0728: "iPad"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

memcginn

0728: "iPad"

Postby memcginn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:05 am UTC

Alt text: "Maybe we're all gonna die, but we're gonna die in *really cool ways*."

http://xkcd.com/728/

I've read about the neural monkeys. Honestly, I do think that's WAY cooler than the iPad.

Especially considering surfacing tales of iPad buyer's remorse.

Also, first comic thread for me. Hope I was fast enough!
while (!spoon) {
fork();
}

Nintendon't

Re: "iPad" discussion

Postby Nintendon't » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Is it just me, or does Megan look super different?

Edit: ...unless that's not her :o

oblivimous

Postby oblivimous » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:07 am UTC

There are, right now, monkeys controlling robotic arms via neural implants.

Pics or it didn't happen.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Especially considering surfacing tales of iPad buyer's remorse.

No! Really? I would never have imagined buyer's remorse over a product as obviously innovative as the iPad!

</sarcasm>

Anyways, yeah, the future is now.

Also: how did black-hair girl get the name megan?
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:09 am UTC

This is the first time the small-caps in the comic title have stuck out to me.
wee free kings

richdun

Postby richdun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:12 am UTC

Damn, missed the post by that much.

That's what I get for trying to post it using an iPad. Had to cheat and view the title text on a different computer. Amazingly, though, the image URL copying made putting the post together very easy.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:13 am UTC

I dunno... I really like my iPad mini. :)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Nintendon't wrote:Is it just me, or does Megan look super different?

It's that she's looking downwards, makes her hair part differently which is the only distinguishing feature anyone in the comic has.

Is anyone else disappointed in the trend in naming things? Science fiction stories lead me to believe we'd be getting new technology with descriptive, elaborate names we'd get to come up with clever nicknames for. Instead we have all these increasingly short and awkward names, tweets, droid, iPod (still trying to figure out what the hell a Pod is).

Halrandir

Postby Halrandir » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:17 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I dunno... I really like my iPad mini. :)

lol, iPad mini ftw! Except I wish it was a bit more like ATT's iPad mini, not being able to access the internet from anywhere is getting to be a bit of a pain.

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:25 am UTC

Well, there is theiPad mini with 3G!

Palpatineli

Postby Palpatineli » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 am UTC

oblivimous wrote:
There are, right now, monkeys controlling robotic arms via neural implants.

Pics or it didn't happen.

And something even cooler than that:
the above result was acquired using inferred imaging of the visual cortex.

Though honestly, we really don't know much about how this works. These are just statistical results currently.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:27 am UTC

Fuckin' cyborgs, man. It's coming. I hate government waste, but if, once this has been perfected, the government proposed offering free taxpayer-funded cybernetic limbs to every amputee and handicapped person in the US, I'd vote for that shit SO HARD.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:29 am UTC

The future may be now, but it will still be many years before it's really here. Where is my teleport or flying car?

Also: iPad suxorz.
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:31 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:

It's that she's looking downwards, makes her hair part differently which is the only distinguishing feature anyone in the comic has.

Is anyone else disappointed in the trend in naming things? Science fiction stories lead me to believe we'd be getting new technology with descriptive, elaborate names we'd get to come up with clever nicknames for. Instead we have all these increasingly short and awkward names, tweets, droid, iPod (still trying to figure out what the hell a Pod is).

~Gasp~ you didn't get the tweet that she cut her hair!! Or was she cutting the rope she tied BHG up with... no one will conquer the world with robotic monkeys before her.

demadaha

Postby demadaha » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:36 am UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Fuckin' cyborgs, man. It's coming. I hate government waste, but if, once this has been perfected, the government proposed offering free taxpayer-funded cybernetic limbs to every amputee and handicapped person in the US, I'd vote for that shit SO HARD.

If that came to pass I think a lot of people would suddenly be in industrial accidents that cause loss of limb.

And I think that I might be one of them, totally by accident of course.
Warning: Post may contain lame, overused reference.
That's no reference! It's a space station!

JayAr

Postby JayAr » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Palpatineli wrote:Image
the above result was acquired using inferred imaging of the visual cortex.

Though honestly, we really don't know much about how this works. These are just statistical results currently.

I knew about the monkey (Thanks Discover!) but the images shown there are quite creepy, I also know that we can check to see if someone is thinking about airplanes (but the images are entirely different).

This comic reminds me that some people think that the IPhone was the first device with a touch-screen :cry: . Not much to add though.
nyeguy wrote:Bacon isn't a sin. It clogs your arteries and brings you to god faster.

I actually truly failed the Turing Test

praisethelord?

Postby praisethelord? » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:42 am UTC

My cousin (George Fraser) actually does the implementation and experimentation. He works in a lab in Pittsburgh.

First post by the way. Hi forums!

Balesk Baj, Timeburner
Location: Wherever parallel dimension I'm currently living in...

Postby Balesk Baj, Timeburner » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:48 am UTC

JayAr wrote:This comic reminds me that some people think that the IPhone was the first device with a touch-screen :cry: . Not much to add though.

Have they been hiding under a technology-repellent rock all these years?

I wonder how we will die "in a cool way" in the future...
Magnanimous wrote:I'd have a giant I Tetris piece shoved down my throat, after which my neck will flash and disappear.

sourmìlk
If I can't complain, can I at least express my fear?

Postby sourmìlk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:54 am UTC

Randomness wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:

~Gasp~ you didn't get the tweet that she cut her hair!! Or was she cutting the rope she tied BHG up with... no one will conquer the world with robotic monkeys before her.

Alright, I just created a twitter account. It's open, so anybody can post on her for now.

The password is XKCDmegan1
the username is meganXKCD

twitter.com/meganxkcd

EDIT: I killed the thread D:
Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

AKirkland

Postby AKirkland » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:41 am UTC

Not many people think the iPhone was the first device with a touch screen (honestly, not many people care which one came first), they just think it's the *best* device with a touch screen. And while that's debatable, you can't deny that it's a pretty damn sexy device. The iPad will probably be similarly sexy, if it isn't now, in a couple of years when it's had a few hardware and software revisions and upgrades.

Why does everyone want a flying car? Alright, sorry, that's a stupid question, I really want one too, but they wouldn't be quite the most practical device. Massive energy wastage, which we can't afford (flying will never be more efficient than the wheel for most circumstances) and they would be hugely unsafe.

Also, that reconstructed visual cortex image freaks me out a bit. I hate future-fearers as much as the next guy, but there is something slightly disturbing about having the ability to observe someone else's thoughts.

CyberCod

Postby CyberCod » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 am UTC

I for one am thankful that the iPad is coming out simply because the tablet PCs that have been on the market for 10 years or so have all sucked ballz and they've been way too expensive. Apple brings out the iPad, a million knock-offs surface, and before you know it, I'll be picking up a touchscreen tablet pc in a pawn shop for $100, throwin Linux on it, and having a helluva lot of fun with it.

As for the iPad itself, no thanks.

Mancho

Postby Mancho » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:33 am UTC

AKirkland wrote:Not many people think the iPhone was the first device with a touch screen (honestly, not many people care which one came first), they just think it's the *best* device with a touch screen. And while that's debatable, you can't deny that it's a pretty damn sexy device. The iPad will probably be similarly sexy, if it isn't now, in a couple of years when it's had a few hardware and software revisions and upgrades.

I think you overestimate people's intelligence. I work with some extremely intelligent people, yet for many of them, if I ask what internet browser they use, you'd think I asked a third-grader to explain general relativity.

AKirkland wrote:Why does everyone want a flying car? Alright, sorry, that's a stupid question, I really want one too, but they wouldn't be quite the most practical device. Massive energy wastage, which we can't afford (flying will never be more efficient than the wheel for most circumstances) and they would be hugely unsafe.

I used to think that the whole flying car thing would work itself out when artificial intelligence was far enough along to allow vehicles to drive themselves. Then I realized that, right now, I constantly see people running out of gas in the middle of a city that has gas stations everywhere. Also, people can be pretty bad about car maintenance. Someone flying their old beat-ass clunker over my house doesn't make me eager for the day when flying cars come to be.

syko_lozz

Postby syko_lozz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 am UTC

AKirkland wrote:there is something slightly disturbing about having the ability to observe someone else's thoughts.

true, but this is hardly what this is!! When light projects onto the retina like a screen, it is picked up by nerves, which transmit the info to the visual cortex directly (if I knew anything about camera CCDs I'm sure I could analogize) Its not surprising (cool, but not surprising) that basic contrast info can be determined from the nerve impulses in that area.

Thoughts, however, are COMPLETELY different and even if we understood how they worked (which we really dont) its unlikely to be something that is similar enough from person to person to be able to "read" in any way.
Debate politics with a fern. If you lose, refuse to water it.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:18 am UTC

News flash:
$500 consumer items are less technologically advanced than really prototypes in cutting edge scientific research.
In other news, the Tesla Roadster is less technologically advanced than the LHC.
Stop the fucking presses!
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

tagno25

Postby tagno25 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:22 am UTC

syko_lozz wrote:true, but this is hardly what this is!! When light projects onto the retina like a screen, it is picked up by nerves, which transmit the info to the visual cortex directly (if I knew anything about camera CCDs I'm sure I could analogize) Its not surprising (cool, but not surprising) that basic contrast info can be determined from the nerve impulses in that area.

It is like reading the image when it comes out of the CCD, but before it goes to the processor to be converted into an image. Either that or looking at the raw image before it is encoded into a specific format.

entropic

Postby entropic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 am UTC

does anyone know how much interpretation was needed for the visual cortex scan? also can anyone link the "thinking about aeroplanes" story?

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 am UTC

Actually, yesterday I saw a way better example of future technology that is available now. It actually made me go 'Wow, that's like one of those technologies that we hope to achieve in 20 years!'
Anyway, talking about the content aware fill. The research-oriented video is here (link). The cool thing is, this is integrated into photoshop CS5, which was released the 12th of April :)
Here's a video of the photoshop implementation (link).

entropic wrote:does anyone know how much interpretation was needed for the visual cortex scan?
As far as I know, they showed them the individual 'pixels' first, and then recorded the brain activity. Then, when multiple pixels are turned on (making a letter or something), a statistical analysis was made to determine which brain activity modes were seen, and thus which pixels. This is all IIRC, you might wanna read the paper or something for verification.

funda

Postby funda » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:40 am UTC

a few more practical examples of how to use the CS5 content aware fill feature, and we think that you'll find them both very useful and very awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0

It's not a rickroll, I can assure you that.

:lol: :lol:
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

Keand64

Postby Keand64 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:55 am UTC

syko_lozz wrote:Thoughts, however, are COMPLETELY different and even if we understood how they worked (which we really dont) its unlikely to be something that is similar enough from person to person to be able to "read" in any way.

Actually, even if it will never be possible to `read` per se peoples thoughts, because we know how certain parts of the brain do certain things, eventually we might be able to narrow these down enough to... do cool things with. I think the most useful uses would be things like erasing traumatic memories or nightmares and things like that (the idea being if a memory is strong enough to cause a significant disturbance in ones life, it probably has a very strong signal within the brain, as opposed to a simple memory that might have a very small and hidden signal).
CorruptUser wrote:That's how the robots will takeover. Sentient spambots.

In the future, man will be required by law to enlarge his penis and use vicodin, and on occasion, donate $5000 to a Nigerian.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am UTC

M.qrius wrote:Actually, yesterday I saw a way better example of future technology that is available now. It actually made me go 'Wow, that's like one of those technologies that we hope to achieve in 20 years!'
Anyway, talking about the content aware fill. The research-oriented video is here (link). The cool thing is, this is integrated into photoshop CS5, which was released the 12th of April :)
Here's a video of the photoshop implementation (link).

I can't wait for Adobe's new WatermarkRemovalShop!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:36 am UTC

My first legitimate "Randall get out of my head" moment.

I always get so excited when I think about the future. So many awesome things will become possible.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

jacog

Postby jacog » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:51 am UTC

folkhero wrote:News flash:
$500 consumer items are less technologically advanced than really prototypes in cutting edge scientific research.
In other news, the Tesla Roadster is less technologically advanced than the LHC.
Stop the fucking presses!

Now you are just being an obnoxious git for no good reason. In the case of the iPad, there were consumer products long before it that were as "cutting edge", and at present, products that are moreseso. (Well, depending on how you choose to measure cutting-edge)

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

You know what's even more bizarre to think about? Things will eventually get old.
IPods, ear-buds, the whole apple look, it will eventually look dated and old fashioned.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:19 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:You know what's even more bizarre to think about? Things will eventually get old.
IPods, ear-buds, the whole apple look, it will eventually look dated and old fashioned.
The year is 2040 Mac has just released - the iPad - Retro, tagline - "...That's right. We're bringin' it back!"

I do not get the draw of the iPad, it's like this...but real...and that horrifies me a little. Ok so it's not really like that...mostly I'm just jealous because I'm poor... and all Randall has to do is be funny three times a week...and find a way to market that...why do I spend money on your t-shirts? I should be saving up for working computer. Right now my lap top has to be hooked to a monitor, cuz like an ass, I finally knocked it off my bed the other day after five years (yeah I have the same computer my dad bought me as a graduation present five years ago). Did I mention I only made $10,300 last year? Woo ecconomy! I'm surprised I'm not dead in a gutter in Lynn somewhere too. (actually I spend money on your t-shirts because they make awesome gifts, and I'm on a budget) On the bright side I should accept at this point that I'd make more money as a starving artist, and just go that route.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

I heard it actually IS possible to print with the Ipad.

Spoiler:
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:I heard it actually IS possible to print with the Ipad.

Spoiler:
Oye.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

littlelj

Postby littlelj » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't get the Apple hysteria. But I totally agree with CyberCod:
CyberCod wrote:I for one am thankful that the iPad is coming out simply because the tablet PCs that have been on the market for 10 years or so have all sucked ballz and they've been way too expensive. Apple brings out the iPad, a million knock-offs surface, and before you know it, I'll be picking up a touchscreen tablet pc in a pawn shop for $100, throwin Linux on it, and having a helluva lot of fun with it [...] As for the iPad itself, no thanks.

Funnily enough I got sent an e-mail about the iPad this morning. For those of you who aren't aware, we in the UK are about to have a general election. Since we have local constituency representation which then adds up to make a government, we often get local independents making a single point. Mad Cap'n Tom (UK coordinator of Talk Like A Pirate Day) has six points in his manifesto, one of which is

Require Apple to rename the iPad in the UK.
New name: the iPatch.

http://www.madcapntom.co.uk/

So chortle several times.

Dasboard wrote: I heard it actually IS possible to print with the Ipad.
<utterly brilliant image>

:mrgreen:
Dudes, I'm a woman.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm UTC

Wouldn't the glossy screen be a problem? Not to downplay the brilliance, might be more economical than trying to get my friggin' dell printer to cooperate with my friggin dell laptop...

I think I feel about the iPad similarly to how I felt about Windows Vista: I bet the thing that comes out next will be good.
I mean, it's a cool niche for them to be settin' up, even if this particular product doesn't impress me much.

rnbguru

Postby rnbguru » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

Haha, yea I can't say I'm surprised by iPad buyers remorse.

Still, I didn't find this comic all that effective. I guess it was too easy a target.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

Re: flying cars.

Flying cars already exist, and you too can buy one. Getting a license to fly it it also much easier than getting a licence to fly a 'plane or 'copter because if it stalls it just glides down slowly.

Also: Jetpacks.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”