Nerdfighters?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Nerdfighters?

Postby Cristina » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

I was just wondering if there are any Nerdfighters who peruse these grand xkcd boards. If so, I propose that this is the thread where we can chat!

If there is already a thread like this, I apologise, and you may delete this one.

If you have to ask what a Nerdfighter is, you're not one, so don't bother replying unless you know what I'm talking about.

If I'm the only Nerdfighter here, please allow me to just sit quietly and wallow in my isolation.

If you want to find out about Nerdfighters and Nerdfighting, visit:

youtube.com/vlogbrothers
nerdfighters.com
UrbanDictionary definitions sum up the whole thing pretty well:
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nerdfighter
See the Rules Thread regarding links. - ST
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Re: Nerdfighters?

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Upon reading the Urban Dictionary definition, Nerdfighting is significantly less awesome than I was expecting. I was presuming it was some kinda multi-contest where you would show off programming skills, possibly robotic in nature as well as trivia knowledge, actual useful knowledge, and physical combat prowess.

Basically, chess-boxing with a quick recall and robot fighting segment along with the chess and boxing.

As is.. "Nerds who fight, usually against popular people."

Physical altercations that are unprovoked?
Physical altercations with clear rules set out ahead of time - a la Boxing?
Simply protesting?
... idiotic cyber attacks?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Cristina » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

It is really so much more than that, and one of those things that you have to be a part of. The definition really doesn't do it that much justice. I'm not trying to plug it, I'm just wondering if any other Nerdfighters come on these boards.
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Postby theoreticallyKat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:19 pm UTC

OK, I'm aware this is an old-ish thread.
but YES!
DFTBA :D
Even the fluffiest of silver clouds are made of freezing wetness

Spoiler:
doogly wrote:No no no, physics is keeping her!
[Physics authorized me to make this statement. I am not even kidding.]
theoreticallyKat

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Cristina wrote:It is really so much more than that, and one of those things that you have to be a part of. The definition really doesn't do it that much justice. I'm not trying to plug it, I'm just wondering if any other Nerdfighters come on these boards.

Maybe you (or someone) should elaborate then? After viewing the UD definition as well as the 'nerdfighters.com' website. I am similarly unimpressed as SecondTalon.

Though it's mostly because of how poorly laid-out and coded that website is.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby theoreticallyKat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

I'm sure true nerdfighters would give a better answer, like "they're people whose regular bones and organs have been removed and replaced with pure awesome."
But the truthful answer is: it's just the name given to the fans of the Youtube channel the Vlogbrothers.
But it is so much more than that really :lol:
Even the fluffiest of silver clouds are made of freezing wetness

Spoiler:
doogly wrote:No no no, physics is keeping her!
[Physics authorized me to make this statement. I am not even kidding.]
theoreticallyKat

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:45 pm UTC

DFTBA!!! \o/
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage
eviloatmeal

Postby Mr.RobLikesBrunch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

A John Green Nerdfighter?

....I loved Looking for Alaska. My favorite "Teen Book".
Mr.RobLikesBrunch

Postby wizardy42 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:05 am UTC

HOO HAA Nerdfighters! :mrgreen:
You're the architect of my dreams, Spencer. You plan them and build them on blue paper and then I dream them, Spencer. That's what you do for me. Thank you for that, Spencer. You prick.
wizardy42

Postby 3rdmandown » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 am UTC

Yes, finally! I'm new to the XKCD forums, though. Nerdfighters are 50 Jokes!

I've always wondered what the % of American vs. Non-American Nerdfighters is?

Also, Questionable Content is a good comic.
3rdmandown

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:03 pm UTC

...so, it'ssomething akin to Deadheads or Browncoats?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Uskozo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:56 am UTC

...so, it'ssomething akin to Deadheads or Browncoats?

*Giggle*

More like Deadheads, they do a lot of gathering across the country.
Uskozo

Postby Cristina » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:01 am UTC

theoreticallyKat wrote:I'm sure true nerdfighters would give a better answer, like "they're people whose regular bones and organs have been removed and replaced with pure awesome."
But the truthful answer is: it's just the name given to the fans of the Youtube channel the Vlogbrothers.
But it is so much more than that really :lol:

Are you questioning my status as a true nerdfighter?! The only reason I didn't give an answer like that is because anyone who doesn't watch the vlogbrothers would have no idea what we're going on about. =P

Anyway, wow, I didn't realise this thread actually had replies. I thought I'd get emailed. =P But yay, some fellow nerdfighters on the xkcd forums! I apologise at my apparent inability to properly explain the concept of nerdfighters and nerdfighting to those not in the know, but any nerdfighter will understand that it's really difficult to explain the in-jokes and everything without simply directing people to the vlogbrothers channel and making them watch the videos. On that topic, this video should be good at clearing up several questions.
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Postby Skythe » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:09 am UTC

I liked a few of their songs:
'I'm gonna kill you'
'Accio Deathly Hallows'
'I sold your dog on ebay'

The blogs themselves were...eh..in my opinion.
Skythe

Postby Baldur » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:44 am UTC

Cristina wrote:Are you questioning my status as a true nerdfighter?! The only reason I didn't give an answer like that is because anyone who doesn't watch the vlogbrothers would have no idea what we're going on about. =P

Ah, the sweet smell of exclusion...
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...
Baldur

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Smells like applesauce and half-eaten toast.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:46 pm UTC

Those songs are incredibly much like "They MIght be Giants". Like, almost litigiously
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.
fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby Cristina » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:Those songs are incredibly much like "They MIght be Giants". Like, almost litigiously

Hank acknowledges that many of his songs sound similar to those by They Might Be Giants, and cites TMBG as a major influence of his.
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:27 pm UTC

Cristina wrote:
fjafjan wrote:Those songs are incredibly much like "They MIght be Giants". Like, almost litigiously

Hank acknowledges that many of his songs sound similar to those by They Might Be Giants, and cites TMBG as a major influence of his.

Yeah but it's not really influence when what you're writing is essentially covers. Make your own kind of music and all that jazz.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.
fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby Chicostick » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

...I don't get it.

Are you just another group of people who stick together for some reason that you define but in reality doesn't actually exist? Like this whole "fighting against popular people!" shtick. What is a popular person by your definition? A jock? Because I've always been popular, and I also enjoy most of the things "nerds" do. In one of the videos that describe nerdfighters, his description of the nerds fits me perfectly, as I play the Tuba and know lots of Shakespeare quotes.

This whole "divide" thing is purely fictitious, and is mostly created by people all seeming to make it up and conform to the idea that it exists. These sorts of large groups of people who all claim to be part of some "exclusive" group has always annoyed me. Why become yet another follower? Why not just go and be yourself?

This whole DFTBA and all this stuff just seems like another group that people cling to so they feel like they're a part of something bigger and "exclusive." You're post sums it up nicely to me:
Cristina wrote:It is really so much more than that, and one of those things that you have to be a part of. The definition really doesn't do it that much justice. I'm not trying to plug it, I'm just wondering if any other Nerdfighters come on these boards.

"One of those things you just have to be a part of." Oh, so I can't "get it" because I'm not a part of this exclusive "group," and only group members really "get it." So what you're doing is taking this idea that popular cliques are evil and should be fought against, yet you form a similar clique yourself and do exactly what you dislike them for doing.

Why not simply state you're a fan of the vlogbrothers? That seems to be an accurate description anyway. I've watched a few of the videos and while they're fairly entertaining, I don't see where this whole nerdfighter DFTBA junk comes in.

Sorry if this came across as harsh, but I've never understood why people will so quickly lump themselves in with groups. Just be yourself and enjoy what you want, why do you always have to put these damn labels on everything?
Chicostick

Postby Cristina » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:Like this whole "fighting against popular people!" shtick.

That was just one of the things mentioned very early on in the community. It doesn't really have anything to do with that any more. It's more about doing awesome things and assisting in decreasing world-suck. We're just a tight-knit community brought together by out mutual admiration of the vlogbrothers.

"One of those things you just have to be a part of." Oh, so I can't "get it" because I'm not a part of this exclusive "group," and only group members really "get it." So what you're doing is taking this idea that popular cliques are evil and should be fought against, yet you form a similar clique yourself and do exactly what you dislike them for doing.

That's not what I meant at all. This thing is not in any way about popular vs unpopular, it's about being proud of intellectualism. All I meant in saying that you wouldn't understand some things I say because you haven't watched the videos and understood why they're so. It's by no means an "exclusive" group or clique. The general rule is that if you want to be a nerdfighter and/or think you fit all the characteristics, you are one.

Why not simply state you're a fan of the vlogbrothers? That seems to be an accurate description anyway.

Essentially, that's what nerdfighers are: fans of the vlogbrothers. That's the name that John gave us (in an early video), and it sort of evolved from there. Because nerdfighters - or fans of the vlogbrothers - became so helpful at completing various tasks (like raising money for charity), John and Hank then went on to state that nerdfighters are people who "are not made out of blood and organs, but actually pure awesome" - one of the many in-jokes. So really, it's more than just watching them on YouTube, it's also about all the projects we collectively get involved in; for instance, a month or so ago, many nerdfighters in the US banded together to help Hank and John try to win the DARPA balloon challenge. Furthermore, each year on December 17th, nerdfighters come together once again for the "Project for Awesome", a day in which they attempt to "hijack" YouTube to promote various charities.

I've watched a few of the videos and while they're fairly entertaining, I don't see where this whole nerdfighter DFTBA junk comes in.

Again, it all started in the earlier videos, in the days of Brotherhood 2.0 in 2007. Most communities seem to have some sort of motto - ours is Don't Forget To Be Awesome. It's intentionally cheesy and not supposed to be taken incredibly seriously.

Sorry if this came across as harsh, but I've never understood why people will so quickly lump themselves in with groups. Just be yourself and enjoy what you want, why do you always have to put these damn labels on everything?

Being a nerdfighter is not necessarily a label, it is just a way for us to identify with like-minded people. The whole point is that everyone is different. I've never come across any other community on the Internet that is so nice to each other all the time. Seriously, in all the forums and threads on the Nerdfighters website, everyone is just so nice to each other and very accepting. The vlogbrothers have helped many people who may have felt like outcasts at school or work realise that there are many people just like them, and they shouldn't feel restricted by any views they hold which are not necessarily conventional or "the norm".
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:20 pm UTC

Chicostick wrote:Why not simply state you're a fan of the vlogbrothers? That seems to be an accurate description anyway. I've watched a few of the videos and while they're fairly entertaining, I don't see where this whole nerdfighter DFTBA junk comes in.
Because Deadheads sounds niftier than "Grateful Dead Fans", Trekkies/Trekkers, Gearheads, Potheads, Furries, Ballers, Juggalos, Foodies and so on.. all name themselves such because it's a more interesting name than "Fan of X"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Bobber » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

I remember this thread from when it was posted in 2008.

Only NOW do I actually understand what it's about.
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

I still like what I thought it was.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby wizardy42 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am UTC

Cristina, I think you summed that up brilliantly.

In other news, John went on the froghopper! Remember that other video from a while ago where he was almost too scared to even stand on the table, and he took ages getting on it, and then stood up for 2 seconds and quickly got down again. Hah. I've never known anyone who was that scared of heights before.

Also, the yeti baby is due really really soon :o
You're the architect of my dreams, Spencer. You plan them and build them on blue paper and then I dream them, Spencer. That's what you do for me. Thank you for that, Spencer. You prick.
wizardy42

Postby Outchanter » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Upon reading the Urban Dictionary definition, Nerdfighting is significantly less awesome than I was expecting. I was presuming it was some kinda multi-contest where you would show off programming skills, possibly robotic in nature as well as trivia knowledge, actual useful knowledge, and physical combat prowess.

Basically, chess-boxing with a quick recall and robot fighting segment along with the chess and boxing.

Build it and they will come! At least I would.

Cristina (recently) wrote:It's by no means an "exclusive" group or clique. The general rule is that if you want to be a nerdfighter and/or think you fit all the characteristics, you are one.
Cristina (previously) wrote:If you have to ask what a Nerdfighter is, you're not one, so don't bother replying unless you know what I'm talking about.

...yeah, since this is a public forum I think an opening post like "Anyone watch vlogbrothers? Come gather fellow nerdfighters!" would have better accomplished your presumed goal of attracting both nerdfighters and those potentially interested in nerdfighting. The approach you took sounds more like "don't even bother replying unless you know our obscure jargon, you ... non nerdfighters, you."

For better diplomacy checks: try to predict audience reaction before it happens. (The audience here being anyone who reads these forums, nerdfighter or not).
~ You will eat a tasty fortune cookie. Oh look, it came true already! ~
Outchanter

Postby Weeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:41 am UTC

Cristina wrote:If you have to ask what a Nerdfighter is, you're not one, so don't bother replying unless you know what I'm talking about.
Uhhh...ok? This seems kinda silly. Actually, yeah, read what Outlandish posted. I was gonna add something here, but just go with the above post. It's much better.
Magnanimous wrote:If it begs you to switch browsers, would it be Internet Implorer?
(he/him/his)Image
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Zorlin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Cristina, your avatar makes me smile.

:shock:
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.
Zorlin

Postby Earlz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:59 am UTC

Zorlin wrote:Cristina, your avatar makes me smile.

off topic, but +1
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD
Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Cristina » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Earlz wrote:
Zorlin wrote:Cristina, your avatar makes me smile.

off topic, but +1

Haha, thanks guys. It's probably my favourite t-shirt that I've bought from Threadless. It's called Octadecapus.

And to everyone else, I'm sorry if I caused any offense. I started this thread a zillion years ago, and really, its purpose was to ultimately see if there were any other Nerdfighters on the xkcd fora.

On that topic, to the other Nerdfighters who will read this, John and the Yeti's baby was born yesterday! :D Little Henry Green is now a part of Nerdfighteria! :)
Careful, Icarus...
Cristina

Postby The EGE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 am UTC

Necro time, because TFioS is out and there is much awesomeness.

My copy came today, although I'm waiting till tomorrow when I can read it with a person with whom I am in nerdfighter-like.
sillybear25 wrote:But it's NPH, so it's creepy in the best possible way.

Shivahn wrote:I'm in your abstractions, burning your notions of masculinity.
The EGE

Postby Chuff » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 pm UTC

sambot5 wrote:After all, quoting from John Green's tumblr, TFiOS is supposed to make you:

[feel all the things]
I can confirm this, as well. (from other thread)

I don't think this is a spoiler (just saying how I felt) but I'll use one anyways.
Spoiler:
I spent the last 50 pages or so alternating between laughing out loud and sobbing.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.
Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby The EGE » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:33 am UTC

HOLY SHIT TFIOS.

I just read the first 5 chapters out loud with said person and "feel ALL the things" is right. My gods...

The EGE

Postby GraphiteGirl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Ok, I have a couple of friends who have recommended this Nerdfighter business to me, and I don't really know where to start. What's the book about, for example?
My hobby: giving unsolicited, ill-informed advice armchair psychology.
Sandry wrote:Man, my commitment to sparkle motion is waaaaay lower than you are intimating.
smw543 wrote:Two words: debate fetish.
GraphiteGirl
Alpha Male

Postby Chuff » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am UTC

GG! Nerdfighting; it's lovely.
Nerdfighting centers around the youtube channel the Vlogbrothers, which started as a way by which brothers John and Hank Green would stay in touch, and became the best thing ever to exist. This video explains it to a very limited extent. This is probably my favorite of their videos.

John is a best-selling YA novelist, and Hank is somewhat of an environmental activist but mostly nerdfights professionally.

The Fault in Our Stars is John's newest book. It tells the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster, teenage girl with cancers of the the thyroid and the lungs. She meets through her cancer support group a charming young man named Augustus Waters, who has one leg but remitted cancer. It's pretty good, I'd say.
The Great Hippo wrote:The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.
addams wrote:How human of him. "If, they can do it, then, I can do it." Humans. Pfft. Poor us.
Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby The EGE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm UTC

John has written 4 books alone, plus one split (Will Grayson, Will Grayson) and one third (Let it Snow). All are in theory YA, but worth reading as an adult. His first, Looking For Alaska, is one of the best books I have read.

The EGE

Postby Panonadin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Smells like applesauce and half-eaten toast.

Since the thread already got revived....

Do you mean a mix of the two? Or like one after the other? Additionally, does-half eaten toast smell different than say, none-eaten toast or 3/4's eaten toast?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.
Panonadin

Postby Melic » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

So i'm a farily new nerd fighter, TFiOS is the first book to come out since i started watching the videos. I just hope the John green is happy that me made a 23 your old male ( not part of the directed audiance IMO) who has only ever liked fantasy or Sci-fyi books spend all his free time and half his sleep time (for a day and a half) reading a book only to end up crying and wanting more. Good job John Green?
They call me Mr. Piman
Melic

Postby Chuff » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

If nothing else, John is very readable.

Y'all know what's ridiculous? Henry is 2 years old. I've been watching since before his arrival was prophesied. Wtf.
Chuff
CHOO CHOO I'M A TRAIN

Postby The EGE » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:55 pm UTC

Watching Vlogbrothers: making this day better since 20 minutes ago.

The EGE

Next

Return to General