[AUS] Sydney: home of the Kurnell Desalination Plant

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

[AUS] Sydney: home of the Kurnell Desalination Plant

Postby hermaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:46 am UTC

This thread is now the perpetual Sydney hangouts thread. This post will be updated with details for whatever we're currently planning whenever I remember.

Guys, I am pretty awful at remembering to update this first post. The title is updated to reflect whichever date we're organising things for, and the information for current plans can generally be found in the last page of the thread. I will try to link to the post containing the bulk of the information here in future but if you're confused just post in the thread and we'll sort you out.

Because it sucks how most of us cannot go to the meet-up in September, I propose a meet-up of our own on the night of September the 23rd, somewhere in Sydney where we can get our booze on all night. :D

This is just to see who is interested! If there is enough interest I will then move this to the September meet-up forum and we can actually start planning and co-ordinating this thing.

Okay, this was in General long enough and there seems to be enough interest for us to start planning things now. Anyone with any ideas, feel free to start chucking them in.
Last edited by hermaj on Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:54 am UTC, edited 8 times in total.
hermaj

Postby pollywog » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:56 am UTC

I need to know the cost of such a rendezvous. Flights to Sydney are cheap here, but staying even for two days might break my budget. (That doesn't count food, or transport, or anything)
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby GhostWolfe » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:22 am UTC

I'm going to see if I can convince my BF to make this my b'day pressy.

First, I have to convince him he wants to come meet a bunch o' strangers I know from teh interwebs.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby __Kit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:28 am UTC

I wouldn't be surprised if you got as much people as the American one :o

But yeah, when your a kid (even if you have the money) it is hard to say "Mum, can I go to Sydney for a couple of nights to meet up with some crazy peoples I met over the interwabs!?"
=]
__Kit

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I'm all for it, but like everyone else it'll depend on money. I've got to go to Canberra the week prior to that, so I'll see if I can fit a trip to Sydney in as well.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby tarkadal » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 am UTC

Sydney is a long way away, but that's what I get for living in the most awesome city in the world. I need more information, so that's what I voted. Getting time off work to meet people from the internet might be problematic though.
Happiness is a time a place. A memory a chemical imbalance or shift.
tarkadal

Postby ShadeWolf » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:52 am UTC

I might be able to make it down for the weekend & monday, but it will have to depend if I can get the time off work
The wolf that walks in the dark is no more.
ShadeWolf
Not to be confused with the well-lit variety

Postby damienthebloody » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:21 am UTC

I will be there, and it will be awesome.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.
damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby Chawmp » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:02 am UTC

I'd would probably be very fun, but, being a kid, yeah, just no.
"So, you like to play with mirrors, do you? Well, how about a little fire, scarecrow?"
"What?"
"Er, I mean, you like to play with mirrors, do you? Well, reflect on this for a while!"
Chawmp

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:10 am UTC

I dunno, I'd kinda like to go, but it might cost a bit much for me, and I still live with my parents and stuff too...

also september seems kinda soon...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby hermaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:22 pm UTC

Well, there are zillions of hotels, motels and youth hostels around Sydney, and most are pretty affordable. I looked into a few back when Gordon was thinking of coming here.

How about, those of us who are for definite can try and think of an ideal location - right in the city seems best, I think, but we'll talk - and from there we can work out places for people to stay and approximate costs? If flights are too expensive you could always take the train, for example. The train trip from Canberra to Sydney, for example, is only four hours, $30, and it's lovely. Anyway, I'll wait a couple of days until people have had a proper chance to have a look and then I'll move it over and we can plan properly.
hermaj

Postby TheKhakinator » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:29 pm UTC

Sadly this is pre-exams and I can't make a trip to Sydney at such a critical time. Would rock if there's one next year.

You've been trying to organise this for ages from what I've heard. I guess it's hard because with fewer forumites here it needs to be an optimal time for everyone.
TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Postby hermaj » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:15 pm UTC

Yeah, I've been trying to get Sydney people together for a while. But we're all pretty lazy, I think. :P The idea for making it bigger and having it coincide with the meetup only struck me this morning or yesterday or whenever I annouced this.

Ooh, this afternoon, even. Time does fly. :roll:
hermaj

Postby German Sausage » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

its about a hundred dollars from melbourne, and its an all-day train ride. which sucks, but its bearable. don't start anything before 8:30pm, ok?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L
German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby Hawknc » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

$100? You can fly for cheaper than that these days. Jetstar has flights for $69 each way (VB is down right now, and Tiger doesn't fly to Sydney).
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby jmrz » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:17 pm UTC

I would be all for this, except for the fact that it is a few weeks before my HSC and I have already planned a weekend in Sydney for the 15th for other internet people. And Sydney is so easy to get to as well. Damn.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.
jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby Verysillyman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:34 am UTC

too much cost, otherwise, sure!
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby VannA » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 am UTC

I heartily endorse this event or product.
Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.
VannA
White

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:21 pm UTC

I'm not sure it would be such a great idea for me either if I have exams or assignments around then, although I could easily afford it, and I'd probably have fun.

Is there any chance of having it at a different time of year? I suppose after exams would be more expensive though anyway...

actually, I shouldnt have exams until a bit after then... Still, I'd still only be 17 then and my parents might think it quite a bad idea and I'd be obliged to listen.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby German Sausage » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:15 pm UTC

Isn't September 23rd the middle of mid-semester break? I know it's during a holiday for me.
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
TMT4L
German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby jmrz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

For uni kids it might be, but for those in Year 12, HSC exams are coming up really fast.
Alisto wrote:jmrz is awesome in ways that mere mortals cannot hope to comprehend.
jmrz
I am going to attempt to use this. I just have to wait for the opportune moment.

Postby hermaj » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:52 am UTC

When does it start? It's like mid-October, right? Also, how many of you are year 12ers?
hermaj

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:14 am UTC

*hand up* Right here, year 12.

Exams are around october, because there's Schoolies week at the start of November IIRC.

It's REALLY not a good idea to do this kind of thing in the leadup to exams (if you have them).
TheKhakinator

Postby German Sausage » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:45 am UTC

Thats so weird! In Victoria exams start in November/late October
TMT4L
German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby TheKhakinator » Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:53 am UTC

German Sausage wrote:Thats so weird! In Victoria exams start in November/late October

I'll admit I'm guessing.
TheKhakinator

Postby pingu » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:48 am UTC

rem
Last edited by pingu on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pingu

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:44 am UTC

I won't be going to the Cambridge meet up (my mother decided to renege on her promise to finance the trip), but I can make it to a Sydney based one.
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby hermaj » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:22 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:It's REALLY not a good idea to do this kind of thing in the leadup to exams (if you have them).

It's fiiiine. Honestly, I have done my HSC. Once you get into your first exam, you are all "Pah! Is that all?" Also, it's one night three or so weeks before.

I really would like to have a meet at the same time as the proper one, just because the idea was for us to feel a part of it all even though we are far away. If the HSC is that big of an issue, I'm sure we could organise another Sydney meet some time in the summer for people who can't make this one. But the September one is the one you really want to be trying for because we can actually be arsed making sure it gets organised and making a bigger thing of it.
hermaj

Postby pollywog » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

hermaj wrote:When does it start? It's like mid-October, right? Also, how many of you are year 12ers?

Year 12 in Australia is Year 13 in NZ, right? The last year?

Anyway, I can't come.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic
pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby jmrz » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 am UTC

HSC exams start on October 18 I think, English Paper One is on the 19th. And yes, Year 12 in Australia is the last year.
jmrz

Re: AUSTRALIA/NZ PEOPLE!

Postby gormster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:47 am UTC

hermaj wrote:Because it sucks how most of us cannot go to the meet-up in September, I propose a meet-up of our own on the night of September the 23rd, somewhere in Sydney where we can get our booze on all night. :D

This is just to see who is interested! If there is enough interest I will then move this to the September meet-up forum and we can actually start planning and co-ordinating this thing.

I AM COMPLETELY IN

Also this is two nights after my nineteenth b'day!
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.
gormster

Postby TheKhakinator » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:36 am UTC

I've done year 12 exams before. (I did some year 12 subjects in Year 11). I wanted to die. Beforehand, anyway. And especially after the maths one. :P But that's just me. They're not too hard.
TheKhakinator

Postby recurve boy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

23rd is my birthday!
recurve boy

Postby hermaj » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:16 pm UTC

Yay!
hermaj

Postby gormster » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:36 am UTC

Ideas! Places! Question?

... Manning Bar? I'm guessing there's a fair proportion of students here, and even if you don't go to USyd I'm betting you at least know where it is and probably go there a lot. Also, cheap drinks + free music + no ID checks (for those of you who are underage... within limits).

Other than that, somewhere in the city.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.
gormster

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:11 am UTC

My university student card conveniently doesnt have my DOB on it, and everyone knows people under 18 dont go to uni anyway >.>

Although I havent tried getting into a bar or anything anyway...

Website
Toeofdoom

Postby gormster » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:00 am UTC

Yeah, man, I was slightly disappointed that I virtually never got ID checked after I turned 18. I kept thinking "How long could I have been pulling this off for? Months? Years?"
gormster

Postby hermaj » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:24 am UTC

Until I got my hair cut and styled the way it is at the moment, I looked under 18 and got carded all the time. Now I do not get carded any more! It is really exciting. :D

Anyway, I do not have a problem with Manning Bar, I am sure. I don't know how to get there, but I know lots of people who do. And you don't have to be a Sydney student? (Fun fact: One of my mild pet peeves is people that say USyd and New South. I yelled at pretty much everyone in my grade about it. :P)
hermaj

Postby Pebbles » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:34 am UTC

jmrz wrote:HSC exams start on October 18 I think, English Paper One is on the 19th. And yes, Year 12 in Australia is the last year.

I did the english exam on my 18th birthday, it was sadness all round. Also yay being a uni kid and getting awesome holidays :) Im in syd all the time these days so ill def consider coming along to any meetups

Also, Toeofdoom.. I tried using my uni card to get into a club before and they wouldnt take it. I think they are getting stricter, its only licenses and those over 18 cards they take now.
She only looked away for a moment, and the mask slipped, and you fell. All your tomorrows start here.
-Neil Gaiman
Pebbles

Postby damienthebloody » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:07 am UTC

I spent an entire undergrad degree in Manning. It's not a bad place, it's relatively easy to find, but I wouldn't rely on not being carded there if you are underage.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.
damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Next

Return to XKCD Meetups