Metal

It's only cool if no one's heard of it.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Postby chrispy1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:42 am UTC

although not really "Metal" in the present day's sense, I need to put here Inna Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly. It has one of the most amazing drum solos ever.

Edited cuz well I made a mistake.
Also, to add this from wikipedia:

"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is a seventeen-minute rock song by Iron Butterfly, released on their 1968 album In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, occupying the entire second side of the album. The lyrics are simple, and heard only at the beginning and the end. One of the most memorable parts of the song is the guitar riff, which is also one of the most recognizable guitar riffs in rock music. In almost all of Doug Ingle's other songs, the guitar part was subordinate or equal to the keyboard part, however "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" is a rare exception to this, as the song's chorus is centered around the guitar's distorted riff.
Narsil wrote:For the record, I am not:
b)obsessed with penii, I just have bad luck and they follow me everywh...

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.
chrispy1

Postby refreshingapathy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:57 am UTC

I have that LP at the radio station I'm Ops Manager for... it's in pretty good shape, except for one part during the drum solo where it skips. I once played it skipping for a whole minute before someone called in and asked if the record was skipping. I thought it would be longer than that... but no, it is a GREAT drum solo.
refreshingapathy

Postby Koeppi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Oh, a metal thread, hello there....

I'm into pretty much every kind of metal apart from the nu-metal and metalcore stuff.

I can fully second the Primoridal recommendation, fantastic, highly unique band with really good lyrics for this genre of music. Check out 'Gods to the Godless'

Some other favourites:

The Crown - think Slayer, Motörhead and Venom got toghether, did a shitload of cocain and decided to play death metal.
Nagelfar (not to be confused with Naglfar) - the best Black metal band ever. Period.
Summoning - Ambient Black Metal with cheesy keyboard, drenched in Lord of the Rings lyrics. Chillout stuff.
Koeppi

Postby chrispy1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Hey Koeppi! Welcome to the thread and to the fora...

I'm a huge fan (as many here are) of Rammstein and I've recently discovered Eisbrecher and Megaherz. (I'm also a huge fan of subway to sally...). I don't speak any German, but I really like these bands for the rhythm of the words and the music. Could you recommend German bandsd that are similar? Really appreciate it man!
Take care and look forward to seeing you around.......
Chris

SpitValve wrote:And as for Optimus being influenced by Buddhism, I severly doubt it.
chrispy1

Postby Koeppi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:19 am UTC

Hi chrispy,

I'm not really into the industrial music played by Rammstein, so I don't really know if there are many similar bands.
You might want to check out Megaherz ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3cfg6TWJw )
and perhaps Laibach (more like elektro afaik, but similar vocal style) ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=6l2UQXAVK8Y )

Also check out Ministry if you don't know them:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJ1YHoaVfYI

If you like Subway you might be interested in In Extremo or Schandmaul.
Insert quote from awesome scientist here.
Koeppi

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:36 am UTC

I have tried Dragonforce. I do not approve.

The Crown is a lot of fun - I listen to a lot of metal, but Crowned in Terror is one of the few genuinely 'angry' albums I listen to. For fighting moods only :)

Nagelfar - I have a few songs, not overly impressed, though. Is there a particular album I should hear?

Naglfar, on the other hand, I rather like, particularly their first album (when they were just a straight up Dissection clone).

I love Summoning - I think somehow they manage to transcend their cheesiness and just be excellent. Which is a serious feat, considering how ridiculous their subject matter and approach is ;)

Further thoughts: Rammstein fans should really get to know Laibach, even if only for historic reasons.
Also, I have now dl'ed and listened to Wintersun - Wintersun, and I'm quite impressed. It's not something I will listen to a lot, I don't think - has that whole power/speed thing going on, like Children of Bodom, who are a band I enjoy, but only in small doses. Still, very good. Cheers for the recommendation!
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
liza wrote:When life gives you a wife made of salt, make margaritas?
Dance like you're stamping on a human face forever.
damienthebloody
the most metal thing EVER

Postby refreshingapathy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:50 am UTC

I'm curious, what don't you like about DragonForce? Is it just a generic power metal thing or what?

I personally don't mind them. They're not a favorite, but sometimes just listening to the shredding of the guitars makes me want to practice instruments more (motivation = good).
refreshingapathy

Postby damienthebloody » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:15 am UTC

I don't have a lot of time for power metal in general, although some bands can cross that line for me - for example, I seriously love Blind Guardian, and will listen to early Children of Bodom for similar reasons. I suppose I was hoping for something on a similar level - the impression that I was given is that they are brilliant songs with over the top technicality and so on, which sounded marvellous. And this was true, except for the brilliant songs part - I was expecting to enjoy myself, but instead found it grating and shallow.

Maybe I should give them another chance, but I suspect that with a band of that style, either you love them straight away, or you hate them straight away, and there's not a lot of shifting of positions.
German Sausage wrote:Is that an EMP in your pants, or are you just outraged by my sexist behaviour?
damienthebloody

Postby Bondolon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:16 am UTC

refreshingapathy wrote:I love them.

Half because I have Sunn amps, half because they're awesome.
Check out a band on myspace called laggadrone (there may be an additional "d" in there, I forget). Very well done drone metal.

Boris is good too.

I'd say Boris is so damned good because they have the ability to branch out into almost every subgenre of metal and do it well.
Bondolon

Postby Koeppi » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:47 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote: [...]
Nagelfar - I have a few songs, not overly impressed, though. Is there a particular album I should hear?
[...]

Well, their last one, Virus West, is the most 'generic' album they did I think.
'Meuterei' is an awesome track.
Their first one, Hühnengrab im Herbst is a bit folky in tone, rather depressive vocals.
The middle one, Srontgorrth, is the strangest one I would say, a lot of samples and EBM influences.
I'd recommend Virus West for sheer brutality but my friends would suggest Hühnengrab.

Keep an eye open for the new Wintersun album as well, they cancelled it several times but I expect a release in spring '08 (hopefully).

I don't get the whole drone stuff, the guys at ruthlessreviesw.com recommended Sunn O))) and Boris to me a while ago but I totally don't get it.
I suppose Sunn could be kind of cool when they're playing live, but I really can't enjoy their albums.

Anyway, I'm off to go to 'Zabbaduschder Open Air' (Zabbaduschder is swabian dialect for pitch black).
It's really cheap and they got Dismember to headline this year.
Also they got Negura Bunget from Romania, a really strange Pagan/BM act.
Worth a listen.
Koeppi

Postby chrispy1 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:10 am UTC

Koeppi wrote:Hi chrispy,

I'm not really into the industrial music played by Rammstein, so I don't really know if there are many similar bands.
You might want to check out Megaherz ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ez3cfg6TWJw )
and perhaps Laibach (more like elektro afaik, but similar vocal style) ( http://youtube.com/watch?v=6l2UQXAVK8Y )

Also check out Ministry if you don't know them:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qJ1YHoaVfYI

If you like Subway you might be interested in In Extremo or Schandmaul.

I've heard about InExtremo a couple of days ago, and still looking for some of their stuff. I've never heard of Schandmaul but will start the hunt for them as well! I think Ministry's A Mind Is A Terrible Thing to Taste is *awesome*.
Laibach sounds interesting - will see if i can find anything by them as well....

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!
Chris

chrispy1

Postby Jadestone » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:59 am UTC

Ooh, metal.

I just got into it not to long ago, so I'm still looking into bands and such.
I really like Folk Metal, though.

I have stuff by Elvenking, Amon Amarth, Helloween, Kamelot, Korpiklaani, Falconer, Moonsorrow, and I like what I've heard of Eluveitie but I don't have any songs by them.

The funny thing is I got into it simpl by chance; a guy I barely know (can't even say his last name, though it is rather impossible) gave me an Elvenking cd when the other girl (his friend) I was working with durring bio didn't want it. Best thing that happened to me that year, I believe.
Kokopelli for President

"Life's a beach. Then you die." -Terry Prattchet

"We are all of us alone in this world."
Jadestone

Postby arrgh406 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:16 am UTC

i have pretty odd musical tastes, eclectic, if i do say so myself.

marilyn manson
rammstein
the aquabats ( at the troc aug 24th)
franz ferdinand
they might be giants
halo 2 ost
arrgh406

Postby damienthebloody » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:16 am UTC

Koeppi wrote:
damienthebloody wrote: [...]
[...]
Well, their last one, Virus West, is the most 'generic' album they did I think.
'Meuterei' is an awesome track.
Their first one, Hühnengrab im Herbst is a bit folky in tone, rather depressive vocals.
The middle one, Srontgorrth, is the strangest one I would say, a lot of samples and EBM influences.
I'd recommend Virus West for sheer brutality but my friends would suggest Hühnengrab.

The songs I have are all off Hühnengrab im Herbst, and i'm listening to them again...Thinking maybe I should give them another chance. So far, though, it seems pretty generic to me, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. I'll investigate further, I think. (actually, I'm now listening to the song 'Schwanengesang', and I swear it could be straight off a Lacrimosa album). And Seelenland could be an outtake from Stormblast.
I don't get the whole drone stuff, the guys at ruthlessreviesw.com recommended Sunn O))) and Boris to me a while ago but I totally don't get it.
I suppose Sunn could be kind of cool when they're playing live, but I really can't enjoy their albums.

Yeah, I'm not really into them - I love the sound, but nothing happens. I much prefer Khanate, who use the sound to actually do stuff.
Anyway, I'm off to go to 'Zabbaduschder Open Air' (Zabbaduschder is swabian dialect for pitch black).
What is Swabian? Sound interesting...
Also they got Negura Bunget from Romania, a really strange Pagan/BM act.
Worth a listen.

mmmmhmmmm...Not a bad group.
damienthebloody

Postby EradicateIV » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:27 am UTC

Velvet Cacoon, anyone?!

Internet + USBM + Everything that is black metal and isn't at the same time = genius.

one for one...
1 4 1.

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.
EradicateIV

Postby xooll » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

damienthebloody wrote: I much prefer Khanate, who use the sound to actually do stuff.

Khanate is the only drone-ish stuff that I really enjoy. But god damn, they are amazing.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.
xooll

Postby Fluff » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:44 am UTC

Queensrÿche.
Scorpions.
Judas Priest.
Ozzy.

Sod all of that weird growly angry stuff! I like to rock out to someone who can actually sing. 8)
Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:27 am UTC

Fluff wrote:Ozzy.

Sod all of that weird growly angry stuff! I like to rock out to someone who can actually sing. 8)

I think you just made my head 'splode.

Ozzy isn't even a close to good vocalist, especially not in recent years. I'll admit that his voice fit Black Sabbath's music but that was his only saving grace. I'll take Dio-Sabbath over Ozzy-Sab any day.

And shame on you, mentioning Ozzy in the same post as Tate and Halford. For shame!
Okay, I'm more than just a little biased against Ozzy and everything before this should probably be disregarded (except for the Dio mention).

From your post, I also gather that you listen to Priest, yes? Have you heard Halford's solo stuff? I've heard that it's good, but all I've heard is what's on his Myspace.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby ks_physicist » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 am UTC

Tagged for new music ideas.
ks_physicist

Postby Fluff » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

I think you just made my head 'splode.

Ozzy isn't even a close to good vocalist, especially not in recent years. I'll admit that his voice fit Black Sabbath's music but that was his only saving grace. I'll take Dio-Sabbath over Ozzy-Sab any day.

And shame on you, mentioning Ozzy in the same post as Tate and Halford. For shame!
Okay, I'm more than just a little biased against Ozzy and everything before this should probably be disregarded (except for the Dio mention).

From your post, I also gather that you listen to Priest, yes? Have you heard Halford's solo stuff? I've heard that it's good, but all I've heard is what's on his Myspace.

I had a feeling someone would comment on that, and I agree Ozzy is not half the vocalist of any of the others mentioned. But as you've said, his voice really fits the music, and a lot of it is really strong music, so all together it works quite well. I should have included Dio in that list as well.

I've not heard any of Halford's solo stuff yet - Will have to check it out.
Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby xooll » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:35 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:I'll take Dio-Sabbath over Ozzy-Sab any day.
Right on! There are so many people who try to crucify me for saying that.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.
xooll

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:52 am UTC

xooll wrote:
The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:I'll take Dio-Sabbath over Ozzy-Sab any day.
Right on! There are so many people who try to crucify me for saying that.

I tend to find that the people who'll crucify for that end up being unquestioning sheep; they're fanboys and nothing's better than their precious Ozzy. Of course, this sounds like I'm bashing everyone who prefers Ozzy, which I'm not. There are some nice people out there who just like Ozzy more.
Of course, this is only in my experience and what experience I have is from a horrible, horrible source that has destroyed all my faith in humanity and rendered me unable to silence the metal purist within.

Which reminds me: Dio-Sab have reunited, under the name Heaven and Hell, and are touring right now. With Queensrÿche and Alice Cooper. Damn I want to go to the Hamilton show. Fluff, is the Queensrÿche show you're going to (I seem to recall you mentioning going to see them) on this tour?
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby Fluff » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:27 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:Which reminds me: Dio-Sab have reunited, under the name Heaven and Hell, and are touring right now. With Queensrÿche and Alice Cooper. Damn I want to go to the Hamilton show. Fluff, is the Queensrÿche show you're going to (I seem to recall you mentioning going to see them) on this tour?

They are indeed, and for those of you who don't know: Dio also did a vocal with Geoff Tate on QR's last album, Operation Mindcrime II.

I thought about it, but as it turns out the guys will be doing a night on their own at a smaller, more intimate venue a couple of nights prior to the Sabbath/Cooper gig, and so I've decided to catch them there instead. 8)
Fluff
See You Next Tuesday

Postby Sandry » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:07 am UTC

chrispy1 wrote:Eluveitie and Cruachan are two bands that I've just found that seem to be really good - I haven't given them enough of a listen to say one way or another, but they do look promising.

What I've heard of Cruachan seemed to me to indicate that they kind of needed more practice. Songwriting could use a little work, particularly lyrics, and sometimes I object to unsteady tempo. That said, it's been a while since I've tried their stuff. Nonetheless, it's totally worth it to listen to "Sauron."

Love Blind Guardian, adore Demons and Wizards, am okay on Iced Earth, though I should actually try listening to more of it before I form any real opinion. Helloween and In Flames occasionally hit the spot, but are not my favourites.

I'm also sadly fond of Nightwish because it's one of the things I can sing along with and *not* sound ridiculous when I do.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby damienthebloody » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:07 am UTC

Ozzy-Sab is great, except for the Ozzy bit.
The live at last album is a great demonstration of how he's basically irrelevant to the songs - it's all about the most awesome riffs ever...
mmmm....wicked world...
damienthebloody

Postby haveblue » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:52 am UTC

I don't remember if I mentioned them earlier, but..

Mastodon
Lamb of God
Hatebreed

Mastodon's Leviathan is honestly one of the best albums I've ever heard. Ever. Hearts Alive is one of the few 13 minute songs that can consistently capture my attention for its entirety.

The other two aren't really as good, but I do listen to them a reasonable amount, and they're good for some generic metal. Easy listening. haha

Edit: Also, not enough people listen to Nitro.
Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease.
haveblue

Postby xooll » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:28 am UTC

My theory is that every metal band would sound awesome with the addition of Ronnie James Dio.
xooll

Postby damienthebloody » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 am UTC

hmmmmm...
So Khanate + Ronnie James Dio?
damienthebloody

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:50 am UTC

damienthebloody wrote:hmmmmm...

You never know until you try, right?
They need to do this, now!

I can't see it working, but it's Dio! You have to give Dio a shot at it.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby PlayerOne » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Yay, metal. Speaking of which, is anyone here going to Wacken this year? I'm leaving for the festival grounds tomorrow :-)
PlayerOne

Postby pingu » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

rem
Last edited by pingu on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pingu

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

I like the idea of metal, and I like a lot of early metal, but it just seems to me that .. maybe I'm listening to the wrong stuff.. but that the metal bands these days are taking themselves too seriously.

As a result, I cannot listen to a lot of stuff without picturing this guy.. and it ruins it.

And.. I mean, I listen to this.. and I laugh openly. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the video, which is redonkulous on an entirely different plane of existence (Though the solo bit was good). I just find the lyrics and overly dramatic singing silly. Which is a shame.. I dig the guitar work, it's just too.. I mean, I like GWAR, but they have the good sense to be a joke and not take anything seriously, so it's okay. And makes their serious stuff all the more serious.

So.. any help?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Phenriz » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

yeah "metal" got to be too much when it got serious and pretentious with all these sub-classifications. If it sounds good, there's guitar wailing and drum beatin's and "kill your face with a melted nerf bat" i'll probably like it.

some of the overly technical stuff is alright, but the guys that can pull it off are mostly wasting their talent, i think.

Although i like to hope that dragonforce doesn't take themselves too seriously, based on that music video.
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:19 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:but that the metal bands these days are taking themselves too seriously.

As a result, I cannot listen to a lot of stuff without picturing this guy.. and it ruins it.

And.. I mean, I listen to this.. and I laugh openly. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the video, which is redonkulous on an entirely different plane of existence (Though the solo bit was good). I just find the lyrics and overly dramatic singing silly. Which is a shame.. I dig the guitar work, it's just too.. I mean, I like GWAR, but they have the good sense to be a joke and not take anything seriously, so it's okay. And makes their serious stuff all the more serious.

So.. any help?

@picture: Oh Abbath, how lol you are.

@talk of seriousness: I see nothing wrong with seriousness, as long as what you're putting forth isn't ridiculous in and of itself. I don't even find anything wrong with pretentiousness, unless it is blatantly over the top. I can't see how anyone could claim that a band is "taking themselves too seriously" when making music; if they truly love what they are doing and creating, what's the problem if they try to throw in some lofty ideas or convoluted stories or some such? Or am I mistaking what you mean by taking themselves seriously?

As for Abbath and his ilk, some of them genuinely believe in the ideas they're putting forward. The aesthetic associated with the BM scene is terribly unfortunate; it serves to guarantee that people don't take them seriously.

You might want to try Edguy. The guitar work is awesome, and they're pretty much a joke band. They only have one serious album, the rest are them dicking around.

@Phenriz: I've heard your complaint about sub-classification before from others. There is nothing wrong with subdividing. It just means people can be more specific in directing searches. Or, when talking about their favourite bands, it helps as a description. That's all it is, a description.

Here's an example: Metal-lover A loves light hearted bands like Ayreon. Metal-lover B is into crunchy, ass-kicking Sludge like Lair of the Minotaur. If they both just say they like metal, how is anyone going to know the difference without digging further. Instead, were A to say he loves Prog and Power, and B to say he's into the harsher Doom styles, it really helps clear up any confusion right away.

And dear god, I hope DragonForce aren't taking themselves seriously.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby Koeppi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:23 am UTC

I think Phenriz was talking about "Neo-folk influenced blackened thrash-death powerprog" or something along that line...

edit:

Immortal never took themselves seriously,at least not the image; there are some interviews with Abbath where he mocks the whole BM imagery.
Koeppi

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:27 am UTC

Koeppi wrote:I think Phenriz was talking about "Neo-folk influenced blackened thrash-death powerprog" or something along that line...

edit:

Immortal never took themselves seriously,at least not the image; there are some interviews with Abbath where he mocks the whole BM imagery.

Seriously, the only people who say anything like that are morons. Anyone who doesn't find that ridiculous is a moron. The people who do that are very much a minority anyway.

So, Phenriz, if that's what you were talking about I'm sorry for ranting I guess? Just wasn't clear to me if that's what you meant.

Also, I know Immortal never took themselves seriously. That's why I love them. They're seriously goofy and they know it. I said there are some like them that do take themselves seriously.
The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby damienthebloody » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Immortal have always been hilarious (and fantastic), and they've been fully aware that they were being ridiculous. Same with Darkthrone. Great stuff.

Pingu - glad to have saved you some time. Not sure if I've seen you around here before - brilliant username. And you have great taste in music, apparently.

@ Phenriz - sorry, you just don't make any sense.
damienthebloody

Postby xooll » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:08 am UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
damienthebloody wrote:hmmmmm...

You never know until you try, right?
They need to do this, now!

I can't see it working, but it's Dio! You have to give Dio a shot at it.

Just imagine it: Dubin and Dio alternating phrases!
xooll

Postby Phenriz » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:24 pm UTC

@ Phenriz - sorry, you just don't make any sense.

not the first time, nor the last time i've heard that. Basically, i actively refuse to use labels like "Black Metal Post-Apocalyptic Core" or "Progressive Avant Garde Neo Classical Metal". Metal isn't meant to be pretentious.

Stop giving it labels that make it something to be talked about in coffee shops over warm chai tea.

Metal is for skull beating, and demons, not for tea and scones!

comprende?
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!
Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Koeppi » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:Stop giving it labels that make it something to be talked about in coffee shops over warm chai tea.

Metal is for skull beating, and demons, not for tea and scones!

comprende?

I think I like you, but you forgot beer and whisky.
Koeppi

PreviousNext

Return to Music