Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gidske

Re: Text Based MMO's (MUDS!)

Postby Gidske » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:17 am UTC

As you mentioned, DragonRealm's is in the grip of HyperInflation....but that is just a symptom of the larger issue with it. Which is - it utlizies 'volunteers' to keep it's massive world and complex system working, usually members from it's player base. This has left many projects unfinished for years as the new guy can't or won't decipher the old system that was being developed, but instead begins work on his own 'thing', leaving broken issues left untended and forgotten (except by the bitter players). I played DR from 1996 to 2006, and I finally said ENOUGH. I am now a part time player of World of Warcraft...not as complex but...

Besides the hyperinflation, you have no skill caps on anything yet no coherent way to deal with skills in the 500s or 1000s, while the players reach those heights and the development teams continue to fall behind, making DR constantly have to rewrite the rules and basically history, changing how things work less here, more there, but enraging the customer base who may have spent months or even years focused on being exceptionally good at something(s) to be told it now works like this instead.

I could go on....needless to say, I put in a lot of my life to DragonRealms...but after 2000, the game system became increasingly burdened, the development stagnant, the economy collapsed, and like many of my other friends who'd left already, I had to bid it farewell.

What you have left in DR these days, are just ghosts left over remembering past glory days, kept there more by their long term friendships with other desperate players and message board junkys, hoping....

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:53 am UTC

I played on a small one called Lunar Eclipse for a very long time -- over a decade, until the place went down earlier this year. Also a very brief stint on a Discworld MUD and some other MUD I can't remember.

In recent years I've leaned more towards the non-combat-oriented cooperative-storytelling type roleplaying, on MUCKs/MOOs etc.

I was in the middle of starting a roleplaying MOO of my own when my coder flaked on me, though. Now I have a shiny server and a sad neglected MOO with one room and no code. MAYBE SOME DAY. (Once I learn MOO code.)
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:26 am UTC

@Gidske:

I don't really disagree with you on any point persay, but I derive a great deal of satisfaction from watching my character grow. I recently picked up an uber-highlevel spell for my moon mage (Invocation of Energy), and felt the ennui settling in when I realized how long it'd be before he has another milestone (He's 57th circle now, and won't hit another real milestone until 100th).

That said, I firmly believe the point of the game is cooperative storytelling, and I like the man I rp. part of who he is, is being weaker then a few of his friends, so ya, he could train ad nauseum and buff out and be an uber pvp'er, but that's not what I want to do. I treat DR as an elaborate chatroom, with a good framework of lore and scenery, and the best mechanics I've seen in place for any rpg. Any.

Will I get my guys to circle 150, and max out all their skills? Of course not. Will I keep playing with my friends until I get bored and take another break? Probably.

WoW isn't even similar to DR. DR is like playing dungeons and dragons but not having a human interpret your wishes, having the most advanced interface available instead. I play Eve and have dabbled in a few other MMOs, and the point in those is to obviously be the biggest and the best. A handful of the 'biggest and best' players have already been boo'd out of DR because they sucked at RPing.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

I'd say the one thing I miss the most about DR (and MUDs in general) is the atmosphere and community. People actually played a role with their character. No one (usually) ever talked about what was on TV last night or other games they were playing, and if they did you could either thump them (which caused them to be unable to talk for a time if you were 20 levels higher than them) or report them and they would actually disappear because a GM cared enough to act and look into it.

If a company actually forced people to be in-character in the general chat channels on their RP servers and not just have relatively decent names (I'm looking at you, Mythic), I'd probably stay longer than a month or two. Even just a single ultra-RP server that really is policed most of the time would be nice.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Well theres no reason to RP anything in WoW or Eve or any of those other games, because you are watching the world happen to an avatar, as opposed to sitting behind the eyes of your avatar. Even first person perspective games like Fallout and Bioshock don't have RP elements.

In DR, lately, I've found a nice group of people who care about the way their characters respond to things, and have had more fun storytelling with them then I have had in the last 10 years of figuring out methods for maximizing xp gain. Anyone can plug a script and do that repetitive bullshit, the real fun is had in remembering that it's all a story and we're all telling it. If you just want to chase levels, you've picked the wrong game to do it in.

Ya know?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jasiel

Postby Jasiel » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Right now, in Middle School, I play MUD's all the time.

One of my favorites are the ones by Iron Realms Entertainment. The MUD's are immersive, and it's player-run, so anything a player does could affect others and maybe even the entire world.

Descriptive details, immersive world...it's like a book, 'cept better.
SCIENCE.
"It works, bitches."

Gidske

Postby Gidske » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Izawwlgood

I've always viewed DR as an elaborate chat room myself that you can hang out with friends and have fun with. I didn't mean to compare it to DR. DragonRealms is by far a more diverse, imaginative and complex world. I just no longer had that close association with other players anymore, as those I'd circled with from my early days, over time slowly had 'disappeared' for a variety of reasons (worst is meeting a friend who has sold his character off, and seeing their 'name', but they aren't them anymore, as somebody else now controls them).

WOW was not created to be an RP platform though, no matter what some deluded souls say in opposition to that.

But for me, WOW is just easy in it's simplistic nature, and that is appealing for me at the moment. It is like a one night stand, over and over again, without any strings attached...lol

There is some who say that RPing can't be accomplished in a graphic interface type world. I have to agree with that. There is something that is much more personal when you have the world you are viewing in your mind's eye vs. the software Telling you what you see. I don't know anyway of 'fixing' that, if it even needs to be fixed. Probably not based on majority opinion, if you take subscription rates as a sign of folks opinions on what they want, anyways.

As long as people don't demand much more than easy choices in their online games, I don't see companys changing this format.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:08 am UTC

Gidske wrote:There is some who say that RPing can't be accomplished in a graphic interface type world. I have to agree with that. There is something that is much more personal when you have the world you are viewing in your mind's eye vs. the software Telling you what you see. I don't know anyway of 'fixing' that, if it even needs to be fixed. Probably not based on majority opinion, if you take subscription rates as a sign of folks opinions on what they want, anyways.

The fact that I have several years of RPing behind me and more to go in City of Heroes isn't an opinion, it's a pretty solid fact! =P

Just sayin'. Those who say RPing can't be accomplished in a graphic interface have been proven wrong.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Ralith

Dragonrealms and Gemstone

Postby Ralith » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 am UTC

Dragonrealms and Gemstone - Has anyone played either of these games? I am curious to know.

Merg'd with existing topic.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

Ralith

Postby Ralith » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:24 am UTC

If anyone plays Dragonrealms Plat.. well, the name's not my oldest character, but it's currently my most played. Barb who wants to dance. I also have a naphtha guzzler/sky starer.
I also play in prime and the fallen, but on different names.
Uthrin in TF.
Itala, Ewood, in prime.
I am a 14 year old who types at 60 words per minute and can read at a post-college level.
Please view my articles!
http://www.triond.com/users/ralith

Mishrak

MUDs - Who else plays 'em?

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

(Sorry if there's another thread/topic on this, I couldn't find one.)

I know I'm not the only one.

Who else?
Which one(s) and what type (RP/PK/etc)?
What's it like?
Who's never heard of a MUD?

Despite all the amazing graphical interfaces and worlds that are created by the giant companies of MMOs, I always find myself coming back to text based MUDs. I know I'm not alone. This is an attempt to find someone else who does the same.

I've played various assortments of PK muds, dystopia/Godwars, some custom ones usually based off the Godwars code. My first MUD was an Anime RP/PK mud called Animud which has been dead (and is now offline) for quite sometime. I've been playing a PK one recently though that's really a lot of fun, has a good developer, and a growing pbase.

I've found it difficult to track down good ones that actually have people playing, outside of a handful of really big ones. I know about the TMC and TMS websites also. I've always found the best MUDs through word of mouth.

I'll wait till the thread actually gets going before I give out any specifics as to which MUDs I play so I don't run the risk of sounding like I just want to advertise.

Shadic

Re: MUDs - Who else plays 'em?

Postby Shadic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:48 am UTC

I play <a href="http://nightmist.co.uk/nmsite/">Nightmist</a> from time to time.

It's easily the best one I've found - A great deal of that is because it has its own client. Makes things must friendlier to use.

Sir-Taco

Postby Sir-Taco » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 am UTC

I play Fed II and Aardwolf, the first is a mix of pretty much everything fantasy and sci fi, Aardwolf is your 'standard' MUD and has a decent player base. I don't know why I keep going back to them, Nethack (even if its not a MUD, but is a rougelike). Maybe I'm just a whore for minimalism.
The world is a cold and dark place, so start fire.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:27 am UTC

I have been immersed in two in my life. The first one was actually written by my uncle, and so never really published. I know it was awesome ridiculous, fighting rat-men and restoring your health with Chinese food and Twinkies.

The second one is RetroMUD, basically an amazingly-large fantasy game, spanning several planets. I guess you can afford to be immense when you have no graphics :)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Thanks mods for merging this in the right spot. I guess I just needed to look back further for the thread.

I play a custom code base called Static Chaos.

It's an old codebase that's been around for a number of years, originally designed by a crazy guy who had some of the most horribly structured code you can imagine yet he created arguably the most balanced PK game I have ever played. That includes all the modern pvp MMOs (DAOC, Shadowbane[defunct], EVE Online, etc).

Recently (3+ months) it's been resurrected by a former player turned developer named Dekkum who's really made the game a lot more fun to play. He's lowered the barrier to entry a bit by speeding up the EXP process, and twerked some of the classes to bring them more in line with the other ones. So basically all of the 5 classes are viable and really fun to play.

A bit of twich play involved, because a 1v1 fight can last a few minutes, but I've never seen anything like it anywhere else. The pbase has been growing steadily and the development has been moving forward in a big way. If you like PK muds, it's worth checking out. I highly recommend using a mud client though (Zmud).

I'll have to check out Nightmist. Also I've seen Aardwolf/RetroMUD on websites, etc. but never really checked them out. Those have been around awhile haven't they?

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

I used to play Shimlar back in high school. It influenced my interest in writing a lot, but looking back at it I can see that it was a pretty terrible game with a pretty terrible player-base.
There was a few good players that I was friends with for a while, but for every good player there were ten people named 777Vegita777 and whatnot.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

I've played my share of muds with DBZ wannabes who rp a big game but really it means nothing. I prefer the pk MUDs where you have to back up your talk with ability or you're just laughed at.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

I have posted this in the past.
But I was there for Toril and Duris mud. 200+ players at peak hours, tons of zones, eq, classes, races etc.

Duris consumed a few years of my life. But as another poster said, there has never been a game that did such a great job at PvP. Also no game has ever brought on that level of adrenaline.
One minute your killing a frost giant lord of his might 2 handed axe next thing you know:

An Ogre enters from the west.
A Troll enters from the west.
A Troll enters from the west.
An Orc enters from the west.
A Drow enters from the west.
A Drow enters from the west.

A Drow begins casting a spell.
An Orc begins casting a spell.
A Troll Bashes Ixtellor to the ground.
An Ogre viciously mauls Ixtellor.
An Orc BACKSTABS Ixtellor.

The adrenaline dump you feel at that moment... priceless.

What made it more 'emotional' was full kill/full loot. You die, you lose everything you had on.

I could type 10,000 pages on Duris and Toril. Most amazing game bar none, I have every played. If it had the same kind of player base, I would still be there today playing muds.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

That's pretty crazy. I've tinkered with Toril a little bit here and there because I've heard good things about it, but I've never actually played it for very long, mostly because of the long creation process and not having a clue what to do really. It's always helpful to know someone who's played the game before to help ease your learning curve a bit.

[edit]
Read your first post. When I get some fight logs, I'll post them here.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Found a boring battle log, can't find any of the old epic 12 v 12 fights.
Also this player has brief mode turned on, so instead of seeing every attack, you get an abbreviated version. But 3 years of my life were dedicated to something like below.

< 780h/780H 159v/165V Pos: standing >
South Side of the Wagon Camp
Obvious exits: -E -W
Fresh blood splatters cover the area.
[4] The corpse of a team of horses is lying here.
A very young Cimmerian toddles about the camp here.
The lich of Aevenyl stands here.(Red Aura)
*The wraith of Svivel stands here.(Red Aura)
*The wraith of Aevenyl stands here.(Red Aura)
*A Halfling (small) stands in mid-air here.
*A Halfling (small) _Ascension_ stands in mid-air here.
*A Human (medium) stands in mid-air here.(Red Aura)
Dravin enters from the east.

< 780h/780H 158v/165V Pos: standing >
You slide into the shadows quickly...

You snap into visibility.
A Human snaps into visibility.
A Human makes a strange sound as you place Tiamat's poison tail stinger in his back.
A Human makes a strange sound as you place a MaDMaNs stabber in his back.

< T: an orog berserker TP: sta TC:excellent E: A Human sta EP: pretty hurt >
A faint hum can be heard from the legendary platemail of defense you are carrying.

A Halfling sings a song to protect him from the world.

The wraith of Svivel suddenly attacks YOU!
The wraith of Svivel snaps into visibility.

A Halfling leaves west.

The wraith of Aevenyl suddenly attacks YOU!
The wraith of Aevenyl snaps into visibility.
You snap into visibility.
-=[A Human attacks you.]=- [0 hits]

< 779h/780H 159v/165V Pos: standing >
< T: an orog berserker TP: sta TC:few scratches E: A Human sta EP: pretty hurt >
Your Tiamat's poison tail stinger lashes out in a blur of speed at A Human.
A Human shivers slightly.
Your Tiamat's poison tail stinger lashes out in a blur of speed at A Human.
-=[You attack A Human.]=- [4 hits]

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

I can totally relate. I spent years playing an anime rp/pk mud that would undergo a pwipe about once or twice a year. I played that for a good 4 years before I played anything else. I continued playing it off and on until it shut down for good after about a 9 year run.

I've only played, regularly, a handful of custom muds ever, but usually those are played for very long periods of time and I always wind up returning to them. I'm glad one is still standing.

I wouldn't mind trying Toril again or Duris at some point. They both sound pretty interesting.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

I play Dragonrealms occasionally, because it's an AWESOME place to roleplay and a not-bad game itself.
I tried discworld, bit too meh for me.
A few minor ones I've tried.

I also, LONG ago in the dark abyss of my memory have tried to play some single player text games. I don't remember any of them and I lost the disc that had them (1001 Games!)
Omni.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

My Necromancer is close to learning Spiteful Rebirth. In short, this means when I raise my first few zombies, and the Immortals smite me, I can DEPART DEATH and instead of getting smacked with a penalty and a flowery message about floating on the seas of eternity before washing up on the shore of Plane of Abiding, I instead watch as my mutilated corpse grows new tissue, it's heart starts pumping, and shakily, angrily, I rise to my feet, my hand already clutched in vengence at those petty Immortals that dared lay their mark upon me!

Forealz, this game is awesome.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:@Gidske:

I don't really disagree with you on any point persay, but I derive a great deal of satisfaction from watching my character grow. I recently picked up an uber-highlevel spell for my moon mage (Invocation of Energy), and felt the ennui settling in when I realized how long it'd be before he has another milestone (He's 57th circle now, and won't hit another real milestone until 100th).

That said, I firmly believe the point of the game is cooperative storytelling, and I like the man I rp. part of who he is, is being weaker then a few of his friends, so ya, he could train ad nauseum and buff out and be an uber pvp'er, but that's not what I want to do. I treat DR as an elaborate chatroom, with a good framework of lore and scenery, and the best mechanics I've seen in place for any rpg. Any.

Will I get my guys to circle 150, and max out all their skills? Of course not. Will I keep playing with my friends until I get bored and take another break? Probably.

WoW isn't even similar to DR. DR is like playing dungeons and dragons but not having a human interpret your wishes, having the most advanced interface available instead. I play Eve and have dabbled in a few other MMOs, and the point in those is to obviously be the biggest and the best. A handful of the 'biggest and best' players have already been boo'd out of DR because they sucked at RPing.

This.

And to he with two posts who said the flaw is that the GMs are all volunteers, they are going back, and taking these half completed projects and completing or deleting them, and taking the out dated things (except the book system) and working on getting them updated, if only so the game's more polished for the FB version.
Omni.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

Good RP is hard to do well. I played, briefly, a mud called Shadows of Isildur and it's pure RP. There's some killing and pvp, but it's a huge community of players that RP within the context of LoTR. And no not pop culture "I AM ARAGORN" RP, but merchants, black market dealers, employers/ees, servants, etc., within the context of the LoTR world. It's a pretty intense place. It just didn't match my playstyle.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

Lots of DR talk!! I have a friend who played, but I never got into it. His name was Iorweth.

As for MUDs I've played, they've all been low key, low pop ones. Cybermyst and Tharsis Gate are the only two I remember. I got a lifetime ban from TG though because of my macroing, heh.

Actually, my buddy and I (the guy who played DR) just got back into Asheron's Call (we play DT, and DT only). I was surprised how many ppl remember me lol. That's the thing about these hardcore PvP games... people actually become something that other people talk about. In WoW and the majority of the newer MMO"RPG"s, no one ever means anything...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Xaddak and a few others have talked about the RP in CoH, but aside from that, I think actual RPing in modern RPG's is nil. I'd call them all strategy games, or immersive co-op strategy games... But 'role playing' is not something I'd attribute to just about every game out there. Whereas, in DR, if someone says "i need 4 more levels evasion, sum1 teach it pls kthnx" in a public setting, they're likely to get thumped (which prevents them from speaking for about 30 minutes).

There are RP corps in Eve, but it's not like "Yar, those heathen Minmatar dogs must learn some respect!" it's like "I play an Amarr corp and pvp against a Minmatar corp".

tl;dr?
Play DR. It's awesome.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

The last time I remember genuine roleplay in an MMO was in 2000/2001 when, while playing Everquest there was a troll warrior named Krakskull who would talk in a hysterical manner as troll might talk, and he was into it. It was really fun to engage him in a conversation.

I was in a Holder alliance in Providence and flew with a lot of CVA guys in EVE (arguably the biggest "roleplaying" alliance in EVE) and generally outside of some Amarr only operations, there wasn't a lot of roleplaying going on.

MUDs are one of the last bastions of roleplaying out there, besides table top games and doing stuff IRL. Maybe it has something to do with the text that forces you to use your imagination, rather than have the rendered images define what you can be. Having said that, I've never really been able to get into it much either. I just enjoy pvping, developing them and building areas for them.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

From my experience there has been one fundamental problem with Role Play in games like this. That's that everyone wants to be the hero.
Too many chefs etc etc.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm UTC

In games like WoW, Eve, CoH, that's definitely true. But because the only customization you can have is perhaps how you are specced, and then you're just another Night Elf avatar with some decent armor, there's nothing to make BubblesMcAwesomePants appear any different from LordNyteReaperDoomBringer. This is true in Eve too (hell, more so); I've disabled names from my overview, because the only thing really relevant is ship type, distance, my FC's tag, and it's transversal.

In Dragonrealms, you identify people by their name. If I walk into a room and see Eladrin, Caelumia, Saemus and CuntBuRGor, you can guess who I'm going to ignore. You can bet that a level 20 Barbarian is likely wearing different armor, different fluff, has a different appearance, and has trained different skills, then another level 20 Barbarian, and you can bet they aren't both babbling the same backstory or RPing the same personality. DR without the RP is pretty dull; WoW, Eve, etc, is still pretty fun.

Also, in WoW, emotes are pretty basic. In DR, I've met a couple of mute characters who communicated really swell backstories. Eve I think is actually the worst, since it's just ships (no customization of your character) and 'RP' is just a splash page where you can write anything you want. I have a list of bands I like and some useful information like order of gun strength on mine.

To anyone who enjoys RP, and hasn't tried a good game for it, I can't recommend Dragonrealms enough. It's got a HUGE amount of lore and a really dedicated player base and very creative designers.

EDIT: Although, to be fair, 90% of the RPing you see starts with "Well, when I was a kid my parents..."

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:In Dragonrealms, you identify people by their name. If I walk into a room and see Eladrin, Caelumia, Saemus and CuntBuRGor, you can guess who I'm going to ignore. You can bet that a level 20 Barbarian is likely wearing different armor, different fluff, has a different appearance, and has trained different skills, then another level 20 Barbarian, and you can bet they aren't both babbling the same backstory or RPing the same personality. DR without the RP is pretty dull; WoW, Eve, etc, is still pretty fun.

That's exactly what I was saying about Asheron's Call DT. When someone talks about WoW, they talk about instances, gear, latest content, etc. When someone talks about DT, they talk about fights, politics, monarchies... all of it built up by players.

An interesting dichotomy though... DTers hate RPers... but if you think about it, because of the grudges and politics introduced through years of harsh PvP, there's more roleplaying in that game than most others....

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

How complicated/easy/difficult is it to jump into DR and tool around? There a pretty stiff learning curve?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

I'd say the hardest thing to become familiar with is the interface, as there's probably a very small population of gamers who played MUDs. If you've ever played a MUD, DR would be about as difficult to pick up as it would be to pick up, say, BioShock after playing AvP. The controls are there, it's just a matter of figuring out which item/place/skill does what, and there's a really well maintained wikion it.

There's also a number of ways new players have the game explained, since it's been around for 20+ years, they've pretty much got the new player experience handled. There are also a few IC and OOC organizations for the purpose of helping newbies.

If you check it out, let me know, I'd be happy to help you get involved.

Another thing I like about DR, is as community oriented as it is, which means there are cliques and the like, most older players 'adopt', routinely, younger players to help them IC and OOC. It's not uncommon for a genuine newbie or low circle individual to be RPing it up around a guild with one of the higher circle characters, or one of the more 'connected' characters. About a year ago my character was very close with one of the more politically active characters, and I got to run around with her on various 'errands of the state' or whatever she was into at the time. Our fallout was IC.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Yeah I'll take a look at it at least. I always like checking out new muds. I'm curious what type of codebase it is, among other things. No idea how involved I'll get, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Yeah I'll take a look at it at least. I always like checking out new muds. I'm curious what type of codebase it is, among other things. No idea how involved I'll get, but I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Completely (or close to it) custom. They call it the "Interactive Fiction Engine".

You know what one of the strange things about DR is? If I made a new, young adult character now, he would have been born when I was playing my older characters. At 4 in-game years per real-life year, anyone that's been playing since the game launched in 1996 has seen 56 years pass by in the game. Along those same lines, I'm a little miffed that you can now choose your age during character creation, as my former main was one of the oldest Kaldaran PCs and wore it as a badge of pride.

I just quit WoW a couple of weeks ago. I realized that any game that bills itself as an MMORPG actually needs a strong roleplaying community to keep me around. That includes an enforceable environment conductive to roleplaying. Blizzard's not going to be kicking anyone from an RP server for being disruptive in the middle of an event other players are trying to run. Also, there's no chance whatsoever that a GM is randomly going to pop in and start something themselves.

All this nostalgia makes me want to play again.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 am UTC

The age thing is funny, as it's merely a descriptor. "He appears old for an Elf"
Considering Empath's have the ability to change your appearance, age weirdness is a fairly insignificant side effect of a game that's simply ran for a very very long time.

Indeed, since a rather large portion of the game is in fighting critters, and people have been training combat characters since the mid 90's, a number of 150th circle (max) characters exist who have trained a dozen weapons to the 1000 rank level. For reference, my Moon Mage, at circle 73, the most magic primary guild of the three magic primary guilds, has 450 some ranks of Primary Magic. The game definitely has room for LOTS of advancement. But still, the point of the game isn't really a rush to the end game.

My biggest complaint about DR is how most of your advancement happens solo; there's no real point to training with anyone, and there's no such thing as large raids or instances of the like. Invasions which are typically higher combat range, will need a handful of people to keep monster levels down, but never really 'fail'. And typically just sort end when one of a handful max level circle combat oriented guilds come in and kill the 'main' invader.

Not_an_S

Postby Not_an_S » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 am UTC

I'm really too young to actually have played MUDs in their prime, but I used to play one on another forum I went to. It was an open-source MUD edited to have things from the forum in it. That was stopped because of too little interest, but I really loved playing it, despite the fact that most of the time I was the only one on.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:13 am UTC

Gah! This thread got me hooked on the Discworld MUD again.

If you're looking for me, I'm Siklroz. Currently a wizard in the Unseen University. I only started again today, so I'm not a very high level.
This space intentionally left blank.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Lets see some battle logs!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Ah crap! I forgot to save some. I'll put some from my pk mud tonight.

Return to “Gaming”