Noob Drinks

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PumpkinKing

Re: Noob Drinks

Postby PumpkinKing » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:53 am UTC

Chick drinks are pre mixed beverages. Essentially any kind of sweet tasting, fizzy carbonated beverage that has an alcohol content similar to beer (4-7%).

Flying Betty

Postby Flying Betty » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:15 am UTC

Hard cider. If you can't get past the taste of more "serious" seeming drinks and don't want people to htink you're in high school when you're 25, order a Woodchuck or a Hornsby's. Trust me. (That scenario has happened, btw)
Belial wrote:The future is here, and it is cyberpunk as hell.

Nowhere Guy

Postby Nowhere Guy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 am UTC

I'd say "Noob Drinks" is a far more appropriate term than "Chick Drinks" since experienced drinkers, men and women alike, tend to go for harder stuff. Personally, I'd classify most alcopops and certain exceptionally sweet cocktails as "Noob Drinks" since they're tailored to inexperienced drinkers who do not yet appreciate the feel of hard liquor or even a standard lager or ale. The newer, fruitier versions of Mike's Hard Lemonade and Appletinis are the first that come to mind for me.

I've generally been drawn to beer and sake, which can send you down an interesting road when mixed. There are few things I enjoy more than a sake bomb into Asahi super dry, but few things I hate more than the morning after drinking them.

Accipiter

Postby Accipiter » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Is Milk 43 a noob drink (1 part licor 43 3 parts milk. only has 31/4=7,75% alcohol). I wouldn't call it sweet but it hardly tastes alcoholic.
Anyway what is the noob drink which the most alcohol? I don't particularly like the taste of alcohol but if I don't get drunk from it I could just drink something normal.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Accipiter wrote:Is Milk 43 a noob drink (1 part licor 43 3 parts milk. only has 31/4=7,75% alcohol). I wouldn't call it sweet but it hardly tastes alcoholic.
Anyway what is the noob drink which the most alcohol? I don't particularly like the taste of alcohol but if I don't get drunk from it I could just drink something normal.

Schnapps. Any sort of schnapps. But most especially the fruit flavored ones.
I'm addicted to bad ideas, and all the beauty in this world.

SirHoundalot

Postby SirHoundalot » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 pm UTC

I've been going off lagers recently, and mostly drinking ciders such as Thatcher's and Weston's Stowford Press.

As far as beers go though - Leffe Blond s one of the finest beverages in existence.

I can't say I've drunk much in the US (last time I was there I was still under 21) but I get the impression that few European brands make it over there?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

It depends what you mean. Newcastle, Stella Artois and Heineken are all easy to find. Bulk/warehouse style liquor stores usually have a section for imports with plenty of European brews, particularly from Germany and Belgium. Smaller liquor stores, it really depends on the owner and the community; but I can't remember one that didn't at least have the three I mentioned above, and most will have more. As for cider, Magners and Strongbow are pretty widespread in my experience, though there are also a lot of liquor stores that don't bother stocking cider at all.

As far as microbrews, obviously they're less common outside of their home region.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:32 am UTC

BTW, I went to Germany and discovered that tasty beers do exist.
Vi verborum omnia superabo

podbaydoor

Postby podbaydoor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 am UTC

Bacardi Raz and buffalo wings. I have too much loyalty to Mike's Hard Lemonade to declare the Bacardi Raz a supplanter in my affections, but I commend our cute waiter for coming up with an excellent substitute when they didn't have MHL.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:14 am UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:BTW, I went to Germany and discovered that tasty beers do exist.

You probably didn't have to go all the way to Germany to discover that. They do sell imports in the U.S. :p

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 am UTC

KallistiEngel wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:BTW, I went to Germany and discovered that tasty beers do exist.

You probably didn't have to go all the way to Germany to discover that. They do sell imports in the U.S. :p

I was in Germany and it was my first chance to legally drink.
Vi verborum omnia superabo

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:34 am UTC

the_phoenix612 wrote:
KallistiEngel wrote:

I was in Germany and it was my first chance to legally drink.

I figured as much. I'm just playing around because it keeps me amused.

Rinsaikeru
Pawn, soon to be a Queen

Postby Rinsaikeru » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:06 pm UTC

Noob drink that'll get you absolutely sloshed:

2 Parts Godiva Liqueur, 1 Part Vodka
Shake on ice and rim martini glass with chocolate shavings.

Tastes really good, has no mixer so is pretty potent. Mmm.
Rice Puddin.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:31 pm UTC

Personally, when I drink, which is seldom, I really enjoy straight whiskey. The closest story I have related to noob drinks is one my mom told me of trashcan punch she made.

It involved Hi-C fruit punch, a 20 gallon trashcan, everclear, and other stuff I can't remember right now.. Apparently people were not aware of the alcohol content, and got plastered fast.
418 I'm a teapot

KallistiEngel

Postby KallistiEngel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Noob drink that'll get you absolutely sloshed:

Sounds very similar to a Brandy Alexander

netcrusher88

Postby netcrusher88 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

I'm not entirely convinced "sweet" is the criteria for a noob drink. I present as evidence the recipe for Pitcher 'O Booze, an invention of a friend of mine.
Best served chilled and over ice. Mix 2 parts each of the following: Vodka (preferably 100 Proof), Peach Schnapps, Dark Rum, Orange Juice, and Cranberry Juice. Stir, and drink. Add a splash (a hearty splash if you're awesome) of Absolut Vanilla for an extra smooth kick to your cup.
Not recommended for noobs, it just tastes too damn good. I drank about a pint of this (among other things) the first time I drank heavily and it did not end well.
Sexothermic
I have only ever made one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. -Voltaire
They said we would never have a black president until Swine Flu. -Gears

the tree

Postby the tree » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

Flying Betty wrote:Hard cider. If you can't get past the taste of more "serious" seeming drinks and don't want people to htink you're in high school when you're 25, order a Woodchuck or a Hornsby's. Trust me. (That scenario has happened, btw)
But... cider makes up a large proportion of what I drank during high school. Not that there's anything wrong with drinking the same thing for a large part of your life - I just like larger.

Underage drinking is bad.

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

A friend of mine told me once that unless you're talking about straight whiskey, preferably on fire, that you're probably describing a chick drink.

I can live with that. *sips a bay breeze*
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

El Spark wrote:A friend of mine told me once that if you're talking about straight whiskey on fire, then you're a jackass.

El Spark

Postby El Spark » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:31 pm UTC

Well, that's true too. I watched a guy burn his lips and nose trying to drink that once, on a bet from the group he was with. I'm sure he felt quite manly.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:49 pm UTC

I generally drink Fresca/Squirt and Sailor Jerry. I know most people think the Sailor is a bad bad man, but I like the unique flavors in the drink combined with the citrus.

In terms of beer, I generally don't drink a ton, but we have a lot of local brewerys here in Billings, so when I do it's generally a local wheat beer, or a local heffeweizen. I don't mind drinking Bud Light if I'm playing pong or just screweing around with buddies, but if I'm drinking for taste and not to get sloshed, then nothing beats wheat beer.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:I know most people think the Sailor is a bad bad man...
Really? Everyone I've met/heard/read/drunk who knows a damn about anything alcohol related typically thinks that Sailor Jerry is the only reason anyone would ever use spiced rum for anything at all.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

Sailor took Feburary of 2007 from me, and it's really the only alcohol that causes me to black out. That's more of what I was refering to.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

tropetastic

Postby tropetastic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Wow for people recommending Guiness, don't you think that's a bit heavy for a noob beer? It's still a decent place to start though, for anyone looking to go down that road. I personally started with really crappy American macro brewed beer, which I think has allowed me to really appreciate all the good beers out there while not being a total snob about it (refusing a Coors Light someone buys me at a bar is a pretty dick move, imho. I'll even still drink PBR or Keystone for beer pong and at parties).

Also, I don't think a lot of people have mentioned that many "chicks" don't drink beer because many mixed drinks contain less calories per how drunk you want to get. It takes a lot of games of beer pong for me to even get tipsy, nevermind drunk, whereas I can have two long islands and be good for a few hours. Also, umbrellas are cool.

Anyway, for noobs, I'd say amaretto sours are a pretty good bet. Low alcohol content, tasty, usually not too pricey to make/get at a bar. I also really like introducing people to Wild Blue, which is a delicious blueberry lager, because it's easy to drink, unique, and not too expensive. I don't know a lot of people that don't like that beer. I personally, prefer whiskey sours or seven and sevens (Seagram's 7 and 7-up).

People are getting pretty riled up about how sexist the term "chick drinks" may or may not be. I know a lot of my friends don't find it offensive, but I can also kind of see the opposing argument. Randomly labeling things as misogynist is a little dangerous though, as misogyny implies an active hatred/contempt of women, and I don't think "chick drinks" really falls into that category. Yes, the term is problematic, but I also think we can be too sensitive. (By the way, a lot of women choose to drink hot pink martinis because it makes them feel more feminine, or because they like the taste, or wanna be more like SJP, or whatever. There are a lot of cultural stereotypes and meanings associated with ALL types of alcohol. We can't just ignore that.)

BUT I really don't think that phrase can/should be replaced with "noob" drinks either, especially offline. Many people choose to drink noob drinks way after they started drinking, and as we can see from this thread, everyone has a different opinion of what a noob drink is.

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

Rinsaikeru wrote:Noob drink that'll get you absolutely sloshed:

A similar one (my new favorite, a new take on a White Russian):

1 part French Vanilla Kaluha (regular Kaluha works too, I prefer French Vanilla)
2 parts Triple Espresso flavored Vodka
3 parts Chocolate Milk

Serve on ice in a highball glass.

This post had objectionable content.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Sat May 01, 2010 6:45 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ahhh what is that I don't even
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

Return to “Food”