Really good ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Really good ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING food

Postby Decker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

Nath wrote:Spam gets a bad rap. As mystery meats go, it's probably slightly less suspicious than hot dogs and such.

Agreed. Fried spam sammiches are a favorite of mine.
Also, the other day I made kind of a lazy shepards pie. Cooked some ground beef, some mashed potatoes, and some corn. Mixed them all together in a big bowl. Looked disgusting, but it tasted great.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.
Decker

Postby bocochoco » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:57 pm UTC

Green olives (the kind with pimento's) in cottage cheese. Raided the fridge in my dorm the night the food service was under maintenance. My roommate devoured a "family size" can of spam with his olives.
bocochoco

Postby dubsola » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:47 am UTC

hermaj wrote:I really want to try that!

I don't know why it didn't occur to me to suggest this earlier, but you can buy musubi kits in Australia / on the internet.
dubsola

Postby hermaj » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

(Hey dubs! <3)

I will have to have a look out for those kits for his visit in April! It would be a nice surprise if I could track them down for him. :)
hermaj

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Decker wrote:
Nath wrote:Spam gets a bad rap. As mystery meats go, it's probably slightly less suspicious than hot dogs and such.

Agreed. Fried spam sammiches are a favorite of mine.

SPAM...

I also LOVE Vinegar. Plain, on sandwiches, in salad, on meat, it doesn't matter.

Also, mix the following with a fork:

Red Wine vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Pregrated Parmesan
Lemon Juice

If done in correct proportions (play with it) it looks and smells gross yet tastes wonderful.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.
kaimason1
WINNING

Postby El Spark » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 pm UTC

Melt some butter. Mix in a half-capful of vanilla and then enough brown sugar to make a sort of paste. Add spoon. Eat a little bit at a time. Yummeh.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.
El Spark

Postby suffer-cait » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:44 am UTC

hermaj wrote:(Hey dubs! <3)

I will have to have a look out for those kits for his visit in April! It would be a nice surprise if I could track them down for him. :)

the problem with home made musubi, is it generally is not as good. cooking it in teri sauce will help a lot though.
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby dubsola » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

The only musubi I've tasted was from that large supermarket on the North Shore (can't remember the name). Tasted damn good after a swim, washed down with a cold beer. Never thought I'd like spam so much.
dubsola

Postby Coffee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Seven pages and there's a few glaring omissions still.

Here's a few from my dad's side of the family:
-haggis
-clapshot
-marag
-skirlie
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.
Coffee

Postby glitterbug12 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Fractal_Tangent wrote:
Aleril wrote:I love mixing hot chocolate mix with milk.

What you get is a chocolate milk and since all of the powder isn't able to mix with the milk, some of it just gets wet and floats to the top. So when you are done with the milk part, you can scoop the wet powder substance up with the spoon you mixed it with and it tastes DELICIOUS.

Note: You will have to stir really hard to make this work or else you are going to get a mouthful of dry powder, and that's not good.

:shock: :o
I did not think anyone else did this other than me...
This must be the tastiest thing ever...

Since when is this unusual? I do it all the time, it's pretty similar to using a lot of chocolate milk powder. Maybe it's more uncommon than I thought...
glitterbug12

Postby Spheric Thor » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

When I was but a little bratling, I liked to experiment with foods. These are a few combinations that made it through the trial phase.

Can of Chili, Melted cheese, Chocolate syrup and crackers.

Blended whole lemon (Peel included) and sugar, wadded into a ball and frozen.

Break soaked in honey to the point where its crispy, then frozen and topped with ice cream.

Banana with peanut butter, microwaved and stirred into a sort of warm brown mash.

Orange peels soaked in lemon juice, frozen and often sugared.

(And a little older) Shredded ginger and shredded carrots, a hint of honey, hint of clove. Used as the filling for a stuffed mushroom.
Spheric Thor

Postby suffer-cait » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:17 am UTC

creamed corn, warm in a bowl in a microwave, eat with crackers
Cheese: cait, we'd build a castle just for you if we had the resources and manpower.
pollywog: cait is probably the only person on the planet that's cooler than me.
Cheese: See, caitie knows what she's doing. Listen to her. She is Pretty Fucking AwesomeTM.
suffer-cait
Proud Member of a very bad, elitist version of a Monday morning Starbucks crowd

Postby TheMaestro » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

This is something I just read about and hope to try:

Take 1 green pepper, cut in half
Remove seeds
Melt a package of marshmallows
Fill the pepper with the goo
Bake until brown
The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.
~Eric Schmidt
TheMaestro

Postby Magius Cabal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 am UTC

Someone mentioned durians. Well I ate some Durian cakes just last month. Somewhere during the baking process, much of the pungent smell was removed so it wasn't really yucky.

When I was in London, I also ate eel pies frequently. Most of my friends in America thought that was DISGUSTING. Like you guys don't have eels in America...
Magius Cabal

Postby Midnight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:29 am UTC

i dunno if any of you have been to Fentons in oakland, CA (it was in UP!), but I was there the other day and had the usual massive amount of ice cream. This time I went with chocolate and almond, with chocolate and caramel syrup. My friend got an order of onion rings and fries. The ice cream and the appetizers were delivered at the same time, so we focused on the ice cream first.

This was also the time when I learned that onion rings + almond ice cream = the most delicious combination possible.
the amount of food we ate was disgusting. I probably had a bit under a quart of ice cream and a few dozen good-sized onion rings. But oh... so... soo.... fatty. and good.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby jearb » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 am UTC

Cheez Whiz on Nilla Wafers. Honest.
jearb

Postby voidPtr » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:52 am UTC

I know 99.9% of people have heard of this food, and certainly anyone who has reached any level of food enlightenment knows it's the best food combination ever. However, when I've mentioned this food before, I've actually had people stare at me like I'm an alien or I just told them I eat vomit for lunch, so apparently there are a few people on the planet who have never heard of it: peanut butter and banana sandwiches.
voidPtr

Postby PictureSarah » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:13 am UTC

That's not weird at all, actually. I eat those regularly, and none of my coworkers have even batted an eye. They were much more skeptical of quinoa.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 am UTC

Spam fried rice:

-leftover rice (it has to be leftovers, refrigerated overnight—freshly made rice tends to be to gummy and sticky)
-spam
-egg
manictheatrefan

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

^Agree completely.^ Best use of SPAM, period.

Add peas and onions.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby manictheatrefan » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Onions, yum.

Peas? *shudder*
manictheatrefan

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Hey, it's the real deal. That recipe, with ham instead of SPAM, is in The Joyce Chen Cookbook... I believe it's identical to the recipe in page 3 of this PDF except it originally uses dry sherry rather than the wine they're hawking in that brochure.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby dubsola » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:53 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:^Agree completely.^ Best use of SPAM, period.

I quite like Spam Musubis. In fact I like them so much I already mentioned them in this thread.

Anyway, here it is. The Chiko Roll. I love them, and miss them terribly.
Chiko Roll.jpg
Chiko Roll.jpg (33.61 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Chiko Roll Insides.jpg
Chiko Roll Insides.jpg (35.17 KiB) Viewed 5469 times

Found at fish and chip shops in Australia for at least the last 30 years, and advertised with conventionally attractive women and the slogan 'Couldn't you go a Chiko roll?' Yes, yes I could.
dubsola

Postby Mazuku » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:22 am UTC

Has anyone else here ever decide to toss in some milk, ice-cream, chocolate cake mix, cookie batter, chocolate moose mix and some eggs into a blender until it becomes a thick sludge, a thick DELICIOUS sludge?

Besides me that is.
Allmächtige Exzentrikerin3

Mazuku

Postby rachelbonilla » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Chocolate covered bacon. Got it at the fair. Oh Yeah.
rachelbonilla

Postby TheNorm05 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:03 am UTC

I'm like 1/8th Hawaiian, so when I'm feeling down I'll sometimes cook weird stuff involving massive amounts of sodium. Take some spam and dice it up and fry it, then add some scrambled eggs to the mix and some salt. then get some rice from the night before and place in a bowl, place an ume(those pickled plums with f-tons of salt) and/or soy sauce on top. Then place the spam and eggs on top and enjoy.
TheNorm05

Postby El Spark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Found at fish and chip shops in Australia for at least the last 30 years, and advertised with conventionally attractive women and the slogan 'Couldn't you go a Chiko roll?' Yes, yes I could.

Wikipedia wrote:The Chiko roll consists of beef, celery, cabbage, barley, carrot, onion, green beans, and spices in a tube of egg, flour and dough which is then deep-fried.

Dear heavens. I'm sold. This is probably healthier than 80% of the food consumed at your average college.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.
El Spark

Postby dubsola » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:57 am UTC

It does actually sound pretty healthy, but I guarantee you most people familiar with them would not say that. Granted, nobody really knows what's in them (unless they've checked out that Wikipedia article), and you certainly couldn't tell by visual inspection.

TheNorm05 wrote:I'm like 1/8th Hawaiian, so when I'm feeling down I'll sometimes cook weird stuff involving massive amounts of sodium.

You don't have to be 1/8th Hawaiian to enjoy that, although my love for spam musubi probably wouldn't have come about if I hadn't been IN Hawaii. That and an ice cold beer after a swim on the North Shore is a pretty amazing thing.
dubsola

Postby Coffee » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

There's supposed to be fried beer at the Tx State fair this year. Gotta try that out.
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.
Coffee

Postby Brother Maynard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:56 am UTC

voidPtr wrote:I know 99.9% of people have heard of this food, and certainly anyone who has reached any level of food enlightenment knows it's the best food combination ever. However, when I've mentioned this food before, I've actually had people stare at me like I'm an alien or I just told them I eat vomit for lunch, so apparently there are a few people on the planet who have never heard of it: peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

My youth pastor swears by banana and mayonnaise sandwiches. He claims that sometimes he'll just take a banana and dip it in mayo as he eats it.
Brother Maynard

Postby Fat Zombie » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm UTC

Man, I thought I ate unhealthily. Well, I do, but you guys have bested my efforts.

Here's the thing I made last week which I think may be suitable: my "Oh Shit I Need To Eat This Meat Before Tomorrow" Dish.

Spoiler:
Ingredients:

*Opened packet of smoked bacon rashers (at least 3)
*250g packet of beef mince
*1x red pepper
*1x garlic clove
*1x beef stock cube
*2 tbsp Bisto gravy powder
*whatever dried herbs you have in the cupboard
*cupful of water

Method:

1. Chop up the pepper, and the clove.
2. Put the bacon in a large frying pan or skillet (cold), turn up heat, wait for about five minutes or until grease from bacon has leached into the frying pan.
3. Add mince, garlic. Break up bacon with wooden spoon (to avoid having to wash up the meat chopping board). Continue on a low-to-high heat until mince has been browned. (important: DO NOT drain the excess grease or fat)
4. Add chopped pepper, water, stock cube, and gravy powder.
5. Continue to "simmer" at a medium/high heat for about 15/20 minutes or so? I'm not sure how long the mince is supposed to be cooked. (I used Radio 4 as a timer)
6. When the mince and bacon looks cooked, and the liquid has become a (fairly thick) sauce, dish out onto a plate.

Serves one. Eat with a buttered bread roll.

It was delicious.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!
Fat Zombie

Postby modularblues » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:51 am UTC

Fish brain. I used to pick fish heads clean, so I know... (then again, not so unusual for a cat :P)
modularblues

Postby BurntPancake » Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Taco shells, bacon, eggs, jelly.
Not really as "odd" as some I've read in this thread, but it's a non-traditional breakfast I love.
Also, I can eat it while driving! :D
BurntPancake

Postby dragon » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:56 am UTC

That sounds like a pretty normal food-thing, Fat Zombie. Am I missing something?

Jelly, bah. Like pepper and chili, this term means very different things to different people. In a typical discussion, you could usually gather from context and/or region what is being referred to, but this thread is full of crazy combinations by definition and your location, BurntPancake, is not described. I will eat the next of you who does not state themselves clearly, and then post about it in this thread.
Context? What context?
Sandry wrote:I'm kind of feeling like it'd be a good idea to somehow position a vibrator for hands-free use, then you can legitimately DDR with your feet while knitting and it all works.
dragon
"Can I have a Mountain Dew?!"

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:07 am UTC

I have consumed chicken livers, hearts and gizzards this month.

The gizzards were a bit of a fail, but I'll try my second recipe next time. The hearts and livers are just about the tastiest things ever. Praise Jebus for his swiss-army meatbirds.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby merelydicta » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

There's a thing at that comes as a regular feature on all fry shops and servos (gas stations) in Australia....Dim Sims. Almost negligible relation to dim sum...it's a delightful parcel of mystery meats.

Also all the talk of spam is making me hunger for bacon-flavored spam (just about the best thing in the universe).
merelydicta

Postby Anonymously Famous » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Oreos topped with Cheese Whiz. I ate it once on a dare in high school. They are one of the best snacks that I've ever tasted.
Anonymously Famous

Postby Argency » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

Triple-decker sandwiches:
First floor = peanut butter and honey and cheese.
Second floor = bolognese sauce and cheese.
Third floor = chicked flavoured crisps and Nutella and cheese.

Toasted.

Good for drunken midnight snacks and the munchies. Sober experience may not live up to your memories.
Gonna be a blank slate, gonna wear a white cape.
Argency

Postby jobriath » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

Here's one everyone should try. Maybe it's not even weird food: chopped green chillies and ice cream (vanilla or plain). I love the taste of the chillies, and sweetness of the ice cream brings it out, while the cold and cream mean you can have as much chilli as you like!

On the subject of stupid sandwiches, on evenings after Sunday dinners I used to have a triple-decker of edam, cheddar, roast beef, mashed potatoes, and barbecue sauce. It's filling and I remember quite liking it.
jobriath

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

jobriath wrote:Here's one everyone should try. Maybe it's not even weird food: chopped green chillies and ice cream (vanilla or plain). I love the taste of the chillies, and sweetness of the ice cream brings it out, while the cold and cream mean you can have as much chilli as you like!

On the subject of stupid sandwiches, on evenings after Sunday dinners I used to have a triple-decker of edam, cheddar, roast beef, mashed potatoes, and barbecue sauce. It's filling and I remember quite liking it.

Just now, coming up the stairs after walking through the glue pig break room (long story) I decided to make candied jalapeno slices tonight. You just made me decide to use them as sprinkles on ice cream. DAMN YOU.
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

PreviousNext

Return to Food