0719: "Brain Worms"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

0719: "Brain Worms"

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Title Text: Hey, it says here that if you dream about your teeth falling out, it means they're spreading.

There should've been a comic about the word filters this week... It would've confused everyone who doesn't go on the fora. :P
Last edited by Magnanimous on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:46 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

jspenguin

Re: "Brain Worms" Discussion

Postby jspenguin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Oh crap.. I've had both of those dreams. Time to call Dr. House!

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

mszegedy

Postby mszegedy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Never had any of these dreams. And I would have been first had I not needed to log in. But such petty foolishness is disregarded here on XKCD… right?
Last edited by mszegedy on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tastethesun

Postby tastethesun » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Also related to driving: brakes not working. I know quite a few people who dream about that, myself included. Toyota drivers too, I suppose.

FishyFred

Postby FishyFred » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Of course, once you mention such dreams to someone else, they will have those exact dreams in the next few days because they'll be thinking about them as they drift off to sleep.

EDIT: I can't be the only one who has dreamed about Martian invasions, right? Although one of those dreams occurred the night after I saw Mars Attacks!

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am UTC

The other reason this works very well is that there really are some very strange parasites out there. Toxoplasma for example is a very common parasite in humans and there's evidence that it actually does alter our behavior. See here. A very cool but very weird other example is Wolbachia which infects arthropods not humans but does very strange stuff including messing with sex ratios of offspring and rendering only males sterile in some circumstances. There's evidence that strongly suggests that Wolbachia can cause speciation events. Parasites are weird.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:09 am UTC

FishyFred wrote:OOPS: I can't be the only one who has dreamed about Martian invasions, right? Although one of those dreams occurred the night after I saw Mars Attacks!

I've had a dream about a Martian invasion... Although it was a "Martian" invasion in the sense that we invaded Mars. It wasn't that exciting; the only thing there was Doctor Manhattan.
Last edited by Magnanimous on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SunDawg

Postby SunDawg » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Reminds me of this. Something I StumbledUpon once. I've never dreamed it that I recall, though.

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Wow. I had no idea that other people had the driving-from-the-back-seat dreams. I created an account here just to publicly marvel at that.
Last edited by mschmidt62 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC

I don't really have many driving dreams, but I totally have that teeth falling out dream. Oh no, my brain worms are spreading! I request both Randall and the brain worms get out of my head.
Last edited by Omegaton on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Cecil

Postby Cecil » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:11 am UTC

I've never had either of those dreams, but I do often have dreams where I try to run fast but can't - like I'm trying to run in a swimming pool.

Also I find that fine print is impossible to read.
More xkcd than your mom.

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:16 am UTC

Cecil, the running-in-a-swimming pool sort of dream I think is quite common--I believe it relates to the normal inhibition of voluntary motor control while asleep. The reason you feel like you can't run is that, in fact, you can't run--while asleep.

standinginherfield

Postby standinginherfield » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:19 am UTC

My question: The worms or your teeth?!
maintain wonder.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 am UTC

How about dreaming that you forget completely how to drive a car, and press the gas instead of the break? (Or better yet, actually doing that, several times... thank the non-existent deities I haven't hit anything other than a raccoon so far...)

An ongoing case study shows that people who dream about their teeth spreading out have had bike accidents in the past that required artificial teeth to be put in and/or have had to have gum grafts in the past.

Also, people who realize during their sleep that they are dreaming are totally awesome, particularly if they use said realization to give themselves flamethrowers in the fight against the velociraptor hordes.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:27 am UTC

If you dream about your dead grandfather/grandmother, you got 1 day to live!

Kain wrote:ALSO YOU GUYS: people who realize during their sleep that they are dreaming are totally awesome, particularly if they use said realization to give themselves flamethrowers in the fight against the velociraptor hordes.

I once realized I was dreaming and used it to escape the cops (crashed my car into a tennis court during a race), I summoned a motorcycle and made a road appear from nowhere...awesome

I dream about trains. waiting for them, missing them, dodging them, traveling in them, and all sort of stuff...is that another parasite?
Last edited by -.Mateo.- on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:29 am UTC

Okay... that was something that I didn't know, and for all I know it might not be true. And the only way to find out it to search the internets and that would mean participating in the subtle manipulations of google search patterns. Nope, not falling for it this time ;)
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:30 am UTC

Darn, now I feel foolish for living in Manhattan. Do the worms have any dreams about the 6 train?
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Helldrake

Postby Helldrake » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Never had any of those dreams.... (although i dont have a car so its logical).

i really doubt any of my dreams are "common". They usually consist of me in some amazingly bizarre situation (giving a concert in hogwarts or strip dancing in tatooine)

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 am UTC

I've had the driving from the backseat dream a lot. it's very disturbing to wake up from.
didn't know anyone else ever had it.

After i hit a raccoon ( i swerved the wrong way) i sent peta $25. took me 20 years to get around to it, but i got it done.
Last edited by arbivark on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:35 am UTC

Cecil wrote:I've never had either of those dreams, but I do often have dreams where I try to run fast but can't - like I'm trying to run in a swimming pool.

!!!! About 9/10 of my dreams involve this. It's getting quite old.
tastethesun wrote:also related to driving: brakes not working. I know quite a few people who dream about that, myself included. Toyota drivers too, I suppose.

Both of the pedals in my car were accelerators in my dream last night. And then I jumped to a dream in which there were snakes living in the wall next to my bed, and they had gotten out through a hole.
picnic time!

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

dropdeadpoet

Postby dropdeadpoet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Hmm, I have had those teeth falling out dreams since I was a kid, and according to my mom and her creepy dream books its an indicator of death.

Thanks, mom.

I don't drive so I don't have the other dream.

pgn674

Postby pgn674 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:The comic should've been about the cheesegraters... It would've confused everyone who doesn't go on a galaxy far, far away. :P
Cheesegraters? Who dreams about cheesegraters, and what does that have to do with Star Wars?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 am UTC

pgn674 wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:The comic should've been about the cheesegraters... It would've confused everyone who doesn't go on a galaxy far, far away. :P
Cheesegraters? Who dreams about cheesegraters, and what does that have to do with Star Wars?

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=58039

picnic_crossfire

Postby picnic_crossfire » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 am UTC

pgn674 wrote:

O, you don't know?
lol
picnic time!

airshowfan

Postby airshowfan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:52 am UTC

I used to have these driving dreams (from the back seat, swerving all over the road, sometimes brakes don't work) when I was a little kid. I don't think I've had them since I was 12 or 13, definitely not since I started actually driving. (I'm 28 now. And yes, I remember many of the dreams I had when I was a little kid, since I wrote them down and talked about them a lot, especially the ones I had repeatedly).

I used to really like old Tom & Jerry, Road Runner, and Mickey Mouse cartoons when I was little. (Bear with me, this has to do with these dreams). Does anyone by any chance remember a Disney cartoon where Mickey and Donald and Goofy go on a trip in a trailer, and at one point Goofy leaves the car and goes inside the trailer to eat, then realizes that no one is driving and jumps back out to the car and grabs the wheel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9p8iaKVOAw#t=3m50s

... The dreams usually started along those lines. Like, me sitting in a back seat and having a conversation with someone else in the back seat, then we notice that no one is driving as the car moves down the road, and I grab the wheel from the back seat as the car goes all over the place.

I do still have dreams about my teeth falling out, and I think that's just because I worry about the health of my teeth, and know that I don't take quite as good care of them as I should.

And yes, Kain; lucid dreams are awesome. Haven't had one for years, though.
Last edited by airshowfan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:53 am UTC

Kain wrote:ALSO YOU GUYS: people who realize during their sleep that they are dreaming are totally awesome, particularly if they use said realization to give themselves flamethrowers in the fight against the velociraptor hordes.

You might want to look into lucid dreams.

EDIT: Wow, NINJA'd at the last moment. Also, I've totally seen that old cartoon.

Isaac20

Postby Isaac20 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Wow. GOOMHR. I've been thinking about dreams more than a bit today. Though, that's probably because last night I dreamed I was in a survival horror game, and I was wondering what made it so scary. (I just happen to be developing a survival horror game)

pretzil

Postby pretzil » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Its amazing how many people have had the dream where they are trapped in a futuristic amusement park being chased by velociraptors. Ive had it about once a year since I was 5.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:13 am UTC

More like mind worms.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

dividingbyzero

Postby dividingbyzero » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:17 am UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:Wow. I had no idea that other people had the driving-from-the-back-seat dreams. I created an account here just to publicly marvel at that.

I had a driving-from-the-back-seat dream not too long ago. I was going very, very fast around curves in a tight, one-lane highway ramp. In my dream, I was actually scared the entire time, thinking I was going to hit the cement barriers on the sides and scratch my car..

After over a year of being an xkcd reader I can finally say, "Randall, get out of my head!" And yes, I did just make an account to say it.

Ampyxx

Postby Ampyxx » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 am UTC

The most troublesome dreams that I've had involving any sort of limb movement are the ones where I'm in a fight, and the more and more I cannot punch, the more I try. Well, almost every single time, I eventually wake up and accidentally punch a wall. Thank God no one was in the bed with me, as that would put a major damper on our relationship (unless she was sadomasochistic, then it would just open up a totally new realm that I'm not sure whether I'd be comfortable with).

Some other crazy dreams I've had have involved lucid dreaming, type 2 false awakenings, and descending into Hell (It was a 3-parter about dragons and phoenixes guarding Hell and Heaven respectively, and me morphing into something between the two). Oh, and I had one last year when I fell asleep to the story of Amish people using power tools to build houses after the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike...that one was very scary. Power tools, Amish people, and a giant hurricane...

baltakatei

Postby baltakatei » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 am UTC

That gag only works for folks who have cars. You can't have a lot of spatial confusion while on a bike. Either you're riding one the seat or crashing. No way to confuse being a passenger.

Kailen

Postby Kailen » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I've never had the driving dreams. The teeth dream I've had plenty of times though. *shrug*. But my dreams have always been weird. The "classic" nightmares (naked somewhere public, haven't studied for a test) my brain stopped allowing long ago. There's almost always clothes near by if I need them, and a place to change, and tests never bothered me.

Maybe that means I'm so insecure that my brain won't let me be insecure. *worry*
* These senseless ramblings brought to you by Insanity™. If you just can't figure the dang thing out, it must be Insanity™.

racoonjwoolsey

Postby racoonjwoolsey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:37 am UTC

What does it mean if I have frequent dreams of brain worms instead of the normal ones *worry*

racoonjwoolsey

Postby racoonjwoolsey » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 am UTC

baltakatei wrote:That gag only works for folks who have cars. You can't have a lot of spatial confusion while on a bike. Either you're riding one the seat or crashing. No way to confuse being a passenger.

My argentine uncle cut 2 bikes in half and welded them into a double bike, to my surprise it works and I have ridden both driver and passenger.

http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/0 ... aOTTth.jpg

One of these numbers, whatever there called, du-something, duocycle? I think it was spanish. duo-cyclo?

Ghona

Postby Ghona » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Sounds like Randall has been browsing the SCP wiki.
If you're taking me too seriously, you probably are making a mistake.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:56 am UTC

Isaac20 wrote:Wow. GOOMHR. I've been thinking about dreams more than a bit today. Though, that's probably because last night I dreamed I was in a survival horror game, and I was wondering what made it so scary. (I just happen to be developing a survival horror game)

Is that why you're named Isaac? If you're working on Dead Space 2, that'd be awesome. :D

fealuinix

Postby fealuinix » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:19 am UTC

Randall, get your brain worms outta my head!!!

Yeah, I have that backseat driving one all the time. I'm usually impressed by how well I can drive from the backseat.

Edit: Wait, what? It says 'Comrade Munroe' anytime I write R a n d a l l?

2nd E d i t: and 'OOPS:' anytime I write 'E d i t :'???? seriously? April fools isn't for another week!!!

3rd E d i t: ...okay, wtf? 'W e e k' is switched to 'month'? How many more of these are there?

4th E d i t: ...did some digging around the f o r u m s. Don't think I'll be around for another month. F U C K THAT SHIT.
Last edited by fealuinix on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

somebody_else

Postby somebody_else » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:35 am UTC

I have never had the driving or falling teeth dream, but I have had a few others with may be common. One was about the next day (which was surprisingly dull), and one where I was dead and was doing ghostly things. Oh, and the horror survival one.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”