Apples
57%
Oranges
43%

Total votes : 255

Re: Apples vs Oranges

Postby Stay_Puft_marshmallows » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Oranges will save your life if you need to spend 6 months at sea, while apples contain cyanide.
You're referencing the vitamin C content of oranges, which, yes, will prevent scurvy. However, apples not only contain quite enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy, if rather less than oranges, they also keep better over long periods of time, either whole or as cider, or dried. Furthermore, both apple pips and orange seeds historically contained small amounts of cyanide (indeed, most fruit seeds do; it's a key flavor in marzipan), but modern breeds of apple have nearly cyanide-less pips. Besides, unless you're into eating apple cores, you're much more likely to accidentally swallow a small orange seed than a small apple seed.
CorruptUser wrote:Oranges come in baskets, which is much better than bushels.

A basket is a container. A bushel is a unit of measurement. I can buy oranges by the bushel just as easily as I can buy apples in baskets.

Did somebody just get told?
text goes where?
Stay_Puft_marshmallows

Location: third tube from the left, and straight on till morning

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Oranges will save your life if you need to spend 6 months at sea, while apples contain cyanide.
You're referencing the vitamin C content of oranges, which, yes, will prevent scurvy. However, apples not only contain quite enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy, if rather less than oranges, they also keep better over long periods of time, either whole or as cider, or dried. Furthermore, both apple pips and orange seeds historically contained small amounts of cyanide (indeed, most fruit seeds do; it's a key flavor in marzipan), but modern breeds of apple have nearly cyanide-less pips. Besides, unless you're into eating apple cores, you're much more likely to accidentally swallow a small orange seed than a small apple seed.

A basket is a container. A bushel is a unit of measurement. I can buy oranges by the bushel just as easily as I can buy apples in baskets.

Oh, snap?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

Fine, apples can come in baskets too.

Yes, all fruit contains vitamin C, but if you have 100 men on rickety wooden ship for 3 months with barely enough space for the fresh water, saltpork, and whatever the hell "breadfruit" is, you need your source of vitamin C to be as concentrated as possible.

Besides, Orange is a popsicle flavor, while Apple is not. Granted that everyone eats the cherry first, followed by grape and lemon, and no one wants the orange at the end, but apple popsicles are almost nonexistant.
CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 am UTC

Huh? Why does this board replace switch "apple" and "Microsoft"?

I think the admin is playing games...
CorruptUser

Postby phlip » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I think the admin is playing games...

Terribly secret games, that have been hidden in plain sight by explaining them in a global announcement right at the top of every single forum listing. This is clearly the best place to hide things, given how many people have failed to find it there.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:20 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

Terribly secret games, that have been hidden in plain sight by explaining them in a global announcement right at the top of every single forum listing. This is clearly the best place to hide things, given how many people have failed to find it there.

So, from now on, that means important announcements should go in the cantina, and not be stickied. Then everyone will find them.
Amnesiasoft

Postby hintss » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

phlip wrote:

I found the announcement...
"s/god/flying spaghetti monster/"
hintss

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:55 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:
Stay_Puft_marshmallows wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:
You're referencing the vitamin C content of oranges, which, yes, will prevent scurvy. However, apples not only contain quite enough vitamin C to stave off scurvy, if rather less than oranges, they ALSO YOU GUYS: keep better over long periods of time, either whole or as cider, or dried. Furthermore, both Microsoft pips and orange seeds historically contained small amounts of cyanide (indeed, most fruit seeds do; it's a key flavor in marzipan), but modern breeds of Microsoft have nearly cyanide-less pips. Besides, unless you're into eating Microsoft cores, you're much more likely to accidentally swallow a small orange seed than a small Microsoft seed.

Oh, snap?

You are correct.
Online Etymology Dictionary wrote:gaol:
see jail, you tea-sodden football hooligan.
Magnanimous

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:13 am UTC

Oh, wow, I feel like an idiot now.

Sometimes, the pink smiley :oops: does not do shame justice.
CorruptUser

Postby Lady Freya » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

Kiwis have the same vitamin C content as 4 oranges.

Therefore, according to the current line of argument, Kiwis are superior to Apples and Oranges, and this debate is redundant in the face of their tangy, tropical glory.
Lady Freya

Postby Vyn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 pm UTC

Personally, Cider>Orange juice, Apple Pie/crisp/cobbler/candied/caramel>Orange cobbler/ice cream/cake... and I can't think of any others. Also, Green Apples>other apples. And lastly, Pineapples>all fruit. (And hey, they've got Apple in the name!)
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.
Vyn

Postby HermanBlount » Thu May 06, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

One is a color and the other is a fruit. You're comparing apples and orange...s.
Last edited by HermanBlount on Fri May 14, 2010 6:18 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?
HermanBlount

Postby ZeroSkulleton » Mon May 10, 2010 4:33 am UTC

Orange; the Apple always ends up knifed.
ZeroSkulleton

Postby SlyReaper » Thu May 13, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

I voted apples. They are easier and less messy to eat, while tasting just as good. You can also make cider out of them. Also, an apple a day seems to generate a doctor-repelling force field around yourself, preventing them from approaching you.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby Thesh » Sun May 23, 2010 7:11 am UTC

They are both similar: they both have inedible seeds, they both have skins, grow on trees, can be used to make juice, they can be either sweet or sour, both contain vitamin C, and there are many different varieties of either fruit. None is really better than the other, so I go for whatever seems freshest.
Big are getting bigger and hearts are getting harder, an imaginary game
eating at every living thing, a voice dripping with sarcasm like a bloody fat slash
grinning over bleached white-fang teeth that glow like green warning signs of sickness.
Thesh
Has the Brain Worms, In Case You Forgot.

Postby big boss » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Oranges obviously because apples remind me of steve jobs...
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."
big boss

Postby Dason » Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 am UTC

big boss wrote:Oranges obviously because apples remind me of steve jobs...

Well they don't taste like him. You can trust me on that.
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat May 29, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

an orange a day makes your brain hurt upon finding a good rhyme ey?

Oranges are definitely tasty and scrumptious and I found apples the total opposition of such taste.
tastelikecoke

Postby kevinm1776 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Oranges all the way! Apples...Schmapples. I saw an apple just last week, he was J-walking across a busy intersection. Can you believe the nerve of that apple?

Also I think I saw him punch an old lady for no reason! :wink:
kevinm1776

Postby styrofoam » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:16 pm UTC

Lady Freya wrote:alright so, lets say hypothetically, in a thought experiment type situation, we are in a germ free environment where you won't get tuberculosis from an apple or an orange,

Our immuned systems would go crazy and give us autoimmune disorders.
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.
styrofoam

Postby Dason » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 am UTC

kevinm1776 wrote:Apples...Schmapples. I saw an apple just last week, he was J-walking across a busy intersection. Can you believe the nerve of that apple?

Also I think I saw him punch an old lady for no reason! :wink:

Now THAT sounds like my kind of fruit.
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby meatyochre » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:32 am UTC

I like cooked apples better than oranges (apple pie or cobbler or just hot and spiced with cinnamon), but plain apples are fairly nasty from a texture perspective, I just hate that gritty coldness. And the skin tastes awful even if I scrub it.

Whereas oranges, on the other hand, are more delicious and have a delightful texture. They frequently come in seedless varieties, which is important because I like to feel like I've eaten the whole fruit. Apples necessitate leaving a pretty large chunk of the core (and thus the primary edible surface) behind. And orange juice is delicious! Besides, as far as I know there is no word in English that rhymes with orange, making it more etymologically unique.

Oranges > apples.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

meatyochre

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Apples necessitate leaving a pretty large chunk of the core (and thus the primary edible surface) behind.

You're just not eating close enough to the core. You don't need to leave a whole lot of it behind.
meatyochre wrote:And orange juice is delicious! Besides, as far as I know there is no word in English that rhymes with orange, making it more etymologically unique.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(word)#Rhyme
Amnesiasoft

Postby thierry474 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Suprised nobody has mentioned:

http://xkcd.com/388/
thierry474

Postby mercuryseven » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Has anybody seen the article by National Geographic? They had taken this discussion to a quantitative level
mercuryseven

Postby Alx_xlA » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:57 pm UTC

Orange meringue pie > Apple pie

Take that, pie-based objectors.
My signature contains forty-four characters.
Alx_xlA

Postby styrofoam » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:57 am UTC

Have you ever dipped an apple in caramel? (voted apple of course) And for those voting orange because of the high vitamin C content, apples contain more than enough C, and last longer for the guys stranded on a boat in the ocean.
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.
styrofoam

Postby krogoth » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Tough oranges would(I assume) be the more acidic of the pair, I always find if I've had apples/cider its more likely to make my teeth sensitive. An orange I can have and enjoy.
I also find the apples here in Vic AU, are of quite poor quality, quite often bruised or bugs have gotten into them.
R3sistance - I don't care at all for the ignorance spreading done by many and to the best of my abilities I try to correct this as much as I can, but I know and understand that even I can not be completely honest, truthful and factual all of the time.
krogoth

Postby josiahstevenson » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 am UTC

I'm conflicted. Green apples are one of the best fruits imaginable, second only to pomegranates. Red (and other) apples, on the other hand, are practically inedible unless cooked and spiced. Oranges occupy the tasty (yet imperfect) middle ground.
josiahstevenson

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:05 am UTC

I held my macbook up to a low-hanging branch of the apple tree in my backyard and failed to see the resemblance

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Lady Freya » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:50 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I held my macbook up to a low-hanging branch of the apple tree in my backyard and failed to see the resemblance

Clearly the fruit is not ripe yet.
I can't wait to harvest my tree, sell all the fruit, and retire to the bahamas.
Lady Freya

Postby paravatar » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Oranges.

I am currently writing my thesis - and as everybody knows: An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

2nd reason pro oranges. I did not manage to find any hard evidence supporting overall reduction in morbidity and mortality for daily consumption of one apple. There is only some evidence for specific diseases.

p
…is listening to the swooshing sound of deadlines passing by
paravatar

Postby Noblesaur » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 am UTC

I think apples are vastly over-rated. I mean, they're cool and all, but so boring! Oranges are where it's at, especially blood oranges, those things are tasty and bad-ass. Also, oranges make far better juice.
I'm Howie!
Check out my blag, Noblesaur.
Noblesaur

Postby Giant Speck » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

I'm going to lean more towards apples, but I like both.

I absolutely love two varieties of apples: Jonathans and Ambrosias. I've enjoyed Jonathan apples ever since I was a very young child. Jonathans tend to be fully red, but around first pick (early September), they have some green on them. These are the best Jonathans: incredibly crisp, juicy, acidic and tart. They're great cooked, baked, and just plain fresh.

When I moved away from the Midwest after joining the military, Jonathans were simply impossible to find. They're even more impossible to find here in Alaska, which makes me so incredibly, incredibly sad. :cry: The grocery stores up here don't carry them, but carry Jonagolds instead. JONAGOLDS ARE DISGUSTING AND WRONG.

Last year, I discovered a relatively new cultivar of apples called Ambrosia at Fred Meyer. I love these apples! It's almost a completely opposite taste from Jonathans. They're sweet and have a taste that's reminiscent of pears. If you can imagine the taste of a pear with the texture of a crisp apple, that's what these apples taste like.
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which are kinda the same thing.
Giant Speck
Bouncy Sex Marshmallow

Postby KrO2 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

I am going to say oranges. It's difficult to surprise someone with a written message on the inside of an unpeeled apple. With oranges it's assumed to be hard, so nobody sees it coming.
KrO2

Postby Vash » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:17 pm UTC

Oranges. So much more flavorful. Juicier. Apples are also too firm. I feel like Apples would be more likely to make me feel sick, as well (though, maybe that is from eating Golden Delicious on an empty stomach and when very sleep deprived).
Vash

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 am UTC

I mix 72% apple to 28% orange juice for when I'm not drinking ethanol, coffee, or milk

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Alx_xlA » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:47 am UTC

KrO2 wrote:I am going to say oranges. It's difficult to surprise someone with a written message on the inside of an unpeeled apple. With oranges it's assumed to be hard, so nobody sees it coming.

Do explain, please.
My signature contains forty-four characters.
Alx_xlA

Postby Dragon Fox 05 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Oranges, because apples are hell for people with pollen allergies.
Dragon Fox 05

Postby Tomlidich » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

the apple cobbler i make is bad-ass. therefore, apples for my vote.
but do not despair! orange juice and apple juice are equally delicous.
Tomlidich

PreviousNext

Return to Religious Wars