The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Cartoon)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

The Great Recommendation Thread (Movie, TV, Anime, Cartoon)

Postby Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 am UTC

The Omni-Recommendation Thread.

If you're giving a recommendation - Clearly state what it is and what it's all about.

If you're asking for a recommendation - Clearly state your likes, dislikes, and if certain genres or styles do not appeal to you.

-ST
Last edited by Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp on Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp

Re: The Great Cartoon Recommendation thread

Postby novax6 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:15 am UTC

I'm not much of a cartoon person, but Samurai Jack is very excellent. That and the Clone Wars short cartoon (done by the same creator of Samurai Jack) are the only two I've really seen recently that impressed me.
novax6

Postby Mother Superior » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 am UTC

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Probably the most thought-out, well-planned and well-written cartoon I have ever seen, and quite frankly, it's pretty high up on the list of best TV shows period. It's pretty much three seasons of pure awesome. Tightly written, interesting characters and in all three seasons, I'd say there are maybe three or four episodes tops that I consider mediocre or just not interesting.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby cv4 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

Gonna second Batman: TAS. Show is fantastic.

Also got to recommend a lot of the cartoon movies that DC/Marvel have been making. Batman - Under the Red Hood and Hulk Vs. especially because they give you some (Batman) and most (Hulk Vs.) of the stuff that you wish TV shows could do (violence, blood, etc.).
cv4

Postby axilog14 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 am UTC

There's been a weird Darkwing Duck resurgence in geek circles lately. I am mildly puzzled why, nostalgia maybe?
In any case, I always did use to enjoy this show as a kid. This was the time I had reached that phase when I had outgrown the relative "cuteness" of Duck Tales (not knocking this series, honest! Seriously this and Tale Spin are both surprisingly fun and thrilling to watch. Actually, come to think of it a lot of the original Disney Afternoon lineup still sort of hold up well today.) and was warming up to "edgier" fare.

Continuing on the BTAS thread a bit, generally a lot of DC Animated Universe work (particularly a lot of the original Bruce Timm/Paul Dini stuff) seems to be very well-made in particular, enough for me* to inevitably question why Marvel doesn't have much of an equivalent. (I think their nineties Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons sorta come close though.) Of the DCAU stuff in particular I have a soft spot for:
  • Mask of the Phantasm, if only because I thought it was poignant and provided a more accessibly concise examination of Batman's character. Also, I remembered really being intrigued by the concept behind the Phantasm as a kid.
  • Batman Beyond, which sold me on its premise of exploring the relevance of Batman in a world outside of the sphere of Bruce Wayne for once. It's also the continuity in which the excellent Return Of The Joker movie is based in.
  • Justice League Unlimited, moreso than the earlier seasons TBH, if only because I loved how much deeper it delved into the DCAU's shared universe-ness. Outside of the main seven protagonists, I highly recommend most of the stories involving Green Arrow, Black Canary, Huntress and the Question.

Yes, if it wasn't obvious already I can be something of a sucker for well-developed shared universes.

I am currently catching up on my Spawn, though obviously it's not for everybody especially given its NSFW content. I'll probably update on how that pans out.

_____
*My basis for a decent animated series lies mostly in art, plotting and crossover continuity, though I do get let down by my nebulous judgment every now and then.
"Yes, my life is pathetic. But I still prefer it to the alternative!"
axilog14

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 am UTC

axilog14 wrote:There's been a weird Darkwing Duck resurgence in geek circles lately. I am mildly puzzled why, nostalgia maybe?

Oooh, oooh, I know! Because it's frickin' AWESOME?!

Seriously, the first episode of Darkwing Duck is funny and exciting, it's even serious and dark when it needs to be. The rest of the show doesn't always follow that great mixture, but it is often an extremely good cartoon show, especially for Disney. Not knocking Disney or nothin', Tail Spin and Rescue Rangers still kicked ass, but Darkwing Duck was just one notch higher than the rest.
Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp wrote:What you do is, you come here, and tell us about your favourite cartoons. But before we start, lets have some rules, to keep the thread quality high:

2. No stop-motion and no CGI - I'm not counting these as cartoons, and I don't like CGI.

Can we post CGI for everyone except you?
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Fuzzy_Wuzzy.bmp wrote:Les Triplettes de Belleville: A fantastic French surreal film, with the best animation you're likely to see this side of the Pleiades. The language is French, but there are only like two lines of dialogue total. Everything in this movie is weird and there is no way you won't enjoy it. Trailer. As a sidenote, I've only seen about 4 films I'd describe as surreal, and they were all French. I find that peculiar.

I will have to second this. It is as surreal as all get-out. Don't know if you saw the original French version, or if you just had the French audio turned on, but there was a dubbed version where some of the dialogue is in English, but as you said, there's very little dialogue. It's mostly ambient dialogue, like when Madame Souza gets to America, and she goes into a diner. The waitress brings out two hamburgers, one for Souza and one for Bruno (the dog). She yells out "Hamburgers!" and when Souza opens up her coin purse, and a moth flies out, the waitress looks pissed, then says "No money, no hamburgers!"

Most of the French dialogue was ambient dialogue, like when the spectators were watching the race, and the radio/TV announcer narrating what was going on, who was gaining, who was holding back, etc.

The movie is not intended for kids. There is a lot of adult humor and violence, not to mention frontal nudity:

Spoiler:
At the beginning of the movie, we are treated to an old film reel showing the Triplets of Belleville in their heyday, when Vaudeville was still popular, right on the cusp of radio. The Triplets featured several guest stars, including Spike Jones (conducting the orchestra), Fred Astaire (tap-dancing until his shoes fall off, become dogs, and consume him, and Josephine Baker, known best for her "Danse Savage" routine, where she was often nude, save for a skirt made entirely of bananas.

My forte is more of the classic animation, such as the old Warner Brothers, MGM, and Disney cartoons. One of my favorites would have to be:

Page Miss Glory: Not to be confused with a movie of the same name, Miss Glory combines traditional animation with astounding choreography and stunning backgrounds. The backgrounds are inspired by the "moderne" art deco designs of Leadora Congdon, giving the viewer more than just the characters to take in. In the cartoon, Abner, a bellhop at a small country hotel, prepares for the arrival of a mystery guest named Miss Glory. He begins "prac-tysing" his role, using a not-so-subtle satire of a Phillip-Morris ad. He sits and waits, constantly mistaking wandering farm animals for the sound of a car pulling up. Falling asleep, he soon dreams of working in a much more higher-end Cosmopolitan Hotel located in some big city. He is approached by several suitors to "page Miss Glory".

This cartoon is not intended for children. In reality, none of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons were, especially the earlier ones. These were originally shown right before a feature film, often seen by adults more than kids. "Miss Glory" is no closer to being "kid-friendly" than an issue of Playboy Magazine. It heavily features the consumption of alcohol, hundreds of men trying to court Miss Glory, and in one particular scene, a woman's dress is removed, revealing her underwear, in which she grabs a couple of palm fronds and performs a seductive fan dance.

Another good one would have to be Have You Got Any Castles. In what would become a long-carried out tradition, "Castles" features the covers of books coming to life, some featuring caricatures of Hollywood and radio personalities of the time, including Alexander Woollcott, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, the Mills Brothers, Cab Calloway, Greta Garbo, and Clark Gable. The cartoon opens up with Woollcott as "The Town Crier" introducing four monsters: Frankenstein's monster, Mr. Hyde, Fu Manchu, and the Phantom of the Opera. First they roar and try to scare the audience, but then break into a cutesy dance. Other book covers are shown, including Bill Robinson dancing on "The 39 Steps", the Mills Brothers on "Green Pastures", and Cab Calloway in a page of the book singing "Swing for Sale."

One thing I like about this cartoon, besides the animation and storyline, is the background. In the early Warner Brothers cartoons, and even in the later ones, the animators and producers often put inside jokes and hidden gags in the cartoons. Sometimes they put their own names in the cartoon, as they did in "Castles" If you can find a good version on YouTube or anywhere else, watch it in slow-motion, and watch the backgrounds. There are hundreds of hidden gags, including some of the animators' names as names of authors on books. In one scene, "The Good Earth" is seen saying his bedtime prayers, and asks for Papa Leon and Uncle Ray to be blessed, referring to producer Leon Schlesinger and his son-in-law, Ray Katz.

Sometimes the cartoons featured caricatures of the animators and producers at Warner. No cartoon could ever be more true to this than Russian Rhapsody. In this cartoon made during WWII, Hitler, ticked that a lot of Nazi planes have been disappearing when trying to go into Russia, decides to fly into Russia himself to investigate. What he encounters are "Gremlins from the Kremlin", most of which are caricatures of the Warner Bros. animation staff. They destroy his plane piece by piece, until he lands in the ground, pops out imitating Lew Lehr ("Nazis is the craziest peoples!") and finally put down for good.
PRG

An important message for you:

PatrickRsGhost

Postby axilog14 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:34 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:My forte is more of the classic animation, such as the old Warner Brothers, MGM, and Disney cartoons. One of my favorites would have to be:

Page Miss Glory: Not to be confused with a movie of the same name, Miss Glory combines traditional animation with astounding choreography and stunning backgrounds. The backgrounds are inspired by the "moderne" art deco designs of Leadora Congdon, giving the viewer more than just the characters to take in. In the cartoon, Abner, a bellhop at a small country hotel, prepares for the arrival of a mystery guest named Miss Glory. He begins "prac-tysing" his role, using a not-so-subtle satire of a Phillip-Morris ad. He sits and waits, constantly mistaking wandering farm animals for the sound of a car pulling up. Falling asleep, he soon dreams of working in a much more higher-end Cosmopolitan Hotel located in some big city. He is approached by several suitors to "page Miss Glory".

This cartoon is not intended for children. In reality, none of the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons were, especially the earlier ones. These were originally shown right before a feature film, often seen by adults more than kids. "Miss Glory" is no closer to being "kid-friendly" than an issue of Playboy Magazine. It heavily features the consumption of alcohol, hundreds of men trying to court Miss Glory, and in one particular scene, a woman's dress is removed, revealing her underwear, in which she grabs a couple of palm fronds and performs a seductive fan dance.

Oh wow, do I remember that short well. I always loved that twist in the end where
Spoiler:
the bellboy nearly gets run over by a cable car(?) only to snap out of his little daydream and the real Miss Glory turned out to be a little girl. :P

But yeah, I really miss the classic Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts too. Other really old Ear Worms I remembered lately thanks to YouTube were I Love To Singa (which also doubled as a Jazz Singer homage) and One Froggy Evening (another one of those "not intended for children"-type shorts, though more because it took such a surprisingly dark turn toward the end).

Nothing could really beat the 50s-era Looney Tunes though. I loved so many of them back then, and they were just wicked clever (in a not-pandering-and-talking-down-to-its-audience way) on top of being funny. Not surprisingly a bunch of them show up in this list.

The really amazing part though? It still blows me away that only one Bugs Bunny short to date had ever won the Oscar, and it wasn't even the Der Ring des Nibelungen tribute. Seriously, just too many of these shorts were damn good. (Great, now I want to find them on DVD again. I'll stop geeking out over my anthropomorphic slapstick now.)
axilog14

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:00 am UTC

axilog14 wrote:Oh wow, do I remember that short well. I always loved that twist in the end where
Spoiler:
the bellboy nearly gets run over by a cable car(?) only to snap out of his little daydream and the real Miss Glory turned out to be a little girl. :P

Spoiler:
Not just any little girl, but a Shirley Temple look-alike. After Abner faints, she giggles Temple-like and then says "Boy, do I slay 'em!" Then to the conductor, "Play, Don!"

axilog14 wrote:Seriously, just too many of these shorts were damn good. (Great, now I want to find them on DVD again. I'll stop geeking out over my anthropomorphic slapstick now.)

Here you go. Just make sure to follow it up with Volumes 2-6.

It seems that most people think of only the 50s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, primarily because those were/are shown more frequently than any made in the 40s or 30s, with the exception of some, like "I Love to Singa". One reason is they seem to appeal to a wider audience than the earlier ones, and don't consist of too many dated gags or jokes. Since cartoons today are seen more as kiddie fare than adult, the ones from the 50s are more predominantly aired for that reason. No kid would get why a flea pulls out a ration stamp book prior to taking a bite out of a dog, unless they learned ahead of time about how food was rationed during World War II. A kid wouldn't recognize most of the caricatures of the celebrities of the time, unless they had parents or grandparents who recognized most of them, and said "That's Greta Garbo. That's Clark Gable. That's Lionel Barrymore. That one's Mae West." Nor would any kid understand why someone reacts so quickly when someone yells "TURN OUT THAT LIGHT!" unless they knew about the blackout drills conducted on both the east and west coast during WWII. But any kid would laugh at Bugs Bunny getting the best of Elmer Fudd, two hillbillies, Daffy Duck, or Yosemite Sam. A kid would find it entertaining to see Wile E. Coyote, time and again, attempt to catch the Roadrunner, only to fail.
PRG

PatrickRsGhost

Postby axilog14 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:It seems that most people think of only the 50s Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies, primarily because those were/are shown more frequently than any made in the 40s or 30s, with the exception of some, like "I Love to Singa". One reason is they seem to appeal to a wider audience than the earlier ones, and don't consist of too many dated gags or jokes. Since cartoons today are seen more as kiddie fare than adult, the ones from the 50s are more predominantly aired for that reason. No kid would get why a flea pulls out a ration stamp book prior to taking a bite out of a dog, unless they learned ahead of time about how food was rationed during World War II. A kid wouldn't recognize most of the caricatures of the celebrities of the time, unless they had parents or grandparents who recognized most of them, and said "That's Greta Garbo. That's Clark Gable. That's Lionel Barrymore. That one's Mae West." Nor would any kid understand why someone reacts so quickly when someone yells "TURN OUT THAT LIGHT!" unless they knew about the blackout drills conducted on both the east and west coast during WWII. But any kid would laugh at Bugs Bunny getting the best of Elmer Fudd, two hillbillies, Daffy Duck, or Yosemite Sam. A kid would find it entertaining to see Wile E. Coyote, time and again, attempt to catch the Roadrunner, only to fail.

That's a pretty good point. In addition to being part of a much younger generation, I also come from a different cultural context as most of them. Looking back at some of the old cartoons from my youth now I've since had my share of swiss moments, particularly when watching old reruns of The Simpsons and seeing references to things like The Prisoner, Citizen Kane, Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who.

... which sort of makes me worry about what kids fifty years from now about gonna think about cartoons in their time making semi-obscure references to things from our time.
axilog14

Postby Jesse » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 pm UTC

It's okay. Even in a thousand years kids'll still be watching Avatar. Oh hey, maybe Batman of the Future will have to change it's name to Batman of the Present.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Sockmonkey » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

axilog14 wrote:Continuing on the BTAS thread a bit, generally a lot of DC Animated Universe work (particularly a lot of the original Bruce Timm/Paul Dini stuff) seems to be very well-made in particular, enough for me* to inevitably question why Marvel doesn't have much of an equivalent. (I think their nineties Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons sorta come close though.)
IIRC one of the tricks they used to set the mood of the series was to start with a black surface rather than a white one when drawing everything so that everything was dark and broody unless they specifically made it bright. They also used arbrushing rather than conventional coloring methoods to make the backgrounds feel more natural. Mission accomplished.
Didn't care much for the 90s Spider-Man though. The art style bugged me for some reason and the censors really bent the series over the kitchen table. Didn't like the dialouge or most of the plotlines. They tried to have us get to know him by telling, giving him lame angsty speeches instead of, yanno, showing with actual characterization.
Sockmonkey

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:20 am UTC

I don't care for many Disney shorts vs. the Warner Brothers shorts, but if I had to pick a favorite Disney short, I'd have to say The Old Mill would be it. The light, the shadows, the animation is just awesome. It was a testing ground for a lot of animation techniques, including the first use of a multiplane camera, which, in animation, allows for the film to seem more realistic, more three-dimensional. Background cels would be layered over each other, one slightly more transparent than the last, giving the illusion of depth. The multiplane would later be used in the movie "Bambi".

"The Old Mill" was used as a practice film to try to animate animals and nature as a whole and their natural movements. Unlike the much earlier Silly Symphonies like "Flowers and Trees" or other similar films, the animators studied real animals' movements and worked on making sure that every animal in "Old Mill" and "Bambi" seemed realistic.

Another Disney short I like is Education for Death - The Making of a Nazi. Unlike other Disney cartoons that seem to be lighthearted, this one is not. There are a couple of scenes meant to be a bit funny, but as a whole, the cartoon is anything but. It greatly employs the use of overshadowing to depict how the Nazi party overpowers the German citizens, and how inferior they are to the Nazi soldiers. One particular scene

Spoiler:
shows the mother of the main character (Hans) tending to him because he is sick. She tries to encourage him to get better, because, as the narrator indicates, she knows the Nazi party will take Hans away, since they see the sick as weakening the backbone of Germany. A Nazi soldier bangs on the door, and forces it open. The mother is huddled by Hans' bed, and the soldier's shadow nearly covers her and the boy. You can see the fear in her eyes, and sense the fear she has for what might happen to her son. The soldier warns the mother to stop all that mollycoddling, that it will make the boy weak. Hans does recover after a while.
PRG

PatrickRsGhost

Recommend me a comedy show

Postby ian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

I really want a new comedy show to watch, preferably something that already has at least one entire season.

things i like:
how i met your mother
better off ted
big bang theory
community
dan for mayor
louie
scrubs
30 rock
always sunny....
two and a half men (As you can see, i'm not really bothered if critically, it's awful)

things i don't like
awkward social faux pas shows (the office, modern family, peep show)

is there anything (maybe something not that well known) that falls into the first list that i may not have seen (you can ignore the big ones like friends/fraiser/seinfeld etc)
thanks
ian

Re: Recommend me a comedy show

Postby Zarq » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

ian wrote:things i don't like
awkward social faux pas shows (the office, ...)

I like you :)

Anyway, euhm, Coupling is a British series that's a little like HIMYM

And then there's those other amazing British series like Blackadder (if you don't like the first season, try the second before dismissing it, the first season is vastly different from the other), 'Allo 'Allo, Fawlty Towers,...
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit
Zarq

Postby charliepanayi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Arrested Development (well known but you should see it anyway)

Spaced
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"
charliepanayi

Postby Lazar » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:44 pm UTC

Two of my favorite comedies are Arrested Development (canceled, 3 seasons) and Curb Your Enthusiasm (ongoing, 7 seasons). They're both shot mockumentary-style - the former scripted, the latter largely improvised - and have a tremendous quality and density of jokes. Although CYE relies a lot on cringe-inducing awkwardness, which might not be your thing.

If you're into science fiction, you should love Futurama - it's very consistently funny, with a tolerable dose of sentimentality. Another show I enjoyed was Flight of the Conchords, which ran for 2 seasons on HBO - it was driven by witty genre-spoofing songs, which again, may or may not be your thing.

EDIT: I'll also totally second Fawlty Towers and Blackadder. (Duh.)
Spread the word on menus nationwide!
Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Black Books is an excellent British sit-com, far too short at only 4 series (seasons) but well worth the watch, particularly if you like Coupling.
Malice

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Puppets Who Kill is a great, if wierd, series. I think it got three seasons.
GvE is a strange dry comedy / fantasy / sci-fi series that is hard to find, but TOTALLY worth it.
Night Stand is a mock-talk-show, hosted by Dick Dietrich. It goes places even Jerry won't go. All night long.
Mission Hill - My obligatory animated suggestion... sort of like Friends, but funny. So not like Friends, after all.
The Oblongs - For when Spaced just isn't wierd enough for you!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Glmclain » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:23 am UTC

Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
Spaced
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!
Glmclain

Postby SciJo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:09 am UTC

Whose Line is it Anyway?

That show never gets old.
SciJo

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 am UTC

SciJo wrote:Whose Line is it Anyway?

That show never gets old.

Either one, really!
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 am UTC

Another vote here for Flight of the Conchords. There are parts of it that are humiliation-based and awkward (like The Office--or any Steve Carrell role, really). However, although I normally HATE humcom, I love FotC. Give it a shot! It grew on me really quickly.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

meatyochre

Postby Lucrece » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Archer.

Seriously, just watch it.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.
Lucrece

Postby Malice » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Archer.

Seriously, just watch it.

This.

Also, Frisky Dingo is an excellent surrealist satirical parody farce thing by the same people.
Malice

Postby ian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Probably should of noted im british in the OP, any suggestions of any bbc or ch4 are probably pointless, i've either watched it or don't like. Though I do feel like rewatching the Spaced Robot Wars episode now.

watched AD, don't really like CYE, bit too awkward for me. Might give Flight of the Concords another go.

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Puppets Who Kill is a great, if wierd, series. I think it got three seasons.
GvE is a strange dry comedy / fantasy / sci-fi series that is hard to find, but TOTALLY worth it.
Night Stand is a mock-talk-show, hosted by Dick Dietrich. It goes places even Jerry won't go. All night long.
Mission Hill - My obligatory animated suggestion... sort of like Friends, but funny. So not like Friends, after all.
The Oblongs - For when Spaced just isn't wierd enough for you!

Thanks, I'll check these out, as well as Archer and the other one mentioned above this post that I forgot.

Is whose line is it anyway? still going?
ian

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:00 pm UTC

Frisky Dingo! Barnaby Jones! :D
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Mega D » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

I highly recommend Psych, in its fourth or fifth season on USA. It's about a guy pretending to be psychic and helping the local police solve crimes. I think it's one of the funniest things on television right now. Although it helps if you happen to be in your early thirties or so. Lots of 80s references.

If you're open to cartoon suggestions, Invader Zim is one of my all time favorites. It's about an alien spy who's come to scope out the Earth in preparation for a pending invasion. Lots of social satire. Also highly quotable.
Mega D

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Mega D wrote:I highly recommend Psych, in its fourth or fifth season on USA. It's about a guy pretending to be psychic and helping the local police solve crimes. I think it's one of the funniest things on television right now. Although it helps if you happen to be in your early thirties or so. Lots of 80s references.

I endorse this recommendation. It's genuinely hilarious stuff.
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:11 am UTC

Malice wrote:Black Books is an excellent British sit-com, far too short at only 4 series (seasons) but well worth the watch, particularly if you like Coupling.

Four series? I wish. They only had three.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Amarantha » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:42 pm UTC

Heh, lots of awesome people have already covered most of what I was going to say. So I'll just add The IT Crowd, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones and The Goodies.
Amarantha

Postby ArgonV » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
Mega D wrote:I highly recommend Psych, in its fourth or fifth season on USA. It's about a guy pretending to be psychic and helping the local police solve crimes. I think it's one of the funniest things on television right now. Although it helps if you happen to be in your early thirties or so. Lots of 80s references.

I endorse this recommendation. It's genuinely hilarious stuff.

Triply endorsed, I suppose.

And I also re-endorse Black Books!
ArgonV

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

If you want really surreal British stuff, try Big Train. If you want to know what you'd get if David Lynch directed comedy, try Jam.

This youtube clip summarizes Big Train: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5xqukXdkmY
These youtube clips summarize Jam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krsj2bcnRlM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8epywokjbyo
I now occasionally update my rarely-updated blog.

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.
You, sir, name?

Postby folkhero » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:24 am UTC

"Yes Dear," is a parody/pastiche of all those excessively bland and heteronormal family sitcoms. I don't think it was intentionally written as such, but that's how I watch it. Probably best to watch in very small doses.

I'm not sure how no one has mentioned "Venture Brothers" which is one of the absolute best shows still on television.

For some shows that have as much drama as comedy, I'd recommend "Freaks and Geeks," which has plenty of social awkwardness (as the name might suggest) but it's used for drama as often as comedy and is thus treats it in a pretty sensitive way. I'd also recommend "Sports Night," is a show about a show and not really about sports at all. The creator is Aaron Sorkin of "West Wing" fame and it's extremely witty, but probably won't have you laughing out load all that often.
You, sir, name? wrote:If you want to know what you'd get if David Lynch directed comedy
I know what a David Lynch comedy looks like, and it haunts my nightmares.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...
folkhero

Postby lanicita » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:02 am UTC

Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's not a sitcom, it's an animated kid's show, but it's still one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

I've only seen a couple of episodes of it, but a bunch of my friends love NewsRadio.
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
lanicita
almost grown-up but not quite

Postby sje46 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:07 am UTC

King of the Hill. At least most people are just like "meh, it's alright I guess" but it really grows on you. Great American satire.

I'm sure you've already seen this show a million times, but if, for whatever reason, you never seriously watched it, the Simpsons has had the funniest moments on television, ever. Buy the DVDs for season 6 or 7 or around that time, and you'll laugh like crazy.

Also, another really popular show you've probably seen a million times (it's probably the most syndicated show in the US, after the Simpsons) is Seinfeld.

EDIT: Oh dang, didn't read that last sentence. King of the Hill it is then.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:26 am UTC

NewsRadio. Man, how did I not post my favorite 'sit com' of all time?
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby pooteeweet » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Has anybody seen The Comic Strip? It's weird and I haven't decided if I think it's absolutely hilarious or dreadfully boring. It's on Hulu right now. It's like a sketch comedy show, but each sketch is drawn out to full episode length.

Also, I can't believe you hate Peep Show. Shame on you. Shame.

Has nobody mentioned Party Down? I'm not sure if that falls into "awkward social faux-pas" humor-- I suspect it does, but it's so freaking funny that it doesn't matter.
pooteeweet

Postby ian » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

I'll try Newsradio, thanks

A lot of the others suggested I've already watched, but thanks anyway.

Oh and I don't hate Peep Show, I've watched a fair few episodes and I'd say I enjoy about 80% of each episode, love Mitchell and Webb, and comedicaly it's clearly great, but the other 20% can often be unbearable to watch, so...I...uh...don't.
ian

Next

Return to Movies and TV Shows