Apples vs Oranges

Apples
57%
Oranges
43%

Total votes : 256

Apples vs Oranges

Postby LuNatic » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 am UTC

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, everyone who rejects the afore-mentioned categories: Lend thy ears and thy patience, as we settle down to solve an ages-old debate:
Apples.Or.Oranges?

On this day, and in this thread, people have gathered from around the world to draw a long overdue conclusion on which is the is the greatest of the fruits, and the most relevant to the problems the world faces today.

Without any further ado, let me introduce the Apple: Hailing from central Asia and weighing an average of 150 grams, our friend the Apple comes in an astonishing 7500+ cultivars, each with their own flavour. Covered in a nutritious and edible skin, the apple is an abundant source of antioxidants, and a well known repellent to the 'Common Doctor'. Aside from the direct consumption of the raw fruit, Apple is extremely popular in drinks, pies, cakes and other processed foodstuffs. The name of our current champion and crowd favourite is so well known that for hundreds of years almost all foreign fruit were simply referred to as Apples!

On the other side of the debate is our challenger the Orange: A native of south east Asia and weighing approximately 280 grams, The Orange is a much less diverse fruit, only having 4 widely recognised varieties. Sweet yet acidic, the orange is an excellent source of vitamin C. Widely consumed as a juice, the orange is also used as a form of natural flavouring, and it's rind is considered a wonderful treat when candied, or Glacéd.

So there you have it folks; the ultimate question laid out for YOU to decide.

Apples.Or.Oranges?

Apples and oranges are both known to cause cancer in the state of California. Additionally, both fruits come with with small seeds that may pose a choking hazard to children under the age of three. Consume at your own risk. By reading this post and it's fine print, you hereby agree to release the author of any criminal or civic liability in event that eye-strain, cancer, deep-vein thrombosis or mental instability result from the content, text size, grammar or spelling of this post. The author reserves the right to deny any and all involvement in the construction of this post.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.
LuNatic

Re: Apples vs Oranges

Postby Phoenix112358 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Apples have my vote! I love apple juice and apple pies <3 I mean, oranges are spiffing and all, but they're no match for apples!
Phoenix112358

Postby ntietz » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Orange juice > apple juice (I despise apple juice for some reason) and oranges generally taste better than apples, but I picked apples for a few reasons:
  • Convenience: apples do not require any peeling and are more common around here (Ohio).
Ok, I picked it for that one reason. Convenience. It was also the first choice, which was convenient.
ntietz

Postby stephentyrone » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:31 am UTC

I was posting from 17.*.*.* when I answered, so, yeah.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
stephentyrone

Postby phillipsjk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

I think apples because they actually grow in my climate (where it is ~-7 C today).

On the go, not having to peel them is convenient as well.

I had to look up 17.0.0.1 :)
Did you get the number on that truck?
phillipsjk

Postby starfruitinc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Well, oranges come in pre-cut slices, when peeled. Therefore, rationing/splitting it is much easier than an apple, which requires you to have a knife.
Go FOSS! Rants and discussions on Software and Programming
http://guysonfoss.blogspot.com

A Linux holiday:
http://guysonfoss.blogspot.com/2010/12/special-holiday-episode-and-poem.html
starfruitinc

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:59 am UTC

starfruitinc wrote:which requires you to have a knife.

Hardly.

And with that, I leave a vote for Oranges. Orange juice is the better juice (both of which are unable to compete with mango juice).
Amnesiasoft

Postby stephentyrone » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:(both of which are unable to compete with mango juice).

That right there? That's where you lost any and all credibility in this discussion.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.
stephentyrone

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

I picked oranges since, in general, they are tastier. That said, they can get messy easily, while it's pretty hard to make a mess with an apple unless you are specifically trying to, and also apple-derived things (pies) are better than orange-derived ones (ignoring juice).
Endless Mike

Postby LikwidCirkel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Oranges, hands down.

They're more tasty, and also, I'm a little allergic to apples unless they're cooked.

I also consider oranges more convenient, because they don't need to be washed first.
LikwidCirkel

Postby insom » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

Grapefruit.
Normal cynics think they are realists. Hardcore cynics know they are optimists.
Woo I draw stuff - how incredibly awesome
insom

Postby ellx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:13 am UTC

apples ftw! oranges need you to peel them and stuff while apples are mega convenient.
ellx

Postby kernelpanic » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 pm UTC

Wait, you guys peel oranges? Why? I cut them in half, press them to take the juice to my mouth, then eat the inside, like normal people.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

kernelpanic

Postby nazgjunk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

I am SO conflicted.

Orange juice is awesome, apple juice just can't beat it - but to eat I seriously prefer apples. Oranges are always such an unholy mess so peel.

You realize this will keep me from sleeping for a few weeks, right.
"You don't have conversations with microprocessors. You tell them what to do, then helplessly watch the disaster when they take you literally." - David Brin, Startide Rising
nazgjunk

Postby Lazar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm UTC

orange juice > apple juice
apple pie > orange (?) pie

The only winning move is not to play.
When it gets loudly, it gets very loud indeed!
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 am UTC

While orange juice is better than apple juice, apple cider (unfiltered, less processed) is far superior to either. Furthermore, apples grow to be much tastier.

Sadly, both pale in quality to the pawpaw.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!
Meteorswarm

Postby Bryan6446 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:19 am UTC

Is there anyway to make an alcoholic beverage from oranges like cider from apples?
Apples ftw.

Also Mango Lassi (fresh mango pulp and natural yogurt) might be the tastiest desert in the world.
Bryan6446

Postby poxic » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:50 am UTC

Bryan6446 wrote:Is there anyway to make an alcoholic beverage from oranges like cider from apples?

You could leave the orange juice in the fridge for a couple of weeks past its peak. (If you want a tasty alcoholic beverage from it, I don't know of any.)

Also Mango Lassi (fresh mango pulp and natural yogurt) might be the tastiest desert in the world.

A giant "SECONDED" has been painted across the wall behind me. In mango juice, accented with yogurt flecks.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Patriotism is a kind of religion; it is the egg from which wars are hatched.
- Guy de Maupassant, short story writer and novelist (1850-1893)
poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:07 am UTC

One thing to note is that in an apple, you don't really eat the fruit - you eat the swollen pericarp or receptacle, which isn't part of the ovary. Meanwhile, the orange is a hesperidium, a true berry, where you do indeed eat the ovary, the true fruit part.

Unless you're one of those gross people who eats the apple core. Then you get your nasty ovaryness.
Meteorswarm

Postby Lady Freya » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Some Orange based liquers include triple sec, grand marnier and cointreau, although none of those taste particularly nice in my opinion and are usually used in cooking to impart an orange flavour. Oranges are pithy, difficult to peel and when you separate the segments you risk getting citric acid on your clothing and bleaching them a different colour. If you leave orange peel on a plastic surface you will damage it, even if you will make the area smell nice and christmassy. It is so much more difficult to find an orange with the right balance of sweet and bitter than it is to find such an apple. Apples can be eaten on the go with no risk to your attire, can be baked in a range of absolutely delicious recipies involving pastry, can get you falling over drunk as cider, can make you refreshed on a hot day, can be mashed into applesauce, can be combined with cinnamon to make pure heaven, can be cut in half and carved to make printing blocks, can be poisoned to your own evil ends involving a stunning babe and 7 short men or given to your teacher to act out the ultimate cliché.

Basically, Apples are more versatile, taste better and win hands down.
Lady Freya

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 am UTC

Lady Freya wrote:Some Orange based liquers include triple sec, grand marnier and cointreau, although none of those taste particularly nice in my opinion and are usually used in cooking to impart an orange flavour. Oranges are pithy, difficult to peel and when you separate the segments you risk getting citric acid on your clothing and bleaching them a different colour. If you leave orange peel on a plastic surface you will damage it, even if you will make the area smell nice and christmassy. It is so much more difficult to find an orange with the right balance of sweet and bitter than it is to find such an apple. Apples can be eaten on the go with no risk to your attire, can be baked in a range of absolutely delicious recipies involving pastry, can get you falling over drunk as cider, can make you refreshed on a hot day, can be mashed into applesauce, can be combined with cinnamon to make pure heaven, can be cut in half and carved to make printing blocks, can be poisoned to your own evil ends involving a stunning babe and 7 short men or given to your teacher to act out the ultimate cliché.

Why are you dissing triple sec? I know many people who would love to drink some.
Also, oranges have (R)-limonene, which can be converted into (S)-limonene and made into lemon flavor.
Correct me if I got the isomers wrong. I'm trying to remember this from my ochem book which is not in font of me
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Rockberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 am UTC

Love orange juice, hate eating oranges. Don't mind eating apples though, moderately like apple juice.
Rockberry

Postby psychosomaticism » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:44 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Lady Freya wrote:Some Orange based liquers include triple sec, grand marnier and cointreau, although none of those taste particularly nice in my opinion and are usually used in cooking to impart an orange flavour. Oranges are pithy, difficult to peel and when you separate the segments you risk getting citric acid on your clothing and bleaching them a different colour. If you leave orange peel on a plastic surface you will damage it, even if you will make the area smell nice and christmassy. It is so much more difficult to find an orange with the right balance of sweet and bitter than it is to find such an apple. Apples can be eaten on the go with no risk to your attire, can be baked in a range of absolutely delicious recipies involving pastry, can get you falling over drunk as cider, can make you refreshed on a hot day, can be mashed into applesauce, can be combined with cinnamon to make pure heaven, can be cut in half and carved to make printing blocks, can be poisoned to your own evil ends involving a stunning babe and 7 short men or given to your teacher to act out the ultimate cliché.

Why are you dissing triple sec? I know many people who would love to drink some.
Also, oranges have (R)-limonene, which can be converted into (S)-limonene and made into lemon flavor.
Correct me if I got the isomers wrong. I'm trying to remember this from my ochem book which is not in font of me

You are correct, so says Wikipedia.

My vote goes to oranges. Ward off scurvy more effectively, just as easily eaten if one has a knife or if it is the easy-peel mandarin variety. Most importantly, the rind of oranges is a biological protection barrier, making them all the more healthy than apples, which you have to bite directly into and get old-people-who-pick-up-every-apple-in-the-bin-and-look-at-all-angles-for-ten-minutes-before-putting-it-back-covered-with-germs issues.

Although apple cider made me seriously contemplate this one. Damn I love me some cider.
psychosomaticism

Postby hotaru » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:55 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:Most importantly, the rind of oranges is a biological protection barrier, making them all the more healthy than apples, which you have to bite directly into and get old-people-who-pick-up-every-apple-in-the-bin-and-look-at-all-angles-for-ten-minutes-before-putting-it-back-covered-with-germs issues.

you really think oranges aren't covered with germs within seconds of being peeled?
Code: Select all
uint8_t f(uint8_t n)
{ if (!(
n&1)) return 2;
  if (
n==169) return 13; if (n==121||n==143) return 11;
  if (
n==77||n==91) return 7; if (n==3||n==5) return 0;

n=(n>>4)+(n&0xF); n+=n>>4n&=0xF;
  return (
n==3||n==6||n==9||n==12||n==15)?3:(n==5||n==10)?5:0; } 
hotaru

Postby Lady Freya » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

you could peel the apple if you reeeeeeeeeally wanted to...
Lady Freya

Postby psychosomaticism » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

hotaru wrote:
psychosomaticism wrote:Most importantly, the rind of oranges is a biological protection barrier, making them all the more healthy than apples, which you have to bite directly into and get old-people-who-pick-up-every-apple-in-the-bin-and-look-at-all-angles-for-ten-minutes-before-putting-it-back-covered-with-germs issues.

you really think oranges aren't covered with germs within seconds of being peeled?

Only germs from your own hands. The only issue would be the first incision into the rind, which admittedly would cause some contamination of the fruit, but it's a lot better than apples, being waxed makes them pretty hard to clean well. I know the rebuttal would be that the wax would stop bacteria, but some can live on some pretty arid conditions.

And there's another thing - wax. Who wants to eat wax?
psychosomaticism

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 am UTC

psychosomaticism wrote:
hotaru wrote:

Only germs from your own hands. The only issue would be the first incision into the rind, which admittedly would cause some contamination of the fruit, but it's a lot better than apples, being waxed makes them pretty hard to clean well. I know the rebuttal would be that the wax would stop bacteria, but some can live on some pretty arid conditions.

It's an almost non-existent amount of natural wax, produced by the apple. You eat the same thing if you eat lettuce. Wax is not the issue.

Peeling the orange is a hassle, and makes your hands all messy, besides, you never can get all the pith off, and it's bitter and nasty.
Meteorswarm

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:20 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
psychosomaticism wrote:
hotaru wrote:

It's an almost non-existent amount of natural wax, produced by the apple. You eat the same thing if you eat lettuce. Wax is not the issue.

Peeling the orange is a hassle, and makes your hands all messy, besides, you never can get all the pith off, and it's bitter and nasty.

You sure? I was convinced that apple producers added their own wax in order to make the apple more appealing. This calls for investigation.
psychosomaticism

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 am UTC

I think it is the oranges that are coated in wax to keep them from drying out. The peel is edible. but does not taste very good until you remove the wax.

As for bacteria: it is a legitimate concern in that few people take the time to wash their hands after using the bathroom. However, everything has bacteria on it. Most bacteria in food (if the concentration is not excessive) probably gets killed off by bacteria already in your mouth. Bacteria does not really grow on dry surfaces (though it can lay dormant).
Last edited by phillipsjk on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
phillipsjk

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:53 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:I think it is the oranges that are coated in wax to keep them from drying out. The peel is edible. but does not taste very good until you remove the wax.

As for bacteria: is is a legitimate concern in that few people take the time to wash their hands after using the bathroom. However, everything has bacteria on it. Most bacteria in food (if the concentration is not excessive) probably gets killed off by bacteria already in your mouth. Bacteria does not really grow on dry surfaces (though it can lay dormant).

Eh, depends. Some viruses and bacteria can stay alive in dessicated state for quite some time. I realize it doesn't grow where there aren't nutrients, but something like tuberculosis that can form active dried out cells. And yes, most bacteria is pretty harmless, but only because bacteria are pretty specific towards their preferred organism, and we aren't much like apples or oranges.

And besides, aside from putting them in muffins, I've never thought about eating orange peels, so their being waxed doesn't influence the actual fruit.
psychosomaticism

Postby Lady Freya » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

alright so, lets say hypothetically, in a thought experiment type situation, we are in a germ free environment where you won't get tuberculosis from an apple or an orange. Now which one would you prefer? Obviously the apple. It tastes better.
Lady Freya

Postby psychosomaticism » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:11 pm UTC

Lady Freya wrote:alright so, lets say hypothetically, in a thought experiment type situation, we are in a germ free environment where you won't get tuberculosis from an apple or an orange. Now which one would you prefer? Obviously the apple. It tastes better.

Hahaha, yeah, okay, I guess I'm getting a little off track. Just in terms of taste, still orange. :P
psychosomaticism

Postby phillipsjk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

My favorite citrus fruit is grapefruit. It is sweet, sour and bitter all at the same time!

Not sure how: "sourness" and "bitterness" are supposed to be functions of PH. Maybe it is so sour that the parts that are not sour taste bitter in comparison?
phillipsjk

Postby masher » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Apples and oranges are actually the same.
masher

Postby imsuzyq » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Is there anyway to make an alcoholic beverage from oranges like cider from apples?

Well my french mother used to make what she called Orange Wine from orange juice. I'm not sure if it counts though because she told me that it was rose, orange juice, and fruit liquor or vodka whichever was on hand, all combined and left to sit for a few months. After it fermented for a while she would strain it, bottle it, and chill it. I didn't like it very much, but her friends and family sure did.
imsuzyq

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 am UTC

imsuzyq wrote:

Well my french mother used to make what she called Orange Wine from orange juice. I'm not sure if it counts though because she told me that it was rose, orange juice, and fruit liquor or vodka whichever was on hand, all combined and left to sit for a few months. After it fermented for a while she would strain it, bottle it, and chill it. I didn't like it very much, but her friends and family sure did.

Did you try adding children's non-narcotic cough syrup and the lighting it on fire with a cigarette? That fixes all my mixed-drink problems
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Apples, for their cider and their baked goods.

If the orange was able to bring his whole citrus family to the rumble, I'd probably change my vote.
text goes where?
Stay_Puft_marshmallows

Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby imsuzyq » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
imsuzyq wrote:

Did you try adding children's non-narcotic cough syrup and the lighting it on fire with a cigarette? That fixes all my mixed-drink problems

Ha I probably should have. That might have made it taste slightly better. =)
imsuzyq

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

A Screwdriver is a much manlier drink than an Appletini.

Oranges will save your life if you need to spend 6 months at sea, while apples contain cyanide.

Oranges come in baskets, which is much better than bushels.

Ergo, Oranges > Apples
CorruptUser

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:30 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Oranges will save your life if you need to spend 6 months at sea, while apples contain cyanide.
You're referencing the vitamin C content of oranges, which, yes, will prevent scurvy. However, apples not only contain quite enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy, if rather less than oranges, they also keep better over long periods of time, either whole or as cider, or dried. Furthermore, both apple pips and orange seeds historically contained small amounts of cyanide (indeed, most fruit seeds do; it's a key flavor in marzipan), but modern breeds of apple have nearly cyanide-less pips. Besides, unless you're into eating apple cores, you're much more likely to accidentally swallow a small orange seed than a small apple seed.
CorruptUser wrote:Oranges come in baskets, which is much better than bushels.

A basket is a container. A bushel is a unit of measurement. I can buy oranges by the bushel just as easily as I can buy apples in baskets.
Meteorswarm

Next

Return to Religious Wars