snOMG HE'S GOT A GUN!

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

Philwelch

snOMG HE'S GOT A GUN!

Postby Philwelch » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:09 am UTC

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2009/12/19/did-d-c-cops-overreact-to-snowball-fight-14th-and-u/
According to an eyewitness, a D.C. Police detective (pictured above w/ gun) went nuts after kids pelted his Hummer with snowballs at 14th and U Streets NW this afternoon. The veteran detective got out of his car and eventually grabbed for his gun, displaying it to the crowd. He did not immediately identify himself as a police officer. He calmed down once his fellow uniformed cop arrived. Apparently, someone called 911 to report a man with gun. The snowball fight had been well hyped on Twitter. The news of the incident first broke there. We caught up with an eyewitness moments ago.

"There was a point where it got really tense. The experience for many people was snowball fight kind of fun...and then there's a guy with a gun."

Edited again for stop trying to be clever. -H
Last edited by Philwelch on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fascism: If you're not with us you're against us.
Leftism: If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Perfection is an unattainable goal.

Lewton

Re: Cop brings gun to snowball fight. Hilarity ensues.

Postby Lewton » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am UTC

The only thing more ridiculous than this story, is the comments on that article.. Damn,,, They're like youtube level bad

mypsychoticself

Postby mypsychoticself » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Some more awesome/ridiculous quotes from the story and comments:
Chant from 14 & U snowball fight: "You don't bring a gun to a snowball fight." Banner: "No war but snowball war."

commenters wrote:The WJLA story is bullshit. It was never a protest. The sign said "No War but Snowball War." It never specified Iraq or Afghanistan. If anything, it was intended to be ironic.

The guy in the maroon hummer pulled out his gun and never identified himself as a police officer. As soon as he drew a weapon I headed up 14th street with my friend.

The Hummer was targeted because it was a Hummer. It was the fourth of fifth Hummer hit all day. It was an unmarked police car and we had no way of knowing if it was a cop. Every other driver took it in good fun. The snowballs were soft and the cop's life was definitely NOT in danger. He had no reason to pull his gun. Pulling his gun out was an extremely dumb way to disperse a crowd and made the situation way more unstable.

MPD needs to suspend or dismiss this guy. He's a complete embarrassment to the city and to his fellow officers. It's behavior like this that breeds distrust of the police in communities.

commenters wrote:Probably got picked in high school cause he has a small penis so he has to try and be a BIG MAN now.

commenters wrote:Fascist thug should have a gun pointed at HIM.
I knew that we had suffered each as other,
And could have grasped your hand and cried, "My brother!"

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

From what some of the comments say it seems that the local police have a history of taking things to far and bullying, dont know if thats true though.

Is it true that some news organizations are claiming that this was an illegal protest turned violent?
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Random832

Postby Random832 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:20 pm UTC

Not commented on in the article - for anyone else, waving a gun at people is called "assault", whereas since he's a cop he "merely brandished his gun" - yeah. he "merely" did something that would unambiguously be a crime if anyone else had done it.

Gears
Bulletproof

Postby Gears » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:29 am UTC

I'd be pretty pissed if people threw shit at my car too, but I wouldn't pull a gun on anybody. Get this dude some thorazin.
General_Norris wrote:I notice a lack of counter-arguments and a lot of fisting.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:09 am UTC

Gears wrote:I'd be pretty pissed if people threw shit at my car too, but I wouldn't pull a gun on anybody. Get this dude some thorazin.

I'd be pretty pissed too if people threw shit at my car.

But these people weren't throwing shit. They were throwing snowballs.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:21 am UTC

I like the top picture that goes with the story. To me it looks like the climax of an action movie (or maybe a thriller) where the protagonist has gone through hell and is almost at the end of his rope, but he has this one chance to bring the bad guy down and he's not going to let it slip through his fingers, that's for damn sure.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:00 pm UTC

I'd be pretty pissed too if people threw shit at my car.

But these people weren't throwing shit. They were throwing snowballs.

I've been in a car where a snowball ended up cracking the passenger’s window. (I was approximately 6, and in that passenger seat.) My mother freaked out, stopped the car and yelled for someone with a phone to call the police (cell-phones weren't as popular back then yet.) because she thought I could have been severely hurt. I personally had no idea what happened other than a loud thud and then my window being cracked.

Anyway, point being:

Throwing snowballs at cars isn't as innocent as it may seem, and can actually be pretty dangerous if small children are in the car.

So I could see the cop suddenly hearing a loud bang and thinking he was under attack...

... if he was 6 years old. Pulling a gun is inexcusable.
Last edited by Lounge on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

Spacemilk

Postby Spacemilk » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

Throwing snowballs at someone's car warrants a good scolding if rocks/ice are used in the snowballs, which is dangerous. I could understand if the cop stopped and let people know that they could potentially be doing something unsafe.

But getting angry when nothing fucking happened to his car? Unacceptable and a complete dick move.

And pulling a fucking gun when nothing has fucking happened? This guy should be fired.
milk from space is good for you!

The Reaper

Postby The Reaper » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 pm UTC

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1
Washington's police chief criticized a veteran detective Monday for pulling a gun during a mass snowball fight. Authorities said the officer is on desk duty while the case is under investigation.

Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier said she had watched video clips from the weekend confrontation and has no doubt that the off-duty officer pulled his gun after snowballs hit his personal vehicle during Saturday's record snowfall.

"Let me be very clear in stating that I believe the actions of the officer were totally inappropriate!" Lanier said in a statement. "In no way should he have handled the situation in this manner."

Hundreds of people were gathered for the snowball fight on a major street during Saturday's snowstorm.

One video posted on YouTube showed a man holding what appears to be a gun in the snowy street. Another video shows the same man telling people he is "Detective Baylor" and that he pulled his gun because he was hit by snowballs.

Videos also show a uniformed police officer holding his gun by his side before holstering it again. Police said in a statement Sunday that the uniformed policeman was there in response to a call about an armed man, acted appropriately and did not point his weapon at anyone.

Assistant Police Chief Peter Newsham told reporters Monday that the detective has been placed on desk duty and his badge and weapon have been withdrawn. He did not identify the officer but described him as a veteran detective with more than 25 years of experience.

"He has a very good reputation," he said.

Newsham said the internal affairs division wants to complete its investigation as quickly as possible, within a number of weeks.

"We have to put the whole incident into context," he said.

There could be a recommendation to discipline the detective, which could range from a reprimand to removal, he said.

Police have at least two videos of the incident, and Newsham said there could be more as the footage shows other people with cell phones and cameras. Police are working to obtain any additional material and will continue to speak to witnesses. He asked people to contact police if they have more footage or to make a report about it.

It's unclear why the officer stopped in the first place, Newsham said. There were no arrests, he said.

Newsham praised the work of other officers who arrived at the scene and de-escalated the situation.

He called the incident "very disappointing" as video of it garnered national attention after circulating on the Internet.

"It does bring a negative light" on the department, he said. Newsham said the incident detracts from the work that day of hundreds of officers who helped people in the snow and directed traffic.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

They appear to be handling it well.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

Yeah, given that you can't expect cops to be subject to the same laws that apply to the rest of us. Anyone else would be charged with assault for waving a gun around at people.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 pm UTC

A very good point.
At least they've admitted he actually did it...
Ⓞⓞ◯

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:At least they've admitted he actually did it...
And that he was wrong.

Which shouldn't be a hard to extricate and rare event, but as so often is.

scrovak

Postby scrovak » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:06 am UTC

True drawing his gun went too far, but considering it is a crime to throw snowballs at a vehicle, especially with someone in it, let alone a random person you don't know, I don't think it's ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW! bad. Especially because if packed right, snowballs could kill someone.
MrGee wrote:I would never eat a person. Have you seen the conditions they're raised in?
kapojinha wrote:You're amazing, which is why I'm going to marry you.

Angua wrote:coordinated baby attacks

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 am UTC

scrovak wrote:I don't think it's ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW! bad.

Will it be? No.

Should it be? Yes. Seriously, people called the real cops on him because he so utterly failed in his police-like duties to properly identify himself or act in a responsible fashion.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
scrovak wrote:I don't think it's ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW! bad.

Will it be? No.

Should it be? Yes. Seriously, people called the real cops on him because he so utterly failed in his police-like duties to properly identify himself or act in a responsible fashion.

Yes, he definitely did his job wrong, at the very least.
What you don't understand, you can make mean anything.

DoctorSubmarine

Postby DoctorSubmarine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:47 am UTC

folkhero wrote:I like the top picture that goes with the story. To me it looks like the climax of an action movie (or maybe a thriller) where the protagonist has gone through hell and is almost at the end of his rope, but he has this one chance to bring the bad guy down and he's not going to let it slip through his fingers, that's for damn sure.

Samuel L. Jackson is...Jack Frost 2: The Reckoning
This summer, don't f**k with his Hummer.
Careful, we don't want to learn from this.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:29 am UTC

scrovak wrote:considering it is a crime to throw snowballs at a vehicle

Wait, what?

Especially because if packed right, snowballs could kill someone.

Wait, what?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Philwelch

Re: snOMG HE'S GOT A GUN!

Postby Philwelch » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:46 am UTC

Apparently responding to snowballs with firearms is not unprecedented in America.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

To be fair, that other time there were also rocks and clubs and a huge clearly angry mob involved...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Freakish

Postby Freakish » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:38 pm UTC

scrovak wrote:True drawing his gun went too far, but considering it is a crime to throw snowballs at a vehicle, especially with someone in it, let alone a random person you don't know, I don't think it's ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW! bad. Especially because if packed right, snowballs could kill someone.

What if someone had tried to stop the crazy man with a gun? Someone else could have pulled out their own weapon right there and killed the cop in self defence.
Freakish Inc. We completely understand the public’s concern about futuristic robots feeding on the human population

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:30 pm UTC

Of course once again, because he's a cop, the person who killed him would probably have a much harder time pleading self-defense...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

MrGee

Postby MrGee » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

Freakish wrote:
scrovak wrote:True drawing his gun went too far, but considering it is a crime to throw snowballs at a vehicle, especially with someone in it, let alone a random person you don't know, I don't think it's ZOMG HE NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW! bad. Especially because if packed right, snowballs could kill someone.

What if someone had tried to stop the crazy man with a gun? Someone else could have pulled out their own weapon right there and killed the cop in self defence.

Teach me your secret ninja art of the life-threatening snowball. I'm dying to learn.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

MrGee wrote:Teach me your secret ninja art of the life-threatening snowball. I'm dying to learn.

Rocks in the center and a strong arm.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Compact them hard enough and a snowball is as good as a rock.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Bright Shadows

Postby Bright Shadows » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Thing is, you have to compact them a fair lot to get them near rock level. To be honest, I don't think anyone would be interested in making such a thing while throwing them at a car. They'd be more likely trying to throw as many snowballs as possible and then moving on to avoid repercussions.

Unless there was an actual rock in one of the snowballs, I'd really be surprised if this guy's SUV got more than a small dent.

EDIT: Hey look at this context-less post of silliness. I'm going to leave it, but this wasn't really relevant.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:Apparently responding to snowballs with firearms is not unprecedented in America.

And yet, the precedent set is that doing so is really, really unacceptable.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

Philwelch wrote:Apparently responding to snowballs with firearms is not unprecedented in America.

gmalivuk wrote:To be fair, that other time there were also rocks and clubs and a huge clearly angry mob involved...

And the way someone (in quite a few of the versions I've heard) yelled "Fire!" at the men as they were standing with their guns at the ready in case shit hit the fan. Really, it's crap that those people died but it was hardly a cold blooded massacre of the innocent as they protested peacefully.
Azrael wrote:

And yet, the precedent set is that doing so is really, really unacceptable.
Also, it's a completely different scenario and took place more than a hundred years ago. Does that still count as a precedent?

(No, I'm not trying to justify the Redcoats actions, I'm just saying that most sources on it are biased as Hel and all things considered it has nothing to do with this thread)
Signatures are for chumps.

Philwelch

Postby Philwelch » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:

gmalivuk wrote:To be fair, that other time there were also rocks and clubs and a huge clearly angry mob involved...

And the way someone (in quite a few of the versions I've heard) yelled "Fire!" at the men as they were standing with their guns at the ready in case shit hit the fan. Really, it's crap that those people died but it was hardly a cold blooded massacre of the innocent as they protested peacefully.

Which is why they were acquitted at trial, where John Adams acted as their defense attorney.

Return to “News & Articles”