[SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - All Things Women. Period.

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Re: [SAFESPACE] Woman Thread - #sharkweek on irc.foonetic.net

Postby crowey » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am UTC

yeah, I haven't tried much of their other stuff, the nail polish is pretty good too, I think. But the eyeliners are ace.

Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread

Postby Sungura » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:23 pm UTC

I like eye makeup too....and I don't know how to do it well, but I found this website to be amazingly helpful and has great videos and talks about the pros and cons of different kids of makeup and also the best brands (like...x is good if you want cheep, y is the best mid-line I'd recommend, if you really want to spend money though, z is by far the best, that type of thing).

http://www.makeupgeek.com/category/tutorials/
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/<any gender neutral>/snug

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

That website is fantastic. The only problem is that they make it look somewhat to a lot easier than it actually is. BUT! excellent color guide and idea gallery.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I tend to be super neutral on the eyes and a little more pronounced on the mouth because I think my mouth is prettier than my eyes...but when I say "more pronounced," my mouth is *usually* either a neutral or a sheer-ish berry, so not bright red lipstick or anything. I've been starting to experiment a little more with colors on the eyes, and I bought a palette of plum-colored eyeshadows, and a few green eyeliners and eyeshadows. They both look ok. I don't want to wear anything to bright or dramatic to work, I just want to look a bit fancier than normal, and give the impression that I take some care with my appearance. Wardrobe is presenting a whole other problem. I Do. Not. Like. "business attire."
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

When I want to play up my eyes but not go too dramatic--I often use my eyeshadow as an eyeliner--you can get special liquid for doing this, but I usually just use water and an angle or fine brush. I just wet the brush and pick up some eye shadow and draw it along the lash line and then once dry smudge it up a bit. It matches the eyeshadow perfectly and I find it's a softer look. Then I just do shadow in the crease and a bit of highlight on brow bone if I'm feeling that way.

I think both greens and plum colours must be absolutely gorgeous on you Sarah, those are just the colours I'd imagine for you.
Rice Puddin.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

I rarely wear makeup, except generally to go to clubs and such. Usually I stick with black/grey eyeshadow, and black eyeliner. And either Red or plum lipstick.

I have no idea if this looks good on me, and I'm probably doing everything wrong, and look like a raccoon at the end of the night...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

Well, unless you're buying water-resistant products, you'd probably look like a raccoon at the end of the night, even if you were doing everything right. Black eyeliner + dancing and sweating = raccoon eyes.

I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of you with makeup on, and it didn't look bad at all, but if you're interested in experimenting with different looks, go for it. The only real way to do it wrong is if you're really unhappy with how it looks, I think. Books can be useful, though. I pretty much learned how to do my makeup by following Kevyn Aucoin's instructions (but was never brave enough to try any of his more dramatic looks).

And thanks, Rin. I find that the plummy shades (especially if I use a plum eyeliner) tend to make my eyes look much more green. Browns and golds have no real effect on the color, and blues tend to make my eyes look much more brown. Which makes sense. Complimentary colors and all that. I can't really tell what the greens do.

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

I usually don't wear much makeup, but it can be fun especially on low self esteem days.
I am however especially fond of purple glittery nail-polish...
behold it's awesome sparklyness!
Spoiler:

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

I have Kevyn's books. I'd love to be able to do what's in there, and I've tried it a few times...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Cytoplasm

Postby Cytoplasm » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 am UTC

Does anyone have their hips kinda "higher" or "out of place" after some time and if someone helps you 'put them in place' everything hurts less and it feels wonderful?

That seems to happen to me, and I love it when they're put back in place. It feels sooooooo goooooood
¡No tengo miedo a fantasmas!

Spoiler:
Cytoplasm: I have catoragized some of my family into lolcats.
Felstaff: For a drudging Thursday afternoon, that level of cuteness has really made my day. Can... Can I keep you?

Felstaff wrote:
Cytoplasm wrote:shannonigans

<3

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:02 am UTC

Does anyone have experience with Yaz? I just started, following directions, and sharkweek is being....weiiirddddd. Just wondering what other girls' experiences with it might be...

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:18 am UTC

I'm getting an IUD put in in a week. Is there any risks or anything I should be worried about? I think it's my only option.

crowey
That's DOCTOR Crowey, to you

Postby crowey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:38 am UTC

er, shouldn't you have done that kind of research before making the decision/an appointment to get it put in? wikipedia seems to have a lot of info, and plenty of links to other resources.

good luck!

Cammy

Postby Cammy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:57 am UTC

lol sorry, I have done a lot of research. I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any problems. I tend to over-look into things.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I got an IUD (the Paragard) in May, and had really incredibly painful, long and heavy periods, as well as light cramping on most days in between periods, until I had it removed in September, at which point it was like my body magically unclenched itself for the first time since I had it put in. So...yes, I had problems. Some people do. Hopefully it will work for you, but I imagine that you found out in your research that IUDs aren't completely problem-free (if they were, more people would probably have them).

Isotope_238

Postby Isotope_238 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Wednesday: My best friend recently stopped taking Yaz, and she still has frequent migraines. Before Yaz, she never had a migraine in her life. She also might have PMDD, so that could be a factor. I don't know how her shark week behaved; all I know is what she told me at school.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:17 am UTC

pre-sharkweek waterworks and fucked-up brain activity has started!!! I kind of hate how everything is ruined forever for a week prior, and THEN its just blood blood blood. Its like I get two weeks out of a 4 week cycle to be normal and somewhat balanced *sigh*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Pansori

Postby Pansori » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Wednesday wrote:Does anyone have experience with Yaz? I just started, following directions, and sharkweek is being....weiiirddddd. Just wondering what other girls' experiences with it might be...

Yaz was a lifesaver for me because I have that PMDD where I can't even crawl out of bed because I am in so much pain from my oncoming visit with Aunt Irma. The major problem with Yaz is the price, and generic is not available. I have no insurance to cover it and $80 a month for birth control pills almost seems like a waste, especially since my boyfriend is over 700 miles away. D:

It helps with the PMS, but I am wanting to switch to Yasmin, which is much cheaper.
Last edited by Hammer on Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Decolored red text

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:pre-sharkweek waterworks and fucked-up brain activity has started!!! I kind of hate how everything is ruined forever for a week prior, and THEN its just blood blood blood. Its like I get two weeks out of a 4 week cycle to be normal and somewhat balanced *sigh*

When I was in high school, I used to get the waterworks on a regular basis, be much grumpier, etc and then like you said, blood, blood, blood. My favorite way to describe it went something like this: "So, for a week, everything either makes me irrationally upset or blindingly angry and then when that's done, I start bleeding from the vagina. Being a girl is awesome."

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:57 pm UTC

parkaboy wrote:pre-sharkweek waterworks and fucked-up brain activity has started!!! I kind of hate how everything is ruined forever for a week prior, and THEN its just blood blood blood. Its like I get two weeks out of a 4 week cycle to be normal and somewhat balanced *sigh*

Preach it. This is me to a tee. I'm currently in the bloodening stage and i'm just happy that the emotional hormonal fuckuppery is over for the next few weeks.
i dare you to take me on...

crickets

Postby crickets » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

On a completely different note:

There is a lady who reminds me of a mom-age version of Tin who comes into the gas station i work at. She has the most awesome clothes, and her son has the /greatest/ hair. It makes me giggle every time.
SecondTalon wrote:Virtue may be it's own reward, but so are Skittles.

Chai Kovsky

Postby Chai Kovsky » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

See, I figured out that IUDs are the most fun method of birth control. I've been bleeding/spotting for almost two months now, every single day! That was, of course, after I spent two weeks in unmentionable pain that sent me into a screaming crying wreck for hours at a time.

On the upside, there's a decent chance that Shark Week will go away entirely without birth control hormone insanity side effects.
Spoiler:
kellsbells wrote:¡This Chai is burning me!
Chai Kovsky wrote:I can kill you with my brain.

That is all.
superglucose wrote:In other words: LISTEN TO CHAI.
Delayra wrote:Yet another brilliant idea from Chai!

I <3 Pirate.Bondage!

tin
Foxy McAwesomesworth

Postby tin » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

crickets wrote:On a completely different note:

There is a lady who reminds me of a mom-age version of Tin who comes into the gas station i work at. She has the most awesome clothes, and her son has the /greatest/ hair. It makes me giggle every time.

Heeee. Is it too shallow to say that she sounds awesome? 'Cause...y'know...she does.
i dare you to take me on...

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:19 am UTC

On Yasmin: Tried it for about six months. Lighter Shark Week, but it screwed with my hormones and made me all sad and stressed. YMMV.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:19 am UTC

While we are on shark week blues...while I have never really had the whole pre-sharkweek fun, it has lately decided to just be shark half month instead of shark week. It needs to remember it's name. I distinctly remember there is WEEK in it. As in, one week. Not two. :evil: I give it one more month to figure out what the hell it wants to do, and then maybe it is time to go to the doc and put an end to it. If it wasn't for the horrible cramping, I wouldn't really mind actually, because while annoying as long as I don't feel it I can deal pretty easily. But it used to just be a day or two of cramping. Now it is 7-10 days of it. WTF?
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:39 am UTC

I have never been on hormonal birth control--because Shark Week is regularish and I typically have half a day of cramps and rare bouts of nonsense crying. Usually Shark Week is 4 days. I really don't want to screw that up, but also I'd like birth control. Science needs to get on this.
Rice Puddin.

semicharmed

Postby semicharmed » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:I have never been on hormonal birth control--because Shark Week is regularish and I typically have half a day of cramps and rare bouts of nonsense crying. Usually Shark Week is 4 days. I really don't want to screw that up, but also I'd like birth control. Science needs to get on this.

I had light & regular periods before I went on birth control (it's been ages since the week before has made me weepy/angry, and I hardly have cramps to speak of),and going on it made my periods even lighter. And more regular. I'm talking I could time them down to 45 minutes or so, and I'd rarely bleed for more than 12 hours.
I've been off BC for almost a year and a half now — there's no generic version of the NuvaRing, had a bad break-up, didn't want to pay if I wasn't haven't sex — and Sharkweek is as predictable & light as it was before I went on. Not regular though, since I find I tend to sync up with whoever I'm living with — which happens to be my mom — and she's been irregular-ish since I've been home. I'll get mine a week after she starts though, so it works out.

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:00 am UTC

I used to be that way, Rin, (except my cramps could get bad for a day or two, but it was regular and consistent and all that jazz) can I have it back please? (Also, your title! I like! What is the story behind it if you care to share?!) I guess at least I still am not having the mood swing issues. I do count myself lucky to have never really had to deal with that.

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:03 am UTC

With no interference at all (hormonal or otherwise), I get about 6 months of regularish periods that last about a week, and have some cramps at the beginning, but are not unmanageable.

The problem is that after about 6 months, I start bleeding lightly or spotting every single day, with no cramps. And it doesn't stop. This time around I only let it go about two weeks before I saw a doctor. Last time I let it go almost 5 months. 5 months, and it never let up. Evidently, this is the PCOS stopping me from actually ovulating, so I have no real menstruation. I don't know what the reason for the spotting is, and the doctor can't seem to enlighten me on that.

With the NuvaRing, my periods only last about 4 days, are very light, and have no real cramping to speak of. It's pretty awesome. The pill did the same thing, in that it made my periods incredibly regular and fairly light (although they lasted a bit longer than with the NuvaRing) and cut down on crampiness...but the pill also caused me to gain about 30 pounds in 2 or 3 months. Blech. So far the NuvaRing hasn't caused me to gain back any of the 15 or so pounds that I've lost, but I think it may have made it harder to lose any more. It's hard to tell. It could be a naturally-occurring plateau.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:03 am UTC

My uselessness at chess spawned that.
Rice Puddin.

parkaboy

Postby parkaboy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:03 am UTC

... I shouldn't be allowed to talk about serious issues when I'm a few days out. I don't put words together well and the most prevalent things on my mind are the most unpleasant issues I can normally keep under control. New plan for week-out activities: wine, box of Kleenex, chocolate and movies I can bawl my eyes out at. No talking, slip easily into cozy, wine-warm sleep, and media consumption. It sounds good in theory. We'll see how it goes next month.

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

What happens to your eggs when your pregnant? Do they get like a stopped or something because, if that is so doesn't that mean that if you where theoretically pregnant all the time you would basically have Shark Week a longer time?

Cause of this question: A very weird biology conversation in groups at school today...
Trying is the first step towards failure

Sungura

Postby Sungura » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 pm UTC

You stop ovulating because of the biochemical changes that occur when you get pregnant and the fertilized egg implants into the uterus.

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Yeah but what happens during the nine months? I mean there are nine eggs that don't get used or do they just wait for their turn so to speak?

Baldur

Postby Baldur » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:29 pm UTC

There would be no point in sending eggs down the tubes, when there is a fertilised one growing in the uterus. The body keeps the eggs in the ovaries, and I assume normal ovulation restarts a few months after the birth of the baby. This is my understanding of it.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:33 pm UTC

Yes. But there are some women that keep getting their periods even during their pregnancy. Is this hormonal?

PictureSarah

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

That is very rare, but I imagine that it means ovulation is still happening even though there is a pregnancy. It's not totally impossible. I know of a woman who conceived while she was already several months pregnant. The doctors delivered the older baby via c-section, and the second baby 4 months later or so the same way. It's very odd. Some women also have two uteri, which could account for periods during pregnancy in some (even more rare) cases.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

PictureSarah wrote:That is very rare, but I imagine that it means ovulation is still happening even though there is a pregnancy. It's not totally impossible. I know of a woman who conceived while she was already several months pregnant. The doctors delivered the older baby via c-section, and the second baby 4 months later or so the same way. It's very odd. Some women also have two uteri, which could account for periods during pregnancy in some (even more rare) cases.

I love how the body can survive with strange mutations like this. It's awesome! Biology is cool.

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:13 am UTC

Flightless_bird wrote:Yes. But there are some women that keep getting their periods even during their pregnancy. Is this hormonal?
When women "get a period while pregnant" it's usually not an actual menstrual cycle. It's just what women expect, so they call it a period, when really, what it should be called is vaginal bleeding or spotting. Things that can cause vaginal bleeding during pregnancies (without it actually being a miscarriage) : implantation bleeding, ectopic pregnancies, the placenta being too low in the uterus, etc. These are most of the cases where you hear about women still getting Shark Week when pregnant. It's for these reasons that some women don't realize they're pregnant until almost the second trimester, because the bleeding or spotting comes around the time they were expecting Shark Week.
Ovulation is not impossible while you're pregnant but holy-shit-freak-accident likely. This is called superfetation if you want to do more research. Having two uteruses is called uterus didelphys.
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Flightless_bird

Postby Flightless_bird » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

I didn't even know this condition existed it's really fascinating.

Return to “General”