GO weiqi igo baduk

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sprocket
Seymour

GO weiqi igo baduk

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

...terrifies the s*** out of me.

You may use this thread to discuss the game of GO.

Anyone care to try to teach me GO without making me cry?

I'm stupid...I think...ok not really, but when it comes to games I just go absolutely numb. Maybe it's performance anxiety? Anyway, the Massachusettes GO association is RIGHT down the street from my house, but holy moses if that's not stress I don't know what is.

I want a safe, friendly, non-judgemental enviroment in which to learn how to play this game. I know the basic rules (though I may need a bit of refreshing) I just need someone to play with who won't make me feel like a deer in the headlights/dumbass.
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

i'll play with ya, i've never heard of it nor played it before.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

I know the rules and have played a fair bit. I'd say I've got to the stage where I understand the game, strategy wise as well, but I'm still very much a beginner.

I went to my local Go club, but was also slightly put off by the level of players there. They were all into practicing loads, and analysing games but I just want to play for fun. Alas, I'll never get great with playing like that, but that doesn't matter when I enjoy it.

So yea, I'd love to play/teach you, although I have no idea if we can do it over the internet easily. My msn address is down there \/, or PM for my regular email address.

EDIT: Same goes for anyone.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:30 pm UTC

I would recommend the beginner room at kiseido go server (http://www.gokgs.com). They're very welcoming, and would be happy to teach you there. Plus it's online, so you can be entirely anonymous if you want.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Oort

Postby Oort » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

I love go. It's just as good as chess.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

Oort wrote:I love go. It's way better than chess.

Fix'd. For the record, I'm on KGS under my typical username (this one). I should try to get on there more often.

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

You don't have to capitalize either character. "Go" works fine, so does "go".

I'll take anyone here on; I'm itching to play.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:28 am UTC

I play under the name semicolon. I'm open for playing anybody, anytime, except right now. I just downloaded and installed Deer Hunter 2005, and I'm going to play it for novelty value.

FiddleMath

Postby FiddleMath » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:04 am UTC

When I actually get on, I play on KGS as FiddleMath.

What go I've learned to play, I learned at the local go club. The vast majority of the real-life go players I've met have been friendly, patient, and actually quite happy to play teaching games as long as I paid attention. In fact, I've found the go culture to be a lot friendlier than, say, the equivalent chess culture.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:You don't have to capitalize either character. "Go" works fine, so does "go".

I'll take anyone here on; I'm itching to play.
I was just trying to separate it from the word, I wasn't formalizing anything.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

bonder

Postby bonder » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:39 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm also on KGS, under bonder; I should try to get on there more often. I'm pretty much a beginner, but do enjoy the game. Also, a fun website: Go Problems.
I've never made anyone's life easier and you know it.

maxradical

Postby maxradical » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

Thanks for that website, Bonder. I've been learning go for a while and that site is already helping me a lot.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

I love go, though I'm not very good. I taught my ex-girlfriend to play, but she never quite got it.

hyperion
"I'll show ye...."

Postby hyperion » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Well after some time using that KGS site I've come to the conclusion that whoever made it wanted to be as confusing as possible. I'd like to play a game, but the lobby is so damn hard to use it's not funny.
Peshmerga wrote:A blow job would probably get you a LOT of cheeseburgers.
But I digress.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 am UTC

HYPERiON wrote:Well after some time using that KGS site I've come to the conclusion that whoever made it wanted to be as confusing as possible. I'd like to play a game, but the lobby is so damn hard to use it's not funny.

Really? I've never had any problem with it.

What do you find confusing?

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:30 am UTC

semicolon wrote:
HYPERiON wrote:Well after some time using that KGS site I've come to the conclusion that whoever made it wanted to be as confusing as possible. I'd like to play a game, but the lobby is so damn hard to use it's not funny.

Really? I've never had any problem with it.

What do you find confusing?

Everything is confusing. You have to really play around on it for a while before it becomes easy to use.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

I'm on kgs as zed0, though I'm not exactly good...

enntwo

Postby enntwo » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:28 pm UTC

my kgs is nickBlake

I am between 2k and 1d generally.

Id be willing to play, or maybe some teaching games for weaker players that already know how to play reasonably well.

maybe I could work with a large amount of beginners at one time or something to try and help them out. not sure

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

You people all make me feel so at home. I learned to play go about a year ago, and am absolutely horrible. I understand the rules, but I don't have enough game experience yet to have much in the way of "board vision" (to steal a chess term). I'm really into chess, and want to get into go, but just haven't had time to play much yet, or anyone to play with. I'll look into KGS, probably under UmbrageOfSnow, which I use everywhere. I tried to teach my brother to play, but he doesn't like it.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

I'd also suggest Through the Desert (Durch die Wüste) at Ludagora. It hits the same cognitive sweet spots that Go does, and is multiplayer.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

zim

Postby zim » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:02 am UTC

the free version of igowin is a good way to get some good practice on the basics. it only lets you play a 9x9 game in the free version, but it has a built in ai scaler based on win/loss and on a 9x9 it gets you used to lots of end game fights, since thats mostly all a 9x9 is, it gives you the basic idea behind larger starts and it gets you acquainted with lots of shapes with two eyes. Also, once you get into the higher kyu ai, it gives you a lot of practice "shoving" (i.e pushing someone out of some space you want the points for) as the ai is both good at the game and has a handicap. I played go for about two years and then went off to school. When I visited the go club at my school it really sucked (3 people, 2 playing and one reading a school book [and nobody talked to the three potential members at all]) so I stopped. Its been almost a year now, but I still find my stones in the nooks and crannies of my room/car.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

I'm (now) alphaomicr on KGS.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: GO....

Postby Yakk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:09 pm UTC

Careful with the 9x9 igowin -- once you are better than it, playing more against it will make you better at fighting igowin rather than better at fighting people.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Simius

Postby Simius » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Though the original thread seems fairly old, I'd love to play a game of Go with you guys. If there's enough interest we can create our own XKCD Go room at KGS.

Supergrunch

Postby Supergrunch » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm UTC

I love this game, I've been obsessed with it for most of this year. I play as BAZI on KGS, my rank is [7k?] but 9 kyu is probably more accurate. What ranks are people here?

Simius

Postby Simius » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

Supergrunch wrote:I love this game, I've been obsessed with it for most of this year. I play as BAZI on KGS, my rank is [7k?] but 9 kyu is probably more accurate. What ranks are people here?

I never played much online (I just think that playing with real tangible Go-stones is so much more awesome), but I used to be around 15 Kyu according to the people I played with. However I haven't done any games of Go in more than half a year, so I've propably climbed into the lower 20's again.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

I think go has great potential as a game but no one has taught me how to evaluate relative position strength, making the game wholely less interesting to me.

As a result, the only real experience I have playing was against a very defensive player. Thus I played in a very defensive manner. Thus our games were uninteresting with little interaction. Perhaps if I learned go properly I could enjoy it more, but I think I may always prefer chess.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

To clarify: you should play some 9x9 igowin. Get to the point where you can beat it when it goes first: this is the sign that you are now better than it.

Now, stop playing igowin before you pick up horrid habits.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

I was a founding member of the penn state york Go club. got pretty good, and the online games really do help.

Also, the comic "Hikaru No Go" gave some good insight and inspiration. Avoid the show, get the comic.
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

zed0

Postby zed0 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:02 pm UTC

Simius wrote:If there's enough interest we can create our own XKCD Go room at KGS.

This sounds like an awesome idea, I'd be interested

Supergrunch

Postby Supergrunch » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:I think go has great potential as a game but no one has taught me how to evaluate relative position strength, making the game wholely less interesting to me.

As a result, the only real experience I have playing was against a very defensive player. Thus I played in a very defensive manner. Thus our games were uninteresting with little interaction. Perhaps if I learned go properly I could enjoy it more, but I think I may always prefer chess.

I should probably point out that it takes a lot of games just to understand the basic principles of the game... around KGS 15k is where you start actually learning go, rather than what go is.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

I made a room for xkcd on KGS with the obvious name of "XKCD". At the moment its under "new rooms" but I imagine it will be moved to "social" soon.

Simius

Postby Simius » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:22 pm UTC

zed0 wrote:I made a room for xkcd on KGS with the obvious name of "XKCD". At the moment its under "new rooms" but I imagine it will be moved to "social" soon.

Really? I couldn't find it...

zed0

Postby zed0 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:48 am UTC

I've just talked to someone with experience in the matter and apparently you have to get 5 or 6 people to join a room at once and then ask an admin to make it permanent, otherwise it disappears when it becomes empty.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:32 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:...terrifies the s*** out of me.

You may use this thread to discuss the game of GO.

Anyone care to try to teach me GO without making me cry?

I'm stupid...I think...ok not really, but when it comes to games I just go absolutely numb. Maybe it's performance anxiety? Anyway, the Massachusettes GO association is RIGHT down the street from my house, but holy moses if that's not stress I don't know what is.

I want a safe, friendly, non-judgemental enviroment in which to learn how to play this game. I know the basic rules (though I may need a bit of refreshing) I just need someone to play with who won't make me feel like a deer in the headlights/dumbass.

Aw man, you should have told me before. I used to play Go all the time. Even had a portable set at home. I can bring it next semester or something. As for playing... I wasn't that good but I was okay... I used to be a part of a NY High School Go Alliance. Got the crap beaten out of me every time but I can still prolly teach you how to play.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:58 am UTC

zed0 wrote:I've just talked to someone with experience in the matter and apparently you have to get 5 or 6 people to join a room at once and then ask an admin to make it permanent, otherwise it disappears when it becomes empty.

hmmm... well I would join it, but I'm not (INS: always) online
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:41 am UTC

So... am I supposed to learn to recognize every arrangement of groups there is and hold every strategy in my head for each situation and know what I'm going to do 20 moves from now?

Because this is hard and I'd just like to know.
хлэб и Воля

btilly

Postby btilly » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Benitosimies wrote:So... am I supposed to learn to recognize every arrangement of groups there is and hold every strategy in my head for each situation and know what I'm going to do 20 moves from now?

Because this is hard and I'd just like to know.

No. You're supposed to train your subconscious to categorize arrangements of groups and focus your attention on what you need to focus on. Then think about what you're supposed to focus on. If you try to think about what to do 20 moves out, then you are guaranteed to get very, very confused. In fact many beginners who have played a few games find that they'll play better if they play quickly. Why? Because they start engaging the visual pattern recognition part of their brains.

If you are an absolute beginner and want to learn, here is my suggestion.

1. Get Janice Kim's Learn to Play Go series and read the first book.

2. Get a go playing program to practice with. (GNU go is decent.)

3. Start on a 9x9 board, playing with a 9 stone handicap. Reduce your handicap one stone at a time as you become able to beat it.

4. Go to http://www.goproblems.com/ and start practicing basic skills.

5. Read the second book of the series.

6. Progress from there in whatever way is convenient and fun.

When you get down to a 3 stone handicap against the computer you are still a rank beginner, but you've actually improved a lot. Somewhere around there you'll probably want to start playing the 13x13 board. Anywhere along there it is good to play other people. Look for a go club, try to interest friends in the game, etc.

If you get a novice interested in trying it and you've played a little, start them off at a 9 stone handicap against you. Obviously you do this because winning builds their confidence. But you'll probably do better than you think you will. And the handicap is necessary for how totally lost they will be.
Some of us exist to find out what can and can't be done.

Others exist to hold the beer.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:40 am UTC

Alright thanks. I've never played chess or anything (only D&D) so I don't know how my brain is supposed to work.
хлэб и Воля

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am UTC

You've never played CHESS? :shock:

I've been playing since I was 4...

Granted, not NEARLY as much anymore, but...
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Return to “Gaming”