0754: "Dependencies"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

LucasBrown

0754: "Dependencies"

Postby LucasBrown » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:45 am UTC

Alt text: "The prereqs for CPSC 357, the class on package management, are CPCS 432, CPSC 357, and glibc2.5 or later."

Reminds me of a book I once read that had a guy in the index with the only page number being that page of the index. Wish I could remember the book...
What was I doing reading the index in that much detail? I have no idea.
Last edited by LucasBrown on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

10nitro

Re: "Dependencies" discussion(#754)

Postby 10nitro » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 am UTC

I didn't find it that great. Perhaps it's that I've spent the last few weeks on package management.

Would've been first, if he didn't cheat. [edit]at post time, the title-text was "", and he still has no comment as I write this[/edit]
Last edited by 10nitro on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ Luke Shumaker
FRC1024 Programmer
IT technician, GNU/Linux admin, comp. security guy
Eagle Scout
http://lukeshu.ath.cx

Comic JK

Postby Comic JK » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 am UTC

I guess you'll need to use more .h files. That or switch to a semi-reasonable language. Digital Mars D, anyone? Or perhaps Go if you're feeling exciting.
A webcomic funnier than life itself. Updated Monday-Friday.

Storm

Postby Storm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:54 am UTC

LucasBrown wrote:Reminds me of a book I once read that had a guy in the index with the only page number being that page of the index. Wish I could remember the book... What was I doing reading the index in that much detail? I have no idea.
House of Leaves perhaps? Sounds like something in that book.

Good chuckle from this comic :)
Three Quotes:
Spoiler:
"DON'T PANIC" - Douglas Adams
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost"- J.R.R. Tolkien
"This life is more than just a read through"- Red Hot Chili Peppers

SW15243

Postby SW15243 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:57 am UTC

Further hilarity: Course on resolving dependencies has prerequisites.

flowstoneknight

Postby flowstoneknight » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Would have been funnier if the class code had been C22. But I guess it'd be odd to have such a low level class huh.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:00 am UTC

Thanks for another computer science joke, Randall.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Shupersean

Postby Shupersean » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 am UTC

Actually attaining entrance into that class seems much like attaining entrance into Fight Club.

f1g2h311

Postby f1g2h311 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 am UTC

Found this extra funny because my college actually did this by accident one year with a Computer Science course. As expected, no one could get into the class until they fixed it.

xms

Postby xms » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:06 am UTC

I think this one is a little too obvious, basically "dependency class depends on dependency class". Would've been better if it was a little less direct, not sure how that could've been done however.

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:13 am UTC

xms wrote:I think this one is a little too obvious, basically "dependency class depends on dependency class". Would've been better if it was a little less direct, not sure how that could've been done however.

If you're a CS major, maybe. Went completely over my head for a half-minute.

LSN

Postby LSN » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Seems like it's been forever since we had a CS comic.

Also, yay a CS comic!

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:23 am UTC

StClair wrote:
xms wrote:I think this one is a little too obvious, basically "dependency class depends on dependency class". Would've been better if it was a little less direct, not sure how that could've been done however.

If you're a CS major, maybe. Went completely over my head for a half-minute.

I don't know. As someone who knows relatively nothing about computers (compared with the gang on these forums, anyway), I not only got the joke - I saw where it was going before I finished reading. I'm not trying to brag; I'm just saying, it seems kind of obvious. (Not to insult you, either.)
Spoiler:

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 am UTC

At Cal Poly, the class on interpreters is CSC 430, and the class on compilers is CSC 431. Logically*, then, if they had an intermediate compiler design class, it would be CSC 432. :) Randall, get out of my... college?

* Cal Poly is anything but logical. Buildings 1 and 65 are right next to each other, and buildings 2 and 3 are on the other side of campus. Building 14 (the computer science building) is between 20 and 21. Buildings 10 and 22 are connected. In building 10, the room numbers go something like 202, 203, 204, 203, 205. There is an optional CSC 106 class that people can take before CSC 101. I've had comp sci classes in the agriculture building, math classes in the welding and manufacturing building, English classes in the food processing building, and biology classes in the performing arts center. It made no sense and I loved it.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

RockoTDF

Postby RockoTDF » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:37 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote: I've had comp sci classes in the agriculture building, math classes in the welding and manufacturing building, English classes in the food processing building, and biology classes in the performing arts center. It made no sense and I loved it.[/size]

This is surprisingly normal at most universities, from small liberal arts colleges up to large state schools.
Just because it is not physics doesn't mean it is not science.
http://www.iomalfunction.blogspot.com <---- A collection of humorous one liners and science jokes.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:42 am UTC

I have no idea what this is about, can someone explain to non-comp sci students?
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

hamstap85

Postby hamstap85 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 am UTC

you're a member of tautology club if you're a member of tautology club, but to become a member of recursive club, you need to be a member of recursive club

hamstap85

Postby hamstap85 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:47 am UTC

mieulium wrote:I have no idea what this is about, can someone explain to non-comp sci students?

you don't have to know much about comp sci to notice that the course requires itself

weex

Postby weex » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Alt text: "The prereqs for CPSC 357, the class on package management, are CPCS 432, CPSC 357, and glibc2.5 or later."

I would like to know what's so special about glibc 2.5 that makes it a target? This is precisely the kind of cultural question search engines don't help much with unless someone's blogged about it.
Salvador Dali wrote:Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.

Simple Pen Art, now with an Archive page.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:12 am UTC

Kinda funny but not really.

A problem in my university days is that they decided to change a lot of the courses so they were all 3 credit points, rather than a mixture including 2 and 4 credit points (some stupid idea of standardisation :P). This meant that a few courses were replaced by alternate versions with a different course number. A couple of the former 4cp units were prerequisites to several other units taken by software engineering students such as myself. The online registration system only recognised the new 3cp units as prerequisites when determining whether we were eligible for a unit. Which meant that over a couple of years, there were 8 or so units for which we could not register online, but instead had to fill out Waiver Application Forms (paper) and then chase the unit and course conveners around for signatures (and we had to do that ourselves).
So it was a case of bad software engineering and stupid course structure choices, leading to inconvenience for software engineering students.
That wasn't especially funny either. At least, not at the time. (We didn't cover package management in any depth either.)
(Then there was the issue of the third and fourth year engineering management units being replaced with 'equivalents' because there was only about 10 of us still in the course, which meant we had to do Accounting for Managers which had the lectures scheduled at the same time as Object Oriented Software Design. This led to me not attending a single AfM lecture (and doing most of my 'learning' during tutorial sessions) apart from the mid-semester exam done during lecture time. To this day I have no idea what the lecturer's name was or what he looked like. On the other hand I didn't really pay all that much attention in OOSD either. It didn't help that many of our lecturers weren't so good at speaking easily understandable English. And some of those who did were rather annoying to listen to. Did have a few good ones in the bunch though. But in any case it was good we could have our PDAs or laptops in lectures and get some work done. Plus Warfare Incorporated was fun over bluetooth on Palm OS. But I can't complain too much or they'd want my University Medal back :P)

oops, rambling again.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

furgle

Postby furgle » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:21 am UTC

Althizor

Postby Althizor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:30 am UTC

It would be a nice class to teach. You wouldn't have to do anything.

Anyone that manages to successfully register for the course automatically passes.

Mr. Burke

Postby Mr. Burke » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:45 am UTC

Another “apply a concept of computer science to real life” comic? Seriously?

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 am UTC

genius, but that is the final exam, not the class...

any examples of this in an actual linux repository?

teaser

Postby teaser » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:54 am UTC

hamstap85 wrote:to become a member of recursive club, you need to be a member of recursive club

To become a member of recursive club is easy, but you'll have to guarantee that some day you'll leave the club.

PaulC1956

Postby PaulC1956 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:57 am UTC

Reminds me of a book I once read that had a guy in the index with the only page number being that page of the index. Wish I could remember the book...
What was I doing reading the index in that much detail? I have no idea.

In Gödel, Escher, Bach, the index entry for "chunked versions of this book" cites the page range of the index.

tagno25

Postby tagno25 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:07 am UTC

f1g2h311 wrote:Found this extra funny because my college actually did this by accident one year with a Computer Science course. As expected, no one could get into the class until they fixed it.

The college I attended would allow you take a class if the prerequisite was being taken at the same time.

punto

Postby punto » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:25 am UTC

wait till they get to Linkers

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:33 am UTC

PaulC1956 wrote:In Gödel, Escher, Bach, the index entry for "chunked versions of this book" cites the page range of the index.

Not strictly related, but in an old maths revision book I had the index entries for "lies" and "damned lies" pointed to the statistics section.
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

deadline

Postby deadline » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:36 am UTC

Can anyone make out what the cut-off course listing at the bottom of the image reads?

What I've figured out so far:
It looks like the prereqs include PHIL 101.
The department is Computer Science.
It's a 400-level course.
The last word of the description is "design".

The1exile

Postby The1exile » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 am UTC

deadline wrote:Can anyone make out what the cut-off course listing at the bottom of the image reads?

What I've figured out so far:
It looks like the prereqs include PHIL 101.
The department is Computer Science.
It's a 400-level course.
The last word of the description is "design".

Universe design, probably for Real Programmers (tm)?
mosc wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The military wrote custom PS3 software and bought a bunch of them for some very specific application.

A modern warfare lan party, duh.

LordBritish

Postby LordBritish » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:54 am UTC

weex wrote:

I would like to know what's so special about glibc 2.5 that makes it a target? This is precisely the kind of cultural question search engines don't help much with unless someone's blogged about it.

The most recent version of glibc which is available is at the moment 2.3. So thie prerequisite is currently not fulfillable. In the future, though, the joke on this might not work anymore.

Can anybody explain the "James Bond eats a sandwich" joke to me please?
In vacuum, you are no longer a sucker.

now to something completely different: http://demesos.blogspot.com

mojibake

Postby mojibake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:58 am UTC

The1exile wrote:
PaulC1956 wrote:In Gödel, Escher, Bach, the index entry for "chunked versions of this book" cites the page range of the index.

Not strictly related, but in an old maths revision book I had the index entries for "lies" and "damned lies" pointed to the statistics section.

While on the topic, the good ol' SICP indexes "magician" as "See numerical analyst".

hrasdt

Postby hrasdt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 am UTC

hintss wrote:any examples of this in an actual linux repository?

The Gentoo portage tree occasionally gets one, where packages block each other. It's usually sorted out within a day though.

Also, just emerged ImageMagick, to rotate a bunch of images, which has Boost as a dependency. Sometimes, precompiled distros sounds reeeally good...

hellmitre

Postby hellmitre » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 am UTC

I think dependency loops are really just recursive jokes. The packages thus involved aren't real; they're just there to mess with people.
Kirby gives presents! And then he inhales them and becomes the semi-automatic gas operated carbine weapon he gave you! Kapow kapow!

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:20 am UTC

Yo dawg, I heard you like dependency, so I put a dependency class in your dependency class, so you can depend while you depend.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:28 am UTC

This doesn't have and recursion, but does a have a certain similarity. Some time in the late 80s or early 90s, there was a job posting which required the applicant have 20 years experience in Unix/C programming. Depending on the exact date of the posting, there were either no qualified applicants anywhere or just a handful (like a dozen or so and three of those would have had last names of Thompson, Kernighan, and Ritchie).

I never saw this myself, but just heard about it secondhand. Personally, I've had doubts about it, since I've never seen a posting with requirements of more than 4 or 5 years programming in any particular environment or language. Anyone else remember anything like this?
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:43 am UTC

Hah!
Also reminds me of a programming textbook a friend of mine had, where in the glossary it had these gems:
"Infinite loop: A loop that does not terminate. See loop, infinite"
"Loop, infinite: A loop that does not terminate. See Infinite loop"
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

jonas

Postby jonas » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:06 am UTC

This is against the rules in our university, so the Time Travel course is using a loophole in the regulations: they collect the homework from us at the start of term and give the homework exercises at the end of term.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 am UTC

I audited the class and took it the next semester.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”