[UK] Oxford, at the start of the new term?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Prelates, Moderators General

[UK] Oxford, at the start of the new term?

Postby beyondweird » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

So, I know there's already an Oxford thread, but it's 2 pages long and long dead, so I figured I'd start a brand new shiny one. If that's not okay, do delete/merge this one.

So I know there was meant to be meetups at the start of last year, but they seemed to never materialise. Well, me and my lovely college wife are hoping to adopt ourselves some geek children, and thought maybe a xkcd meet at the beginning of Michaelmas (Winter) term might be nice so we could steal the newbies and meet some oldies?

I'd guess maybe Fresher's week wouldn't be the best time, because everyone is running around like a headless chicken, but how about some time in first week, which is about the 11th of October? (Or maybe earlier, since I know people who'll be back from August onwards)

Ideaswise, I'd suggest maybe a museum, or a picnic, or G&Ds (oh wondrous place of ice cream!)

(That or you could put it off till later in the term and come and see some shows I'd be involved in ;) )

But yes, what do people reckon?
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.
beyondweird

Re: [UK] Oxford, at the start of the new term?

Postby Trimethylxanthine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

end of Freshers week picnic sounds good :) (maybe sunday afternoon?)
I'm around from late august onwards probably, and will probably make some kind of awesome nerdy cookies for the occaision :D
Trimethylxanthine

Postby sirensinging » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Second the end of Freshers week meetup, mostly because I personally won't be around until the end of September. A little bit excited already to meet up :D

(Yes, I registered just so I could post this.)
sirensinging

Postby elixaduiii » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:27 am UTC

Do you have to be at the uni to come along too? I live just outside Oxford.
elixaduiii

Postby beyondweird » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:41 am UTC

Course not :) I just figured there might be more people during termtime/newbies who wanted to meet people. I'd love to meet non Oxford-Uni people :D
Everybody has a secret world inside of them...No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.
beyondweird

Postby Brightfeather » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Rawr! I don't think I have a choice in this, but f'r'all it's worth, I'll be coming.
Brightfeather

Postby Landak » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:21 am UTC

This sounds highly entertaining -- please count me in! I'm at St. Hugh's, anytime in full term is fine!
Landak

Postby elixaduiii » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Yo, is this still going ahead?
elixaduiii

Postby beyondweird » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Hopefully :D

I was thinking maybe the weekend at the end of first week (which is probably, if I remember correctly, the 16th/17th October?)
beyondweird

Postby Mumpy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Cool, this sounds good, where do people want to go?
Mumpy

Postby aliosha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:57 pm UTC

Can we not do something sooner? Although I anticipate having a fair bit to do, I'll probably only get busier as term goes on! And this sort of thing gets me all excitedly impatient.

Hilda's maths fresher here btw, who's everyone else?

Edit: I was also going to say, it's got to be G&Ds on St Aldates, although having said that it's bound to be packed to the rafters apart from 6am Sunday morning.
aliosha

Postby beyondweird » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:21 am UTC

You're going to have a mental Fresher's Week, and first week for me and the second years will be mad too :P Hence, the end of it.

G&Ds is always a good staple idea :)
beyondweird

Postby aliosha » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

At fresher's fair, I reckon it'd be a plan to be identifiable to each other. I'm going to be wearing merch...
aliosha

Postby ramanj » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Hiya everyone. Living in the UK temporarily; originally from Sweden. Haven't been active on these forums so I don't know any of you guys yet. But I might show up as well :D
ramanj

Postby beyondweird » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

aliosha wrote:At fresher's fair, I reckon it'd be a plan to be identifiable to each other. I'm going to be wearing merch...

We won't be there - you get set times per college, second years have a different day to go, and not everyone is from Oxford university. Also, Trimethylxanthine and I both have exams for some of Fresher's Fair.
beyondweird

Postby aliosha » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:18 am UTC

My cunning plan is ruined :(
aliosha

Postby RoadieRich » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:22 am UTC

aliosha wrote:My cunning plan is ruined :(

Do it anyway, you never know what might come of it.
roband wrote:Mav is a cow.

UniJam 2012: Inter-university Games Jam hosted by Nottingham Trent University DevSoc.
nlug: Nottingham Linux User Group
DevSoc: The Nottingham Trent University Software Development Society
RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby beyondweird » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:49 am UTC

aliosha wrote:My cunning plan is ruined :(

Yeah, Oxford does that to you :P
beyondweird

Postby Mumpy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

So when are we actually going to do this? We should start planning srsly. srsly.
Mumpy

Postby beyondweird » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

Haha, I know, I fail so hard - since moving back to Oxford my life has just been arghhhhhhh!

HOW about...

Sunday, 17th October.

In the afternoon, about...2pmish? Anddd we could meet at G&Ds on Aldates, outside, because if it's full we can migrate somewhere else.

And...oooh! We could go the Ashmolean? I've not actually been yet, and it's meant to be quite nice. That or someone thinks of a better idea.

Also, don't worry about being identifable - I'll get there about 1.45ish, and I currently have the rainbow fringe seen in the photo -> but it's now blue not white! So you'll spot me easily, and then say hi :)
beyondweird

Postby Kulantan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

beyondweird wrote:And...oooh! We could go the Ashmolean? I've not actually been yet, and it's meant to be quite nice. That or someone thinks of a better idea.

The refit has been really good for it. However, as always, it doesn't hold an candle to the Museum of Natural History/Pitt Rivers which is/are the very best museum/s in Oxford.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.
Kulantan

Postby beyondweird » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

So...tomorrow still gonna work?

I'll be outside G&Ds, Aldates, from 1.45ish. I have blue hair and a rainbow fringe, you can't miss me. :)
beyondweird

Postby Mumpy » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:23 am UTC

I'll be there. People should definitely come down if they spot this afore it's too late.
Mumpy

Postby aliosha » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Wheeee! Well, that was fun, if a little of a whirlwind.
aliosha

Postby ramanj » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Great to meet you all, guys. It was fun to listen to all of your theatre-ish stuff. :)
ramanj

Postby Mumpy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:30 pm UTC

Yeah t'was good, hope we didn't bore you too much with theatre-y-ness. (Or creep you out too much with songs about necrophiliacs)
Mumpy

Postby ramanj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 am UTC

Nah, that was just fun to listen to. I'm not that easily creeped out. If it seemed like I was, it was probably just a combination of sleep deprivation and struggling to understand what you were all saying (I've only been in the UK for six weeks, after all...). But I must say I felt uplifted by the spirit and enthusiasm from everyone there, actually. Now I feel like going home to my uni in Sweden and joining my impro theatre group again, and start reading a bunch of geek-literature books :D
ramanj

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

Are there any other XKCDians kicking about Oxford wanting to meet up at G&Ds at some point? I feel as though I should perhaps get the hell out of my college more often and meet some new people.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.
thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Are there any other XKCDians kicking about Oxford wanting to meet up at G&Ds at some point? I feel as though I should perhaps get the hell out of my college more often and meet some new people.
Which G&Ds? I don't mind so long as it's an evening when I'm not doing pool.

Which college are you at?
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:Are there any other XKCDians kicking about Oxford wanting to meet up at G&Ds at some point? I feel as though I should perhaps get the hell out of my college more often and meet some new people.
Which G&Ds? I don't mind so long as it's an evening when I'm not doing pool.

Which college are you at?

I'm at St Hilda's, how about you? I was thinking the one near Fire and Stone which seems roughly in the middle of town, it's down near the Odeon Cinema I believe. I'm pretty much free most evenings unless I have a rehearsal on, I guess we can see if anyone else has any interest/particular days they're busy. As much as I love people at my college, the collegiate system really does segregate people sometimes...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.
thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby Angua » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

I'm at Merton.

I can't remember one near fire and stone - I know there's one opposite Dukes of Cambridge which is towards Jericho - the closest one to the centre of town is probably the one opposite Christchurch on St Algates. There's also one on Cowley which I pass conveniently on my way to pool (and if people live out, then that's probably closest for them).

If we do it next week, then I have pool Tuesday 6.30-8 and thursday 5.30-7 but am fairly free otherwise. We should probably do it next week, or people will lose interest.
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Mumpy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:27 am UTC

The one near fire and stone is the st. aldates one, I think. Also, I live all of 3 minutes away from the cowley one, but will be leaving oxford tomorrow (today?) so daaaang.
Mumpy

Postby Angua » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 am UTC

Mumpy wrote:The one near fire and stone is the st. aldates one, I think. Also, I live all of 3 minutes away from the cowley one, but will be leaving oxford tomorrow (today?) so daaaang.

Fire and stone is on George street, and St aldates is opposite christchurch. They don't feel very close together in my mind (though as I walk everywhere, things feel like they're further away).
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Mumpy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:34 am UTC

Well, it was the nearest one I could think of to odean cinema, but I don't actually know where the jerico one is (student part of town being all studenty and stuff)
Mumpy

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

So, no one else seems to be interested/able to come. Thicknavyrain - if you don't mind just me I don't mind meeting up at G&Ds one night. I've only met two xkcdians so far. PM me if so and I'll give you my number.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:25 am UTC

Angua wrote:So, no one else seems to be interested/able to come. Thicknavyrain - if you don't mind just me I don't mind meeting up at G&Ds one night. I've only met two xkcdians so far. PM me if so and I'll give you my number.

Sounds good, I'll send a message your way.
thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby simo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

I just moved up here for work.

Any XKCDians fancy doing something? I'm up for anything!
simo

Postby Angua » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

Might do, so long as it doesn't take too long. Trinity term is exam term!
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

I live not too far away so, if you guys do do something, I'll try to be there. :)
Gear wrote:I'm not sure if it would be possible to constantly eat enough chocolate to maintain raptor toxicity without killing oneself.

Magnanimous wrote:The potassium in my body is emitting small amounts of gamma rays, so I consider myself to have nuclear arms. Don't make me hug you.
eSOANEM
364 days more

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

I've gone further afield for xkcd meets, so I'm tentatively interested.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Next

Return to XKCD Meetups