0724: "Hell"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: "Hell" Discussion

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
brook_88 wrote:Perhaps unsurprisingly, someone has had a busy afternoon....

http://erif.org/code/Hell/
I find myself wanting o-blocks, so there's some of the ironic punishment in there. Did you mean to have the game end when you hold down side arrow? Moving to the side past the point where it hits the wall causes the blocks crash into each other, and I lose.
The uncontrolled tumbling is in someways far crueler than the original premise.

Edit: The blocks piling up on the side is mistaken for blocks piling up after the screen is full. I guess there's not a good way to define defeat when the blocks can bounce.
Also you have to submit your score (or click "no thanks") and view the leaderboard every time, with that slow transition effect that ultimately makes you click the xkcd link multiple times thinking it's not responding, which opens several tabs, altogether making it very frustrating. Which I guess is appropriate. The game also just froze on me after laying a few blocks.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby RockoTDF » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:42 am UTC

Mario hack:

This is hell. Hell-arious, too.

Sound NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in6RZzdGki8
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.
RockoTDF

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:14 am UTC

With all of these variants of Tetris, I'm surprised that nobody posted High Definition Tetris. And yes, it is completely unwinnable.

For the record, I kind of enjoyed First Person Tetris. Maybe I just like being dizzy?
That'd explain a lot, actually.

EDIT: D'oh. Skimmed right over the previous post of it.
Last edited by Mr. Mack on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Bagpipes, YES!"
Mr. Mack

Postby Platypodes » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:39 am UTC

Wow, Bastet is actually fun!

In a weird way, I find it less cruel than regular Tetris. Getting massively screwed over by something that's supposed to be random and without malicious intent (like regular Tetris) gives that feeling that the universe is being mean to you, which is much worse than having a little computer program be mean to you because it's supposed to.

Bastet is like playing Tetris competitively. Hm, there's an idea... How about *actual* competitive Tetris? Where one person chooses the blocks and the other has to place them? With some limitations on what the chooser can choose, so it's not completely impossible... Maybe every fifth block could be a random one, or something...

Hm, what about a game with actual blocks? One person has the bag of blocks and hands them one at a time to the other person... Instead of disappearing rows, there'd be a grid that could hold all the blocks plus a certain number of empty squares; the person placing the blocks wins if they all fit on the grid.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?
Platypodes

Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby phlip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:With all of these variants of Tetris, I'm surprised that nobody posted High Definition Tetris.

phantom16 wrote:If you're a tetris fan you should give this version a try:

http://www.ngworks.net/game/swf/tetoris.swf

took me 20 minutes just to get one line

A tip: if you're going to say "I'm surprised nobody's posted x", maybe actually check whether anyone's posted x?
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Fume Troll » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 am UTC

And why's it unwinnable?
Spoiler:
Fume Troll

Postby Forny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 am UTC

I actually find High Def Tetris to be more interesting as a form of random art creation.

Spoiler:

It just takes a really, really long time. And that picture includes about 30 minutes' worth of having the spacebar held down while I was away from my computer.
Forny

Postby Kitu-mitu » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

I send this comic to my dad and a few minutes later I got a response. ;-)
Attachments
kosmos.png
Kitu-mitu

Postby jeremyjw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

World of Warcraft where the endgame requires you to group with 24 over-caffeinated prepubescents with A.D.D.
...oh wait...
jeremyjw

Postby Splarka » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Splarka wrote:
frikle wrote:For those who are interested I've got a "solution" whereby you can score some points even in this hellish version of tetris: http://anadder.com/a-tetris-nerds-mecca ... atest-xkcd

The problem is, if this is a physics-version of Tetris where pieces being freshly placed succumb to local terrain and gravity, some of those pieces in that solution probably would not stay where placed. The left lower L for example has 50% of its weight over the edge of the bottom piece. If it can be assumed that pieces "cement" after landing, then it could be compressed up against the right L, but I don't think the left T would stay on top of it.

Although it should still be possible, without violating those physics, pointing the Ls inside and building slower. Unless pieces don't cement....

Did find a solution that is stable to a point you can reach the edges (verified IRL, the delay was in making these blocks out of wood for testing):

helltris.gif
"Hell" solution...
helltris.gif (1.58 KiB) Viewed 4255 times

This assumes several things: That these are real world physics subjecting the pieces to gravity, that the bottom curvature has at least some friction (else the second piece would misalign the bottom one), that the pieces can rest against the sides, that the curve is a perfect half circle, etc.
HTTP/1.1 - 203
Splarka

Postby eviloatmeal » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

Splarka wrote:This assumes several things: That these are real world physics subjecting the pieces to gravity, that the bottom curvature has at least some friction (else the second piece would misalign the bottom one), that the pieces can rest against the sides, that the curve is a perfect half circle, etc.
Physics? No. Normal Tetris rules. A tetromino stays where it lands.

Where a brick lands is defined as anywhere it makes contact with the ground in more than a single point, which explains why it keeps falling when the corner touches the curved floor, and stops once another corner touches. This also explains why a tetriomino is allowed to touch the corner of another tetronimo without connecting.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage
eviloatmeal

Postby rbreuk » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

What can I say, I'm an optimist. :)

rbreuk

Postby TheChewanater » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

I guess this confirms that it doesn't really keep track of score.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (50.41 KiB) Viewed 4212 times
ImageImage
http://internetometer.com/give/4279
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.
TheChewanater

Postby pigslookfunny » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

Anybody who's played Sonic 3 knows that the real Sonic Hell is going through Carnival Night Zone Act 2 and not knowing you can move that barrel by pushing up and down.
pigslookfunny

Postby Dave_Wise » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

My favourite hell is "atheist hell". If you're an atheist and go to hell, you will spend eternity having to listen to faulty proofs of the existence of God.

Alejo

That may be, but it's as nothing to the pit of hell reserved for those people who say that if you believe you lose nothing, etc. The almighty felt that he had a point to make on this one.
The future is always bright. Bombs generate quite substantial amounts of illumination
-a friend.
Dave_Wise

Postby gypkap » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

When I saw the title "Hell" I thought of the song by the Squirrel Nut Zippers.
I guess the symbols are for a game, but not one I've heard of :roll: .
gypkap

Postby teelo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 pm UTC

A World of Warcraft raid boss that has more +hit, +parry, and +resistances than you can possibly gear to counter.
teelo

Postby Platypodes » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Forny wrote:I actually find High Def Tetris to be more interesting as a form of random art creation.

Spoiler:

It just takes a really, really long time. And that picture includes about 30 minutes' worth of having the spacebar held down while I was away from my computer.

Neato!

That gave me the idea that it would also be fun for non-random art creation. Which was really fun. I felt kind of silly when I looked at the time counter afterwards, though.

By the way, check out the 8-block grey piece just to the right of the falling square... That turned up at about an hour and twenty minutes. :?

Spoiler:
tetorisart.PNG

Kitu-mitu wrote:I send this comic to my dad and a few minutes later I got a response. ;-)
(image)

I love it! :D
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?
Platypodes

Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby TheChewanater » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:51 am UTC

On the topic of huge Tetris, I wonder if it's Turing-complete.
ImageImage
No one can agree how to count how many types of people there are. You could ask two people and get 10 different answers.
TheChewanater

Postby leftsquarebracket » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 am UTC

All right, I finally felt enough of an urge to register.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Desert Bus as the pinnacle of hellish gaming.
(Part 48 of LoadingReadyRun's Desert Bus speedrun)

Oh, and the comic was fantastic.

And and, HD Tetris/huge tetris was awful (I did spend about 40 minutes once and failed to make a line). Bastet was actually kind of fun (seconded on the "intentionally trying to screw you over" point). 99 blocks was a pain. Props to the guy who whipped up the sketched-looking version of the comic.
Last edited by leftsquarebracket on Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
leftsquarebracket

Postby erksome » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 am UTC

Pure, clean, understated, hilarious. If I didn't think that xkcd was the work of a subtle genius before, now I do.
erksome

Postby Gargravarr » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 am UTC

Here's my Java implementation, Helltris

Gargravarr

Postby scarletmanuka » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:50 am UTC

Mishrak wrote:Ghosts 'n Goblins
From Wiki:
The player can only be hit twice before losing a life.

Not strictly true. If you have been hit once (and therefore have no armour), in certain spots you can get another suit of armour if you know what to do (usually jumping through a particular piece of air). You also get a new suit of armour at the end of each level.
scarletmanuka

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly was similar. I didn't play through it long enough to see if it got any better, but you started the game with two hit points. After death, you restarted with one.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.
'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby rpgamer » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:22 am UTC

pigslookfunny wrote:Anybody who's played Sonic 3 knows that the real Sonic Hell is going through Carnival Night Zone Act 2 and not knowing you can move that barrel by pushing up and down.

It took me so long to figure that out. :(
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
rpgamer

Postby PerryDigital » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

These were most excellent. I loved the comic, and then I loved all these various iterations of Tetris. Nice one.
I stole the sun and it's raining outside. I stole the sun and I ain't givin' him to anyone.
PerryDigital

Postby logixoul » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Platypodes wrote:
Spoiler:
tetorisart.PNG

My new wallpaper.
logixoul

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:Bart Simpson's Escape From Camp Deadly was similar. I didn't play through it long enough to see if it got any better, but you started the game with two hit points. After death, you restarted with one.
Oh, you can pick up more fairly easily. I got to be quite proficient at that game as a lad; it's not half as awful as Bart vs the Space Mutants (though it's also not nearly as creative).
Jorpho

Postby Blackjack » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

jeremyjw wrote:World of Warcraft where the endgame requires you to group with 24 over-caffeinated prepubescents with A.D.D.
...oh wait...

ANAL [Slam]
ANAL [Mutilate]

More on topic to the comic- when I first saw it, my screen resolution cut off the bottom, so I just saw the title at the top and the top half of the comic. Then I scroll down and "...oh fraaaak." I didn't even laugh, I just felt the nightmare. Randall, you've done it again.
Blackjack

Postby al3 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:23 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Zhatt wrote:Since we're all posting our Tetris clones, the comic reminds me of Triptych by Chonic Logic. The pieces are "squishy", so even on the level the comic has, you could squeeze the pieces together!
I was about to mention that! It is far more apropos than Bastet.

I joined the forums to mention Triptych. Oh well :D
al3

Postby dejan555 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:11 pm UTC

I looked thru the thread and didn't find link to this one, another version made from the comic:
http://www.swfme.com/view/1046212

****Max lolage****
dejan555

Postby NeoTechni » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Yeah, someone should make tetris with a physics engine just to fuck with people. Although to my mind, tetris hell is just like ordinary tetris, but the blocks alternate between s blocks and z blocks.

Such a game exists on PS3. Trash something or other
NeoTechni

Postby aylalalalalala » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 am UTC

it wasn't hell but it was freaking entertaining to play... maybe i just like a challenge, even an impossible one, thanks kaolin fire XD ... and that first person tetris is epically entertaining also. thanks randall and XKCD comic forum, best one in a while for entertainment value XD
If you were a guitar... I'd pluck you
aylalalalalala

Postby Kapitän » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:46 am UTC

I really liked this comic. I've seen many variations of Tetris but I have never seen anything like that! Haha!

I have tried Bastet on Xubuntu and I first thought it wasn't working.. But I was wrong. I hate that game but at the same time I love it.
Kapitän

Postby Rakelnahe » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Of course it had to happen.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/banthar/hell-tetris

Top score so far is 12 lines... I'm still to get one.
Rakelnahe

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

I'd like to see Tetris combined with Bejeweled Blitz.
ImageImage
TheChewanater

Postby Ool » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

As far as I'm concerned even normal Tetris is Hell. It's a game you cannot win. You can just keep playing and experience it becoming harder and harder until it's eventually so fast that you'll fail no matter what.

That's Hell in my book. No round bottom required...
Ool

Postby TheChewanater » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

I'm now working on two-column Tetris. I want to see if it's easier or harder. Surely points can be scored faster, but it's two points per row instead of ten, and it's easy to get empty spaces you can't remove.

Ool wrote:You can just keep playing and experience it becoming harder and harder until it's eventually so fast that you'll fail no matter what.

Spoiler:
how_it_happened.png
how_it_happened.png (7.37 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
ImageImage
TheChewanater

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 am UTC

TheChewanater wrote:I'm now working on two-column Tetris. I want to see if it's easier or harder. Surely points can be scored faster, but it's two points per row instead of ten, and it's easy to get empty spaces you can't remove.
That be really hard unless you can rotate 180o. :( Also, if you want to try playing with four columns it's an option on Lockjaw.

TheChewanater wrote:
Ool wrote:You can just keep playing and experience it becoming harder and harder until it's eventually so fast that you'll fail no matter what.

Spoiler:
how_it_happened.png
:roll:
Online Etymology Dictionary wrote:gaol:
see jail, you tea-sodden football hooligan.
Magnanimous

Postby TheChewanater » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
TheChewanater wrote:I'm now working on two-column Tetris. I want to see if it's easier or harder. Surely points can be scored faster, but it's two points per row instead of ten, and it's easy to get empty spaces you can't remove.
That be really hard unless you can rotate 180o. :( Also, if you want to try playing with four columns it's an option on Lockjaw.

I plan to have it let you vertically flip pieces by pressing up.

Also, playing normal Tetris seems too easy after playing all these messed up ones. I wonder if there's one that tries to let you win by giving you the ideal tetrominoes.
ImageImage
TheChewanater

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads