Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cocktails

Postby EmilyR » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

If I'm dancing then red bull + grenadine + lime + lemonade or safe sex on the beach. Otherwise I'm quaffing champage+archers by the gallon these days :)
EmilyR

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:03 am UTC

So someone created a drink inspired by Watchmen character Jon Osterman. No, it's not a Manhattan (that'd be too obvious), it's a variation on the Old Fashioned.

http://theeatenpath.com/2009/03/05/jon- ... ecocktail/

Spoiler:
Recipe from the link above, which you really should click wrote:Jon Osterman.
2 oz. Earl Grey-infused bourbon
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1/2 oz. St. Germain
2-4 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes orange bitters
1 orange slice
Ice

Intrigued? I know I am! While I'm not willing to potentially waste the bottle of Jack Daniels1 Silver Select I have by infusing tea into it, maybe I need to grab some Maker's Mark and try this.

1 Note to any Americans laughing at me: Shuddup, we have very limited choice in American whisky here in Australia! :D
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Amarantha » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:48 am UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Shuddup, we have very limited choice in American whisky here in Australia! :D
I have three words for you: Nick's. Wine. Merchants. They're in Armadale and Doncaster. They have an incredible (for Australia) variety of rye; therefore they must have a reasonable Bourbon selection. Whether you want to pay the price is another story ;)

Also try King & Godfree (Lygon St) and The Wig's Cellar (Queen St).
Amarantha

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:24 am UTC

It was nice today so I made myself some delicious Pimm's Cups with french lemonade and fresh cukes and it was amazing
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.
Matt

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Shuddup, we have very limited choice in American whisky here in Australia! :D
I have three words for you: Nick's. Wine. Merchants. They're in Armadale and Doncaster. They have an incredible (for Australia) variety of rye; therefore they must have a reasonable Bourbon selection. Whether you want to pay the price is another story ;)

Also try King & Godfree (Lygon St) and The Wig's Cellar (Queen St).

Thanks. :D Have been ogling the Nick's website for a while (mainly for the Irish whiskeys), but haven't been into their stores yet. Will have to check out the others you mentioned as well, once I finished a least of couple of the bottles I already have.
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:49 am UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Intrigued? I know I am! While I'm not willing to potentially waste the bottle of Jack Daniels1 Silver Select I have by infusing tea into it, maybe I need to grab some Maker's Mark and try this.
While I am intrigued, I have to say that I'm pretty sure JD Silver Select isn't bourbon. The pictures of bottles that I'm finding all say Tennessee Whiskey on them.

edit: further research shows that I'm kind of right but mostly wrong, woops.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"
SurgicalSteel

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:Intrigued? I know I am! While I'm not willing to potentially waste the bottle of Jack Daniels1 Silver Select I have by infusing tea into it, maybe I need to grab some Maker's Mark and try this.
While I am intrigued, I have to say that I'm pretty sure JD Silver Select isn't bourbon. The pictures of bottles that I'm finding all say Tennessee Whiskey on them.

edit: further research shows that I'm kind of right but mostly wrong, woops.
You were entirely right the first time. Tennessee whiskey and bourbon, although closely related, are two separate styles, and Jack Daniels is Tennessee whiskey.

The main difference is that Tennessee whiskey is filtered through sugar-maple charcoal, while bourbon is not. Another difference is that bourbon only has to be made anywhere in the US, whereas Tennessee whiskey has to be made in Tennessee.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!
Mr. Mack

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Which is why I carefully used the cover-all term "American whisky". :wink:
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:06 am UTC

I summon the Cocktails thread to tell me what brands of vermouth to buy when available and what brands of vermouth to avoid like the plague. Also any other helpful tidbits for purchasing vermouth since hey, people may mention 30 brands and I may go to the liquor store and find 2 brands nobody mentioned. We are going to do martinis maybe tomorrow. With Hendrick's first because we have it. That's all we know!

Hey, dirty martinis? Olive juice? Do I just use the liquid from any jar of olives? Or is there, like... special martini olive juice? Or hey! Maybe there are special martini olives. I don't know things!
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Amarantha » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm UTC

I currently have Noilly Prat, Carpano Antica and Lillet Rouge, all of which are much better than the Cinzano and Martini that used to be all I could get. I've heard good things about Vya but haven't tried it.

Store your vermouth in the fridge.

For dirty martinis, I just add some of the liquid from the olive jar, like maybe a teaspoon. If that's wrong, I don't care, cuz I like it :P Also, I still use the vermouth; I gather that some people use the olive juice instead rather than in addition.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby Azrael » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

Vya is great, but fairly expensive. I only ever have sweet kicking around because I don't go through dry fast enough to justify buying a nice bottle of something with an effective expiration date.

Every dirty martini I've read or seen uses the brine from the jar. Most times I've seen them made, it's used instead of vermouth -- but those are typically places that wouldn't use the proper amount of vermouth anyhow.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 am UTC

I have a small bottle of dolin dry that I'm cracking open the second I score another bottle of noilly for a reasonable price.

I don't go through vermouth quick enough to justify vya OR antica, sadly. Although perhaps I should use it as an excuse to go on a vacation.
Matt

Postby Amarantha » Mon May 10, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

I dreamt this morning that a bartender made me a Monkey Gland. But then I woke up before I could drink it. So I bought an orange on the way home. My Monkey Gland was a little flat; the orange was sweetish but not very tangy. It was nice though. And I had some orange juice left, so I wanted to make a Blood and Sand. Alas, no Cherry Heering. Luxardo is totally not the same, but I found some cherry juice, so I used that. Made a lovely drink, but got a bit cloying toward the end.

I always have trouble with balance in citrus drinks.
Amarantha

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 10, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

So, what's good with any mixture of:

Vodka
Southern Comfort
Grenadine
Mixer.

?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon May 10, 2010 5:34 pm UTC

Sloe Comfortable Screw Watching a Sunrise is the closet thing I could find.

But if you mix what you have with orange juice in a cocktail shaker, then I doubt you'll be disappointed.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Mr. Mack

Postby bigglesworth » Mon May 10, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Yeah, that was what I was suspecting. Maybe with some sprite/similar for the bubbles.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Gentlelady » Sun May 16, 2010 10:35 am UTC

I recently went to a bar and someone bought me a liquid cocaine. I don't know if the drink originated from the shot or the other way around but I thought all I was drinking was grapefruit juice. Though it was fairly expensive at 12$ for a highball.
d33p wrote:And Karma rode upon a pale horse, and GentleLady followed behind.
sleepygamer wrote:Once you go sleepy you never go backy.
Gentlelady

Postby Telchar » Mon May 17, 2010 3:53 pm UTC

I don't mind the shot, but everytime I've had the drink it seems like it's worse. That could be chalked up to the bartender.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon May 24, 2010 6:42 am UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:So someone created a drink inspired by Watchmen character Jon Osterman. No, it's not a Manhattan (that'd be too obvious), it's a variation on the Old Fashioned.

Finally tried this, though substituting elderflower cordial for the St Germain. Meh, it was ok, but I think I'll stick to the regular Old Fashioned. Came out tasting too strongly of Earl Grey.
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon May 24, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:
TheSkyMovesSideways wrote:So someone created a drink inspired by Watchmen character Jon Osterman. No, it's not a Manhattan (that'd be too obvious), it's a variation on the Old Fashioned.

Finally tried this, though substituting elderflower cordial for the St Germain. Meh, it was ok, but I think I'll stick to the regular Old Fashioned. Came out tasting too strongly of Earl Grey.

I don't think I'm going to try that drink, but I do find the idea of bourbon based tea liqueur to be an interesting one. But I really don't think Maker's Mark is the best choice for such a thing. A more moderately priced wheat-bourbon would be a better choice. Maybe something a little nicer than Rebel Yell.
That cocktail just seems to have too much stuff in it for a nicer whiskey.

Speaking of tea and whiskey, here's something I've been drinking a lot of lately. I haven't found any references to it on the internet, so I'm assuming naming rights and I call it the "Cold Toddy."
    Add a shot of whiskey (any type, but try to avoid anything too sweet) to a highball glass.
    Add ice and fill with Southern Style Sweet Tea. (Here's a recipe for those of ya'll who aren't familiar with the drink).

And that's it. Quick, easy, cheap, refreshing, and a great way to relax on those hot summer nights. Or days, if you live in an area where it's never hot at night.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Mr. Mack

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

We got some Noilly Prat a while back, and a fifth of Boodles as our Hendrick's was running low. I've decided I prefer the olive to the lemon twist as a garnish, but dirty is too much. And the Boodles isn't bad, but it's no Hendrick's.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Amarantha » Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Made a sort-of-margarita, but with coriander (leaves, aka cilantro) steeped in the tequila, and a dash of fish sauce to create a kinda Thai theme. Didn't expect to be able to taste the coriander - was just an experiment - but the drink was very pleasant. The coriander and fish sauce gave it another dimension without actually standing out as separate flavours.
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.
Amarantha

Postby Thesh » Thu May 27, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Amarantha wrote:Made a sort-of-margarita, but with coriander (leaves, aka cilantro) steeped in the tequila, and a dash of fish sauce to create a kinda Thai theme. Didn't expect to be able to taste the coriander - was just an experiment - but the drink was very pleasant. The coriander and fish sauce gave it another dimension without actually standing out as separate flavours.

Uhh.... Yeah, I think I might pass one that one, lol.
Big are getting bigger and hearts are getting harder, an imaginary game
eating at every living thing, a voice dripping with sarcasm like a bloody fat slash
grinning over bleached white-fang teeth that glow like green warning signs of sickness.
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Postby Matt » Thu May 27, 2010 8:47 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:We got some Noilly Prat a while back, and a fifth of Boodles as our Hendrick's was running low. I've decided I prefer the olive to the lemon twist as a garnish, but dirty is too much. And the Boodles isn't bad, but it's no Hendrick's.

I'd go as far as saying Hendrick's isn't bad, but it's no Boodles. I freaking love Boodles, but then, I prefer twists.

Amarantha wrote:Made a sort-of-margarita, but with coriander (leaves, aka cilantro) steeped in the tequila, and a dash of fish sauce to create a kinda Thai theme. Didn't expect to be able to taste the coriander - was just an experiment - but the drink was very pleasant. The coriander and fish sauce gave it another dimension without actually standing out as separate flavours.

Holy shit, that's totally wacky. I can see that completely working, although you shouldn't tell me there's fish sauce in there being the salt note.

Mr. Mack wrote:Speaking of tea and whiskey, here's something I've been drinking a lot of lately. I haven't found any references to it on the internet, so I'm assuming naming rights and I call it the "Cold Toddy."

I think it's pretty much a given that mixing bourbon and sweet tea is so ubiquitous and obligatory that the South has probably named it something unpronounceable like a wink or a nod and that's why you can't google it

I'm down in CT on business and there's a place here where I can get Fee's whiskey barrel aged, peach, and some other kind of bitters, plus their falernum. Also I have a couple brands of cassis I'm trying to decide between. I may default to Mathilde's, anyone have a preference?
Matt

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 28, 2010 1:54 am UTC

What I'll say for Boodles is that it's very well balanced, and that's a mark of quality in any liquor as far as I'm concerned. But Hendrick's offers more complexity. Or at least, that's how it hits my tongue. I made myself up a martini with Boodles and a twist just now, to revisit the issue (for SCIENCE). I love citrus, it just didn't complement Hendrick's well. It does Boodles.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 28, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Isn't Hendrick's cucumber-infused? I imagine citrus would overpower the subtleties a bit. Disclaimer: haven't owned any, but have drunk it in a martini or two at bars. One of 'em even garnished the drink with a cucumber slice. So technically not a martini, but it worked really well.
Amarantha

Postby Matt » Fri May 28, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:What I'll say for Boodles is that it's very well balanced, and that's a mark of quality in any liquor as far as I'm concerned. But Hendrick's offers more complexity. Or at least, that's how it hits my tongue. I made myself up a martini with Boodles and a twist just now, to revisit the issue (for SCIENCE). I love citrus, it just didn't complement Hendrick's well. It does Boodles.

<3 u dude

I'll have a Hendricks martini with an olive next time I'm out.
Matt

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:13 am UTC

I went to two grocery stores today, buying mundane weekly items and picnic/grill ammunition for the upcoming Father's Day weekend.

At grocery store #1, while browsing the alcomohols aisle somewhat aimlessly, I came upon Peychaud's bitters.

At grocery store #2, while browsing said aisle somewhat more purposefully, I came upon Angostura bitters.

Tonight: SCIENCE!!!
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Thesh » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I went to two grocery stores today, buying mundane weekly items and picnic/grill ammunition for the upcoming Father's Day weekend.

At grocery store #1, while browsing the alcomohols aisle somewhat aimlessly, I came upon Peychaud's bitters.

At grocery store #2, while browsing said aisle somewhat more purposefully, I came upon Angostura bitters.

Tonight: SCIENCE!!!

Get some rye and some absinthe or an absinthe substitute, and you are set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfhaxHYb46E
Big are getting bigger and hearts are getting harder, an imaginary game
eating at every living thing, a voice dripping with sarcasm like a bloody fat slash
grinning over bleached white-fang teeth that glow like green warning signs of sickness.
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Postby PictureSarah » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 am UTC

Tonight I invented a cocktail of sorts that includes: The juice of one lemon, a few dashes of agnostura bitters, a spoonful or two of agave syrup, a couple ounces of gin, and club soda. With a cherry. It's delicious, and very summery.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:05 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Tonight I invented a cocktail of sorts that includes

I actually have all those ingredients at home.

Damn it, why must I be at work right now?
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm UTC

Does changing the sweetener from bar sugar to agave nectar make this not a Tom Collins? Also one lemon is a lot of lemon juice, even for a tall drink, so i would guess you're putting roughly two servings of gin in there and making this a double.

There's a reason it's a classic, though.
Matt

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm UTC

She juiced one middling-sized lemon but didn't use all the juice. I'd say she used half the juice of a large lemon. About an ounce, maybe? She used 2.5 oz gin (we have a 1.5/1 jigger). I generally don't see bitters in tom collins recipes, but I did just google "tom collins bitters" and found this recipe which uses a lot more lemon juice, proportionally. So I guess it's a tom collins after all, just not the type I've made in the past, with tonic, no bitters, and more fruit.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:34 am UTC

PictureSarah wrote:Tonight I invented a cocktail of sorts that includes

Ok, got around to trying this. (It's been cold here, damnit, no weather for summery drinks!) Delicious; this is a great take on the Tom Collins. :D
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Odd_nonposter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:13 am UTC

The only thing I know how to do is soda+liquor+ice, plus some minor stuff.

Spoiler:
7&7- 1 oz. whiskey (seagram's 7 is it's namesake) stirred into 12 oz. 7-up/Sprite.
Jack/Rum and Coke- Same, but with coke.
Boilermaker- Same, but with beer.
Speakeasy mix*-ginger ale plus 1oz. any shitty alcohol. Vernor's and homemade bourbon is preferred. Don't ask where the latter ingredient came from.
Sweet whiskey sour*- 1 oz whiskey stirred into lemonade
Strong hot chocolate*- You should be getting my general pattern now...
Eggnog. Rum/white whiskey and prepackaged eggnog with some nutmeg shaken over it. I don't get fancy.

*ad hoc names.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.
Odd_nonposter

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 am UTC

Whenever I want to post in this thread, I just go to Food and do a search in the window for "cock".

In news of greater relevancy, Allow Me to Rant About Scotch and Soda.

What's the deal, people? Why do you want something that smells a bit like scotch, but just tastes like fizzy water that's gone kind of funky? There are so many better things to do with scotch, if you're going to make it into something other than just scotch.

Can someone defend scotch and soda? Does anyone care to? What am I missing?
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Mr. Mack » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:16 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Can someone defend scotch and soda? Does anyone care to? What am I missing?
I sure as hell can't defend it, but I think I can explain it. In fact, I actually have a template for just this sort of thing. It goes kind of like this,

"Scotch & Soda is a Scotch cocktail for people who don't like the taste of Scotch."

I think most people are aware of the prestige attached to Scotch, although not nearly that many people actually like the taste. So they order drinks like a Scotch & Soda so they can claim to be high class without bothering to develop the palate for it.

That's just my guess, at least.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Mr. Mack

Postby Czhorat » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:Can someone defend scotch and soda? Does anyone care to? What am I missing?
I sure as hell can't defend it, but I think I can explain it. In fact, I actually have a template for just this sort of thing. It goes kind of like this,

"Scotch & Soda is a Scotch cocktail for people who don't like the taste of Scotch."

In all fairness, the classic highball drinks (basically all of the "....and .... " drinks) have a few things going for them.

1) They're simple to make. Usually just spirit + mixer + ice.

2) They soften the "bite" of the liquor for those who want some alcohol and might want the taste of it, but don't like drinking straight liquor.

3) Some of the can feel refreshing and a bit lower-key.

I'm not a fan myself (my preferred drink is a geometric Manhattan -- a healthy dash of bitters plus 1 part dry vermouth, 2 parts sweet, 4 parts bourbon. Stir 50 revolutions clockwise over 7 ice cubes (and yes, I know it should be 8 for the geometric progression, but 7 is enough)), but I do understand the allure.

Other drinks that I like:

Negroni (Campari, Gin, bitters)
Bijoux (green Chartreuse, gin, bitters).
And, of course, the Martini (I use 1 part dry vermouth to 4 parts Hendrick's gin.
Czhorat

Postby Rackum » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

Matt wrote:I think it's pretty much a given that mixing bourbon and sweet tea is so ubiquitous and obligatory that the South has probably named it something unpronounceable like a wink or a nod and that's why you can't google it.

Of course we've made that drink down South (http://www.grouprecipes.com/54110/kentu ... h-tea.html, among many other variations) but why on earth would you think we would take the time to actually name it something other than the ingredients in it, hehe. We were too busy actually drinking our bourbon and sweet tea to be bothered with thinking up a creative name. :D
Rackum

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

Czhorat wrote:Bijoux (green Chartreuse, gin, bitters).

I read this post, and saw you defending liquor+soda cocktails, and then I scanned down and saw the word "Chartreuse".

I am so, so glad there was a change of topic between those two concepts.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

PreviousNext

Return to Food