Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M.D.)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M.D.)

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:20 am UTC

This wins so much. So, so much.

Out of interest, how many American fans of House were surprised to find out he was English?
www.gaming4charity.org
Nuclear Spoon

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 am UTC

I've been watching him since he was Prince George. I'm a reg on the Hizzy forum on TWOP.

Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Castaway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 am UTC

Yeah, it is win. I've been watching him since he had a cameo on The Young Ones before I was born. There was a show made of win.

spoiler wrote:do you really think they'll throw all his assistants of the show?
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat
Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 am UTC

SPOILER:

Yes, they will throw away the assistants. One new one has been cast, and the rest are being narrowed down.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Castaway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:25 am UTC

Ballin'! I hated those motherfuckers.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat
Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:43 am UTC

*points to current signature*
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.
Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Weasel » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:59 am UTC

I like House, although I only have season 1 and 2 on my computer =/ I need to get more.

My boyfriend always teases me when I watch it and goes "oooh, they didn't figure it out! They're wrong! Know how I know that? The episode isn't over!"

Jerk.
Weasel

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:07 am UTC

I <3 Nyarlathotep's current sig.

Nyarlathotep's current sig wrote:
Jaiwithani wrote:When Batman gets sick, it'll be House who saves him by figuring out what kind of bacteria was growing in the Batcave. JUST WAIT AND SEE.

Quoted for prosterity.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 am UTC

It's never lupus.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Memo » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:19 am UTC

It has been said that Bruce Schneier has implanted in his leg the chunk of leg muscle that House lacks. That's the reason for his roundkicks.

Also, if Dr. House had studied Veterinary he could have stopped the dinosaur extinction.x
Memo

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 am UTC

House is brilliant! Even though it was known long before this, Hugh Laurie is brilliant. And he's unbelievably sexy. Now all this show needs is a guest appearance by Stephen Fry.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Re: House M.D.

Postby semicolon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:04 pm UTC

Nuclear Spoon wrote:Out of interest, how many American fans of House were surprised to find out he was English?

I downloaded a bunch of episodes of A Bit of Fry and Laurie on a whim, and I was like, "wow what the fuck check out the accent!"

His fake American accent is amazing.
semicolon

Postby Rodan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

I've known about Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie from Jeeves and Wooster (which is also win). House is awesome.
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

He auditioned for the part over the phone in a bathroom. They had heard of Hugh Laurie only because he had been in "Stuart Little"... as an American.

I love that anecdote.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Re: House M.D.

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Nuclear Spoon wrote:Out of interest, how many American fans of House were surprised to find out he was English?

I downloaded a bunch of episodes of A Bit of Fry and Laurie on a whim, and I was like, "wow what the fuck check out the accent!"

His fake American accent is amazing.

you should have been noticing that it was extremely funny as well.

soupy twist :wink:
in ur beanz makin u eveel
evilbeanfiend

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

Of course..Accuracy Counts.

From what I've seen, it's an enjoyable show.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby T3m3r1ty » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:18 pm UTC

Awesome link. Thanks
River: Noah's Ark is a problem.
Book: Really.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.
T3m3r1ty

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 pm UTC

I'm likely to get shunned for this, but I hate House.

I've only caught two episodes and they both annoyed the hell out of me. The House character is an ass, and with the drug use and whatnot is a danger to his patients.

And while everyone talks about his brilliant diagnoses, it seemed to me watching the show that he just kept making shot after shot in the dark, and eventually one of them was right. This doesn't make him brilliant at diagnoses, it just makes him a guy capable of spouting off every possible problem that matches some/all of the symptoms. Hell it seems like half the time his diagnoses make the patient much *worse* before he finally hits on the right one and makes them better.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby Nuclear Spoon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:00 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:I'm likely to get shunned for this, but I hate House.

I've only caught two episodes and they both annoyed the hell out of me. The House character is an ass, and with the drug use and whatnot is a danger to his patients.

He is supposed to be an ass. It would be boring if he wasn't.
www.gaming4charity.org
Nuclear Spoon

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

Nuclear Spoon wrote:

Yes, but he's an ass who isn't even particularly good at his job. So he's an ass without any real redeeming value.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Nuclear Spoon wrote:

Exactly, that's the whole point. He's mean, manipulative, selfish and rude. But he's really really good at what he does and he's always right (almost). He's Sherlock Holmes, basically. Well, Sherlock Holmes with more atitude.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Rodan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
Nuclear Spoon wrote:

Yes, but he's an ass who isn't even particularly good at his job. So he's an ass without any real redeeming value.

He's pretty damn good at his job... I mean, he cures the patients in all the episodes I've seen, and I would assume in most (except that baby one...)
Rodan
Any title.

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

And if he was truly good and didn't need to make the shots in the dark, each episode would only be 10 minutes. Let us not lose our perspective of the fact that its a television show meant to keep us watching for an hour.
saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:57 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:
Pixel wrote:
Nuclear Spoon wrote:

He's pretty damn good at his job... I mean, he cures the patients in all the episodes I've seen, and I would assume in most (except that baby one...)

Indeed. So far we only know of two patients he's ever lost, and we've only seen one.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:14 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:And if he was truly good and didn't need to make the shots in the dark, each episode would only be 10 minutes. Let us not lose our perspective of the fact that its a television show meant to keep us watching for an hour.

Yeah, but the mechanism used to make it a usable length is what annoys me about the TV show. Thus the TV show annoys me.

I do not find his character enjoyable, being smart does not give you license to be an ass. Nothing gives a doctor a right to be a drug addict (and thus potentially endanger the lives of his patients).

And the shots in the dark annoyed me in general, to the point where I don't watch the show. But the number of people talking about how brilliant a doc he is, when every episode he's just throwing treatments at a patient until something sticks has the net effect of annoying me every time the subject comes up.

To bring it to something I know personally. A good mechanic figures out what is wrong with a car, and fixes that. A mediocre mechanic "throws parts at the problem" by replacing anything that might be related, until the problem goes away. Yes in the end they both fix the car, but the first is much more elegant, and a lot simpler.

And since I'm writing all this, I'll offer an alternative so I'm not just whining. To me what would show a brilliant doctor would be for the episode to consist of them running tests, exploring the patient history, etc. *Then* coming up with the brilliant diagnosis that saves the patient.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:being smart does not give you license to be an ass.

Lies.

Pixel wrote:And since I'm writing all this, I'll offer an alternative so I'm not just whining. To me what would show a brilliant doctor would be for the episode to consist of them running tests, exploring the patient history, etc. *Then* coming up with the brilliant diagnosis that saves the patient.

And that would be entertaining?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby Rodan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:And if he was truly good and didn't need to make the shots in the dark, each episode would only be 10 minutes. Let us not lose our perspective of the fact that its a television show meant to keep us watching for an hour.

Yeah, but the mechanism used to make it a usable length is what annoys me about the TV show. Thus the TV show annoys me.

I do not find his character enjoyable, being smart does not give you license to be an ass. Nothing gives a doctor a right to be a drug addict (and thus potentially endanger the lives of his patients).

And the shots in the dark annoyed me in general, to the point where I don't watch the show. But the number of people talking about how brilliant a doc he is, when every episode he's just throwing treatments at a patient until something sticks has the net effect of annoying me every time the subject comes up.

To bring it to something I know personally. A good mechanic figures out what is wrong with a car, and fixes that. A mediocre mechanic "throws parts at the problem" by replacing anything that might be related, until the problem goes away. Yes in the end they both fix the car, but the first is much more elegant, and a lot simpler.

And since I'm writing all this, I'll offer an alternative so I'm not just whining. To me what would show a brilliant doctor would be for the episode to consist of them running tests, exploring the patient history, etc. *Then* coming up with the brilliant diagnosis that saves the patient.

Yes, but without House, no shots would be taken in the dark when nobody knows what's wrong. At least House knows what shots to take in the dark.
Rodan
Any title.

Postby Pixel » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Pixel wrote:And since I'm writing all this, I'll offer an alternative so I'm not just whining. To me what would show a brilliant doctor would be for the episode to consist of them running tests, exploring the patient history, etc. *Then* coming up with the brilliant diagnosis that saves the patient.

CSI and it's spinoffs seem to be doing pretty good with that basic concept.

And smart people who are asses piss me off even more than stupid people who are asses, because in theory the smart person should be smart enough to know better.

"Less bite, more wobble"
Pixel

Postby Mother Superior » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:

CSI and it's spinoffs seem to be doing pretty good with that basic concept.

And smart people who are asses piss me off even more than stupid people who are asses, because in theory the smart person should be smart enough to know better.

Well the focus of House MD is House. So if you fail to love House, yes, you will hate the show.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby T3m3r1ty » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:
saxmaniac1987 wrote:

Yes, but without House, no shots would be taken in the dark when nobody knows what's wrong. At least House knows what shots to take in the dark.

Let me respond with something that I know about personally. "Medicine is NOT a science" as they told me at the hospital last week. The human body is vastly more complex than ANY car so your analogy is flawed and to be honest despite having done lots of tests and explored my patient history they just don't know what is wrong with me so, guess what they are doing? That's right, treating me with something to see if it will stick, hoping it wont make me worse and that it might make me better and in the meantime they have ordered up a whole bunch of more tests. Hmmm, what TV show does this remind me of? I hope they figure it out just after the last commercial break and before the show ends.

EDIT:

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

AAAAAaaarrgghhhh!!! Please fix your errant apostrophe. It's "underage patients' tits" unless he only has ONE and I think if he kept doing that with the same patient someone would notice before very long.
River: We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon. Only way to fit five thousand species of mammal on the same boat.
T3m3r1ty

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Sorry, but I have a policy of not taking grammar advice from someone who's name is written in haxor.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 am UTC

Why are you even in this thread? It really doesn't make sense to me to come into a thread full of people talking about how great something is to say that you don't like it. I'm sure there's a lot of people on the fora that don't like House, and I'm sure you'd find it waaaaay more productive to be talking to them instead of us!
Linguistic Anarchist
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.
GhostWolfe

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

T3m3r1ty wrote:AAAAAaaarrgghhhh!!! Please fix your errant apostrophe. It's "underage patients' tits" unless he only has ONE and I think if he kept doing that with the same patient someone would notice before very long.

Point of interest: Lurk moar. Not every single picture a person posts was created by them.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
Spoiler:
Nullcline wrote:What a colossal waste of stupidity.
fjafjan wrote:I got quite a lot of "batter" left
natraj wrote:skydiving is p fun (in this respect it is almost exactly unlike centipedes)
doogly wrote:Oh, I like everything!
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby T3m3r1ty » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
T3m3r1ty wrote:AAAAAaaarrgghhhh!!! Please fix your errant apostrophe. It's "underage patients' tits" unless he only has ONE and I think if he kept doing that with the same patient someone would notice before very long.

Point of interest: Lurk moar. Not every single picture a person posts was created by them.

In my defence let me mention that if you right-click on the picture and then choose properties, you get to see where it's hosted: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mi ... ness-1.jpg call me naive if you wish but I'm guessing that the "mightlyjalapeno" in the middle of that there URL is a fairly strong indicator that (s)he put it on photobucket in the first place.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Sorry, but I have a policy of not taking grammar advice from someone who's name is written in haxor.

Strange policy, spelling and grammar are not the same and you may be missing an important lesson. I only spell my name that way because usually "Temerity" is already taken on established boards and my mispelling allows me to use a reasonably recognisable form of the name I actually want so I have got into the habit of not even bothering to check for the correct spelling. Also, in haxor it would be "73m3ri7y" or even "|-|4(|{3®"
T3m3r1ty

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

So you can't even write in haxor properly? Shameful, really.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:40 pm UTC

/\ oh, snap

As a side note, due to this thread, I've started watching TV again, just so I could watch House the other night. It was awesome. (Not counting DvDs, I haven't turned on the TV for months.)

Also note: just because you put something in photobucket doesn't mean that you created it. It just means that photobucket is pretty much the easiest way to post pics here.
Linguistic Anarchist
GhostWolfe

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Why are you even in this thread?
God forbid there be actual discussion among fawning.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.
Vaniver

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

SilverWolfe wrote:Also note: just because you put something in photobucket doesn't mean that you created it. It just means that photobucket is pretty much the easiest way to post pics here.

I did create it. Do you want me to send you the PSD?
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby SpitValve » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:17 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:Hell it seems like half the time his diagnoses make the patient much *worse* before he finally hits on the right one and makes them better.

Actually, every single episode he makes the patients get worse before they get better. It's quite a formulaic show. But somehow, despite knowing exactly what's gonna happen, I still love it...
SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Pixel wrote:Hell it seems like half the time his diagnoses make the patient much *worse* before he finally hits on the right one and makes them better.

Actually, every single episode he makes the patients get worse before they get better. It's quite a formulaic show. But somehow, despite knowing exactly what's gonna happen, I still love it...

Indeed. Which is a really hard trick to pull off. Brilliant writers on this show.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows