How Separate are your Online and Meatspace Identities?

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

felltir
has a sniper scope and a trigger finger.

Re: How Separate are your Online and Meatspace Identities?

Postby felltir » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
Felltir wrote:Not. I've had the police called for suicidal posts.

While I know that it's a good thing someone reached out to help someone online like this, I can't help but be a bit freaked out that someone could find out enough information about you to do that. I post online specifically because it's separate from my offline self (well, and the silly forum games). I'm always a bit uncomfortable about the fact that I don't really know how much information people can gather about me given just this xkcd-forum account.

My facebook was found/know, and everyone on it was messaged. Someone knew where I lived, and called the police. It REALLY helped. Saved my life several times over, and I am extremely grateful to the people here who did it (they know who they are).
Spoiler:
RoadieRich wrote:He's a super flexible furry martial artist from London. She is a Rabbit breeding mad scientist from Michigan. They fight crime!
The Great Hippo wrote:I THINK THE SOLAR SYSTEM MIGHT BE AN ATOM OF OXYGEN.

Blog

he/him/his

clumsy_culhane

Postby clumsy_culhane » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

Quite separate, just by pure chance. I have a flickr with quite a few photos of myself, and using parts of name in the username, and on here my username is half my last name. My facebook is just an extension of my real-life self, and I have no online-only friends on it. I guess I'm part of that new generation that just doesn't care too much about privacy,I don't think I have anything to hide, so I don't bother trying to keep them too separate :)

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:48 am UTC

I don't separate them at all.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Meatspace and cyberspace are one!

I really don't separate them at all. My avatar is often me, I post pictures of myself, I will happily tell you that my name is Joe Wilson and that I live in Leeds, and my facebook username is sleepygamer. I met my girlfriend through this forum, I invite people online to watch my band play live through the internet if possible. I've met at least 3 people from this forum in the meatspace world (being called sleepy in the real world was somewhat unusual), and will do so again.

I've never bothered to separate them because I am always myself. I have a separate gmail account for applying to jobs with, and that's about it.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 am UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:I set up a realname@gmail.com to be linked with my sillyname@gmail.com so when one replied to the serious one, I'd receive it on the silly one that I check properly.

This. It really is wonderful. I've made it a habit to always check which I'm sending from, and I have a Chrome extension that allows several signatures, so I can easily paste in a more professional sig if needed.

Overall, I keep my online and meatspace identities fairly separate, but I don't try especially hard to do it. I am not very protective of my name on forums and such. But Facebook is only for people I know IRL, and online communities I'm part of won't really see any of that. I'll share some stuff if its relevant, but not to much. Any blurring between the two is just because I don't care that much.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 am UTC

Man, I'm trying to remember the last time someone on the internet wanted to send me an email. It...was a while ago.

Ivora

Postby Ivora » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:46 am UTC

In different galaxies. :P

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:01 am UTC

I keep them separate enough that it would be unlikely for someone to casually connect my meatspace and online identities, but if they do I don't really care. The partition is there primarily so that I can blog about work-related things and non-work things in the same space without catching the attention of HR or future employers.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Furburt

Postby Furburt » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

Pretty much the same. I'm slightly more outgoing on the internet, but a general rule of thumb is, if I say it on the internet, I'd say it in real life too. I don't like anonymity, I'll happily give out my first name and photo to those who ask. I think a lot of the internet's problems are caused by anonymity, and I figure if I have my personal details (nothing too personal, just general info) on the net, it acts as a sort of insurance policy against me going all trollish on people.

So yeah, I'm the same person on the net that I am in the soft pink and fleshy world.
Ireland unfree shall never be at peace-Patrick Pearse, 1915.

Squid Tamer

Postby Squid Tamer » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:09 am UTC

I'm one of those weirdos who keep their meatspace identities very, very guarded. A few trusted real life people know of my online name, but as far as I know there are zero in the other direction. I think that with a bit of research you could find my general age and about what State I'm in. (I usually don't elaborate beyond 'Southern U.S.') If you got a hold of my IP address (Probably not as difficult as I'd like to think, I don't guard it at all) you could narrow that down much more

I don't even know why I do it.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 am UTC

EmilyR wrote:Clubbing every night & taking things I shouldn't isn't condusive to working in the City.

Huh, I figured most City workers were either coming down from or coming up on coke... :D

Anyhoo, mine aren't very separate. I'd never say anything online I wasn't prepared to say in real life, to everyone. I figure posting here is like standing on a street corner, yelling (*) - anyone who walks past will hear it. This means I'm a little reserved in "public" online places like here and FB.

(*) Well, without the antisocial aspect.

joeframbach

Postby joeframbach » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority here. My identities, personas, everything is the same in cyber- and real-life. If you met me online, then met me in real life, you would probably be completely unphased. Heck, even down to my email address. joe at framba.ch I like my name :)

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

actually not too far. My preffered username is hintss, and most people I know know that it is, and my FB uses my real name

EmilyR

Postby EmilyR » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:04 am UTC

dubsola wrote:
EmilyR wrote:Clubbing every night & taking things I shouldn't isn't condusive to working in the City.

Huh, I figured most City workers were either coming down from or coming up on coke... :D

Coke seems to be the drug of choice for city workers, but the problem (whether any drugs or none) is leaving a club at 4 or 5 and needing to be in work in a few hours time. I was working last night (barmaid & dancing), got home about an hour ago, there's no way I'd be able to be in work in 3 hours time.

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 am UTC

True, one can do that once or twice but not on the regular. I used to go out once a month and stay out till about two, but just drinking beer it's pretty feasible to handle work the next day.

Return to “General”