90's or 90s?

For the discussion of language mechanics, grammar, vocabulary, trends, and other such linguistic topics, in english and other languages.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

90's or 90s?

Postby Mavrisa » Sat May 22, 2010 12:03 am UTC

I seem to get annoyed when people use 90's rather than 90s, but I never correct anyone on it, because I don't, in fact, know if it's correct or not. Anyone care to set me straight on this?
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."
Mavrisa

Re: 90's or 90s?

Postby meatyochre » Sat May 22, 2010 12:16 am UTC

90s is correct. Apostrophes are only used to show possession or for contractions. But many people use them quasi-randomly to set things apart.

My favorite apostrophic faux-pas are the mailboxes that say "The Williams's." I always ask myself, "The Williams's what? House? Dog? Do they only own that sign?" The correct way of showing more than one Williams is Williamses.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

meatyochre

Postby goofy » Sat May 22, 2010 5:44 am UTC

both are correct.
The apostrophe is sometimes used with -s to form the plural of letters, numerals, abbreviations, symbols, and words as words. […] The use of -'s to form the plurals of numerals, abbreviations and symbols is not now as common as pluralization with simple -s: 1970s, CPUs, &s are more likely to be found than their apostrophized counterparts.

MWDEU
Last edited by goofy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
goofy

Postby gmalivuk » Sat May 22, 2010 6:00 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:But many people use them quasi-randomly to set things apart.
Many people use them for pluralizing numbers, acronyms and abbreviations, and proper names that already end in s. How is that anything like random?
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Goplat » Mon May 24, 2010 2:47 am UTC

Neither. It should be '90s, with the apostrophe showing where something has been left out (the first two digits), just like other English contractions.

Edit: Unless you're actually talking about the years 90 A.D. through 99 A.D., in which case 90s is correct. :)
Goplat

Postby Mavrisa » Mon May 24, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

Goplat wrote:Neither. It should be '90s

Hah, good point.

meatyochre wrote:My favorite apostrophic faux-pas are the mailboxes that say "The Williams's." I always ask myself, "The Williams's what? House? Dog? Do they only own that sign?"

We had a debate about the possessives of names ending in 's' in English a couple of years ago (for some reason, 'Jesus' was the only example we could think of at the time :? It led to a lot of people shouting "Jesus' is stupid!" which was pretty funny...), and your example of Williams reminded me of that. Should it be Williams', or Williams's? You obviously think it's the latter, but what do others think? And how do you pronounce the result?
"I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's, she's never gonna let us relax."
Mavrisa

Postby goofy » Tue May 25, 2010 1:38 am UTC

it appears from the evidence that there was never a golden age in which the rules for the use of the possessive apostrophe in English were clear-cut and known, understood, and followed by most educated people.
- The Oxford Companion to the English Language
goofy

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Mavrisa wrote:
Goplat wrote:Neither. It should be '90s

Hah, good point.

meatyochre wrote:My favorite apostrophic faux-pas are the mailboxes that say "The Williams's." I always ask myself, "The Williams's what? House? Dog? Do they only own that sign?"

We had a debate about the possessives of names ending in 's' in English a couple of years ago (for some reason, 'Jesus' was the only example we could think of at the time :? It led to a lot of people shouting "Jesus' is stupid!" which was pretty funny...), and your example of Williams reminded me of that. Should it be Williams', or Williams's? You obviously think it's the latter, but what do others think? And how do you pronounce the result?

It should be Williamses. No apostrophe since it's plural, not possessive.

Sorry to offend if I did, gmal. I've been bred an apostrophe purist. However, I am willing to buy that there's no historical consensus. That would certainly explain all the confusion regarding colloquial apostrophes that I've encountered over the years. My AP English teacher just drilled certain rules into my head, one of which was that you never apostrophize to pluralize, and I never thought to question her logic since it seemed to fit with a formal writing style. That kind of academic conditioning has thus far been unpossible to imlearn*!

*I'm trying to be funny :oops:

Can we at least agree that a sign advertising "10 bag's of popcorn for $1" is patently incorrect?

meatyochre

Postby masher » Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:

It should be Williamses. No apostrophe since it's plural, not possessive.

I read that as meaning "This is the mailbox that belongs to the house in which people with the name 'Williams' reside"

Therefore, it is possessive.
masher

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 25, 2010 3:31 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Sorry to offend if I did, gmal.
You weren't offensive, just wrong.
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 3:35 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
meatyochre wrote:Sorry to offend if I did, gmal.
You weren't offensive, just wrong.

Hence the "if." The implied "if not" didn't really warrant a response, unless you just wanted to be douchey for no reason.

meatyochre

Postby gmalivuk » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Meh, I tend to be kind of a douche to prescriptivists who make basic mistakes in their interpretations of how language is actually used.

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I conceded your point, pretty gracefully, and explained why I felt the way I did. It's your right to dislike me for my habits, I guess. I just don't see why it's still a big deal.

meatyochre

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 am UTC

Well in my defense, I'm only being partly serious and mostly just taking the piss at this point.

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby meatyochre » Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 am UTC

that's cool then.

meatyochre

Postby Nicad » Wed May 26, 2010 4:21 am UTC

Improper use of apostrophe's really annoys me.
Nicad

Postby phlip » Wed May 26, 2010 4:23 am UTC

Nicad wrote:Improper u'se of apo'strophe's really annoy's me.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby gmalivuk » Wed May 26, 2010 11:36 am UTC

''''''''' ''' '' ''''''''''' '''''' '''''' '''

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 26, 2010 11:43 am UTC

Nicad wrote:Improper use of apostrophe's really annoys me.

*twitch*
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby tastelikecoke » Sat May 29, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

90s are plural or not?
tastelikecoke

Postby Sizik » Sat May 29, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:90s are plural or not?

Plural. They're the years between 1990 and 1999.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.
Sizik

Postby Zamfir » Sun May 30, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

But about multiple 90s? Say you are writing about the similarities between the 1890s and 1990s, can you then write
" In both '90ses, there was a sense of anticipation."? or 90s's? '90's's ?
Zamfir

Postby phlip » Sun May 30, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

I believe the correct term would be "90ses, precious".

More seriously, in more formal writing I'd expect something like "decades of the '90s"... use a collective term to turn it back into a (grammatical) singular again, and then pluralise that. In the vein of "herds of cows" or whatnot.
While no one overhear you quickly tell me not cow cow.
but how about watch phone?
phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby RabbitWho » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

I do'nt see anything wrong with it.
RabbitWho

Postby brakos82 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:59 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:But about multiple 90s? Say you are writing about the similarities between the 1890s and 1990s, can you then write

If anybody says '90ses to me I'll want to choke them. Because it sounds very annoying when the voice in my head reads posts.

And I'll usually just say 90s, mostly because the apostrophe is 9 buttons away when I'm texting on T9.
Image Listen to the manic 8-bit laughter. LISTEN!
brakos82

Postby Zamfir » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

brakos82 wrote:
Zamfir wrote:But about multiple 90s? Say you are writing about the similarities between the 1890s and 1990s, can you then write

If anybody says '90ses to me I'll want to choke them. Because it sounds very annoying when the voice in my head reads posts.

And I'll usually just say 90s, mostly because the apostrophe is 9 buttons away when I'm texting on T9.

Buy a decent phone :)
Zamfir

Postby brakos82 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
brakos82 wrote:

Buy a decent phone :)

I've tried using a full keyboard before.... I hate it. :|
brakos82

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:39 am UTC

According to Truss, the convention of using apostrophes to pluralize decades, abbreviations, and whatnot existed in BrE well into the 80's, but today is most often encountered in AmE. It is often safest to use 90s, without the apostrophe, because then you'll get fewer emails from hypercorrective dolts who insist the apostrophe can't be used for plurals.

"In both '90ses, there was a sense of anticipation."? or 90s's? '90's's ?

I would probably recast the sentence to avoid those constructions altogether.

meatyochre wrote:Can we at least agree that a sign advertising "10 bag's of popcorn for $1" is patently incorrect?

Absolutely. At that price, what the hell are their profit margins? Better alert them quick before they go out of business.

Mavrisa wrote:We had a debate about the possessives of names ending in 's' in English a couple of years ago (for some reason, 'Jesus' was the only example we could think of at the time :? It led to a lot of people shouting "Jesus' is stupid!" which was pretty funny...), and your example of Williams reminded me of that. Should it be Williams', or Williams's? You obviously think it's the latter, but what do others think? And how do you pronounce the result?

Pronounce "Jesuses" and "Williamses", but style guides will disagree on the apostrophe convention. Generally, "historic" parties like Socrates and Jesus get Socrates' and Jesus', while Dr. Williams will have to suffer Williams's. But newspapers like to save on printing costs so are more likely to give everyone the s' treatment, while academic journals will splurge on the extra s. We also tend to defer to house conventions, so if you call your restaurant "James' Food Place Business" then that's how it goes.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby the-munich-man » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:06 pm UTC

To everybody being a douche (and naming other people a douche, myself now included, oh damn.) I'm an English teacher. Hello. If Language did not evolve to suit the masses, then we would all still be talking in thees and thous. Note: no apostrophe. Why not? It's not possessive. But there's an apostrophe there. And in my sentence. Ah, well then that's a contraction, isn't it? in 100 years time, we may all be talking TXT SPK, WTH NO NN-CPITL LTTRS, ND HRDLY NE VWLS. and some things written phonetically. look at the difference between AE and BE (American and British English) Plough - British, original English. It looks nothing like it should. AE: Plow. much better, easier to spell, and to teach, I must say. How many people here say "Five items or less?" think about that one, then get back to me.
the-munich-man

Postby Lioness » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

brakos82 wrote:

I can't find the apostrophe on my phone, which saddens me greatly.
Lioness

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

the-munich-man wrote:in 100 years time, we may all be talking TXT SPK, WTH NO NN-CPITL LTTRS, ND HRDLY NE VWLS.
I'd be willing to bet a million dollars that will never happen.

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

It seems English teachers, such as the-munich-man, are not required to understand formal punctuation, sentence structure, capitalization, or common grammatical sense these days. Yet they still dole out prescriptions. My my.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Bobber » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
the-munich-man wrote:in 100 years time, we may all be talking TXT SPK, WTH NO NN-CPITL LTTRS, ND HRDLY NE VWLS.
But then you would have to wait forever to win the bet!
I don't twist the truth, I just make it complex.
mrbaggins wrote:There are two tools in life, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
Bobber
contains Disodium Phosphate

Postby brakos82 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

Bobber wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
But then you would have to wait forever to win the bet!

And odds are we're all dead by then.
brakos82

Postby Angus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:06 am UTC

I can't work out how to quote things, so I'll just address this to gmalivuk. Statistically everything will happen given infinite time, so you might as well pay up now.
Angus

Postby Promac » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm UTC

Isn't "Williams's" a contraction of "Williamses"?
Promac

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

Promac wrote:Isn't "Williams's" a contraction of "Williamses"?

Well, no. I mean, it is functionally identical in this instance, but take "Brent's clothes" and "Brentses clothes". Clearly not a contraction, you see?
this isn't my cow
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Angus wrote:Statistically everything will happen given infinite time, so you might as well pay up now.
No. If you flip a coin an infinite number of times, it will never come up pancakes. If humanity is destroyed next year, no one will compete in the 2012 Olympics.

(cis male/he/him/his)
gmalivuk
A debonaire peeing style

Postby Promac » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:
Promac wrote:Isn't "Williams's" a contraction of "Williamses"?

Well, no. I mean, it is functionally identical in this instance, but take "Brent's clothes" and "Brentses clothes". Clearly not a contraction, you see?

Well, the word "contraction" simply means a shortening which, in the case of written language, is indicated by the inclusion of an apostrophe where the missing letters used to be.

In your examples, the former denotes posession, not contraction, so removing the apostrophe would not result in "Brentses", it would simply be "Brentss" but would obviously then be incorrect.
Promac

Postby Promac » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Angus wrote:Statistically everything will happen given infinite time, so you might as well pay up now.
No. If you flip a coin an infinite number of times, it will never come up pancakes...

Depends on the universe in which the flipping is done.

Interestingly - if you flip a coin an infinite number of times, it is possible that it will never come up tails.
Promac

Next

Return to Language/Linguistics