4th ed the only leaders were the base ones and clerics seemed to outshine warlords (or whatever they're called). The amount of healing output a cleric has is pretty ridiculous and makes it very easy to outlast most fights. Anyone have any suggestions on other good leader classes? We generally play a very optimized game so monsters tend to get "fiddled" with (ie more hp) so that fights are at least somewhat challenging.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

Healing makes fights last longer. Damage output makes fights over quicker.

Warlords boost damage output (with the right party members) more than Clerics do.

Leaders currently are:
Shaman
Warlord
Cleric
Bard
Artificer

Am I missing any?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
telcontar42
Posts: 430
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:33 pm UTC
Location: Davis, CA
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby telcontar42 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

razor wrote:Well, since I haven't played any table-top RPGs I'm not entirely sure what I want. I want something with an in-depth character creation system for sure. I definitely want something that involves a fair amount of combat. My favorite time periods are medieval and the distant future. As I've said before, nothing too magic heavy. That's about it, due to my lack of experience in this are that's about as detailed as I can get.

You might like Pendragon. It's a roleplaying game based on arthurian legend. There is magic, but i wouldn't call it magic heavy.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

I thought there were very few copies of that for sale?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Maseiken » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:47 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I thought there were very few copies of that for sale?

DricethruRPG has PDFs.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Chen
Posts: 5579
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:41 am UTC

Yakk wrote:Healing makes fights last longer. Damage output makes fights over quicker.

Warlords boost damage output (with the right party members) more than Clerics do.


I think the issue last time, now that I think about it, was that we had a fairly large party. As such the synergy a warlord provided didn't seem as high (since it didn't always effect every character) whereas healing was pretty much always needed. I think the party will be smaller this time so a more damage/tactical leader should work better.

Leaders currently are:
Shaman
Warlord
Cleric
Bard
Artificer

Am I missing any?


I think thats all of them. I've been leaning towards a cunning bard, since the healing still seems decent and the tactical abilities seem like a good boost. Artificer is also fairly cool, though there doesn't seem to be any supplemental material for it that I've seen yet (its not in Arcane Power at least), which makes me a tad more wary of choosing it.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Yakk wrote:Healing makes fights last longer. Damage output makes fights over quicker.

Warlords boost damage output (with the right party members) more than Clerics do.


I think the issue last time, now that I think about it, was that we had a fairly large party. As such the synergy a warlord provided didn't seem as high (since it didn't always effect every character) whereas healing was pretty much always needed. I think the party will be smaller this time so a more damage/tactical leader should work better.

Warlord passive abilities can be gross, if the Warlord aims for it. Things like granting everyone a bonus to hit a monster scales well with large numbers of players.

Similarly, group initiative bonuses, bonuses to hit when you use an action point, etc; all scale well with party size.

Granting a single attack to an ally scales about as well as healing an ally; however, with larger groups of monsters, and a lack of ability/quantity of PC defenders and controllers, keeping monster damage spread out becomes hard, and the cleric increased healing can make up for the damage spikes of monster swarming better than the Warlord probably.
I think thats all of them. I've been leaning towards a cunning bard, since the healing still seems decent and the tactical abilities seem like a good boost. Artificer is also fairly cool, though there doesn't seem to be any supplemental material for it that I've seen yet (its not in Arcane Power at least), which makes me a tad more wary of choosing it.

It came out after Arcane Power I, or close enough, I think.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Vaniver » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:31 am UTC

Has anyone tried an extra damage reduced HP mod?

Earlier this week I was in a game where the monsters had (I believe) double damage and half hp- they drop twice as fast, but pack a far more noticeable wallop (my cleric with ~60 hp was getting hit for ~20 each power). I think I like it better; the fights go more quickly, which is nice, and the mortality doesn't seem that much higher. That may just be because of the geometry of the fights- it was difficult for the monsters to focus on one PC, and the PCs could take monsters down far more quickly than normal (it also helped that we had more ranged attacks, making it easier to concentrate fire). If the monsters can focus on one PC, though, I can see things going poorly for the players- it'll be far harder for the Leader to keep the Defender alive if the Defender is taking close to his HP in damage a turn, or at the very least getting bloodied.

I don't remember any fights that the party has just skated past (though a few were sort of close)- but I do remember several people getting super-bloodied (what we call getting down a quarter HP), which probably would have been them dead if we were doing the double damage mod. If the party has one Leader, they're generally able to deal with the one or two people that get bloodied a turn; if someone can reasonably go from 3/4ths HP to dying, though, that might be a giant problem for keeping people standing up (particularly if that person is the Leader!).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:31 am UTC

See, in the game I'm playing a swordmage in, I'm doing the thunderball route. So fights don't last that long, because everything is bloodied by round 4 (or at worst 5) even if nobody else damages it. (reasonably large area, targets enemies, area damage a touch under at-will damage).

Toss in some tricks that tear apart single targets (strikers are good at that, or do a damned-if-you do, damned-if-you don't white lotus riposte plus mark-burn...)

I don't know if it will work up to epic...
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Due to some horrible luck (in which a friend of mine rolled 5 1s in a ROW, I mean that's 1/3 200 000 for fucks sake...) we are all now dead. Luckily our DM is considering having a story deviation which involves us fighting our way out of the afterlife. Should be fun.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Due to some horrible luck (in which a friend of mine rolled 5 1s in a ROW, I mean that's 1/3 200 000 for fucks sake...) we are all now dead. Luckily our DM is considering having a story deviation which involves us fighting our way out of the afterlife. Should be fun.

I don't know what system you're running but for 3.5 material Hordes of the Abyss and Tyrants of the Nine Hells are awesome books for that kind of session (or campaign) of course... assuming you were the good guys you shouldn't have been ending up there in the first place... and it tends to be a little strange fighting your way out of Celestia...
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:[I don't know what system you're running but for 3.5 material Hordes of the Abyss and Tyrants of the Nine Hells are awesome books for that kind of session (or campaign) of course... assuming you were the good guys you shouldn't have been ending up there in the first place... and it tends to be a little strange fighting your way out of Celestia...


We're using 4th edition (ducks a whole load of arguments I won't understand), we are the good guys, we're doing one of the starting campaigns though. I left before the battle was fully concluded but as it happens, my character slipped on a rock and died alongside her fellow warriors. Unfortunate isn't it?
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Jessica » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

Underdark then?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Underdark then?

Underdark would make for a very Greek style afterlife, although then I suppose that does sort of limit your ability to actually USE the Underdark in its normal setting.

If I wanted to bring a party back after a complete wipe like that I'd be all for mysterious druid cult coming in and re-incarnating everyone. You get the party back up and running but with the added twist that now everyone is someone, or something else! Now the party has the contend with convincing their old contacts and whatnot of their identities. Gets your party back alive but also leaves them with a long term consequence of their death.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.
Posts: 11129
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:27 pm UTC
Location: E pur si muove

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Yakk » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

I think the canonical thing to happen to dead people is that their spirits hang around in the shadowfel for a period of time before dissipating.

Which makes an interesting race against time.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26528
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:[I don't know what system you're running but for 3.5 material Hordes of the Abyss and Tyrants of the Nine Hells are awesome books for that kind of session (or campaign) of course... assuming you were the good guys you shouldn't have been ending up there in the first place... and it tends to be a little strange fighting your way out of Celestia...
We're using 4th edition (ducks a whole load of arguments I won't understand), we are the good guys, we're doing one of the starting campaigns though. I left before the battle was fully concluded but as it happens, my character slipped on a rock and died alongside her fellow warriors. Unfortunate isn't it?
The awesome thing about Hordes of the Abyss and Tyrants of the Nine Hells.. and even more awesome about all of the 2E: Planescape stuff relating to the lower planes, and the Guide to Hell (also 2E) is that while the mechanics and crunchy numbers will not work anymore... most of the generic names and all of the fluff can work with little to no problem.

For the record.


Still, generic "Stuck in bizarre shadowy reflection of reality and having to find a way out" always works.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Sockmonkey
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Sockmonkey » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:51 pm UTC

I find that the effectiveness of a particular party makeup depends largely on the number, level, and type of monster being fought.
For instance, if you're fighting a small group of enemies that hit hard but have weak armor/low hp you will do best if everyone can deal heavy damage and make a kill every one or two rounds.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm UTC
Location: The Universe

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby thicknavyrain » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Still, generic "Stuck in bizarre shadowy reflection of reality and having to find a way out" always works.


S'what we ended up doing, turned out pretty cool,
We faced all our old enemies in an epic duel,
Finally got our way out, and I think what was best,
Is we finally finished our god-damned main quest,
Gotta ask, what race would be the best to use,
If my character is the only rogue in his crew?[1]
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

User avatar
Pryomancer
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:14 pm UTC
Location: England
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Pryomancer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Brings back memories. I haven't played D&D in years, I'd like to get back into it.

I used to play 3.5 with friends, and also a futuristic setting, too. Many hours were lost during those games.
Kizyr wrote:...I don't feel comfortable putting 50 CDs into a microwave

User avatar
Bulvox
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:37 pm UTC
Location: Not Bunny
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Bulvox » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:50 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Still, generic "Stuck in bizarre shadowy reflection of reality and having to find a way out" always works.


S'what we ended up doing, turned out pretty cool,
We faced all our old enemies in an epic duel,
Finally got our way out, and I think what was best,
Is we finally finished our god-damned main quest,
Gotta ask, what race would be the best to use,
If my character is the only rogue in his crew?[1]

Sounds cool. And as for what race would be best, that depends on what type of rogue you want to be. If you're only looking at humanoid races, then a Skulk(RoD pg105) might not be bad if you want to be a Stealthy Rogue and don't mind the +1 level adjustment. A Changeling(Eb p12)(RoE p41)(MM3 p24) is probably what you want if you're going for the more diplomatic Rogue. Look into Halflings if you're wanting to be a more skill oriented Rogue, especially look at the Deep Halfing(MM pg149) and the Tallfellow Halfing(MM pg149).
Image
See Ya Space Cowboy...

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:17 am UTC

Is anyone on Google Wave and interested in RPGs there?

There's a crowd on some waves who are very excited about the possibilities for playing by wave.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

There were some people on the Burning Wheel boards talking about trying Burning Wheel or Mouse Guard over Wave. I haven't checked the threads in a while to see if that ever went through, though.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:53 pm UTC

My current world-building project (which I might convert into a Wave) is building upon the Ghost in the Shell universe after the 2nd GiG, to construct the British cyber-terrorism response unit, which I have named MI16 (which was the name of the science and technology agency in WW2).

Anyone else think the ghost in the shell cyberpunk is a cool place to roleplay?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Maseiken
The Candylawyer
Posts: 2827
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am UTC

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Maseiken » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

And my current project is overhauling the New-World Mage system to support the Harry-Potter verse (I don't really like any other system I've seen of it), then running a campaign set in the mid-30s to mid-40s, across Europe, particularly eastern europe.

That's right, using Grindelwald's reign of terror, I'm going to run Wizards vs. Nazi Wizards.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I've had it touted that such world-building projects are a good fit for google wave, if you want other people to be able to comment or contribute.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests