uh, thats jacked up (disturbing books)

A slow, analog alternative to the internet

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: uh, thats jacked up (disturbing books)

Postby Briareos » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Either Out or Grotesque by Natsuo Kirino.

They're not extremely graphic, but they are so terrifying:

Spoiler:
Murder, prostitution, insanity, butchering people's bodies -- I could go on. And the protagonists are ordinary little Japanese women.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.
Briareos

Postby orestes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 am UTC

hi! im reading house of leaves and its pretty weird the way that makes you feel like youre inside the house etc

btw could someone tell me tha autor from "guts" im looking for it and i cant fin it thanks :)
orestes

Postby rat4000 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 am UTC

Chuck Palahniuk. And there's a link to the story somewhere on the first two pages of the thread, do a Ctrl + F.
rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

While not really hugely disturbing... Bret Easton Ellis (of American Psycho fame)'s Glamorama starts out as a satire on celebrity life. Somehow later in the book there's torture and maiming and terrorism. Graphic.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.
el_loco_avs

Postby orestes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

i just found the link to guts its kinda sick :shock: but i like it :?
orestes

Postby PigBodine » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I agree with post about Gravity's Rainbow, one of pynchons random characters having some BDSM which ends with him getting peed on and eating crap. only to later find our some 200 odd pages later that he died of E.coli :)
PigBodine

Postby ssbookyu123 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I would have to say a really jacked up disturbing book is Death's Dominion by Simon Clark. It is a sci-fi horror book its about a future where the dead can be bought back to life with science and they come back stronger and faster as basically the super undead or god- scarers and can only help humans but humans became scared of the god- scarers and launched a genocide against them and they can't fight back because they have programming against that. But then one of them can kill and he has a plan to stop the genocide and his solution is to
Spoiler:
Shame on you for trying to read the summery and not the book
ssbookyu123

Postby animeHrmIne » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:27 pm UTC

The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen

Not a mainstream book, and I don't think anyone will have heard of it. This thing gave me nightnamres for months. It wasn't a good book technically (it's a wonder it was published, really.) and the imagery wasn't particularly vivid. I don't know why, but it' just freaked me out. It's about a girl who i kidnapped and then is just left in a room in the dark by herself. There's an ambiguous ending (Did she or didn't she get out?), and I think that's the part that fucked with my brain.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy
animeHrmIne

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I can't think of anything I've read recently that was a good mindfuck. I do remember when I was about 14 or 15 a friend of mine had introduced me to the Goosebumps series by R.L. Stine, and the first book, Welcome to Dead House, scared the shit out of me.

Spoiler:
In the book, the ghost kids talk about how toxic gases from a nearby chemical plant leaked into the air and killed everyone in the town. The town I lived in at the time had a couple of plastics factories, and a plant that made pool chemicals. Back in 2003 the pool chemical plant caught fire, and everyone within a one-mile radius had to be evacuated, and there was talk about a possible five-mile evacuation, which included the apartment complex I lived in. They had warned us not to go outside, not to open windows, and not to run the AC (it was Summer). When most of the fire was put out, the stench of pool chemicals still lingered in the air, and some people had complained of breathing problems and eye irritation, the same kind you'd get if you spend too much time in an over-chlorinated public swimming pool. I remember my roommate and I sitting on the patio, and I had to go inside because my eyes were burning. Earlier that morning as I was leaving for work, the sky looked red and was cloudy, which gave me the impression it was going to rain. I thought I had smelled rain that morning, but what I was really smelling was the water from the fire hoses mixing with the chemicals. I had run back into the apartment to unplug my computer, then headed off to work. On the way to work I heard them talk about the plant fire on one of the local news radio stations.

Weak, I know, but still it was pretty scary to me at the time.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:58 am UTC

animeHrmIne wrote:The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen

Not a mainstream book, and I don't think anyone will have heard of it. This thing gave me nightnamres for months. It wasn't a good book technically (it's a wonder it was published, really.) and the imagery wasn't particularly vivid. I don't know why, but it' just freaked me out. It's about a girl who i kidnapped and then is just left in a room in the dark by herself. There's an ambiguous ending (Did she or didn't she get out?), and I think that's the part that fucked with my brain.
Hey, I read that one! I thought it was pretty nifty and quite memorable. (It was particularly ingenious of the publisher to set it in Courier.) It is a shame that more people will not know of it, as you say, though I will admit that the flashback plot was rather cliche.

In any case, I would think it is not quite in the same league as the other books mentioned in the thread, in the sense that others are perhaps less likely to share your extreme reaction.
Jorpho

Postby animeHrmIne » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
animeHrmIne wrote:The Girl in the Box by Ouida Sebestyen

Hey, I read that one! I thought it was pretty nifty and quite memorable. (It was particularly ingenious of the publisher to set it in Courier.) It is a shame that more people will not know of it, as you say, though I will admit that the flashback plot was rather cliche.

In any case, I would think it is not quite in the same league as the other books mentioned in the thread, in the sense that others are perhaps less likely to share your extreme reaction.

I'll bet. I'm usually really into books that creep other people out (We had to read The Hot Zone by Richard Preston in seventh grade, and while some of the kids nearly passed out, I loved it). Dunno why that one got to me like it did. I still have nightmares, though.

Anyway, I'm definitely going to use this thread for sggestions on what to read.
I wanted to see the universe, so I stole a Time Lord and ran away. And you were the only one mad enough.
Biting's excellent! It's like kissing, only there's a winner.
-Sexy
animeHrmIne

Postby MWPPrule215 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:44 am UTC

This book isn't as bad as most of the ones described here, but it weirded me out a bit when I read it. It's called Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It was originally in Swedish, and it's about this Swedish boy that meets a vampire child. The strage parts:
Spoiler:
The kids are like, 12, but there's so much sexual tension between them its kinda sickening, pedophilia, murder (ahh that scene at the end in the pool....), suicide (more sad than disturbing)

still need to see the movie... one of my friends is obsessed with it.
MWPPrule215

Postby kaniman2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

MWPPrule215 wrote:This book isn't as bad as most of the ones described here, but it weirded me out a bit when I read it. It's called Let the Right One In, by John Ajvide Lindqvist. It was originally in Swedish, and it's about this Swedish boy that meets a vampire child. The strage parts:
Spoiler:
The kids are like, 12, but there's so much sexual tension between them its kinda sickening, pedophilia, murder (ahh that scene at the end in the pool....), suicide (more sad than disturbing)

still need to see the movie... one of my friends is obsessed with it.

A friend of mine got a hold of the movie last year. I enjoyed it, which means I'll read the book eventually.
Spoiler:
The only parts that were really disturbing were the parts with Håkan butchering people and burning his face and stuff... they actually show his face when Eli feeds on him.
Hiya, I'm Kanavazk.
[(No longer) bored out of my mind...]
Spoiler:
[Well, it's better than Vista. --Meowgan]
(I DO realize that that quote was from an xkcd comic, thank you very much.)
kaniman2

Location: Canada, North of the Border, whatever you want to call it.

Postby Box Boy » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Hellbent is pretty messed up, although it's aimed at teens so I don't think it is that disturbed.
SLIGHT SPOILERS TO THE BEGINING TO THE BOOK
Spoiler:
A boy gets run over by an ice-cream truck and is sent to Hell. He's assigned a demon and his own personal torture, listening to classical music and reading novels fr all eternity. He finds a way to go to another persons personal Hell that would be his heaven (Video games and Women) and sets out to swap afterlives with them. Along the way he meets his old dog who died with him and makes friends with a cross dressing viking, not to mention that his demon (who's rather friendly) helps him as if the boy gets caught he (the demon) will get punished as well.
Signatures are for chumps.
Box Boy
WINNING

Postby FuckThePainAway » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

It by Stephen King was pretty weird. I mean, I really enjoyed it, but...

Spoiler:
That bit with the kids having sex in the tunnel?! O.O
FuckThePainAway

Postby modularblues » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:04 am UTC

Some books are a lot more disturbing when read at an impressionable age... i.e. Lord of the Flies (age 12), Ancient Child (age 13, required summer reading! That book has some explicit sexual references), 1984 (age 14, and the world became dystopic for the remainder of my summer that year).
modularblues

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:13 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:Hellbent is pretty messed up, although it's aimed at teens so I don't think it is that disturbed.
SLIGHT SPOILERS TO THE BEGINING TO THE BOOK
Spoiler:
A boy gets run over by an ice-cream truck and is sent to Hell. He's assigned a demon and his own personal torture, listening to classical music and reading novels fr all eternity. He finds a way to go to another persons personal Hell that would be his heaven (Video games and Women) and sets out to swap afterlives with them. Along the way he meets his old dog who died with him and makes friends with a cross dressing viking, not to mention that his demon (who's rather friendly) helps him as if the boy gets caught he (the demon) will get punished as well.

Wow, that plot reminds me somewhat of the rules of death in Slightly Damned, an awesome webcomic. It is by no means disturbing or jacked up, though. Just felt like mentioning it. I really want to read this book now. Who is the author?
FuckThePainAway wrote:It by Stephen King was pretty weird. I mean, I really enjoyed it, but...

Spoiler:
That bit with the kids having sex in the tunnel?! O.O

Anything ever written by Stephen King will end up being disturbing! It's just his style. I remember that one day me and my dad were talking about horror movies/books, and he brought up an interview with Stephen King he once saw. Apparently, Mr. King believes that the unknown is what is really scary, which is why he does not give you all the descriptions about his monsters.
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby Decker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

I know that someone mentioned Crooked Little Vein before. I didn't find that very disturbing just because some of the decriptions are so...hyperbolic and out there that's it's hard to take seriously.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby rnbguru » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Depending on what you find disturbing, Perks of Being A Wallflower or Thirteen Reasons Why are good examples of what I've had trouble with. Both were solid stories but dealing with suicide and sexual assault can be hard to digest.
rnbguru

Postby viscusanima » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

The story Apt Pupil from Different Seasons by Stephen King is pretty disturbing. It depicts a nice, classic All-American kid who finds out about this German war criminal living in his neighbourhood (I can't remember exactly how) and proceeds to hang around his house and blackmail him into telling him all about the concentration camps and various horrible crimes. The story includes the boy running over and over a bird on his bike, with quite graphic descriptions, the old man luring a cat into an oven, the kid having a wet dream about raping a Jewish girl with an electrified steel dildo (this made me stop reading it for a couple of years when I was about 14), the kid killing a bunch of homeless people in cold blood (I think with a hammer?) and finally the kid taking a rifle and sniping quite a number of people before turning it on himself. I think it's probably the sickest thing in terms of descriptions and horrific actions I've ever read, and that includes Guts, which I read just now and didn't actually find all that bad - it was just graphic sexual descriptions.
viscusanima

Postby Jorpho » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:55 am UTC

You are aware that Apt Pupil was later a movie, right?
Jorpho

Postby viscusanima » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:You are aware that Apt Pupil was later a movie, right?

That's really, really weird. How did they manage to get it past the censors without stripping out most of the content?
viscusanima

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:09 am UTC

I'm reading House of Leaves right now. I just was pointed to the letters from The Whalestoe part. I've since finished them, and am continuing on (right now, I'm just before the upside-down/left/right/mirror odd-looking text part).
Those letters are messed up, man. Any psychological screwups just mess with me, possibly because I really do not want any kind of fate like Schizophrenia or Alzheimer's or the like.

House of Leaves: One pretty jacked up book, so far.
You are now breathing manually.
Also, you just lost a certain Game...

Spoiler:
Internetmeme

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:03 am UTC

Belial wrote:As stereotypical an answer as it is, House of Leaves was pretty fucked up.

This. House of Leaves was quite disturbing, especially the Navidson Record. The Johnny whatshisname part was more of an annoyance and distraction from what I wanted to read, but Will Navidson's dreams (especially the abyssal one) stuck with me for months afterwards.
Sheikh al-Majaneen

Postby mercutio_stencil » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:06 am UTC

In the not so much gross as dangerous vein, Focaults Pendulum, by Umberto Eco is one of the greatest books that I have ever had the pleasure to be mentally violated by. I read it about 6 months ago, and it has still fucked with my thinking. Not to mention when it comes to conspiracies, it makes even the Illuminati Trilogy pale in comparison.
mercutio_stencil

Postby Apteryx » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:09 am UTC

"Tough guys don't dance" Norman Mailer.

I gave a copy of this to my sister-in-law. So weeks later , late at night there was a knock on my door, and my brother was there. he handed me the book, and said " I swear, if you ever give my wife a book like that again, I will come back here with a pickaxe handle, and deal to you".
:shock:
Abuse of words has been the great instrument of sophistry and chicanery, of party, faction, and division of society.
John Adams
Apteryx

Postby Briareos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Haunted. Chuck Palahniuk. I'm reading it right now, and I have to take breaks every so often because it's too disturbing to read all at once.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.
Briareos

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

mercutio_stencil wrote:In the not so much gross as dangerous vein, Focaults Pendulum, by Umberto Eco is one of the greatest books that I have ever had the pleasure to be mentally violated by. I read it about 6 months ago, and it has still fucked with my thinking. Not to mention when it comes to conspiracies, it makes even the Illuminati Trilogy pale in comparison.
Whut? I already wanted to read it, now I need to read it.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Korbl » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:25 am UTC

Deep Thought wrote:Perdido Street Station disturbed me to no end. Meiville is such a descriptive writer... and his scenes are disturbing in themselves.

*lightbulb goes on* Oh... that's what I recognize the book's name from... it's a place in Transmetropolitan... now I have to read Perdido Street Station just because Transmetropolitan references it...

DarkKnightJared wrote:Warren Ellis' Crooked Little Vein definately has some...interesting moments.

Two words,
Spoiler:
Godzilla Bukakke.

...Good sir, you have my complete attention....
Korbl

Postby Lidwiz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:18 am UTC

viscusanima wrote:
Jorpho wrote:You are aware that Apt Pupil was later a movie, right?

That's really, really weird. How did they manage to get it past the censors without stripping out most of the content?

They didn't. The story Apt Pupil is quite possibly the best thing Stephen King ever wrote. The movie was wretched.
Lidwiz

Postby pheonixduprese » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:31 am UTC

Ok, here's a messed up one-

Lowboy.

Schizophrenic 17-year old who constantly rides the subway.

Thinks that the world is going to end........ IF HE DOESN'T CUM IN THE NEXT SIX HOURS.

That, my friends, is a jacked-up book.
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!
pheonixduprese

Postby Hoags » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am UTC

pheonixduprese wrote:Thinks that the world is going to end........ IF HE DOESN'T CUM IN THE NEXT SIX HOURS.
It seems to me that there's a very simple solution to that problem
Hoags

Postby Bisyss » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:04 am UTC

Hoags wrote:It seems to me that there's a very simple solution to that problem
But is it the kind of solution you could carry out on a subway without being arrested?
william wrote:Hamlet's problem is that Scar caused the stampede that killed his father.
Bisyss

Postby Kewangji » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:08 pm UTC

He's going to sit there for six hours? :|
If you like my words sign up for my newsletter, Airport Tattoo Parlour: https://tinyletter.com/distantstations
Belial wrote:
Kewangji wrote:On of them is clearly vastly cooler than the other, roband. :roll:

Don't you fucking "to the fairest" this forum.
Kewangji
Has Been Touched

Postby pheonixduprese » Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Spoiler that shit, yo. No-one needs to know Rosebud is a sled, you dig? ~~Felstaff
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!
pheonixduprese

Postby jessicahollis907 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 am UTC

hey can someone please tell me who GUTS is written by?? ive been reading reviews on here about how fucked up of a book it is so now i wanna read for myself but no one ever said who wrote it lol SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME!!!!! THANK YOU!! :twisted:
jessicahollis907

Postby Felstaff » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:40 am UTC

Chuck Palahniuk.

Here is a link. It's not for the faint-hearted. Massive "uh, that's jacked up" warning.

Also, quick warning that the site contains an eye-straining flickery gif, seemingly in an attempt to troll epileptics...
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby pizzazz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:42 am UTC

For a different kind of disturbing... Wheel of Time. In particular, the damane. They're enslaved magic-users and while those raised in the culture that has them accept it pretty-much from the get-go, those who have spent 150 years being the top dogs (magic-users live longer) don't take to it so well. In short, they're "broken" mentally until something resembling Stockholm Syndrome takes over and they see themselves as pets whose only goal is to please their masters.

Spoiler for details of the process.
Spoiler:
1. The process revolves around a bracelet, worn by the sul'dam (trainer), and linked to a collar, worn by the damane. The damane never take off the collar.
2. While it is on, if no one is using the bracelet, she (all damane are female) cannot channel (use magic) (attempts to do so cause immense pain), move the bracelet more than a foot (again this causes pain), take off her or anyone else's collar, or pick up anything she considers a weapon. Essentially, she cannot harm anyone else or herself (precluding suicide, in my opinion one of the more nightmarish features).
3. While suldam is wearing the bracelet, she completely controls the damane's magic-using, can inflict pain or pleasure at will, and the damane feels any injury felt by the suldam, magnified, and if the damane has tried to channel without anyone wearing the bracelet she knows.
4. Thus, once collared, it is impossible to free oneself, even by death. The fact that damane can live for hundreds of years serves only to make this last part worse.
5. The suldam use both the pleasure and pain, as well as the frustration of being stuck in the collar, to "persuade" trainees that it is better to give up and obey rather than fight. As I mentioned they treat the damane like animals, dangerous but tameable, and eventually the damane think of themselves similarly (they can't even refer to themselves in the first person).

I can't really convey the way Jordan describes it, he evokes the hopelessness and crushing despair so well.

Also, for characters who were once independent and strong, they are often referred to as "broken" which for some reason gives me goosebumps and whenever I hear someone describe themselves as "broken" (for various reasons), I think of the damane and I get goosebumps again.
pizzazz

Postby theGoldenCalf; » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Chuck Palahniuk.

Here is a link. It's not for the faint-hearted. Massive "uh, that's jacked up" warning.

I found and read this one when it was first mentioned in this thread. People were so skeeved by it (and apparently a few dozen people fainted during readings of it) I had to see what was the deal. I felt sorry I did for a few days in which I had little appetite and phantom stomach aches. For anyone feeling curious like I was, do yourself a favor and don't -

Spoiler:
It's a fairly uninteresting short about 3 different people who had accidents while masturbating in creative ways. In the course of two or three thousand words it goes quickly from "yuuuuuuuck" to "ouch ouch ouch ouch OUCH!!" to "OH NO OH DEAR GOD PLEASE NO I'LL BE GOOD I SWEAR PLEASE OH PLEASE". There's nothing else to it and you can't unread it once you do.
それは彼女が言ったことだ!
theGoldenCalf;

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

I didn't know Guts was this well-known. If I had, I would've bought the collection it's in this afternoon when I found it in a second hand bookstore. Now I'll have to go back. This always happens.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

PreviousNext

Return to Books