0684: "We Get It"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

OCEAT

Postby OCEAT » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:08 am UTC

Title-text: The most brutal way I've ever seen someone handle this was 'Oh, you have a girlfriend. Are you going to get married?' 'I, uh, I don't know--' 'Well, don't you love her?' '...' 'Anyway, what were you saying about the movie?'

Tee-hee. Made me laugh. I know a few people like this.
Last edited by OCEAT on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Say "ocean".
Look at my name.
Tee-hee.

CorruptUser

Re: "We Get It" Discussion

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 am UTC

The alt-text did it for me.

a_ninny_mouse

Postby a_ninny_mouse » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Title-text: The most brutal way I've ever seen someone handle this was 'Oh, you have a girlfriend. Are you going to get married?' 'I, uh, don't know--' 'Well do you love her?' '...' 'Anyway, what were you saying about the movie?'

Ah, the oh-so-annoying phase of a relationship where the two involved persons invariably broadcast their relationship status non-stop. :x

audoue

Postby audoue » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:11 am UTC

don't talk to me about that! It is just soo annoying when people do this!

it's like ''Haha I have someone and you don't''

Tragoidia

Postby Tragoidia » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Even worse are newly weds.

New couple > Newly weds > Newly wed best friend with a cell phone and a "sense of humor"

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:12 am UTC

If any of my friends ever get a girlfriend.... oh god.

On a somewhat related (but not exactly) note, I find it ironic that some of my friends make fun of me for having a LDR, while they haven't ever had a girlfriend. I also find it very annoying, as they never shut up about it.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:13 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The alt-text did it for me.

Same here.

audoue wrote:don't talk to me about that! It is just soo annoying when people do this!

it's like ''Haha I have someone and you don't''

Heh, it's pretty annoying for everyone, not just the people without a significant other.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:13 am UTC

The real reason this is funny is because Jake Sully has a girlfriend/wife/mate.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Randall, would it be ok if I used the alt-text on anyone that brags about thier relationships to me?

I know, I know, I should be original, but I'm too lazy/stupid.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:17 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:15 am UTC

.cheeseofdoom. wrote:If any of my friends ever get a girlfriend.... oh god.

On a somewhat related (but not exactly) note, I find it ironic that some of my friends make fun of me for having a LDR, while they haven't ever had a girlfriend. I also find it very annoying, as they never shut up about it.

Ouch. The only good LDRs, in my opinion, are where you have 'fun' when you meet, and interesting discussions whenever, but still have the freedoms of being otherwise single.

On the comic, the worst is when people do this on facebook. Changing their relationship status just to get people to comment on it.

.cheeseofdoom.

Postby .cheeseofdoom. » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:18 am UTC

Magic Molly wrote:
.cheeseofdoom. wrote:If any of my friends ever get a girlfriend.... oh god.

Ouch. The only good LDRs, in my opinion, are where you have 'fun' when you meet, and interesting discussions whenever, but still have the freedoms of being otherwise single.

On the comic, the worst is when people do this on facebook. Changing their relationship status just to get people to comment on it.

Well, I won't even be able to be with her until at least the summer of 2011, but I definitely enjoy our relationship, and I know it's worth waiting for.

However, I can't get this through anyone's thick skull, and they will never see why I want to date someone that's miles away, regardless of the fact that we're in love

Also, more on topic, I hate people who over-brag, about anything really.

hezekiah

Postby hezekiah » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Damn it, Randall. Did you have to do a relationship comic? Today of all days?

I know, I know, 'get out of my head' and all that. Screw that.

God damn it.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Good comic.

That gets so annoying when people do it.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Glade

Postby Glade » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:31 am UTC

And yet, all I can think to do is MS Paint-o-shop this together with "How it Happened".

sonicspike41

Postby sonicspike41 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:38 am UTC

First thing that came to mind was the episode of Scrubs where the lawyer finally gets a girlfriend. Naturally he wants everyone to meet her and can't stop talking about her. If I remember right he realizes he's being a little over the top, and even remarks that he doesn't expect it to last more than a week.

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:54 am UTC

This was me for a couple days after I asked out

MY GIRLFRIEND.

Or maybe it still is. I dunno.
yeah yeah yeah

HighSpeedFallingObjects

Postby HighSpeedFallingObjects » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:59 am UTC

I saw Avatar just today. What a terrible movie. It's like one big, giant Hollywood cliche. At least it was pretty.

Anyway, yeah, I saw it by myself. . . and there's nothing wrong with that!

Troger64

Postby Troger64 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:09 am UTC

i think a small man named randy should be evicted from my cranium

i asked a girl to avatar not too long ago (rejected)

cleverdan

Postby cleverdan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:19 am UTC

HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I saw Avatar just today. What a terrible movie. It's like one big, giant Hollywood cliche. At least it was pretty.

It was twice as fun when I went with

MY GIRLFRIEND.

JustShyofGenius

Postby JustShyofGenius » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 am UTC

My girlfriend is seeing Avatar right now. With another guy. An ex, in fact. Hmm, that seems bad typed out like that.

Magic Molly

Postby Magic Molly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:33 am UTC

JustShyofGenius wrote:My girlfriend is seeing Avatar right now. With another guy. An ex, in fact. Hmm, that seems bad typed out like that.

Ex what? Convict? :shock:

I swear, I will rage at the next person to

MY GIRLFRIEND.

Really. It was bad enough the first time.

Vaskafdt

Postby Vaskafdt » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:42 am UTC

Well I haven't seen Avatar yet, my girlfriend doesn't even want to go see it.. she hates the concept of Hollywood film making.
then again, she doesn't even agree to try and check out XKCD.

maybe I'll go watch it with a few of my friends next week. if I find the time. but it's hard because I'm in a new relationship and I want to spend as much time with her as possible.
My Art Blog: (Slightly NSFW)

Cristina

Postby Cristina » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Well, *I* saw it last week with

MY BOYFRIEND

But I've never really been one to shout it from the rooftops when I'm in a relationship. In fact, we've been together nearly two years, and every time I have to mention him in a conversation with someone who doesn't know him, I always feel slightly uncomfortable before saying "my boyfriend". I don't know why, it's not like I'm ashamed, but I always feel like it makes me sound like I'm boasting. So I've learnt to combat this by just saying his name anyway, and then letting them ask who Jonathan is. :wink:

As for the movie itself, I felt it was slightly overrated (although this could have to do with me not really wanting to see it in the first place), but it was enjoyable overall.

And for the comic, which is really what I should be talking about: I lol'd. I know several people like this and it annoys me amazingly. Has anyone noticed that in general, it's the ones like this who end up getting dumped very quickly?
Careful, Icarus...

miles

Postby miles » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 am UTC

the so looked like a 50 to me for a moment and I wondered why the guy was named 50

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 am UTC

All I focused on was how awesome Avatar was. I sort of tune out people after they say 'I saw (insert movie here)'.

Bobberticus

Postby Bobberticus » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:53 am UTC

:(

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 am UTC

Why in the heck are we talking about Avatar? This is a COMIC thread- save it for another part of the board. Jeez, this is almost as annoying as the guy whining about religion last week.

Skythe

Postby Skythe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:56 am UTC

westrim wrote:Why in the heck are we talking about Avatar? This is a COMIC thread- save it for another part of the board. Jeez, this is almost as annoying as the guy whining about religion last week.

You didn't even talk about the comic. <.<

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:06 am UTC

Skythe wrote:
westrim wrote:Why in the heck are we talking about Avatar? This is a COMIC thread- save it for another part of the board. Jeez, this is almost as annoying as the guy whining about religion last week.

You didn't even talk about the comic. <.<

I talked about why aren't we talking about the comic, but you're right. But then, the subject of girlfriends is kinda sore from me (long story short, girl from my social circle asked me out, dumped me a month and a half later, and now I'm ostracized from the social circle too- and I have no idea what led to any of this.)

rwald

Postby rwald » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:07 am UTC

I actually saw Avatar today with

MY FAMILY!

but I guess that's not the same thing at all.

Also, for requisite "get out of my head"-ness, when I was in college we had a running gag similar to this. At some point, people got annoyed with this one guy always saying "Hey guys, I'm going to go <do something> with my girlfriend," so we asked that he just shorten it to "Hey guys;" thereafter, "Hey guys" became synonymous with boasting about having a significant other. You all should spread this meme now.

whitesoxfan

Postby whitesoxfan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 am UTC

I actually saw Avatar today with

MY FAMILY!

Congratulations, you have a family.

floreal

Postby floreal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:35 am UTC

rwald wrote:Also, for requisite "get out of my head"-ness, when I was in college we had a running gag similar to this. At some point, people got annoyed with this one guy always saying "Hey guys, I'm going to go <do something> with my girlfriend," so we asked that he just shorten it to "Hey guys;" thereafter, "Hey guys" became synonymous with boasting about having a significant other. You all should spread this meme now.

thats gonna be annoying for ppl who like to start a conversation with "hey guys" without having a boy/girlfriend :'-(

anyways... about the comic, BRILLIANT ;) even though the really annoying ppl are those in a "perfect" relationship coming up with "good" advice for singles when they really dont need it or havnt even said anything about the subject!!!
"hi"
"oh hi, why is it you dont have a boyfriend yet?"
"ehm, idunno?"
"you know... i think blablablablablablablabla like me and blablalblbablabla you will realise this someday when you blablablablabla"

rwald

Postby rwald » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:38 am UTC

floreal wrote:
rwald wrote:Also, for requisite "get out of my head"-ness, when I was in college we had a running gag similar to this. At some point, people got annoyed with this one guy always saying "Hey guys, I'm going to go <do something> with my girlfriend," so we asked that he just shorten it to "Hey guys;" thereafter, "Hey guys" became synonymous with boasting about having a significant other. You all should spread this meme now.

thats gonna be annoying for ppl who like to start a conversation with "hey guys" without having a boy/girlfriend :'-(
We learned very quickly not to use "Hey guys" unless we fit the prerequisites, or were intentionally mocking those who did. Probably the latter predominated after a few months, to be honest.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:53 am UTC

cleverdan wrote:
HighSpeedFallingObjects wrote:I saw Avatar just today. What a terrible movie. It's like one big, giant Hollywood cliche. At least it was pretty.

MY GIRLFRIEND.
And it was four times as fun with

YOUR MOM.

(sorry, it had to be done)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

baralong

Postby baralong » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 am UTC

Well I saw Avatar with
my kids and my girlfriend
and quite liked it, except it was a little more violent than I thought it would be, based on the rating. I probably wouldn't have taken my kids (aged 12) if I'd seen it first, still I don't think it harmed them.

I've been that guy, the trouble is that you aren't really aware you are doing it, as he says "what phase?"

The next stage is just mentioning their name all "I saw *** with <whoever>" later it becomes "we saw ***" leaving the listener to know/assume who you went with. This also lets you skirt the "geeze we've been together for over a year and living together for > 6 months, 'girlfriend' seems like a lame term" issue

stok3r

Postby stok3r » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:19 am UTC

hezekiah wrote:Damn it, Randall. Did you have to do a relationship comic? Today of all days?

I know, I know, 'get out of my head' and all that. Screw that.

God damn it.

Agreed. Just sinks in the fact I don't have a girlfriend to see it with...

Tho I am gonna ask someone tomorrow... maybe... I'll probably just chicken out or get rejected...

Gotta give it a chance tho :)

*sighh*..

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:22 am UTC

Cristina wrote:And for the comic, which is really what I should be talking about: I lol'd. I know several people like this and it annoys me amazingly. Has anyone noticed that in general, it's the ones like this who end up getting dumped very quickly?

If you give your partner, accidentally or otherwise, the impression that you are with them more for the social/relationship status more than for them, you'll quickly find yourself in a bad situation unless they're cool with that too. If that's the case, neither of you particularly cares about the relationship in the right way, so it isn't likely to last.

Good to hear that's not the case for you. :)
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:34 am UTC

But another human being is validating my otherwise worthless life by choosing to associate with me! Respect me! I am validated!

Actually, my girlfriend went to see Avatar on her own - curse you, conflicting work shifts - and wasn't overly impressed.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

alchemistique

Postby alchemistique » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:59 am UTC

I'm in a new relationship, and I feel like my boyfriend does this subconsciously. It's kind of hilarious.

He doesn't read xkcd...hmm, maybe after I show him this, he will.

maox0001

Postby maox0001 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 am UTC

I'm surprised no one has said this yet, but
I see you.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”