Team Fortress 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: Team Fortress 2

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:27 am UTC

Well, I assume it's a community weapon we're getting, though I have no idea what it does. I don't know if you interpreted that quote correctly though, it sounds more like the community weapon isn't the only melee slot item the engi is getting, suggesting there's a 4th one?
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:46 am UTC

Hmm, reading it again it does seem like they're suggesting another community wrench actually, and there's still space left on that workbench.

More edits: Hightower looks like a payload race map to me.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:15 am UTC

I have returned, yay yay. I will get the server IP here soonish, and I'm currently in negotiations to get us the server for an evening every now and again. Since stuff is starting to get moving, what kind of days and times are best for everyone?

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
Xeio wrote:I wonder what happened to Watchmaker|'s profile. It was linked at the bottom of the page, but it didn't seem particularly relevant to anything. Now the profile doesn't exist.

TF2 Blog wrote:[The Golden Wrench] isn't the only melee slot item the Engineer's getting...just a bonus!
Watchmaker|'s Profile wrote:Yes, the WrenchMaker| joke has been made.
Not relevant to anything?

EDIT: Almost forgot:
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupd ... ionaryman/
Good old Mr Conagher is looking pretty mannly, don't you think?

He looks suspiciously australian. Clearly he shouldn't have taken the metal from the announcer.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Success! IP is 81.19.223.41:27019. Once we have a time picked, my friend will password the server and I'll post it here. A few people from their clan, Lethal, will be around and while they are cool for the most part, one or two can be pretty juvenile, so consider yourselves warned (for example homophobic language is not uncommon from one guy). I'll ask them to stop while we're there, but no promises- the mute button will be your friend. The server will be on Valve rotation largely, although they might have put in a few of the more popular community maps by the time we get round to playing. Right now we need to find out what sort of timezones people are in and what days they can play- British summer time (GMT+1) for me, and I'm free most evenings.

EDIT: Actually it would just be two guys from their clan popping in and out who are both pretty cool, so no worries about immaturity.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

I'm up for it every day except for Tuesday and Sunday evenings ( 1800 to 2000 GMT ), when I'm playing with my Modern Warfare clan :)
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:35 pm UTC

GMT+2 here. I'm on holiday so any day of the week is fine.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

I'm also free most evenings, UK time. Some Redfort would be nice.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Any time during the UK evening is good for me, 5 PM onwards usually.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Ishindri wrote:Day 3: Valve is fucking with our heads. A new map, tantalizing hints of the new wrench, and a hidden link indicating MOVABLE BUILDINGS.

Movable buildings actually makes a lot of sense. The over-all theme of the updates has generally been changing how classes play and sort of shoring up their weak spots, and the earlier posts that mentioned ideas for the engineer update specifically seemed to be about giving the engineer some more mobility. Buildings that would allow the engineer to leave his nest didn't do so well, but a mobile nest might be a better way to achieve a similar ultimate goal.
It would also be pretty handy to be able to build up a sentry near the home base, and bring it with you to where the action is. Especially on attack/defend maps when the point you're guarding moves, and you have to destroy your sentries :(

Lokter

Postby Lokter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

There is another hidden link. To something called "The Handyman", the little Australium page on the "board", if you click on the central Icon it takes you here:
http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/handyman/

Spoiler:
Last edited by Lokter on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

http://www.teamfortress.com/engineerupdate/handyman/

That's a nice robotic hand you have there...

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

Last wrench to go, quickly, everyone craft your entire inventory so I can own you with my inventory items.

EDIT: Gunslinger... will be interesting. Possibly much better on offense since it will allow an engineer to setup a dispenser/mini sentry very fast, though at half a normal sentries damage and no repairing, every class is going to walk all over it without some serious backup. Though, it might be interesting combined with frontier justice...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 am UTC

Gunslinger will be... interesting. Looking forward to engie drops (he's one of my favorite classes, though I really ought to look into proper sentry placement on maps instead of just going with what seems ok at the time).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 am UTC

Seems like the Gunslinger will be best combined with the Wrangler - puts its DPS back at the level of a normal Level 1 sentry, while cutting incoming damage by 2/3.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:50 am UTC

Gunslinger is fine on its own or with any combination, I reckon. On its own the main point is the health and speedy annoying sentries. Although, consider that 3 hits with it is a guaranteed heavy kill. They've intentionally made them work in various combinations.

Also the new wrench looks pretty good, bleed damage makes it really dangerous even if it can't crit.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:07 am UTC

gunslinger looks like it might be useful for curbing scout rushes as well.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:29 am UTC

I can't really see scout rushes working at all for the next week... past then, you're probably right anyway.

Website

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:05 am UTC

All the cool kids are playing spy, demoman and soldier for the next three weeks anyway. I was the only spy on my team this morning, was up to about fifteen destructions in no time at all.

thc

Postby thc » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Damnit, I hate how everyone already has all the new items. Achievement unlocks ftl. :(

Lokter

Postby Lokter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

If your bored of the engi spam, just get out the homewrecker and then have a Medic Uber you.

The number of dead buildings by the time your finished is somewhere in the 20's.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

thc wrote:Damnit, I hate how everyone already has all the new items. Achievement unlocks ftl. :(
I looted two wranglers in the first 5 minutes. :P

And I was playing demo!

Lokter

Postby Lokter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
thc wrote:Damnit, I hate how everyone already has all the new items. Achievement unlocks ftl. :(
I looted two wranglers in the first 5 minutes. :P

And I was playing demo!

Lucky you. I was playing all morning, not always as Engineer, but just on Tf2.

And I didnt get ANYTHING. :(

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:39 pm UTC

I've been achievement farming all morning, just like every other update day (except medic).

As expected, the new shotgun is crazy powerful if your sentry's in a good spot, definitely in for a nerf soon I reckon.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

The mini sentry is verrah interesting as well. Bloody annoying to deal with, it just appears so damn fast. I've had problem with some engis coming in to melee fight me but dropping it just before we engage and it's such a bugger.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 pm UTC

I love the southern hospitality. can't wait till I get the gunslinger the boost in health will be extremely helpful. On orange its hilarious to see the spawn room be a sentry factory at the beginning of a game.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

I suppose I should have looked at the achievements:
Pownd on the Range
Kill 10 enemies outside the normal sentry gun range using the Wrangler.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:44 pm UTC

the wrench is made from ambassador+scrap metal if that info helps anyone
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:the wrench is made from ambassador+scrap metal if that info helps anyone
Helped me, thanks!

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:the wrench is made from ambassador+scrap metal if that info helps anyone
Helped me, thanks!

Helped me too.

I don't know if I'll be using it much, though. I don't like extra fire damage.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 am UTC

Oops, little late. I'm GMT -7, but I'm around any time.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:05 am UTC

Ok, so how about tonight (Saturday the 10th) about 8 O'clock British time? Easily twerked if that's not ok, obviously.
Last edited by Rakysh on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:07 am UTC

Considering I think the range is from -7 to +2, 1 PM and 10 PM don't seem unreasonable. I'm in.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:13 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:Ok, so how about tonight (Saturday the 10th) about 8 O'clock British time? Easily twerked, obviously.

I'll probably be able to make it.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:18 am UTC

Sounds cool. It will be valve rotation, probably just messing around, getting to know each other. It could easily devolve into a taunt war, for example. I'm fairly well identifiable, but if people with odd names could post them here, that would aid post match gloating which is obviously vital. If we don't have enough people personal invites can easily be extended.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:18 am UTC

I usually stick to nbonaparte, but I occasionally use Feynzilla.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:07 am UTC

well, I played engy for a bit, I like the new movable building mechanic, it seems useful but balanced, definitely provides an opportunity for people like me to stay interested play engy with the ability to move my nest to where the action is.

I got a wrangler drop pretty quickly and played around with it, can be lots of fun in the right place.
As expected though, it leaves you pretty vulnerable to spies, it's slightly balanced by the ability to spy check with the sentry, but it seems from my experience that it actually isn't much good for that outside of sentry positions that are secure anyway. But to be effective with the wrangler, it's usually better to be out from directly behind your sentry, which makes you vulnerable, and the cooldown after use means that a spy can stab the engy and have plenty of time to sap the sentry before it turns on him.

I got a frontier justice via achievements, but didn't do much with it, I usually died before my sentry so I didn't get many 'revenge' crits.

I crafted a Southern Hospitality out of a spare ambassador, but didn't use it much, then I got an extra frontier justice and used it to craft an engie token, but when I crafted that with a melee slot token, I got another southern hospitality, so no Gunslinger for me yet :(

Anyway, after that I went spy and had a very excellent night, the Engies new mobility has made them much more vulnerable to backstabs. Likely when things cool down and there are fewer engies running around that are more experienced with the new update, there will be a bit less stabbing going on, but it will still be more than before.
The new update does a lot to encourage engies to get out from behind the nest, not just the movable buildings, but the wrangler as I mentioned encourages engies to stand out from behind their sentry, where they can be more easily stabbed and allows a spy to run up with little to no warning and stab+sap. And the gunslinger discourages any kind of nesting, though one or two engies tossing a mini sentry up in an unexpected place can be an effective tactic all it's own.
One thing that does balance this out though is, a little unexpectedly for me, the frontier justice. I ran into an apparently unattended nest a few time, sapping the crap out of it as normal, only to get nailed by revenge crits from an engie rushing in just too late to save his buildings.

Over-all, both from the perspective of having played with the new weapons myself, and having gone up against them as I spy, I'd say this is a very balanced update, possibly the best so far. Engies may be more vulnerable to spies now in many situations, but they do have some surprises in the form of mini-sentries and frontier justice revenge crits that can make a spy's life a lot more interesting, and in balance, they've gained a lot of new capabilities against other classes. This update has very successfully shifted the role of the engineer to be more mobile and more effective in the open than before.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 am UTC

I'm yakushi12345

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:49 am UTC

The problems arise when you have a critical mass of engi's- say 8- on a point. Half use the wrangler, half don't, so sneaky spy stabbing and sapping wont work as you'll get nailed by the four sentries that aren't being wrangled, and you can't get them from long range because the four that are. Ubers just get knocked back. It really is impenetrable.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:25 am UTC

Rakysh wrote:The problems arise when you have a critical mass of engi's- say 8- on a point.

fuck... How do you take down an 8-engi nest? Spies and demomen, I'd think.

Return to “Gaming”