0736: "Cemetery"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0736: "Cemetery"

Postby LucasBrown » Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 am UTC

"Three headstones down, I got a call from my mom and it went from bad to worse."
Last edited by LucasBrown on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Otaku4399

Re: "Cemetery" discusstion

Postby Otaku4399 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:57 am UTC

Ive never seen a comic without an alt-text :cry:
Yeah it took me a sec but I can see how this would be funny to watch.

edit*
wow that came up fast. :D

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed May 05, 2010 4:00 am UTC

For some reason, I can't read the mouseover...For a second there, I thought logic had abandonde this world and felt myself sink in a bottomless pit of chaos...Then I read it here and thought "heh, that's funny!"

Good comic
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:05 am UTC

-.Mateo.- wrote:For some reason, I can't read the mouseover...For a second there, I thought logic had abandonde this world and felt myself sink in a bottomless pit of chaos...Then I read it here and thought "heh, that's funny!"

Good comic

He's screwing with us again :wink:

LucasBrown

Postby LucasBrown » Wed May 05, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Otaku4399 wrote:wow that came up fast. :D

I was lying in wait.
Otaku4399 wrote:Ive never seen a comic without an alt-text :cry:

Initially, the alt-text was missing; it appeared after a minute or so.

Nintendon't

Postby Nintendon't » Wed May 05, 2010 4:10 am UTC

Goooooood comic.
Kudos, Randall.

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Wed May 05, 2010 4:13 am UTC

My grandmother got ill last week, and my mom seems certain she's going to die in her sleep tonight.

Still, I smiled when I read this comic.

Дерсу Узала

Postby Дерсу Узала » Wed May 05, 2010 4:14 am UTC

I was excited that he silenced the title text in respect for those who died in the making of that comic, but then, I guess it was just a moment of silence.

squareroot

Postby squareroot » Wed May 05, 2010 4:17 am UTC

^Sorry. :-(

A great comic! It's strange when you here some talking to nothing, or seeming to yell at some innocent bystander, before you realize they're on thephone. This is what we want more of, Randall!
<signature content="" style="tag:html;" overused meta />
Good fucking job Will Yu, you found me - __ -

Otaku4399

Postby Otaku4399 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Kaelin wrote:My grandmother got ill last week, and my mom seems certain she's going to die in her sleep tonight.

Still, I smiled when I read this comic.

sorry, I hope she gets better :(

on second thoughts I wonder how the conversation with his mom went, maybe something involving flowers, but that would just make him sound cruel from a distance.

Zhatt

Postby Zhatt » Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 am UTC

At first I thought this was about some sort of ultimate revenge: a comic-sans engraving on your most hated typographers tombstone.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Wed May 05, 2010 4:26 am UTC

Otaku4399 wrote:on second thoughts I wonder how the conversation with his mom went, maybe something involving flowers, but that would just make him sound cruel from a distance.

Well, I imagined the guy talking to what seems to be his mother's grave, then, he starts to ANSWER, and maybe even COMPLAIN. (maybe something like "What's that? No mum, I won't do that! get off my back!")
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

pokoleo

Postby pokoleo » Wed May 05, 2010 4:37 am UTC

Great comic.

We need some sort of chart Randall-Style.

How long it took me to get yelled at. v.s. frequency

GET ON IT.

jks.

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 am UTC

A reference to the dearly departed f8d? http://f8d.org/?c=1
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Omegaton

Postby Omegaton » Wed May 05, 2010 5:12 am UTC

The first appropriate font I thought of was HumorSans.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed May 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Due to my browser window being small, it took me a moment to see the bottom part of the text, so I got the full effect of the misunderstanding.
Pretty good one :D
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

katakombe

Postby katakombe » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 am UTC

usually cemetaries make me sad. but this comic is great, and made me laugh, and reminded me of what people must think when they only hear my end of my usual conversations with my mum. wow.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed May 05, 2010 6:30 am UTC

what's more confusing is what they are arguing about.

And when you talk about cemetery, it's a visit where we get to play with candles! And I love fire.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed May 05, 2010 6:35 am UTC

Damn it, now I have Architecture in Helsinki - The Cemetery going through my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJSvoFXclo ( i think, may be a live version, can't check from work :<)

HI JOEE

tastelikecoke wrote:what's more confusing is what they are arguing about.

Client vs Web designer, Art Director vs Pleb, there are a few possibilities
Then again, I do read a lot of 'notalwaysright' and 'clientcopia' and 'clientsfromhell', so I may be biased.

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 am UTC

Thank you for the sympathy. Still, she's 91 and has been dealing with significant health problems (starting with a quad bypass 16 years ago) and been hospitalized many times since, and each time she's fended off death (on at least a couple occasions her prognosis was not good). Even before getting sick, she's had trouble keeping weight on the last couple years, and she had a fall a few days ago, and it's sort of at the point where it's getting prohibitively difficult on her (for a while she's been using an air supply at night and using a wheelchair to move herself around, and for years she's been dealing with meds that may or may not be worth the side effects). She is also miserable in a hospital (who isn't?), and she just as much needs to stay out of nursing homes.

I have been seeing her about once a week (for a couple/few hours) pretty solidly for about five years now. I have had plenty of opportunities to hear stories and have conversations, and offer a token level of practical support (fetching a meal, walking her dog, grab a handful of things for her).

I hope she gets better, but it's not going to be tragic if she doesn't. She's lived through more than her fair share of tragedy (lost a child at a young age and in her younger 50s lost her husband to MS that seemed to be triggered by contaminated water he consumed during WWII). She's seen three grandkids get married (the other two, myself included, are not about to get hitched any time soon) and has four great-grandkids. She's made some mistakes in her life, but she has also made some tough decisions and done some great things (she helped put all her grandkids through college, something she did not have the opportunity to do herself). I've learned about as much as I can hope to from her, and I've been lucky to have had as much time as I have had. I am grateful for her, but I am also at ease.

And my own morbid sense of humor, plus Randall's touch, still allows me to smile at this strip.

BlogosphereMan

Postby BlogosphereMan » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 am UTC

Zhatt wrote:At first I thought this was about some sort of ultimate revenge: a comic-sans engraving on your most hated typographers tombstone.

I thought so too at first :))

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed May 05, 2010 9:40 am UTC

The funniest thing I saw with a hands free headset, was someone walking up to me. He said "Hi, how you doing?" Being polite, although not having a clue who he was, I thought I say "fine and how about you? (who are you?)". Thankfully before I got a chance to he said "I'm fine to, so do you wish to..." and it became obvious he was on a hands free kit, and just had the bad habit of looking at other people, or walking in their direction while talking. :lol:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed May 05, 2010 10:36 am UTC

I've got five bucks for the first person to do this in real life and videotaping it.

tastelikecoke

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed May 05, 2010 11:04 am UTC

glasntic acid wrote:
tastelikecoke wrote:what's more confusing is what they are arguing about.

Client vs Web designer, Art Director vs Pleb, there are a few possibilities

I thought it was about typography geeks fighting over their fonts.

joee

Postby joee » Wed May 05, 2010 11:10 am UTC

What about at the bedside of a gravely ill person? I have this nagging feeling that there's probably worse places, but my creativity is sapped tonight.

HI GLASNT
Hi glasnt.

gelatinskeleton

Postby gelatinskeleton » Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 am UTC

And I've discovered that the worst place to read XKCD is school. I literally laughed out loud, and people looked at me funny.

natey

Postby natey » Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 am UTC

I would have liked more panels on this one... wait, he's been making a lot of 1-panel comics, is he on a budget again?
http://xkcd.com/521/

xepher

Postby xepher » Wed May 05, 2010 12:33 pm UTC

Zhatt wrote:At first I thought this was about some sort of ultimate revenge: a comic-sans engraving on your most hated typographers tombstone.

Same here.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed May 05, 2010 1:03 pm UTC

natey wrote:I would have liked more panels on this one... wait, he's been making a lot of 1-panel comics, is he on a budget again?
http://xkcd.com/521/

lol

Great gomic btw.

Isaac20

Postby Isaac20 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Oh wow, I may be a terrible person for this, but this is the hardest I've laughed at xkcd in a long while.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Wed May 05, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

I love the subtle details in the background, like the mother holding her hand over the child's eyes. :)

Pretty great comic this time! :)

MarkSmash

Postby MarkSmash » Wed May 05, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

It is kind of creepy, though the opposite is no less so.

I was walking in the park in San Francisco when this scruffy bearded man with a hand to his ear was arguing vociferously with someone. I overheard him repeating, "Shut up!, Shut up!" quite angrily.

The creepy part was when I noticed that he had nothing in his hands and that he was arguing with the voices in his head.

Though, with the size of cell phones getting smaller, the chances of ingesting one or getting one surgically implanted is increasing. Maybe we'll all end up like that guy.

"Shut up!, Shut up!"

thelandlord

Postby thelandlord » Wed May 05, 2010 3:00 pm UTC

This comic is so good it's just prompted me to join up and make my first post here!

I had no idea it was possible to cram so much win into so few frames... pure genius. :D

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed May 05, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

:-D Awesome.

Grave stones have fonts, and you know font geeks will get picky about how they want their eternal kerning. So the conversation almost makes sense, aside from the tense of person.
"yes dad, yes I know you wanted Arial, but mom insisted on something with little more flair...well you shouldn't have had your tie so close to the industrial printer head!"
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Pesto

Postby Pesto » Wed May 05, 2010 5:06 pm UTC

This comic makes me a little sad. I just got back from a trip for my grandma's funeral. :(

I also got to visit my other grandparents' graves, but it was good to see my extended family. I hadn't seen some of them in 25 years.

PeteThePessimist

Postby PeteThePessimist » Wed May 05, 2010 5:29 pm UTC

You know, that's funny, because I just got a call from your mom too! She's so clingy.

Ephemeron

Postby Ephemeron » Wed May 05, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

BlogosphereMan wrote:

I thought so too at first :))

Here you go, guys

SteveStein

Postby SteveStein » Wed May 05, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

This comic puts me in mind of the gravesite of e.e. cummings in the Forest Hills Cemetery in Boston.
His stone is set in upper case. Bothers me, but I hope he rests in peace.

teko

Postby teko » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm UTC

Oh god, I just had that font conversation yesterday with my coworker yesterday.

And I still didn't get my sans-serif texts!

rdm_box

Postby rdm_box » Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:The funniest thing I saw with a hands free headset, was someone walking up to me. He said "Hi, how you doing?" Being polite, although not having a clue who he was, I thought I say "fine and how about you? (who are you?)". Thankfully before I got a chance to he said "I'm fine to, so do you wish to..." and it became obvious he was on a hands free kit, and just had the bad habit of looking at other people, or walking in their direction while talking. :lol:

I'm surprised no-one has linked to this yet
Regards,

-rdm_box

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”