Sunrise

Things that don't belong anywhere else. (Check first).

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Number3Pencils
The Torment of Existence Weighed against the Horror of Nonbeing
Posts: 516
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:27 am UTC
Location: Beyond reason, then take a left
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Number3Pencils » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:26 am UTC

I'm occasionally up by sunrise because of classes - in fact, for most of the winter when I was in high school, I was biking to school in the dark. But I rarely had any time to appreciate the sunrise for what it was, because I was biking and couldn't really see it past the houses on the road. However, one night last year I was having a lot of trouble getting to sleep, and tried counting, and when I got to 1000 I gave it up as a lost cause. I walked up the street and just kind of absorbed the early morning. It was wonderful. I saw people I don't often see, and the birds were chirping. I ambled to the park and just loved it. Within the next week or so, I convinced my younger brother to stay up all night with me so we could watch the sunrise from the park. We went there at about 4:50; we sat on a playground structure nearby with a wide view, and watched the sky slowly lighten and the stars dim then fade completely. If I can do it, it would be nice to become a morning person. This factor is what keeps me from doing it:
Image
Image
Spoiler:
Image

User avatar
Azrael001
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 am UTC
Location: The Land of Make Believe.
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:01 am UTC

Last summer I worked nights. While the sun did rise before I was done, I always enjoyed my walks home, it was cool, with just a bit of fog/ mist, and the air was very refreshing.
23111

User avatar
squidhappens
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:48 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby squidhappens » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 am UTC

I really don't like to sleep, so I spend a lot of time sitting on my front porch watching the sky at odd hours or wandering around the city looking for adventure. The grey just before sunrise is the best, in my opinion. Right before the tiniest pink tendrils start to unravel the night, and the world is captured in limbo between the vivid dark of night and the brilliant shades of morning...

Oh, man. Bad, bad writing. *cough*

I do love to walk around when there's no one else out there. It's so...well, all of the good descriptors have already been used and I don't want to just copycat folks. It's really great, though. ^-^ The best.

User avatar
swik
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:52 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby swik » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:55 am UTC

I love walking around the city at night, the later the better. I've walked alone late into the night in many different cities (not the safest of habits I suppose). I actually get a bit depressed when the first light starts to appear in the sky. I dislike the morning compared to the night, I don't know why. I'd rather it just stay darker longer than see the sunrise. Things start to feel less peaceful at the first hints of light.

User avatar
lowbart
Posts: 668
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:00 pm UTC
Location: northeastern USA
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby lowbart » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I get to see the sunrise every morning during the colder part of the year because I have to get to school by 7:40.

I prefer sunsets.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

User avatar
JET73L
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:19 am UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby JET73L » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:02 am UTC

I get to see sunrise pretty much every day, having a nocturnal sleep pattern, and I'd have to say it's now my favourite part of the day. The blue tint as the sunlight comes through the windows is relaxing (the sun being too yellow, even though the window, for most of the day), and It's enjoyable to drink a cup of hot chocolate and read a book during the silence before others wake up, and it's no longer creepy from being silent and dark outside at the same time.
The Summoning of Dragons. Single copy, first edition, slighty foxed and extremely dragoned.
+++OUT OF CHEESE ERROR+++ +++PLEASE REBOOT+++
"I assumed we were walking to the bakery." "You alwaysassume that!"

Pocketwatch88
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 am UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby Pocketwatch88 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I'm no fan of parking decks, but I do have a guitar.

... where the heck are you?

User avatar
Shoofle
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:28 pm UTC
Location: Location, Location.
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Shoofle » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

Holy crap, how is this thread still active? Wow.

User avatar
Quadropus
Posts: 572
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby Quadropus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:15 am UTC

^^ Agreed, old thread is old.

I saw the sunset this morning. Mainly because I didn't go to sleep at all so thought I might as well. Was rather nice. The air is really still and still nice and cool.
I might do it again tomorrow morning. Without sleep.
Image

"If I go insane, please don't put your wires in my brain"

User avatar
Raiku
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 pm UTC
Location: Your Fridge
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Raiku » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Image


It could be... what about the ocean?

Well, I would watch sunrises-I've seen a couple on holidays and they're amazing...-but now ther's so much stuff behind my house, you'll be lucky if you can see the sun at all... stupid developers...

User avatar
Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque, NM.

Re: Sunrise

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

About a month ago I stayed up to watch the sunrise for the first time in my life. It was incredibly beautiful, and somehow so much different then simply getting up early. I remember walking over to the uni public field and seeing a few guys out for a run.
I took a picture, but my phone doesn't like looking at the sun. Will definitely to it again.

User avatar
wing
the /b/slayer
Posts: 1876
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 5:56 am UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby wing » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:04 am UTC

Presto-ressurecto.

I come to you with two totally broken sleep schedules - mine, and girl's.

All summer I was operating on Moscow time (I live on the east coast of the US). Why? No reason, really. I just naturally drifted there. Nighttime is so much better than daytime.

Late summer I shifted easily into west coast time for our shared vacation. Upon returning, I have found myself UTTERLY UNABLE to convert into any timezone west of Pacific. My body simply will not shift any further back than sleep at 3AM, up at 10AM.

This is *BAD* because I have class at 10AM. Alarm clocks are futile - I have five. I can successfully disarm every one of them (including one running on the PC behind a goddamn password). I can have her call me as a wakeup call and I'll have a perfectly normal conversation with her... Except for the part where I'm actually sleeping.

I awaken every day precisely 20 minutes before class without effort or prompting - minimum time to get to class is 40 minutes (there's a 30 mile commute in there. So basically this consists of putting on pants and driving).

This needs fixing.


-------------
Her problem is probably worse, because she tends to come home from school or work and simply not have enough energy to do anything. So she takes a 30 minute nap... Which turns into 9 hours of dead sleep. Which ruins her ability to keep on top of her coursework because it destroys all her personal time. Thus she has to pull all-nighters, which in turn perpetuate the cycle (though she usually requires the same "nap" whether she slept the night before or not).


She's always been a bit of a heavy sleeper, but these days she's spending around 2/3rds of the day unconscious.

Both of us started this trend of epic failure around the time I left and went home - which probably points to some sort of underlying psychology that needs addressing.

Thoughts?
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Voco
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm UTC
Location: A land of blind idealism.

Re: Sunrise

Postby Voco » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Wow, I completely misinterpreted this comic. I thought that the guy was doing what you all describe (Something I did myself when I was in Arizona and it wasn't so cold) but that the last panel was poking fun at him.

That is, while he complains that "this isn't a good time to meet people," everyone else is still out partying from the night before, presumably meeting people, and therefore the meaning of the comic was that it's not a bad time to meet people, it's simply always difficult to meet people who enjoy the same, slightly odd things.

User avatar
zomgmouse
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:44 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby zomgmouse » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:33 am UTC

Personally, I thought this thread was about the song by Uriah Heep. I guess not.

That toothpaste comic above
Number3Pencils wrote:Image

really rings true with me, except I don't actually wake up early to do anything about it.

However, I've found that on the days I actually need to get up early (for example), I'm more awake when I first get up than if I wake up at my usual time.
"Alf Todd," said Ukridge, soaring to an impressive burst of imagery, "has about as much chance as a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of melted butter into a wild cat's left ear with a red-hot needle." P.G. Wodehouse

The Cat

Re: Sunrise

Postby The Cat » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

I love both the sunrise and the sunset, especially out on the open ocean. I've never seen one that can compare. The sun just seems to be going for its evening bath and the colors are amazing. You can't help but to feel at peace.

User avatar
Azrael001
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:15 am UTC
Location: The Land of Make Believe.
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Azrael001 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:24 pm UTC

Sunrises are best when viewed after staying up all night. Or if you get up well before first light.
23111

Cherry Kiss
¡This cheese is burning me!
Posts: 627
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby Cherry Kiss » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

I think that since i took on one of those horrific 8-5 jobs, the sun has become the anti-friend. Damn you for being the sign that its EARLY!! lol
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

MuffledScreams
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:13 am UTC
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Sunrise

Postby MuffledScreams » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

My theory is this, all the people that you see happily driving around at 6-7 in the am aren't really morning people. The REAL morning people are the third shift people that are getting out of work and saying screw off to the sun about to sleep.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 25659
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:52 pm UTC

Cherry Kiss wrote:I think that since i took on one of those horrific 8-5 jobs, the sun has become the anti-friend. Damn you for being the sign that its EARLY!! ¡This cheese is burning me!
Travel north and get a job in a place with no windows. With an 8 to 5 job, in the winter months you only see brief hints of sun.

It's awesome*




*Assuming, like me, you loathe the sun and wish nothing more than for a way to end it's existence** without, you know, dooming the planet and all.

**Actually, that's not true. I just want to kill off the visible light spectrum from it. I'll take the rest of it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance
Posts: 30448
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:04 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby Belial » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

I'm working 7-3:30, now. It is pretty dreadful because I am a night person.

That said, the early morning, before everything starts heating and moving and driving, is a very peaceful time to stand on my street.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.


They/them

User avatar
Sungura
When life gives you banananas, make bananana bread
Posts: 3779
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:32 am UTC
Location: AL

Re: Sunrise

Postby Sungura » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:01 pm UTC

I look forward to watching the sunrise in the morning. Of course, through the shorter winter days, I don't see it (I am on the road by 6:30) and now that the days are longer I'm actually missing the start of it. I'm not a morning person, but at least I get to see a pretty sky on my drive into school/lab/work (grad student so not sure which it is heehee). My perfect hours would be like 11am to 2 or 3 am being awake. But really, I get up around 6am and am up until 10 or 11 before I get too tired and have to sleep.
"Would you rather fight a Sungura-sized spider or 1000 spider-sized Sunguras?" -Zarq
she/her/they/snug/gender neutral

User avatar
Chfan
Posts: 2141
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:26 pm UTC
Location: American East Coast

Re: Sunrise

Postby Chfan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Now that goddam Norah Jones song is stuck in my head...'scuse me while I kill myself.
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

User avatar
lemma
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby lemma » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

Necro for necro's sake.

Didn't get a lot of sleep last night, long day today (Sunday), important day tomorrow, and can I sleep? Can I heck.

So now I have honey tea and I'm going to start revising my old and rusty diff. equation knowledge in the hope that I can drift off before my (three) alarm clocks go off at the butt crack of dawn tomorrow morning. Er, I mean, today.

:shock:

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby Josephine » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:24 pm UTC

old thread is old. I like riding my bicycle up a hill here at sunrise. google streetview of the spot, except at the wrong time of day.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
SANTARII
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm UTC
Location: Telford, Shropshire, England.
Contact:

Re: Sunrise

Postby SANTARII » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

I prefer the night personally. I don't walk around outside at night/very early morning as much as I should, I stare out of my window every night and get the urge to...
I once walked with 2 friends past a lake and up a hill and watched the sun rise, probably one of my favourite days.
Pic - http://www.flickr.com/photos/santarii/4 ... 335118996/
It was nice seeing the light on the trees behind us get lower and lower, then when we left and went down the hill we were in it's shadow again, so that sun hadn't risen yet.
Insert witty comment.

Such a cliché.

User avatar
Aardvarki
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby Aardvarki » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

I watched the Sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday. The way the sky looked, where it met the horizon, in the minutes before the sunrise, was more impressive than the sunrise itself, in my opinion. A rainbow of color, red nearest the horizon, purple all throughout the sky - simply beautiful.

I was also surprised how quickly the sun went from just a tiny speck to half-risen.

I haven't watched the sun rise over the ocean in close to a dozen years. It was very relaxing and reminded me of simpler times.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

User avatar
lemma
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby lemma » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:47 pm UTC

Lesson learnt: even sitting in the pub until 11pm is too late of an evening to be able to use the morning after usefully. Good thing I wasn't working today.

User avatar
lemma
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 2:41 pm UTC

Re: Sunrise

Postby lemma » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

Aaaaaaand because I slept so late I now can't sleep and my (first) alarm goes in about three hours' time :shock:

User avatar
flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?
Posts: 619
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Sunrise

Postby flicky1991 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:48 am UTC

We've finally reached the time of year where the sun is up when I leave for work. I'm glad - I hate winter.
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)


Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests