Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

Re: Great Steam Deals (Update me regularly!)

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:That is a damn good deal on Mirror's Edge. $5 for a game that practically invented a genre is almost an automatic buy.

I got it for free. Legally. From the EA Store. A while ago they had some sale where they sold a bunch of games for a fiver each and if you put Mercenaries 2, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space in your cart, a glitch reduced the price to £0. I had already pirated and played Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, but whatever man. I no longer have to feel guilty about liking them.

LTK

Postby LTK » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:That is a damn good deal on Mirror's Edge. $5 for a game that practically invented a genre is almost an automatic buy.

I got it for free. Legally. From the EA Store. A while ago they had some sale where they sold a bunch of games for a fiver each and if you put Mercenaries 2, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space in your cart, a glitch reduced the price to £0. I had already pirated and played Dead Space and Mirror's Edge, but whatever man. I no longer have to feel guilty about liking them.

How exactly is exploiting a glitch different from pirating?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

I don't know.

BlazeOrangeDeer

Postby BlazeOrangeDeer » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:29 am UTC

My policy is to pirate stuff, then buy it when it's on sale. It's worked for Braid and World of Goo, two pretty cool games I got for a total of $10.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:48 am UTC

I don't pirate indie games. At all. Ever.
I actually don't pirate many games at all, especially not recent ones. Also, holy thread derailment, Batman.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:23 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:I don't pirate indie games. At all. Ever.

This. The company I've most pirated games from is EA, which was mostly an admitedly childish protest to their draconian DRM. But I bought Mass Effect because my respect for Bioware overcomes my dislike of EA. Plus, EA aren't being so paranoid anymore I think. So when they're on the cheap I'm going to buy Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Bought mirror's edge last night, but damn. 7GB download, and since Steam is such a bandwidth hog, it kills the rest of my Internet connection while it downloads.

Oh and as for pirating indy games, that just seems kind of evil. I can understand wanting to "stick it to the man" by pirating big-name stuff from big greedy faceless corporations who put malware in their games (EA I'm looking at you), but I really do like to support the independant game developers.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:41 pm UTC

I have so many high-quality, perfectly-legal retail games these days that I haven't played yet, and so many high-quality, perfectly-legal freeware games, there's just no point to piracy anymore.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

The sale is finally over, and I managed to only buy Osmos. I am impressed by my own self-discipline.
Better luck next time, Valve.
Because phlogiston.

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

defaultusername wrote:The sale is finally over, and I managed to only buy Osmos. I am impressed by my own self-discipline.
Better luck next time, Valve.

This is going to break you. Probably me too. I managed to resist all of Steam and D2D's sales so far. But now...

Direct2Drive UK's 24 Days of Christmas - A new game on sale every day. Today: Trine
Direct2Drive US's 24 Days od Christmas - Today: Mirror's Edge.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 am UTC

Oh crappe, they're having different games for the US and the UK? That's just not fair! To my wallet, I mean!

Or are there strictly enforced territorial restrictions?

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 am UTC

On the US site you can only buy them from the US or Canada, and from the UK site you can buy them from the UK and the European Union, generally speaking. Sometimes you can get a better deal on a game in dollars that's available worldwide on both sites, but they're generally more strict when it comes to the regional restrictions on discounted games.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

haha. man. I'm still waiting on my paypal account to get upped. Stupid lag.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

*emerges from RTS heaven*

Sooo... much.... squad-based.... joy.....

Red faction just finished downloading, I'm giving it a crack now.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Also, a midweek madness sale on Zeno Clash has been and gone (a pretty tidy £3.50, so I bought it) and there's a weekend deal on Tomb Raider: Underworld. A British fiver is probably a good deal but I feel poor now anyway and don't really care that much for Tomb Raider.

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Also, a midweek madness sale on Zeno Clash has been and gone (a pretty tidy £3.50, so I bought it) and there's a weekend deal on Tomb Raider: Underworld. A British fiver is probably a good deal but I feel poor now anyway and don't really care that much for Tomb Raider.

Good, good! I wouldn't bother with Tomb Raider, from what I heard the previous games were better than Underworld.

Direct2Drive offers The Witcher for 15 pounds. Should I, or shouldn't I?

Admiral Valdemar

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

What? No Introversion games? Get Darwinia and DEFCON. Classics both.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Admiral Valdemar wrote:What? No Introversion games? Get Darwinia and DEFCON. Classics both.

That's not the point. We're talking "Sales". As in that thing where if you purchase a specific thing at a certain time you get a discount
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:58 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:What? No Introversion games? Get Darwinia and DEFCON. Classics both.
That's not the point. We're talking "Sales". As in that thing where if you purchase a specific thing at a certain time you get a discount
Precisely. The deals are so good it's downright pointless to buy anything when it's not on sale.

Personally I've been waiting for a long time for Uplink to show up at a discount again.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

LTK wrote:Direct2Drive offers The Witcher for 15 pounds. Should I, or shouldn't I?
I dug it. What's your opinion of the Western RPG/Action Hybrid with more RPG than Action? aka closer to Morrowind than Diablo. Also, crapsack world. Nothing to not like there.

It's also nifty to kick on the Polish voices with the English subtitles. Fits everything better.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:50 am UTC

I bought Bioshock for $5 from D2D, as I did not really get why D2D only works in the US and UK. It's just downloading data, right?
Set it downloading for the day, went to work. About halfway through the day, I got an email from my ISP saying my monthly cap had been reached. Turns out I had downloaded about 20Gb of data from D2D through their crappy download manager, and the (5Gb) game was only halfway completely downloaded.
Sigh.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:38 pm UTC

I bought mirrors edge on special, thinking it would be utter rubbish. Pleasently surprised :o
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

dbsmith wrote:I bought Bioshock for $5 from D2D, as I did not really get why D2D only works in the US and UK. It's just downloading data, right?
Set it downloading for the day, went to work. About halfway through the day, I got an email from my ISP saying my monthly cap had been reached. Turns out I had downloaded about 20Gb of data from D2D through their crappy download manager, and the (5Gb) game was only halfway completely downloaded.
Sigh.

Huh, I never had that happen to me before. It's probably legal issues that prevents D2D from selling their games for America and Europe on seperate sites. Different release dates, licencing from the European Union, stuff like that.

Oh, and apparently you can play Dreamkiller for free. I guess it needs some publicity.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Medieval Total War II for £2.50. Yay.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

This is a wonderful thread. It needs to be in my ego search :mrgreen:
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Looks like Multiwinia is for sale on GamersGate for the next few days:
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-MULTI/mult ... e-flattest

Is Multiwinia a signficant improvement over Darwinia? My boxed copy of Darwinia has been sitting unplayed on my bookshelf for quite some time now.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Multiwinia is a multiplayer only (and offline skirmish) spinoff of Darwinia. In terms of what it plays like I can only sum it up as a cross between Total War's epic battles and Worms. You don't need to have played Darwinia to understand it but I'd recommend it anyway because Darwinia is such a different and awesome game.

I'd say it's definitely worth it for that price, but my name's in the credits so I may be biased.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

LTK

Postby LTK » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:33 pm UTC

Heads-up: At Direct2Drive US, Dragon Age goes on sale tomorrow. You should get it since I can't.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:16 am UTC

LTK wrote:Heads-up: At Direct2Drive US, Dragon Age goes on sale tomorrow. You should get it since I can't.

Um, WANT. Can you get the US deals if you live in Europe?

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:42 pm UTC

No, but it's only about €5 more expensive if you buy the regular edition on the UK site.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:01 am UTC

The minute Braid goes on sale, I will be all over that like a hot rash on toast. Or some other metaphor that makes sense.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:40 am UTC

When L4D2 goes on sale, I will have my metaphors and mix them too.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 am UTC

At the point that Torchlight goes on sale, I will do something like making a simile.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:16 am UTC

dbsmith wrote:The minute Braid goes on sale, I will be all over that like a hot rash on toast. Or some other metaphor that makes sense.
That already happened a few weeks ago. I reckon if it goes on sale after Christmas, it will probably be part of some splendidly huge indie games bundle pack. We'll find out in two short weeks, won't we?

PROTIP: If you're going on vacation away from whatever computer you normally use that auto-logins to Steam, make sure you know your Steam password, or you won't be able to log in and give Valve all your money during that sale! (You could of course change your password in such an event - but changing your password requires an actual installation of the Steam client, which might not be feasible if you're stuck at an Internet cafe or something.)

LTK

Postby LTK » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Uh, Torchlight has already been on sale at both Direct2Drive US and UK. You guys could broaden your horizons a bit when it comes to discount hunting.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 am UTC

I am hesitant to buy games from download services that are not Steam, as I prefer consolidation, and I'm afraid that I may not be able to have the game forever like I am assured with Steam or physical media.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 am UTC

FYI I live in china but buy stuff on D2D with my american creditcard, so they only check payment method not IP address or anything. So umm, make friends with american or get an american credit card somehow?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Axman

Postby Axman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:07 am UTC

Steam accepts PayPal and PayPal exchanges currencies. You don't have to play three card Visa. This assumes that Steam accepts your account location over your IP info, although to do otherwise would be both unethical as well as easy to circumvent.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Actually, I believe Steam will stop you if you say you live in one country and try to pay with a Paypal account registered in another country. I'm not sure of the exact technical details. (There may indeed be some IP-location tracking involved.)

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:I am hesitant to buy games from download services that are not Steam, as I prefer consolidation, and I'm afraid that I may not be able to have the game forever like I am assured with Steam or physical media.

I honestly don't see why you are. Direct2Drive offers unlimited downloads on your purchases and GOG is regional restriction- and DRM-free. There's no reason to believe they hold more risk to losing your games than Steam.

Return to “Gaming”