Futuroomba!

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Malice

Re: Futurama

Postby Malice » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:48 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:Fry's stupidity was kind of how the series started, Delivering a pizza for a Mr. I. C. Wiener. It's also been a pretty major plot point since it's been revealed
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Do you remember why? Because Fry is his own Grampa!

Spoiler:
Well, he did do the nasty in the pasty.

I agree that this episode was really good. It had the same kind of three-act structure as the movies did, but instead of being radical shifts in subject matter and tone, these seemed to build on each other nicely, so that it all hung together rather coherently.

Also it was very funny. "Didn't we used to be a package delivery company?"

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm UTC

Fun fact: The 15 puzzle on the front of the museum is solvable, but the one on the side is not. Such a shame.

Also: I agree with everyone, they do seem to have gotten back into the swing of things again :D

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

dardarness

Postby dardarness » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Episode 5 - The Duh-Vinci Code was the best so far this season. I hope they keep up with this though. I was getting tired of all those commentary-type episodes they were going for in the earlier eps.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:32 am UTC

Fry has always been incredibly stupid. Anyone who disagrees with that has clearly been watching a different show than me. Maybe you've been watching the English translation of the Afghanimation clone of the show, "Glorious Time Wanderer's Adventures in the Name of Allah".

I didn't know they'd Afghanated "Doctor Who".

How much more Jewish and pathetic can Zoidberg get?

Yiddish. You mean Yiddish, not Jewish. Us modern Jews only really recognize Dr. Zoidberg as "that lobster who acts like my grandfather".

I'll definitely agree that Futurama has come entirely back on form. Bender's marriage to Amy ended perfectly. Mom's plot and the eyePhone actually made some funny, if not new, commentary on the so-called New Media. The Duh-Vinci Code was just raw, condensed fun in the forms of Leonardo da Vinci and Professor Farnsworth.

"We're back, baby!"
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Phill

Postby Phill » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:12 pm UTC

dardarness wrote:Episode 5 - The Duh-Vinci Code was the best so far this season. I hope they keep up with this though. I was getting tired of all those commentary-type episodes they were going for in the earlier eps.

I agree with this. It was genuinely funny - the previous episodes were a bit more like "Let's see how much social commentary we can ram down people's throats".

In my opinion the new series lost a lot of its subtleness, which was one of the qualitites which I think attracted me to the show in the first place. e.g. I still think they way they handled the God question in 'Godfellas' is one of the best treatments of said question in a 20 minute animated cartoon ;)

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:18 pm UTC

Phill wrote:
dardarness wrote:Episode 5 - The Duh-Vinci Code was the best so far this season. I hope they keep up with this though. I was getting tired of all those commentary-type episodes they were going for in the earlier eps.

I agree with this. It was genuinely funny - the previous episodes were a bit more like "Let's see how much social commentary we can ram down people's throats".

In my opinion the new series lost a lot of its subtleness, which was one of the qualitites which I think attracted me to the show in the first place. e.g. I still think they way they handled the God question in 'Godfellas' is one of the best treatments of said question in a 20 minute animated cartoon ;)

Indeed... my good chum.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Yeah, they're definitely back in full swing now.

Regarding the episode that just finished a minute ago (east coast):
Spoiler:
Another episode that closes on a montage with a song playing over it. They've done it before (Leela's Homeworld and Jurassic Bark are the two I can think of), but it still tugs at my heart.

I also liked the several continuity nods in the Central Bureaucracy, and the "Adobe Photo Shoppe" in Tijuana cracked me up.

mr_pathetic

Postby mr_pathetic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:34 am UTC

Baby robots... only in a cartoon. :D Great episode, excellent way to give bender his own back story.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Last night's episode was great. In the last few seconds
Spoiler:
I figured out Hermes was Inspector #5
but it only added to the show. Is Hermes' limbo experience being overdone this season?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

I do think the limbo was a bit overdone, but I liked the episode last night. It may have been my favorite this season so far. There was a gag early on that made me laugh out loud(I just wish I could remember what it was).

As for the plot:
Spoiler:
I picked up on Hermes being #5 when I saw the terminal in his old house.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:58 am UTC

emceng wrote:As for the plot:
Spoiler:
I picked up on Hermes being #5 when I saw the terminal in his old house.

Spoiler:
Yeah, me too, what with them having just established (in a Chekov's Gun way) that the terminals only work for their assigned operators... though I had suspicions a little earlier, when Hermes was trying to talk Bender into giving up the search, and Bender was beating up the wall... he just seemed to be a little bit too eager to give up. I was half expecting Bender's wall-punching to flip that picture frame next to where he was beating up the wall and reveal Hermes's face or something. But I was definitely expecting by the end that Inspector 5's identity would be revealed to Bender and drama would ensue... the reveal-but-not-to-Bender ending wasn't expected.

Unrelatedly: did anyone think the human-containing Rubik's Cube was a similar joke to the human-containing 15 puzzle from last week?

Also: gotta love the return of the alien language and its death-to-all-humans views of life...
Spoiler:
Need extra cash?

Melt down your old, unwanted humans.

We pay top dollar!

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Malice

Postby Malice » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Overall a pretty good episode, although I thought
Spoiler:
The end montage should have ended after young Hermes saved Bender; the rest of it was simply an explanation of plot elements that needed no explanation. If you're going to do the M. Night Shyamalan thing and flash back to all your clever little clues, you do it in a way that builds, not on your way out the door. Anyway the exposition would have been more acceptable if there had been something worthwhile after it--if the episode had ended on an emotional note and not "and this is how it worked out in those earlier scenes, remember those".

On the other hand I suppose that's just the way a bureaucrat would do it.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:47 pm UTC

I just saw "The Late Phillip J. Frye". Very funny from start to finish.
Spoiler:
I kept thinking they were going to do the circular time joke but it was still worth it. Where did they get it? I remember it from somewhere else, possibly the Simpsons.

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I just saw "The Late Phillip J. Frye". Very funny from start to finish.
Spoiler:
I kept thinking they were going to do the circular time joke but it was still worth it. Where did they get it? I remember it from somewhere else, possibly the Simpsons.

Spoiler:
there was that time when Fry work at the cryogenics lab and some guy said "I thought time was circular, and I wanted to meet Shakespeare" (Fry answers "no, it's linear")...not sure if that's what you mean
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:04 am UTC

I daresay it was quite possibly one of the best episodes ever made.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:57 am UTC

I wasn't all that impressed with the first two episodes of the new season, and I was a little worried that the show had somehow "lost it." Since then, just about every week has been better than the last. Before "Lethal Inspection" I was thinking that there hadn't been any episodes with strong story or emotional aspects. "Lethal Inspection," delivered decently on that level, but "The Late Philip J. Fry" really ranks as one of the show's top tier episodes on the emotional/story level.
Spoiler:
The destruction and creation of the universe was haunting a beautiful to my nerd-soul.

A fridge logic thing I noticed this season: In "Three Hundred Big Boys," Zoidberg (in IMO one of his best lines) tries to spend his $300 on, "One art please." To show how pitifully uncultured he was, but in "The Duh-Vinci Code," we learn that his doctorate is in art history. I guess I can forgive them since both lines were funny.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:05 am UTC

To me, most of the episodes so far have seen good but still somehow lacking some essential futurama-ness. Even the Duh-vinci code, which lots of people seem to think is where the new series hit it's stride, just seemd to lack a certain... je ne sais quoi.

However, I'm glad to say that The Late Phillip J. Fry felt just like Futurama should, and not once did I stop to think about how something seemed off, if anything, this latest episode was better than most of the episodes from seasons past, I hope the trend continues in this direction.

folkhero wrote:A fridge logic thing I noticed this season: In "Three Hundred Big Boys," Zoidberg (in IMO one of his best lines) tries to spend his $300 on, "One art please." To show how pitifully uncultured he was, but in "The Duh-Vinci Code," we learn that his doctorate is in art history. I guess I can forgive them since both lines were funny.

You can be knowledgeable about the history of art without having any idea of what art costs on the market today.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

dardarness

Postby dardarness » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

"The Late Philip J. Fry" is very, very, very good. :D
Spoiler:
Didn't you just love that destruction/creation sequence? Frakking A!

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

Yeah that was a certain kind of awesome. I did find it interesting that their time machine moved forward at exponentially increasing speed.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

I quite liked the montage myself. If you are unfamiliar with the song, may I suggest the excellent http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VnS8X8k3C8 ?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

Wow that song is awesome. One more for the mp3 player to listen to at work methinks. :mrgreen:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 am UTC

Yeah. Having heard the original before, I laughed so hard at the Futurama version I couldn't hear the lyrics.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:39 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
folkhero wrote:A fridge logic thing I noticed this season: In "Three Hundred Big Boys," Zoidberg (in IMO one of his best lines) tries to spend his $300 on, "One art please." To show how pitifully uncultured he was, but in "The Duh-Vinci Code," we learn that his doctorate is in art history. I guess I can forgive them since both lines were funny.

You can be knowledgeable about the history of art without having any idea of what art costs on the market today.
Also, no one said his doctorate is in Human art history. Or, in this case, Spiderian.
Zapp: The Spiderians, though weak and woman-like on the battlefield, are masters of the textile arts. Taste like king crab, by the way. Crazy bugs actually wove this tapestry of my heroic conquest while I was still killing them.

[Zoidberg scratches the tapestry and sniffs it.]

Zoidberg: What? It's not even scratch and sniff? But if rich people think it's good, I'll buy it. [He waves his $300 around.] One art, please!

[Mom laughs.]

Mom: What a clever impersonation of a stupid, poor person. How much is that placemat actually worth, Brannigan?

Zapp: Exactly $1 billion.

Mom: Now that's walking-around money!

[She blows her nose on her $300.]

If this was Star Wars, there'd now be an extensive Wiki page on how all Decapodian art is scratch and sniff.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 pm UTC

That was by far the best episode of this season. By far. And it saved the best joke for last, too. A++, would watch again with commentary.

mowdownjoe

Postby mowdownjoe » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 am UTC

Okay, tonight's episode was something I found pretty funny, mostly because my mother is a huge cat nut.
It's also nice they're addressing the whole "Nibbler talking to the crew" bit from the movies.
Meanwhile, they put on "Jurassic Bark" on right after.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

A futurama episode which contains a lolcat. It doesn't get much better than that.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:21 pm UTC

I liked how Amy reversed the rotation of the earth to correct the misconcepts of "clockwise" and counterclockwise. What's going to happen now that she has her doctorate? And how could they go to Mars and not reference the Mars rover? Sad, sad, so sad.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:I liked how Amy reversed the rotation of the earth to correct the misconcepts of "clockwise" and counterclockwise. What's going to happen now that she has her doctorate? And how could they go to Mars and not reference the Mars rover? Sad, sad, so sad.

They've been to mars so many times, it would be strange to reference the rover now.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Didn't they reference it once? Not entirely sure
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

dardarness

Postby dardarness » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:13 am UTC

Did anyone else get the Kurt Vonnegut reference? lol
Spoiler:
Bender: "His anus looks like an asterisk."

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:50 am UTC

I thought that was just a reference to how cat's bums look like asterisks.

dardarness

Postby dardarness » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I thought that was just a reference to how cat's bums look like asterisks.

someone clearly hasn't read Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. :D
Spoiler:

sje46

Postby sje46 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 am UTC

Everyone should definitely read that book.

But really though, cat butts really do look like that. my friend Catherine struts her asterisk around like nobody's business.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Honestly, the last episode, well, wasn't quite as good as others. The plot-holes!
Spoiler:
Why doesn't nibbler, the smallest of the friends, simply eat the cats?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:59 am UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Honestly, the last episode, well, wasn't quite as good as others. The plot-holes!
Spoiler:

(TVTROPES WARNING!) Or why didn't they just shoot them (TVTROPES WARNING!).

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Rewatched that episode again last night. I need to freaking sit and watch, not play EU3 while watching. Damn you awesome strategy game!

On topic - I did enjoy the episode. I also watched the one with the 80s guy. In it MomCorp has a spaceship that is oddly shaped. Does anyone know what it is supposed to be a copy of? I'm sure it's some sci-fi in joke that I am missing.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Rewatched that episode again last night. I need to freaking sit and watch, not play EU3 while watching. Damn you awesome strategy game!

On topic - I did enjoy the episode. I also watched the one with the 80s guy. In it MomCorp has a spaceship that is oddly shaped. Does anyone know what it is supposed to be a copy of? I'm sure it's some sci-fi in joke that I am missing.

This ship? I think it looks like a mix of Mom's hairdo and a Cylon ship.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:40 pm UTC

existential_elevator wrote:Honestly, the last episode, well, wasn't quite as good as others. The plot-holes!
Spoiler:

I thought the same thing, and he double deus ex machina of
Spoiler:
first Amy realising that running her machine backwards would restart the earth's rotation, and Nibbler's cuteness inspiring them to move it

was a bit too lazy.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:03 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Shouldn't that have actually sped up the cat's planet even more instead of halting it again though?

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Shouldn't that have actually sped up the cat's planet even more instead of halting it again though?

I guess that depends on whether the universe is more interested in conserving energy or angular momentum.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”