WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mike-l

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 am UTC

So I was doing some theory crafting this weekend and my numbers weren't agreeing with EJ across the board. Everything I got was 18% higher. Then I tried casting on a party member and found that my numbers were spot on what EJ said. So I commented in guild "hrm.. anyone know anything about self heals being 18% stronger", to which I got laughed at. So I borrowed a healer, and it turns out, heals on ME are 18% stronger. Any heal, even bandages! I tried this naked and specless, and still had the same results... I gotta get back into pvp, haha.

Opened a ticket and the response was 'reload ui'... if only... imagine I could write a mod that increased healing done!

So we were having some good fun with this, I had a pally following me around lay on handsing me every 15 minute until one crit.

Dunno how long it will take blizz to figure out wtf is up, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts (and maybe my guild will let me tank 25s this week :))
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed May 26, 2010 9:41 am UTC

Bah! I'm so over 25man guilds that don't lead well enough to make the move from a Gearing Guild into a Progression Guild.

Quite a few of my RL mates are members but I've pretty much decided that I'm moving before Cata into a guild that shows promise.
We've been stuck on 25man Normal LK for weeks and we've been farming everything before Sindra for months so we actually overgear the LK encounter. We've got 2x 10man groups with LK 10N kills and we still just can't get LK 25N.
It's becoming a real problem now. One of those ones were people just login to kill farm content but don't bother pitching for LK raids.
This week we are finally extending the lockout so we can just work on LK. Lets see how it goes but my minds made up for Cata.

I'm actually leaning towards a 10man progression guild for Cata. Since BC I've found that my 10man Raids have been the most enjoyable. ZA Bear runs in BC and ToGC 10 Tribute to Insanity were great, not to mention the fact we're doing 10man HC ICC despite the guild being cockblocked on 25.

The joint Lockout is actually a blessing for me because now I'm raiding 5 nights a week on my Main just because I clear 25 and 10 to ensure that my gear is always optimal. No one likes a Tank who folds like a wet paper towel on new content.

Also, I got Loremaster. Glad it's over. Now I'm finishing off Chef and getting working on Salty... again.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed May 26, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

FoS wrote:We've been stuck on 25man Normal LK for weeks and we've been farming everything before Sindra for months so we actually overgear the LK encounter. We've got 2x 10man groups with LK 10N kills and we still just can't get LK 25N.
It's becoming a real problem now. One of those ones were people just login to kill farm content but don't bother pitching for LK raids.
This week we are finally extending the lockout so we can just work on LK. Lets see how it goes but my minds made up for Cata.

Sounds exactly like where I was a week ago. Not really a leading problem as much as people not logging on and doing calendars or showing up. Added bonus, it was primarily the officers doing this. Which is why come Cata a large portion of us are reforming with a more hardcore progression mindset. Still keep raids fairly casual, but be extremely hardass about showing up to raids (we currently have about 6-8 people always on, then about 5-7 that are sporadic).

We did start on Hardmodes last night. Downed Marrowgar after about 90 minutes of wiping. Realized an hour in our (new and learning) boomkin had no hit and was in resto gear. I'm pretty sure the entire raid facepalmed when I pointed this out. Additionally, he was doing less damage than one of the tanks, and his damage on bone spikes was about 1/10th of everyone else's. We told him to stay on the boss and just focus on him the whole time and his dps doubled (and we downed him). Skipped LDW and went on to the joke that is gunship. DBS and onward await tonight.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed May 26, 2010 1:04 pm UTC

FoS wrote:We've been stuck on 25man Normal LK for weeks and we've been farming everything before Sindra for months so we actually overgear the LK encounter. We've got 2x 10man groups with LK 10N kills and we still just can't get LK 25N.

LK is quite a bit harder than the fights before it, it took us I think 97 pulls to get him down the first time. Once you get him you'll find a lot of the hardmodes to be easier than LK normal. People not coming for long progression nights is an issue every guild has to deal with sadly, which is something I never understood, since I only play for progression nights.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed May 26, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:People not coming for long progression nights is an issue every guild has to deal with sadly, which is something I never understood, since I only play for progression nights.

Having only ever been in my current guild, this is something I don't get as well. If anything, we have issues getting people for farm nights more than progression. We're currently doing a 2 week raid cycle, so we spend less time on farm.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Having only ever been in my current guild, this is something I don't get as well. If anything, we have issues getting people for farm nights more than progression. We're currently doing a 2 week raid cycle, so we spend less time on farm.

Must be nice. We're pretty solid on attendance right now (though only have 1 spare healer so if 2 don't show up we're still hosed), but during LK progression it was becoming a major issue. People would show up on Tuesday and Wednesday to kill 11/12 and be mysteriously absent until the reset. Just makes no sense to me, killing bosses that you know how to kill is so boring and unsatisfying to me.

Right now we don't have much trouble since while we do spend most of our last night of raiding wiping on whatever the current progression is (H PP right now), we always switch it to normal and go kill LK before the raid is called, so people have incentive to come out and wipe a bit.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 26, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

Eh, given that call volumes are somewhat unpredictable, it's also .. not really feasable to expect a company to have 100 employees show up for an hour of work every morning because that's when the rush is, then have them all go home except for 15 or so as opposed to having 30 employees show up for an 8 hour workday.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu May 27, 2010 12:20 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eh, given that call volumes are somewhat unpredictable, it's also .. not really feasable to expect a company to have 100 employees show up for an hour of work every morning because that's when the rush is, then have them all go home except for 15 or so as opposed to having 30 employees show up for an 8 hour workday.

Blizz has years of experience with World of Warcraft (almost 6 by now?). An experienced call forecaster would do a better job than what their current system allows for.

You can have 30 employees show up for an 8 hour workday, but you stagger their start times to coincide with the rush. If you know your busiest time is between 5 and 6 pm, then you make sure every one of the 30 employees is there at that time. But you have some people leaving right at 6, and others who will be there until midnight (and everything in between depending on predictions). You don't need a bunch of people working for 2 hours a day.

Really it's just business analysis, it's a simple (if expensive) solution to the hold problem. I guess they don't feel that 15 bucks a month is enough to warrant decent phone service, though. I can't say I totally disagree. But it still appears unprofessional to make that many billions off the game and not provide accessible phone support.

That's just a little quibble though, I still love the game and I'm not going to stop playing. I've only ever needed to call billing once and I sorted it out through their email instead.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Veora

Postby Veora » Thu May 27, 2010 8:38 am UTC

I've had to call billing on uhh, 3 seperate occasions (actually, oncew as for somone elses behalf) Allthough it does take ages to get through, they really are lovelly people and have allways sorted everything on the spot, and the call is free, so i can't really complain!

On an unrelated note i faction changed my Shaman to alliance :shock: to get a fresh start on my own and to get more experience in healing instances (i usually tank if given a choice, but my main is a Rogue however :) ) And well, Healing Twin Val'Kyr in ToC10 was certainly a daunting experience but im glad 9/10 managed to survive it! :D (i spent the next 3 minutes apologising to the mage for letting him die! :oops: )
<Witty and funny signature here>

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 27, 2010 12:54 pm UTC

Made many attempts on Heroic DBS last night before we just killed him normal and moved on. Took a glance at Heroic Valithria, but didn't put many attempts. My question, given (nearly) pure 10 man gear, what would be some of the easier hard modes? Also, is 2 healing DBS typical or do you 3 heal? We did primarily 3 healing, but we were getting like 4 marks, and that's just a no go. 2 healing, our paladin was almost out of mana before a 2nd mark went out. Also, for those of you that have downed him, in a typical attempt, how many times do your tanks get hit by Rune of Blood (the tank switching debuff thingy). It's consistently showing up for our tanks as about 20 hits or 2mil health, which seems like a lot, but I honestly have no idea what to expect.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 27, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Made many attempts on Heroic DBS last night before we just killed him normal and moved on. Took a glance at Heroic Valithria, but didn't put many attempts. My question, given (nearly) pure 10 man gear, what would be some of the easier hard modes? Also, is 2 healing DBS typical or do you 3 heal? We did primarily 3 healing, but we were getting like 4 marks, and that's just a no go. 2 healing, our paladin was almost out of mana before a 2nd mark went out. Also, for those of you that have downed him, in a typical attempt, how many times do your tanks get hit by Rune of Blood (the tank switching debuff thingy). It's consistently showing up for our tanks as about 20 hits or 2mil health, which seems like a lot, but I honestly have no idea what to expect.

DBS is one of the harder ones. Easiest are Gunship, Marrowgar, Rot, Fester, Princes, Blood Queen. Dreamwalker or LDW is probably next (on 10.. on 25 LDW is waaay harder) then Saurfang is the last of the 'reasonable' bosses.

I don't have any 10 man logs, but on 25 we yell at our tanks for failing on Rune of Blood taunting and we had 17 on our last kill, which is really really terrible. Tanks should glyph taunt so it can't miss and be ready to taunt as soon as their debuff wears off, it gets cast about 1-2 seconds later.

I think 2 healing is the way to go. You should do everything you can to keep his blood power down - BoP targets on the first boiling blood, never ever ever let anyone get meleed by beasts, and of course, get your tanks to swap better. If you get to a 4th mark you need to either dps faster or slow down blood power generation. Ideally you only see 2 marks, and a holy pally can handle both of those by himself while your second healer keeps the tanks alive and tops off boiling blood targets.

Edit: If you have a ret (or a pally tank I guess) you can soulstone/battle rez them and have them DI one of the marks. The mark just stays in the DI and does nothing, but it frees up having to heal them and slows down BP generation. I suppose if your only pally is a healer he could do this on the first mark and be able to just sit around getting mana back until the next mark comes out (since markless healing is pretty light).

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu May 27, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Made many attempts on Heroic DBS last night before we just killed him normal and moved on. Took a glance at Heroic Valithria, but didn't put many attempts. My question, given (nearly) pure 10 man gear, what would be some of the easier hard modes? Also, is 2 healing DBS typical or do you 3 heal? We did primarily 3 healing, but we were getting like 4 marks, and that's just a no go. 2 healing, our paladin was almost out of mana before a 2nd mark went out. Also, for those of you that have downed him, in a typical attempt, how many times do your tanks get hit by Rune of Blood (the tank switching debuff thingy). It's consistently showing up for our tanks as about 20 hits or 2mil health, which seems like a lot, but I honestly have no idea what to expect.

4 marks is way too much. Make sure everyone is spread out enough for blood nova and that no one gets hit by beasts. BoP the first people who get boiling blood to reduce blood power gains. A paladin should easily take care of 2 marks. The other healer should be able to take care of tanks and the raid. Tanks need to use cooldowns when he's high on blood power. With the buff to dps now I'd imagine you COULD 3 heal it, but it hardly seems necessary. The tanks should be taking, at most, 1 mark of blood thing each time he casts it. If they are taking more than 1 they're taunting too slowly (1 can't necessarily be prevented depending on his swing timer).

Festergut and Rotface are both quite easy now that the buff is at 20%, as is Blood Queen. Dreamwalker is a joke if you can get a 4th healer, and somewhat challenging if you have 3.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 27, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Chen wrote:If they are taking more than 1 they're taunting too slowly (1 can't necessarily be prevented depending on his swing timer).

Please please please convince my guild of this!

"Taunt missed".... Yeah, because the devastate glyph is ever so useful in this fight where you never leave your target, or the maul glyph because we love it so much when you get aggro on the blood beasts.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu May 27, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

So we spent the entire night on Lk last night. 5% more Damage, Healing and HP and it meant we hit Phase 3 a couple of times but we never got him below 30%.

It's progress so I should be happy but in fact I'm not. I'm actually angrier.
IMO the only reason we hit Phase 3 is because of the buff not because people did their jobs better.

I really think my guild has just become too carebear about people who suck. One of our Locks never logs onto Vent. He's never reprimanded for it despite Vent being a clearly stated requirement in the guild charter. We've got several players who consistently don't run for Defiles when it's called or who drop Raging Spirits on top of the melee.

And lastly, our MT. ./facepalm. The guy taunts off me when I get Soulreaper after the Debuff has worn off. So in Phase 3 I'm most likely tanking 2 Ragings at the beginning of the Phase and if he gets Soulreaper and I taunt I start getting my CD's ready because otherwise I will be eating 2x Ragings, 1x LK and 1x Soul Reaper.

We also had him get his mini-Enrage a few times. One of them hit me for 57K followed by another 57K Soulreaper resulting me in at home wiping Druid off myself I splattered so quickly.

I think tonight is ultimatum night for me. Either we kill him or I leave.
"...working as intended"

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm UTC

FoS wrote:We also had him get his mini-Enrage a few times. One of them hit me for 57K followed by another 57K Soulreaper resulting me in at home wiping Druid off myself I splattered so quickly.

If you get people to call out when they're going to die inside the room you can kite him for this (ranged taunt, taunt back, sprint, etc), though there's really no excuse for anyone to fail inside.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 27, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
Chen wrote:If they are taking more than 1 they're taunting too slowly (1 can't necessarily be prevented depending on his swing timer).

"Taunt missed".... Yeah, because the devastate glyph is ever so useful in this fight where you never leave your target, or the maul glyph because we love it so much when you get aggro on the blood beasts.

Oh man... I got into it big with our tanks over this last night, as we hear the 'Taunt missed' often and they refuse to glyph it. Our pally tank could easily replace [Glyph of Judgement] (he says it helps threat) and our warrior tank was using [Glyph of Cleave]. Cleave? Really? 1 extra target in a raid where you're tanking 5-6, or a heroic where it doesn't matter? You're a raid tank, optimize for single target tanking! Also, we don't have a druid tank (except me), but I would think Maul would be required removal if they have it for that fight. Seems like that could really screw things up on heroic if they get aggro. Leaves you with "Don't use Maul" or "remove glyph". Maul is like... prime threat for a druid, so not using it isn't an option.
FoS wrote:So we spent the entire night on Lk last night. 5% more Damage, Healing and HP and it meant we hit Phase 3 a couple of times but we never got him below 30%.

If you're getting him that far, you're not too far away, I think. We downed him the second time we made it to phase 3. Granted, it was kinda sloppy, and it was 10 man as well.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu May 27, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I really think my guild has just become too carebear about people who suck. One of our Locks never logs onto Vent. He's never reprimanded for it despite Vent being a clearly stated requirement in the guild charter. We've got several players who consistently don't run for Defiles when it's called or who drop Raging Spirits on top of the melee.

You can't control the dropping of raging spirits anymore. That was "fixed" a while ago to prevent an exploit where you run into the winter when targetted, die and have no spirit spawn. So don't be too harsh on your guild for that. There's also something a bit wonky with raging spirit threat now and then and I can't quite pick up what it is. I've run up to one before, hit it with maul, mangle and a taunt and still have it smack the person who spawned it before turning to me.

And lastly, our MT. ./facepalm. The guy taunts off me when I get Soulreaper after the Debuff has worn off. So in Phase 3 I'm most likely tanking 2 Ragings at the beginning of the Phase and if he gets Soulreaper and I taunt I start getting my CD's ready because otherwise I will be eating 2x Ragings, 1x LK and 1x Soul Reaper.

Taunting when you have a raging spirit on you (especially a druid) is practically a death sentence. A badly timed scream not only does big damage combined with Lich King damage, but it prevents you from using Barkskin due to the silence. We generally just keep the Lich King on one tank until spirits are dead. Its too risky we found otherwise.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 27, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Taunting when you have a raging spirit on you (especially a druid) is practically a death sentence. A badly timed scream not only does big damage combined with Lich King damage, but it prevents you from using Barkskin due to the silence. We generally just keep the Lich King on one tank until spirits are dead. Its too risky we found otherwise.

Should only be 1 soul reaper while spirits are up anyway, cooldowns + bomb heals should take care of it.

FoS

Postby FoS » Sun May 30, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

Well on Thursday night we got him. So now I've killed him in 10man and 25man normal modes.

Phew it was a hairy night. We managed to get him into a very solid Phase 3 early in the night but the spirits were killing people so we ran out of DPS and he wore us down. We missed that kill by 4%.
Painful but it was a good lesson for the raid.
People got a feel for the Phase 3 Spirits and for the movement. I also got to tank the entire Phase 3 after the MT blew himself up kiting to close to the center of the room. I ate a lot of damage but Rotating CD's (still 1 pc T10.264 short of my Enrage Damage Reduction) and poping an Indestructible for that Phase made a huge difference.

Things got a bit worse after that with consistent Phase 2 wipes but the guys did improve and eventually we hit a excellent Phase 3 with almost an entire Raid up. I think we had 1 or 2 idiots dead.
When we transition I'm typically tanking a Raging or 2 (it should only be 1 but sometimes DPS isn't pushing as hard as they should so there might be a 2nd with low HP) so the Pally MT keeps LK busy while we burn down the Raging. Alas, the Pally didn't use CD's and was too far away to taunt so he ate a Soul Reaper and died leaving me to pick up everything.
I kited LK and Spirit around till it died and then I could focus on LK. We CR'd the MT and once again he kited too close to the center combined with an epicly fail taunt by me as I tabbed and taunted a Vile Spirit (./facepalm) so he ate another Soul Reaper and died. Cue 2nd CR.
I'm not sure how he exploded this time but I suspect that he taunted too soon and got another Soul Reaper to the face. This was all in quick succession so I pretty much tanked the entire phase 3 again and we got him.

Man o man I'm glad we're passed that and we can do the Hard Modes.

I think our GM realises that we're not going to bother much with LK 25man again and we'll never get far enough into Hard Modes to do him in Heroic (Putri and Sindra will most likely be the extent of our progression unless we can recruit some talented players) which is ok with me.
I'd rather focus on the 10man HC achievments for the Drake.

As for the Ragings, it seems the dropping is still controllable because DPS got it into their heads and started making sure they were dropped much better then on previous nights. Picking them up was far easier.
My only concern is that my high TPS gemming/gearing means I sometimes tank 2 at a time because I pull them off the OT. I start hammering them the moment they spawn to make sure we never have one running off because the MT's got little burst TPS and our Locks are retarded at waiting 1 or 2 seconds before they pull.
"...working as intended"

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 31, 2010 12:15 pm UTC

FoS wrote:As for the Ragings, it seems the dropping is still controllable because DPS got it into their heads and started making sure they were dropped much better then on previous nights. Picking them up was far easier.
My only concern is that my high TPS gemming/gearing means I sometimes tank 2 at a time because I pull them off the OT. I start hammering them the moment they spawn to make sure we never have one running off because the MT's got little burst TPS and our Locks are retarded at waiting 1 or 2 seconds before they pull.

Having gotten targeted by a spirit spawn yesterday, I can tell you that when you get targeted by the Lich King (however briefly) and whatever addon puts an mark you, you immediately get stunned (fall over if you're in humanoid form) and the spirit spawns SOMEWHERE around you. Sometimes its in front sometimes its behind...which can actually make a pretty big difference in positioning. After god knows how many attempts on heroic Lich King, I can tell you that picking up the spirits is can just be freaking random. Sometimes its as if they do not respond to any abilities/threat that get put on them for a split second resulting in something getting gibbed. I have a combat log somewhere where my taunt hits the spirit and about 0.5 sec later it swings and kills some random clothy and then decides to attack me. At first we thought it had to do with some sort of threat clear shortly after it spawns, but it doesn't appear to be the case unless its an EXTREMELY tiny window, since I've taunted them when they're rising out of the ground and had them stick but other times taunt them a bit after that and have them hit someone else first. Either way their mechanics are stupid.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon May 31, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

I'm considering playing this a bit on the side, mostly when I get bored of Eve every few days. Any advice for a new player? I'm likely going to play a mage as I like that sort of class. No idea what race yet.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon May 31, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:I'm considering playing this a bit on the side, mostly when I get bored of Eve every few days. Any advice for a new player? I'm likely going to play a mage as I like that sort of class. No idea what race yet.

Mage is a ridiculously fun class, you get lots of fun tools and spells that avoid minor annoyances (portals to major cities, creating your own food). You can nuke a lot of enemies before they ever get to you, and if they do, you multiple ways of getting away from them. Having said that, when things go bad, you pretty much just die, it's a very squishy class. And while it's nice that you make your own food, you probably need it more than any other class.

The game itself is pretty newbie friendly, but the community isn't so much (or at least, there is a vocal subgroup consisting mostly of jerks who seem to hate the game)

Starting at level 15 you can use the random dungeon tool to do 5 man instances (it automatically groups you with other people around your level). This can be a lot of fun, and you'll generally get much better gear from dungeons than you would questing or grinding, but you should also be prepared to meet the odd jerk (it is the internet after all). As long as you let the tank pull and attack the monster he's attacking, you should avoid most of the rudeness that gets thrown around.

halbarad

Postby halbarad » Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:The game itself is pretty newbie friendly, but the community isn't so much (or at least, there is a vocal subgroup consisting mostly of jerks who seem to hate the game)

That's the main thing that has put me off the game for so long but I decided to give it a go and hopefully I can find some of the better areas of the community.

Starting at level 15 you can use the random dungeon tool to do 5 man instances (it automatically groups you with other people around your level). This can be a lot of fun, and you'll generally get much better gear from dungeons than you would questing or grinding, but you should also be prepared to meet the odd jerk (it is the internet after all). As long as you let the tank pull and attack the monster he's attacking, you should avoid most of the rudeness that gets thrown around.

What do you suggest is the best way to get to level 15 to start doing this? Should I just run every quest I can find and kill every monster I come across?

Any suggestions for good professions to get into? I haven't read enough about the game yet but I'm going to start browsing the various forums and stuff out there for the basics and work from there. I may try to find time to read this entire thread but 91 pages will take me a while.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

halbarad wrote:That's the main thing that has put me off the game for so long but I decided to give it a go and hopefully I can find some of the better areas of the community.

Well, there are plenty of nice people out there too. It's just easier to be loud when you're a jerk :)

What do you suggest is the best way to get to level 15 to start doing this? Should I just run every quest I can find and kill every monster I come across?

Any suggestions for good professions to get into? I haven't read enough about the game yet but I'm going to start browsing the various forums and stuff out there for the basics and work from there. I may try to find time to read this entire thread but 91 pages will take me a while.

Questing is almost always the fastest way to level, the least boring, and offers better gear than grinding (though dungeons offer the best gear). As a damage dealing class, it can take 10-15 minutes for your random group to form, but you can just continue questing/killing things while you wait.

The first few levels go by REALLY fast. It's quite possible to get to level 15 in one (not terribly long) sitting, but they slow down, to the point where the last few levels before 80 take ~3-4 hours each. Big jumps in level length happen at 60 and 70, so until 60, it will steadily take longer but you'll still see pretty fast progress.

As for professions, your best bet is probably 2 gathering professions. These are skinning, herbalism and mining. You can make a ton of money selling what you get from these on the auction house, either by stopping in by a major city when your inventory fills up with them (not too bad as a mage, but then you still have to get back to your quest area) or, what most people do, is make an alt and run them to a city, then mail your goodies to the alt to post on the auction house.

I wouldn't recommend herbalism and mining together, since you can only track one of them at a time. However, they are both more lucrative than skinning, so it's not a totally unviable choice. The one thing skinning has going for it is that you really never go out of your way to use it, since you skin mobs you kill. When I used to be a miner I joked that having mining was like having a 90% slower mount since I made so many detours everytime I tried to go anywhere.

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon May 31, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
FoS wrote:As for the Ragings, it seems the dropping is still controllable because DPS got it into their heads and started making sure they were dropped much better then on previous nights. Picking them up was far easier.

Having gotten targeted by a spirit spawn yesterday, I can tell you that when you get targeted by the Lich King (however briefly) and whatever addon puts an mark you, you immediately get stunned (fall over if you're in humanoid form) and the spirit spawns SOMEWHERE around you. Sometimes its in front sometimes its behind...which can actually make a pretty big difference in positioning. After god knows how many attempts on heroic Lich King, I can tell you that picking up the spirits is can just be freaking random. Sometimes its as if they do not respond to any abilities/threat that get put on them for a split second resulting in something getting gibbed. I have a combat log somewhere where my taunt hits the spirit and about 0.5 sec later it swings and kills some random clothy and then decides to attack me. At first we thought it had to do with some sort of threat clear shortly after it spawns, but it doesn't appear to be the case unless its an EXTREMELY tiny window, since I've taunted them when they're rising out of the ground and had them stick but other times taunt them a bit after that and have them hit someone else first. Either way their mechanics are stupid.

Ah now thats good to know because it's considerably easier in normal mode. When you get targeted you actually have enough time to move away before u get the Stun/Knockdown as the Raging spawns so we were trying to keep an area open where the targeted person would run to.
"...working as intended"

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 31, 2010 4:22 pm UTC

FoS wrote:Ah now thats good to know because it's considerably easier in normal mode. When you get targeted you actually have enough time to move away before u get the Stun/Knockdown as the Raging spawns so we were trying to keep an area open where the targeted person would run to.

This certainly does not happen on the US servers. Come to think of it though I recall seeing a thread on EJ that mentioned it was still working like this (i.e., you could move to spawn the spirit) on the EU servers. I had figured this would have been fixed there too though. Like how much time do you have to move? Because on the US ones I'd wager if you can move at all it has to be somewhere around half a second or less. Its not like you have 2 seconds to run them somewhere (like you used to be able to).

FoS

Postby FoS » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:49 am UTC

On EU the guys have about 5s to move.
"...working as intended"

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:40 pm UTC

FoS wrote:On EU the guys have about 5s to move.

Well thats pretty bullshit IMO. Picking up the spirits is quite touchy now that there's no delay on the NA servers. Anyways, if thats the case, just run the person with the spirit into the Raging winter, have them die and the spirit shouldn't spawn. Battle res them and you're done. Makes the last transition a joke. Of course thats why the fixed it on the NA servers...

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

I raided last night! And we downed more hardmodes. Using our improved knowledge, DBS went down in a single attempt. Rotface went down in one attempt (and that was kinda fun to heal), and Festergut went down in 2 tries. All that with using someone tanking on their alt who barely has any ICC gear. Hopefully get in later this week to do both Blood wing hardmodes, and then possibly Valithria. I think Sindragosa and Prof are getting pushed back for later, and we'll probably attempt LDW next week.

FoS

Postby FoS » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

That Winter trick is sneaky, I'll be sure to remember it later on 10man HC.

We started on Hardmodes this week and for some reason all our Rogues have dissappeared so pretty much any Leather that drops is mine regardless of my EPGP Priority.
Even better is the first 4 bosses all dropping upgrades, 2 of which are BiS.

We got Marrowgar quite easily but we skipped Lady because we were missing some key Raiders and we didn't wanna slow down on her. Gunship Hardmode is a joke. We spent the rest of the night working on Saurfang and due to a sudden abundance in Tanks i got to DPS which was a pleasant change.

Loads of people couldn't make our Raid tonight so we decided to clear Saurfang on normal and then hit Valritha and Sindra so we can leave Fester/Rot for Monday.

I'm pretty much convinced that my guild will never kill LK/Putri/Sindra in 25man HC but we've got 2 strong 10man teams which I'm sure are capable of killing LK 10 HC if we toughen up a little and replace to optimise the setup.
"...working as intended"

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

http://wiki.raevyn.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Site compiling alpha leaks. Pretty neat and I'm so going troll druid; that cat form is pimp.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

Edging closer and closer to getting my bike for my draenei.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Considering buying WOTLK to make a DK. Worth it? They awesome?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

They're EZmode to level, especially if you go blood. They do everything a warrior does and a little bit more.
They can tank without shields and heal themselves with relative efficiency.

But beware, there's a bit of a stigma that comes with being a level 58 DK. (You start out as 55, and you're 58 when you leave the phased starting area). Everyone will automatically assume you're an idiot (because you're basically a level 3 to everyone) until you get to 60+.
What difference does 2 levels make, you might ask? It shows you at least put some time into questing, leveling, and playing the character.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:32 am UTC

That's silly; you need a toon to lvl 55. Not to say that being lvl 55 means you have half a clue whats going on...
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:02 am UTC

You'd think so.
I've seen DK's in Hellfire that have been excruciatingly retarded.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 am UTC

I'm perpetually surprised how given the limited scope of the roles you sign up for, people are still absolutely retarded. Tanks who don't pull aggro, healers who are doing damage, squishies that repeatedly pull aggro...

I bet it gets better with a guild of people you can get used to working with and practice with... but for now, PUGs have been about 50/50.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:29 pm UTC

DK's just have an 'idiot' stigma attached to them, since they are so easy to level, anyone can get one, never really learn to play them correctly, and still do 'ok'. As such, there's alot of idiot DK's running around and the few give a bad name to the rest. It's like boomkins for me. I've had 2 keyboard-turning, slow-reacting Boomkins in my guild... and now I can't see one without groaning and thinking "oh no, it's one of those big dumb things." (That's right, I'm a WoW-racist-classist). It doesn't help that the model for them just kinda looks stupid.

In other news, Valithria rescued on heroic last night. Took quite a few attempts. Looks like the fight would be cake if we didn't have to deal with a boomkin that was only managing to pull 3k dps, and is terrible at target switching.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:22 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Edging closer and closer to getting my bike for my draenei.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/98655555-4.jpg got one for my shaman :>
<Witty and funny signature here>

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

Just got mine last night!

Big wave of hacked friends on the server I'm on.
I'm glad I finally got my bike, no real way they can set me back by deleting all the materials and crap. It's there forever.

I don't have an authenticator but I'm also not worried because I avoid shady links and I didn't bother to download the Cataclysm Alpha (Sandbox, it's called?)... So I think I might be safe.

Return to “Gaming”