Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: *geek-gasm* IT'S OFFICIAL!! (Starcraft 2)

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:
I don't like how you have to requalify for every team combo.

What would you suggest? If I pair up with a diamond ranked friend for my placement matches, how on earth can you tell my skill level?

Qualify once for 2v2, and if you do an arranged team you get put in which every player has a higher ranking.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Qualify once for 2v2, and if you do an arranged team you get put in which every player has a higher ranking.
Did the change that from the beta then?

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:Qualify once for 2v2, and if you do an arranged team you get put in which every player has a higher ranking.
Did the change that from the beta then?

Thats what he was suggesting, its not how it currently is.

The thing is, two 2v2 random gold players playing an arranged team could very easily be diamond level, where as the gold random players they get paired up against are just gold. With an arranged team you can work out tactics beforehand. You can practice 2v2 strategies. You can do all sorts of things that make an arranged 2v2 team much better than a random one, even with players of all the exact same skill.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

does anyone know a good counter to 4 warpgate? I'm a terran player...protoss jumps on me with his speedy warped crap, and then he expands while i rebuild. It's just so fast.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

mutestorm wrote:does anyone know a good counter to 4 warpgate? I'm a terran player...protoss jumps on me with his speedy warped crap, and then he expands while i rebuild. It's just so fast.

3 rax with reapers. Thing is your gonna have to micro. I don't get why toss players 4 gate. I always 3 gate and that seems to mass an amount of troops much faster. By the time I would 4 gate I would have wasted more resources on the gate.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:51 pm UTC

I can generally keep four gates running continuously within a few minutes of starting the game. It's good if you're really serious about your zealot rush.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

Just my 2 cents: Whoever designed the infested Terrans, has watched Slither.

Can't say much more about the game, since I only played 3 campaign missions at a friend.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Anybody got tips for PvT? Terran counters all the good stuff (DTs, Void Rays, etc) too easily. They turtle up so I can't Zealot rush, then just run me over with a bazillion Banshees, Siege Tanks, Vikings, and whatnot.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Zealot rush can still work through a turtle if you are fast enough. Are you chrono boosting your gateways? Building at least three?
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

If they're turtling, expo out right away.

That's about it
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:If they're turtling, expo out right away.

That's about it

this. blink stalkers are nice harass if you can micro them well enough and still macro. phoenixes are nice to harass/counter tanks, which forces him to get anti-air which allows you to counter that unit (probably marines, so go charge zealots. be sure to upgrade your weapons too as then zealots go chop chop

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 am UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Terran counters all the good stuff (DTs, Void Rays, etc) too easily.
That's the easy stuff, not the good stuff.

just run me over with a bazillion Banshees, Siege Tanks, Vikings, and whatnot.

The real danger PvT is Ghosts. Otherwise Zealots, Immortals and some Stalkers would mop that up quite handily.

And it's not particularly hard to break a Terran turtle until they start pumping out tanks.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:15 am UTC

Awesome PvZ strategy I just learned is 2 stargate phoenix harrasment. Fly to their base and start lifting off their workers and killing 'em. Awesome. You can decimate their workers in a couple of seconds. Much less effective against terrans, but probably works nicely against a turtling terran.

Against terran... Hmm, enough zealots can easily bust a blockade. And blinkstalkers just own them. And if they mass infantry colossuses, of course.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:24 am UTC

Colossi are good for breaking walls pre-tank since they outrange everything else.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:05 am UTC

And of course Immortals are quite useful if the player is like me, and leaves only a handful of marines to help the marauders and siege tanks... (Nearly losing to a medium AI? Priceless)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:49 am UTC

Did you know that marines do more damage than marauders? True story

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:57 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:Did you know that marines do more damage than marauders? True story
Considerably. Even against armored and ignoring the gas cost they can still do more (more vulnerable to higher armor, but better benefit from weapon upgrades). But they're just so fragile.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:00 am UTC

I didn't even realize for the longest time, I spose this just means I don't know terran well enough

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:57 am UTC

Yeah. Marines are seriously powerful when upgraded, REALLY easy to mass, and quite difficult to counter. It's my favorite anti-VR strategy.

It's no mystery why they left out the medics in multiplayer. Because that just wouldn't have been fair.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:34 am UTC

Put medics into multiplayer, but double their cost and half their healing power, and everybody would still go terran with a massive bioball of m&m. A large terran bioball is simply unstoppable.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 am UTC

Diadem wrote:Put medics into multiplayer, but double their cost and half their healing power, and everybody would still go terran with a massive bioball of m&m. A large terran bioball is simply unstoppable.

Er... Colossi?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Diadem wrote:Put medics into multiplayer, but double their cost and half their healing power, and everybody would still go terran with a massive bioball of m&m. A large terran bioball is simply unstoppable.

Er... Colossi?

They're effective to a point. The thing is, people tend to underestimate just how relentless marine-zerging can be.The enterprising marine-masser will build something like 24 marines in the time it takes to build one or two colossi, which is easily enough to take them down, and then some.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 am UTC

Marines are terrible against armored (actual armored not subtype armored targets). For example, they do 1 whole damage to ultralisks, while marauders do 15.

The enterprising marine-masser will build something like 24 marines in the time it takes to build one or two colossi, which is easily enough to take them down, and then some.

Thats what forcefield is for. Also, abuse cliffs.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:36 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Marines are terrible against armored (actual armored not subtype armored targets). For example, they do 1 whole damage to ultralisks, while marauders do 15.

Speaking of which, how do I know which units are "light" "armored", etc.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

If you click on them it will be displayed below their hit points.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:45 pm UTC

You learn it through osmosis; you play with people and then you magically learn it.
Spoiler:
I'm kidding, when you select a unit, there's a line underneath all the unit stats. underneath the green icons. I found the screenshot in order to download and then point it out with an enormous red arrow, but then got lazy.
starcraft2.jpg

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Eww... yellow is a terrible color on those Siege Tanks. Stick with purples, blues and reds...

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Finished the game on brutal. I've now got all WoL achievements and solid gold on the challenges.

Time for multiplayer. But I need some friends, and for some mysterious reason blizzard has made it completely impossible to meet people ingame by removing all chat functionality.

Anyone from Europe who enjoys teaming with a reasonable player. Nothing godlike, but no noob either (though I might fuck up my buildorders the first few games still).

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Another forum i frequent we were posting our ingame contact info, so...

Gunfingers - 466

Totally up for a game sometime this weekend. If you can beat the game on brutal i'm sure you can whoop me.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

I'm kinda disappointed with the single player campaign story. The end did not feel very epic at all. In Starcraft 1, you beat the Overmind in a gargantuan battle with a supply cap of 400. That was epic.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I'm kinda disappointed with the single player campaign story. The end did not feel very epic at all. In Starcraft 1, you beat the Overmind in a gargantuan battle with a supply cap of 400. That was epic.

Yeah, but at the end of the Terran campaign, you skipped out and escaped.
Remember, this was only the first 1/3 of the story.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I'm kinda disappointed with the single player campaign story. The end did not feel very epic at all. In Starcraft 1, you beat the Overmind in a gargantuan battle with a supply cap of 400. That was epic.

That was also the only mission in SC1 I never completed (did power overwhelming once just to see the end cinematic, but just couldn't get the hang of using toss and Terran units at the same time. Well, not on that scale, at least... Dark Moon was rather fun.)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Texas_Ben wrote:

Yeah, but at the end of the Terran campaign, you skipped out and escaped.
Remember, this was only the first 1/3 of the story.

So what? The Terran campaign was 10 missions long, and only a third of the game (and one sixth of the SC1+Brood War story).

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In this one you went to the home world of the most perfect children of a godlike alien race and used the technology of those aliens to stun the self-appointed queen of those aliens. Assisting you in this endeavor was your greatest enemy, the emperor of all human settlements in that sector of space. That's...not epic enough?
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The final of the zeratul missions is also pretty damn epic

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:
Spoiler:
The final of the zeratul missions is also pretty damn epic

Spoiler:
Yeah, but it's yet another small map defense mission. Makes me think, does the SC2 engine even support battles the scale of the final SC1 mission?

Spambot5546 wrote:

Spoiler:
In this one you went to the home world of the most perfect children of a godlike alien race and used the technology of those aliens to stun the self-appointed queen of those aliens. Assisting you in this endeavor was your greatest enemy, the emperor of all human settlements in that sector of space. That's...not epic enough?

I'm speaking more of the underwhelming final missions than the actual story. The story was a bit bland, but not too terrible, and pretty typical of the first parts of a trilogy.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Another forum i frequent we were posting our ingame contact info, so...

Gunfingers - 466

Totally up for a game sometime this weekend. If you can beat the game on brutal i'm sure you can whoop me.

I can't find you. Are you sure you're in Europe?

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

Kain # 662... should have been 4 slower, lol

Anyways, if anyone wants to hit me up in the game, I'm in NA, and at the moment am utterly terrible.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:53 am UTC

I won all but one of my qualifications, and they dumped me in gold. I've played about matches since then, and have lost every single one. Now I'm kind of losing any kind of desire to play the game. Losing is fun, but when it's a foregone conclusion, not so much.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:56 am UTC

Don't worry, sooner or later you will get where you belong...
So, the game lagged me out of a game, before it started, which didn't count as a loss, but ruined my streak (or at least, my chance at one... wish I had known before my last match, I wouldn't have been so stressed when it appeared I might lose).

Think I could print the recent match screenshot and submit a bug report? It clearly shows three wins in a row in 1v1... (I know, I know, if I am serious about going for 1000 wins, I will almost inevitably get a 5 streak somewhere down the line)

Return to “Gaming”