Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ProZac

Re: Great Steam Deals (Update me regularly!)

Postby ProZac » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

I did end up buying Red Faction Guerrilla (Maybe I'll pick up the others yet) and proceeded to have the most fustrating experience possible to play this game. Apparently, someone (Microsoft, THQ, Volition, idk who to blame) fails at updates. Aside from the download being painfully slow, it crashed trying to download on me twice, then failed the update when it did finally download. After the second failed update, a quick google search revealed that it basically didn't know where the files were it was trying to update. After fixing that, I finally have a working Red Faction guerrilla (I hope) that I might have time to get into tonight.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Valve is starting to annoy me. I already have quite a few games I have never installed, let alone actually gotten full enjoyment from, and they continue to offer deals on Steam that I can't pass up. Jade Empire for $3.75? What is this craziness?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:15 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Valve is starting to annoy me. I already have quite a few games I have never installed, let alone actually gotten full enjoyment from, and they continue to offer deals on Steam that I can't pass up. Jade Empire for $3.75? What is this craziness?

Play them in summer. There's always a lull in new releases then.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Having been greatly enjoying Moonpod's Starscape, I was kind of hoping Mr. Robot would go on sale too.
In case you didn't buy it yet; don't. I thought it was a puzzle-type game, but it turns out it's actually cargo-droid parkour. And the concept is every bit as even more stupid than it sounds. Who the fuck came up with the brilliant idea to make barely crossable gaps a recurring element in a puzzler with GOD-AWFUL controls!? It's hard to believe, but this isn't even worth 2€.
Because phlogiston.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Play them in summer. There's always a lull in new releases then.
I was planning on that last year and ended up playing MvC2 and TF2 all summer.

I was about to ask about Mr. Robot but I believe the above post has my answer.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

I loved Mr. Robot! Anyone can have a blank screen, but did they pay $10 to have it? I think not!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

I've just calculated that I've spent over 30 quid in games in the past few days. I hadn't intended to spend any, but some of those offers were irresistible. Torchlight, World Of Goo, The Witcher, Trine, Plants Vs Zombies, Dead Space. Damn you, Valve! Get out of my head wallet!
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:08 am UTC

ProZac wrote:I did end up buying Red Faction Guerrilla (Maybe I'll pick up the others yet) and proceeded to have the most fustrating experience possible to play this game. Apparently, someone (Microsoft, THQ, Volition, idk who to blame) fails at updates. Aside from the download being painfully slow, it crashed trying to download on me twice, then failed the update when it did finally download. After the second failed update, a quick google search revealed that it basically didn't know where the files were it was trying to update. After fixing that, I finally have a working Red Faction guerrilla (I hope) that I might have time to get into tonight.

Man, I sincerely hope for you that you have more fun playing it than I did. I went berserk from trying to get through the GFWL client alone.

Another thing: I should probably have said it a long time ago, but Prey is a very good game that had the misfortune of bad marketing. If you enjoy shooters in general, Doom and it's followers in particular, you must play it.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 am UTC

I finally caved and picked up Jade Empire. I've been wanting to play it for a while, and the price was right. A friend took advantage of the deals to get me a copy of The Witcher for Christmas, and I ended up getting him Blueberry Garden and Braid for his birthday on the 28th. I gotta say, this sale has made me feel like a gamer again. (Actually playing games I haven't already owned for over half a year? Crazy!)
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm UTC

Some good deals today, Max Payne and Civ 4 on sale.

Though if you're planning on getting Civ 4 with the expansions, be sure to get the Civ 4 complete pack for £8.50 / $13.60.
Also, both Max Payne games are in a bundle for £2.24 / $3.74 rather than £1.49 / $2.49 each.

A bit underhanded not putting the bundles on the front page, methinks.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

Oh, good call - the Left 4 Dead four-pack is also on sale at $22.50.

Whaddya say, folks? Can four of us get together and purchase this as a group? I honestly cannot quite justify this at $7.49, but at $5.63 it's just about right.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:35 am UTC

And now they have even more of my money. :D Thanks to the lovely SoapyHobo, I ended up picking up the bundle packs for Max Payne and Civilization IV, along with Osmos (because I need to play more indie games). I hope there are more days before the end with games I really want on sale, it makes me happy.

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:53 am UTC

Bought Max Payne collection, and Civ 4 Complete, even though I already have Civ 4. The expansions and convenience are worth it.

I can't wait till the end of the sale when I can download my games at a decent rate.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Nice! I bought Shattered Horizon, and I'm not the only one it seems, as the game is now the third of the top sellers. It didn't get a spectacular release and/or much press attention, but it certainly has an interesting concept, namely FPS in zero G. They're certainly not going to suffer from the player base being too little, now!

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:46 am UTC

I ended up picking up Shattered Horizons, the Darwinia pack, and the Crysis pack. (I would have picked up just Crysis on its own, but only the pack was on sale). I have to admit I'm nervous about Shattered Horizons, I hope I can wrap my brain around it (and be coordinated enough to execute any strategy beyond flailing around wildly and launching myself into space with my gun's kickback).

Would anyone be up for playing a few rounds of Shattered Horizons at some point? An xkcd game could be fun.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:17 am UTC

Wolf wrote:I have to admit I'm nervous about Shattered Horizons, I hope I can wrap my brain around it (and be coordinated enough to execute any strategy beyond flailing around wildly and launching myself into space with my gun's kickback).

From what I've heard unless you're on silent running mode (i.e. stealth) your thrusters compensate for recoil. And if you're finding it difficult you can always anchor to a surface. But I have faith that the only reason people find it so difficult is that it's nothing like you've ever done before. Once you play for a while you'll probably get used to it.

I'm thinking of getting Shattered Horizons but also the Darwinia and Multiwinia pack. How are those games?

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

£1.79 is ridiculously cheap for even darwinia, you should buy it right now.
SoapyHobo wrote:Multiwinia is a multiplayer only (and offline skirmish) spinoff of Darwinia. In terms of what it plays like I can only sum it up as a cross between Total War's battles and Worms. You don't need to have played Darwinia to understand it but I'd recommend it anyway because Darwinia is such a different and awesome game.
SoapyHobo wrote:You should totally buy Multiwinia, if only because I'm in the credits. Also, it's a pretty cool RTS as Toeofdoom says, similar to Worms in it's craziness.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:42 pm UTC

That's that then. Darwinia, Multiwinia and Shattered Horizon added to my to-play-when-I-finally-have-time-and-don't-have-to-think-about-schoolwork list.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Swiped up Half-Life (1) Source & Multi/Dar-winia combo in the current batch of deals. Contemplated L4D1 the day beforehand, but passed on it in the end.
Completed Zombie Driver I bought a few days back, fun game, a bit short, but simple and sticks to the basic concept of "drive out in a car, run over zombies, run over bigger zombies, and maybe shoot them with a flamethrower turret if you wish".

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

I find it amazing that Half Life still sells for $10 after 11 years.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Portal is on offer today. If you don't already own it, shame on you buy it. Also Mass Effect.

Trust the only two appealing games on offer today to be ones I already have.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

The Sam & Max Complete Pack is sort of tempting, but I paid $5 for Season 1 a year ago and still haven't gotten around to it.

Are there physical copies of Season 2 in stores anywhere? I haven't seen it.

I wonder if they have something really big planned for the last two days?

guyy

Postby guyy » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Mass Effect for $5?! Gah. This must all be an evil plot by Valve to slowly destroy my penny-pinching personality.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:12 am UTC

What, more holiday discounts after New Year? This is madness! But I already have Doom 3, Mass Effect and Portal. I haven't played Devil May Cry, though. Is it more than the gorefest the trailer makes it look like?

I tried a few games of Shattered Horizon. I'm not having very much fun right now, but the fault in this is mostly in me. The game itself is very well executed, although the three-dimensional combat gets hell of disorienting in close quarters. In distant one-on-ones I get shot every time even though I'm trying evasive maneuvers. It could be that so much movement lowers my accuracy, or I just need to shoot better. The only problem I've found is the lack of a 'hold still' button. Quick and precise adjustments, such as a 90 degree turn straight down a shaft are very hard if you've got a lot of momentum, and it takes a lot of time to position yourself correctly, so the option to decelerate would be very useful.

There's also a bit of a speed problem. The game runs at around 15 fps on native resolution and minimum quality, which I think is less than I could expect from a gaming laptop with an NVidia GeForce 9600, a dual-core processor and 4GB of working memory. Any tips as to how I can get more out of it, or is it not going to get any better?

headprogrammingczar wrote:I find it amazing that Half Life still sells for $10 after 11 years.

But even after eleven years, it still gives you more than your money's worth, you will agree.

guyy

Postby guyy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:14 am UTC

LTK wrote:But even after eleven years, it still gives you more than your money's worth, you will agree.

I dunno...I bought Half-Life for $1 on a "10th anniversary sale" or something, and found it alternately frustrating, tedious, and confusing. There's no way I would have spent $10 on that, if I had known what it was like. Still, I'm a perfectionist cheapskate; and it did at least allow me to appreciate certain things.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:58 am UTC

Here's my damage for the night:

Torchlight
9.99 USD
Machinarium
9.99 USD
Half-Life 1: Source
7.49 USD
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
4.99 USD
Braid
2.49 USD
World of Goo
4.99 USD

And four copies of Audiosurf at $2.49 USD each. My god.

EDIT: Oh, and earlier Sam & Max Complete Pack, which was $14.99.

EDIT2: Buying Zeno Clash, Multiwinia/Darwinia and Gish and Osmos tomorrow if I remember/if I can get over the whole Steam-is-gouging-me thing.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

Sigh, now Trine is $4.99. Someone could do good business selling price-protection insurance for these things; I've now paid twice as much for Torchlight, Trine, and Mass Effect than I could have (and four times what I could have paid for Braid!). At least I still get the satisfaction of knowing that I didn't pay retail price.

How is Painkiller? I've been tempted by it for a while, though I've never been a big FPS fan in general.

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

You should watch the Zero Punctuation review of it to get an idea.

"It's got a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning. I'm not making this up. SHURIKENS AND LIGHTNING. It could only be more awesome if it had tits and was on fire." (paraphrased)

Alright, I'm vetoing Zeno Clash etc. Steam has gouged me enough.

edit: okay... maybe Trine.
Last edited by Zorlin on Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Ahh, I bought Trine a few days ago. Could have saved myself £2.55, the price of a pint if I'd waited.

Still, I think I'll pick up Painkiller. Damn you, Valve!

LTK

Postby LTK » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

Please, don't make the mistake of buying the Painkiller pack. The first Painkiller was the best thing ever while everything that came after it sucked. Buy the regular edition on Impulse, it costs five bucks, €3,50 for Europeans, and you get all the fun but none of the crap.

Zeno Clash, similarly, is also plenty of violent fun, but the story and the world it's set in are even more amazing than the gameplay, which is pretty well executed itself. It's one of the best games of all time for me.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

LTK wrote:Please, don't make the mistake of buying the Painkiller pack. The first Painkiller was the best thing ever while everything that came after it sucked. Buy the regular edition on Impulse, it costs five bucks, €3,50 for Europeans, and you get all the fun but none of the crap.
Actually, Painkiller "Black Edition" is also discounted to $5 on Steam right now. "Everything after" is thus $3.75, reduced from $75. But now that you mention it, the Metacritic scores are pretty pathetic.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:35 am UTC

Steam decided to ignores dollar-euro exange rates while Impulse doesn't, so Impulse offers it cheaper for Europeans at a standard price.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:26 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:Alright, I'm vetoing Zeno Clash etc. Steam has gouged me enough.

You're crazy. Zeno Clash is fantastic, even if it is a bit short.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

I'm trying to buy Killing Floor, but for some goddamn reason it won't accept my card. I think it may have to do with the billing address. Anyone know how to succssfully extrapolate a correct billing address from a natwest statement?
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Buddha with a bra on wrote:I'm trying to buy Killing Floor, but for some goddamn reason it won't accept my card. I think it may have to do with the billing address. Anyone know how to successfully extrapolate a correct billing address from a Natwest statement?

I believe the billing address is the address the bills get sent to, or the address the card was registered with.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Still got money left?

Until Jan 15, Crayon Physics Deluxe is available for however much you care to pay.
http://www.crayonphysics.com/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Not Steam, but if you enjoy Telltale's adventure games, they're giving away another freebie TODAY ONLY. This time it's Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, Episode 5:
http://www.telltalegames.com/trogday

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm UTC

Psychonauts on Steam! Today only! 2 Dollars!

GET IT
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 am UTC

:O

Why aren't they advertising this?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

They are. A big banner on the side of the store's homepage with lots of floating "£1"s on it.

Return to “Gaming”