I just moved to Minneapolis

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

CPesyna

I just moved to Minneapolis

Postby CPesyna » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

My girlfriend and I just arrived in Minneapolis about a month ago (by way of Chicago, by way of Pittsburgh). I'm not due to start work until September, so I've been killing time with MIT OCW. I was wondering if any fellow Minneapolis/St. Paul area people would care to meet up for coffee, drinks, or something of that nature. My schedule's fairly open and my knowledge of the city is fairly limited, so let your ideas flow!

CPesyna

Re: I just moved to Minneapolis

Postby CPesyna » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:37 am UTC

In the name of stimulating some responses, I'll suggest Common Roots (http://www.commonrootscafe.com), which is near 26th and Lyndale. I saw a lot of people there playing Go, and one guy in a FSF shirt, so it seems to be a reasonable spot for a meetup. They serve standard coffee house fare + beer and wine. Does some weekday evening (say 6:30?) sound reasonable?

ufomg

Postby ufomg » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

I'd join you if I still lived in minneapolis.. sry ^^

Itsnotinmyidiom

Postby Itsnotinmyidiom » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:47 pm UTC

I'd like to, but I can't promise it'd be possible. I live in a suburb fairly close to Minnapolis, but there's two problems.
A. I'm a minor. You know how raucous and annoying that can be >.<
B. I'm a minor. Transportation could be limited, although I have several friends who also read the comic and would likely enjoying meeting others who do the same!
If you still think it's a decent idea, I can get some feedback from the friends mentioned and see what can be put together.
I'll think of a signature eventually, I swear. It'll be funny and stuff!

eraser

Postby eraser » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:18 am UTC

old thread, but welcome! long time Minneapolis resident here. I'm on the U of M campus. can't physically meet up until after this coming week, but I'm around if you need any info about places to go, eat, etc.

cheers!

CPesyna

Postby CPesyna » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 am UTC

Old thread indeed. I stopped looking at this a while back (can you tell?).

I'm back though, and will be actively keeping tabs on this over the next few weeks. If you notice this message, speak up and we can get down to brainstorming.

gypkap

Postby gypkap » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:22 pm UTC

In case you didn't know it, there are at least two SF&F/comics stores in the Minneapolis area: Dreamhaven 2301 East 38th Street, and Uncle Hugo's, 2864 Chicago Avenue South. I've been to Dreamhaven, was impressed, and bought stuff.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”