Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:35 am UTC

Whoof. Mighty fine first episode.

Thoughts?
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Postby MikeBabaguh » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:09 am UTC

I don't get Starz, but I was able to see the first episode on Encore.

It's terrible.

I won't bother to go into the details, I'm still dismayed by Book of Eli receiving favorable reviews on this forum.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.
MikeBabaguh

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

MikeBabaguh wrote:I won't bother to go into the details, I'm still dismayed by Book of Eli receiving favorable reviews on this forum.

Take it to the Book of Eli thread. With details. There.

MikeBabaguh wrote:It's terrible.

Elaborate? Two words, one of which is a contraction, does not for a review or input make.
I rather enjoyed the over-the-top visuals and ultraviolence, as well as the crazy, 'THE WORLD IS ENDING' sex everyone is having.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby cv4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:05 am UTC

I really like the stylized, over-the-top visuals. After watching the first two episodes, I would say that it definitely entertains me enough to continue watching.
cv4

Postby Lucrece » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:19 am UTC

The sex is really tame compared to what was really going on in the Roman Empire. Just letting you know. If anything, they toned it down for contemporary audiences.

I saw three episodes before it was released, can't wait for the fourth.

And now I can brag that I've seen Xena's tits.

The show is Starz's most successful thus far.

Nevertheless, the dialogue is cheesy, as is the case most of the time with these genres. But who cares? Scantily clad men is more than enough.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:19 am UTC

At one point, the gladiator trainer walked out and I was convinced he was wearing a stylized metal breastplate... It took a second before I realized the actor was just THAT ripped. I'm rather enjoying the combat, and particularly, how the protagonist is very skilled, but also very very lucky.

I was struck by the sort of silliness of slaves handling foreplay with your spouse. How was the actual sex crazier?
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Lucrece » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Far less sexual mores. They also don't show you how fetishistic it was. These kinds of situations didn't just happen at night during a sex session. Sexual situations would extend to while one would be eating. Masters/mistresses got very creative with their slaves.

And, yeah, they're working the guys into the ground. Spartacus's actor actually remarked the evils of filming in almost 0 degrees centigrade, and they would still be sprayed with water to make them look sweaty and glistening.

As for the combat, it's exquisitely gory. I remember seeing the poor guy get his throat slashed to the pint where his head was only half-attached to his body. You could see the inner tissue >_<.

Something else that I loved are the effects of scenic shifts. It reminds me of the game Okami.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Yeah, since I don't have Starz, I have to wait for yidio or sidereel to post it the next morning.

Episode was wicked. Theocles was Silas on steroids and not having gotten a haircut for months. Loved him.
Lucrece

Postby JonScholar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

To me the Spartacus character is a real let down. I mean we're supposed to believe this man is some epic warrior, we see him kicking serious ass in the first episode, but after that... nothing. It seems to me he's just been getting by since then. Case in point:

Spoiler:
In episode 2 he flukes in beating Crixus. In episode 3 he gets beaten bloody by Crixus and has to surrender. In episode 5 he only wins the fight because Crixus shines light in the guy's eyes

It's like his mouth is constantly writing checks that his ass can't cash. What happened to the BAMF in the first episode that single handedly took out 4 gladiators?
JonScholar

Postby ArgonV » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

They were supposed to be inferior gladiators though.
ArgonV

Postby Lucrece » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Yeah, can't say epic, monstrous gladiators turn out of thin space.

They're showing his beginnings, not just the end part where he's all powerful.

As for saying shit you can't back up, that's like asking the average male not to have sexual thoughts. Men just front a lot.
Lucrece

Postby Reborn » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Well the last episode was quite shocking.
Spoiler:
I never thought Barca would die this early, and like that. But Sura?! I knew they weren't going to be togheter. Still, why did she had to die =/
Shhh. My common sense is tingling.
Reborn

Postby Lucrece » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Yeah at first I was pissed and shocked about what happened to Barca, and the scene with Sura had me bawling like a baby.

It was brilliant writing, however emotionally unappealing it was. It doesn't romanticize Roman society like so many shows and movies do. Slaves lived terrible lives, and Rome's caste system and corruption, along with the perverse disregard for foreign well-being led to the Empire's downfall.

Also, Batiatus and Ashur took abrupt turns from somewhat sympathetic, if not partially flawed characters, into downright pondscum. What was Barca's loyalty in the end worth? Not a moment of regret. Spartacus's servitude? Nothing.

I eagerly await even more gruesome, skin-flaying/setting afire/ripping eyes out kind of torturous deaths for those two, at least. Will make me feel a lot better about this episode.

Also, it leaves people with the question of what will drive Spartacus now, and what will happen with Pietros. We saw in the previous episode that another gladiator was eying Pietros lustily; so now that he has no protection, maybe he'll be in a storyline where he will need to fend off becoming a sexual slave while coping with the lie Ashur told him about Barca's abandonment of him.
Lucrece

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:57 am UTC

Why do the creators hate history :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Reborn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

Ep 9:
Spoiler:
WHOHOHOHOOH Ilithyia! Right now i am quite as shocked as she is.
Shhh. My common sense is tingling.
Reborn

Postby Lucrece » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Ilithya may have scary psychotic breaks, but what stole the episode was Lucretia.

The wigless headwrap tantrum and the creepy exchange at the end puts Batiatus to shame.

The prepping up for erotic Spartacus was hilarious, though. What was that, the Oscars season in Rome? :lol:
Lucrece

Postby Habz » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:12 am UTC

I have to say I haven't been entertained like this for some time by a TV-series. Just watched the season finale and was left craving for more.

Also, a great motivator while preparing for gym :)

*Oh bollocks... The actor playing Spartacus, Andy Whitfield, has been diagnosed with cancer quite recently. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/0 ... 92201.html
Habz

Postby Habz » Thu May 13, 2010 9:47 am UTC

Apparently, a six-part prequel to "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" is in the making.

WorstPreviews wrote:Andy Whitfield, who played the title character in the series, will appear in the prequel briefly, but Lucy Lawless and John Hannah take center stage in this story of the rise of the House of Batiatus and its champions before Spartacus arrives as a captured Thracian slave.
Habz

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Spartacus was just forced to kill Varro making for a fantastic two episode set of favors within favors within favors. I dig the hell out of this show.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Lucrece » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Gods of The Arena (The prequel) was equally as good. Even sadder than Blood and Sand though (*shakes fist at Steven DeKnight*).

I really hope Lyam McIntyre will be able to fill in the shoes as the new Spartacus. Poor Andy Whitfield, out of all people in the world he ended up having to fight non-Hodgkins lymphoma.
Lucrece

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Andy was a pretty studly, but I didn't think he was a particularly good actor. Too much pausing for dramatic effect while clenching of jaw muscles.

This show is fantastic motivation to hit another rep at the gym.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Lucrece » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

Starz has a YouTube channel displaying gladiator camp for actors to get in shape in (some women even signed up for it as well). It looks brutal XD.

By far my favorite character is Lucretia. And Gods of The Arena just made her shine. I love Illythia as well.

I'm still traumatized over seeing Xena's tits and dalliances with Crixus (Lucy Lawless is so pretty though considering her age). All my childhood memories have been shattered :lol:
Lucrece

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

John Hannah rocks my world, him and Lucy Lawless are spectacular together. Really fucking amazing. I'm watching the finale now.

They have some of the most mind bendingly confusing and awe inspiring interactions with one another and the myriad of slaves that service their various needs.

Varro's wife, Aurelia I think was her name? Hot.
I find it really curious (in a good way) that that the extremely liberal sex views portrayed in this series.

Re: Finale; Fucking shit! That was one fucking awesome slow mo massacre. Mark of a good series that everyone has an cause worth a bit of empathy.
Spoiler:
Oh well. All dead. The Gods favor House Battiatus indeed.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Lucrece » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 am UTC

Aurelia was awesome in her time for vindication.
Spoiler:
This show has a way about making us wish grisly deaths on spoiled brats; and it was immensely satisfying seeing her skewer that little pondscum.

11 long damn months till it comes back!

Oh, and wait till you catch Lucretia on Gods of The Arena and Batiatus's father (their encounter). It's. DIVINE.
Lucrece

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 am UTC

I'm not done with the first episode of Gods of the Arena, but Lucrece, I had to say;

FUCKING BLINDFOLDED!!!! FUCKING FUCKFUCK!
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Lucrece » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:12 am UTC

Lucrece

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:07 am UTC

I didn't think this warranted a new thread just for Vengeance, since there was some talk about Gods of the Arena here anyway.

Anyone watching Spartacus: Vengeance? It's just started again, on episode two now, and has a new actor for Spartacus.
Phoenix112358

Postby Lucrece » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

Damn, I love Lucretia. She needs to get Glabert (even though he's fine as hell) and Illythia good. I hate Ashur -- he needs to die the most gruesome death to happen on the show yet.
Lucrece

Return to Movies and TV Shows