Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.

Seen something interesting in the news or on the intertubes? Discuss it here.

Moderators: Zamfir, Hawknc, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
LegoLogos
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:26 am UTC

Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in God.

Postby LegoLogos » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:39 am UTC

Popular Christian apologist William Lane Craig answers a question on this site "Reasonable Faith". The question is titled True Love

The question was about various aspects of God's loving nature, but the quote below is an extract from William Lane Craig's answer where he explains humanity's moral duty to love God. In particular I was interested to read the following.

(emphasis mine)
I think popular Christian piety very often overlooks the fact that we are morally obligated to believe in God. We often tell unbelievers that God loves them and offers them a relationship which they may freely accept or reject. That’s true as far as it goes, but it does not go nearly far enough. What is missing here is the fact that because of Who God is, we have a moral duty to believe in, love, and worship God with all our mind, heart, and strength, and when we fail to do so, we are morally guilty before Him and so fall under the righteous sentence of His justice. If God simply winked at sin, then He would not be perfectly just and so not perfectly good.

By ignoring the fact of our moral obligations toward God, popular Christian piety invites the response, “What kind of love is this? ‘Believe in me, or I’ll send you to hell!’” That retort is entirely appropriate for a being whom we have no moral obligation to love and obey. But when we understand the fullness of the nature of God, then we see that while we have the ability to reject God’s love and so separate ourselves from Him forever, that does not imply that there are no consequences of such a choice. Because such a choice is profoundly evil, a perfectly just God must punish it. Just as we might say that while I have the freedom to speed down the highway at 100 miles per hour but do not have the liberty to do this because it is against the law, so I have the freedom but not the liberty to disbelieve in God.

To summarise, it may be said that it is immoral not to be a Christian.

Is this really what Christians believe, or is this one of those fundamentalist/extremist Christian attitudes which moderate Christians are not a part of? As a non-Christian I find the idea that Christians believing I'm "profoundly evil" is somewhat unnerving :?

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby mmmcannibalism » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:47 am UTC

I don't believe the actual meaning stated here is any different from mainstream christianity's views; he's just saying it in a rather uneloquent way.

that being said, based off of what he said god is either able to be unjust or not all powerful. If god is all powerful, then there is nothing he must do...If god is completely just then he must do something.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Kyrn
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 pm UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Kyrn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:50 am UTC

I don't think it's unique to Christianity either. And when you think about it, actually logical, given the assumptions that God exists, God is omnipotent, and God is in control. Especially if assuming the whole "Jesus died for us" happened.

Of cause, whether those assumptions are true is a different matter entirely.

mmmcannibalism wrote:that being said, based off of what he said god is either able to be unjust or not all powerful. If god is all powerful, then there is nothing he must do...If god is completely just then he must do something.


Of course, justice and power are but how we try to interpret God. Given that we are lesser beings, how can we truly comprehend?
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:58 am UTC

A person from religion x stating that only people of religion x are moral. Nothing new to see here, move along...

User avatar
LaserGuy
Posts: 4585
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby LaserGuy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:18 am UTC

What's interesting that I see with this claim is that it's just that: a claim. He doesn't really offer any evidence that this moral obligation to God exists, which is unfortunate, to my mind, since I can see that being a rather interesting argument to construct. Even if there is a perfect source of love, goodness, and morality, I'm not sure how that necessarily implies that we would be obligated to give it our praises or adoration.

The problem I always have with these discussions is that if you define God to be perfectly moral, perfectly just, and perfectly good, then when God goes and does something in the Bible, or something in the world, that is neither moral, nor just, nor good, then we're forced to either redefine what morality, justice, or goodness are to suit the whims of God, or we must invoke some higher standard of morality, justice, or goodness by which to judge God's actions--which invariably leads to a contradiction.

User avatar
Coffee Stain
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Coffee Stain » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:31 am UTC

The claim isn't terribly new (or terribly "news") at all. If the God of the type that mainstream Christianity proposes exists, then we are likely morally obligated to believe in Him. Christian philosophy suggests and has suggested for quite some time that correctly functioning cognitive processes produce God-belief, and that lack of God-belief implies a flaw in said processes, all without suggesting that the flaw would be individually perceptible in any obvious way to the conscious mind.

Calorus
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Calorus » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 am UTC

Man who believes in faeries tells us we should all believe in faeries.

Next.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10550
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:36 am UTC

If you are reading this, congratulations, you are among the 2% of humans who are living during a time when famines and wars are so unusual that they make the news. (Don't believe me? Please show me another 60 continuous years of relative peace in Western Europe.) We currently have 10 times the variety of food we did even 200 years ago (check out your grocery store some time), have sources of entertainment even kings didn't have, advanced medicines, yet we still have this 'misery'. Why? Because everything is relative; you might have a fortune relative to someone in Myanmar/Burma, but if you are surrounded by billionaires you would think you were poverty-stricken. It is suffering that keeps life in perspective. You know how sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's no longer there? Try living without toilet-paper for a few weeks. Or go without a refrigerator (root cellars are allowed).

We are far closer to our 'utopia' than any ancient society was, yet we seem to still find ways to be miserable.

Therefore a fair, kind, just, etc, deity would not place man in man's version of utopia, as we would still be miserable in it. The best situation for us would be a world where we improve our lot in life. I'm of the belief that people who work their way to the upper class are happier than the people born into it...

What is scarier than the idea of the world a place with no justice, is that the world is full of justice. How much of your suffering is of your own making, directly or indirectly? Chances are most of it.

I'm not saying that you should believe in any ancient code of rules set out by an ancient Warlord/Con-Artist/Raving-Lunatic, just that understand that what you think is 'good' and what is 'good' are not always the same.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 am UTC, edited 4 times in total.

Princess Marzipan
Posts: 7717
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 5:28 am UTC
Location: neither a road, nor an island

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:38 am UTC

But when we understand the fullness of the nature of God, then we see that while we have the ability to reject God’s love and so separate ourselves from Him forever, that does not imply that there are no consequences of such a choice. Because such a choice is profoundly evil, a perfectly just God must punish it.

Good old circular logic.

He's trying to defeat the "Believe in me or go to Hell!" distillation of the Christian God. He does so by stating that what God ACTUALLY does is punish you for being evil. He then conflates disbelieving in God with being evil, with no support for the claim whatsoever. Unless you count "when we understand the fullness of the nature of God", which I don't because that translates to "Once you already agree with my position,"
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Texas_Ben
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 am UTC
Location: Not in Texas

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:50 am UTC

ITT: Basic theology. Why is this news?

User avatar
phlip
Restorer of Worlds
Posts: 7573
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:56 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby phlip » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Princess Marzipan wrote:Good old circular logic.

I don't think it's circular... it's not "A because B, B because A" but "A because B, B because I say so". Which isn't really any better, but still. He's not trying to use "if you don't believe, you'll be sent to hell" as evidence towards "if you don't believe, you're morally wrong"... he's just not even trying to support the latter, but instead taking it as a given, and talking about some of the (trivial) effects of that being true.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

User avatar
fyrenwater
Posts: 564
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:26 am UTC
Location: SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
Contact:

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby fyrenwater » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 am UTC

<sarcasm>Yes, because his set of morals is the ONLY right one and we should ALL follow it.</sarcasm>

I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think that what's right for them is right for everyone.
...It made more sense in my head.

Kyrn
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 pm UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Kyrn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:12 am UTC

fyrenwater wrote:<sarcasm>Yes, because his set of morals is the ONLY right one and we should ALL follow it.</sarcasm>

I don't think I'll ever understand why some people think that what's right for them is right for everyone.

Because they think they're seeing the bigger picture.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:20 am UTC

Because he's a git. He may not realise he's a git, in fact I'm pretty sure he believes with 100% certainty that he is not a git and is in fact doing everyone a favour. But he's a git.

The more people who believe the same things he does, the more validated he feels. If he thinks his words can scare an atheist into joining his religion club, he'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside for having saved someone's immortal soul.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Kyrn
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:55 pm UTC
Location: The Internet

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Kyrn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Because he's a git. He may not realise he's a git, in fact I'm pretty sure he believes with 100% certainty that he is not a git and is in fact doing everyone a favour. But he's a git.

The more people who believe the same things he does, the more validated he feels. If he thinks his words can scare an atheist into joining his religion club, he'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside for having saved someone's immortal soul.

Sure, resort to name-calling. If you can justify the name-calling, just let the justification stand alone without the name-calling. Right now, anyone can flip your argument to make yourself sound like a git instead.
I am NOT a snake.

Opinions discussed are not necessarily the opinions of the people discussing them.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:36 am UTC

Sure you could, but he's calling everyone who doesn't believe in his particular brand of sky fairy immoral. That's git behaviour.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 am UTC

It also doesn't address the argument that any deity worth believing in would have to respect those who live moral lives without belief in that deity.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:55 am UTC

Plasma Man wrote:It also doesn't address the argument that any deity worth believing in would have to respect those who live moral lives without belief in that deity.

How's that? You don't respect the right of your puppy to pee on the carpet.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 am UTC

Nor do you condemn it to eternal damnation for doing so.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

yedidyak
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm UTC
Location: Israel

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby yedidyak » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:17 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Nor do you condemn it to eternal damnation for doing so.


He's not condemning anybody. He believes that his god will, and that by converting people he is saving them. If you accept his premise as a given, as he does, his actions are logical.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:21 am UTC

yedidyak wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Nor do you condemn it to eternal damnation for doing so.


He's not condemning anybody. He believes that his god will, and that by converting people he is saving them. If you accept his premise as a given, as he does, his actions are logical.


I was talking about God, not this person.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

yedidyak
Posts: 954
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 pm UTC
Location: Israel

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby yedidyak » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:32 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
yedidyak wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Nor do you condemn it to eternal damnation for doing so.


He's not condemning anybody. He believes that his god will, and that by converting people he is saving them. If you accept his premise as a given, as he does, his actions are logical.


I was talking about God, not this person.


Sorry. But still, if God is an omnipotent omniscient being, who created everything for some purpose of His, do you really think that you could understand Him? Could you expect Him to be just like you, with the same moral code just bigger? Could you really claim to be yourself omniscient about God and His morality?

(This is all devil's advocate, not my personal opinion)

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:33 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Nor do you condemn it to eternal damnation for doing so.

But you set the rules, without any attempt or consideration to involve the dog in making them. The dog wouldn't understand, isn't able to make a meaningful contribution, or anything. You decide what's good in general and for the dog, and that even includes killing the dog if he passes some line he is hardly aware off, like biting a stranger.

I don't intend this as a perfect analogy of the relationship between people and a god, omnipotent or just very potent. Just to illustrate that it is weird to assume we have some sort of bargaining position, if there is a god.

Saying "a god who sends good people to hell is not worth believing in" is just saying you don't believe in such a god in the first place. Being worthy has nothing to do with it. If there really is a god who sends people to hell if they do things the wrong way, no matter what those things are, than those things are the wrong things.

User avatar
iop
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:26 am UTC
Location: The ivory tower

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby iop » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

But when we understand the fullness of the nature of God, then we see that while we have the ability to reject God’s love and so separate ourselves from Him forever, that does not imply that there are no consequences of such a choice. Because such a choice is profoundly evil, a perfectly just God must punish it.

To me, as a Christian, the bolded part is blasphemy. Who does this guy think he is that he can say what God must or mustn't do?

Also, the parabole of the prodigal son contradicts this reasoning: The son who leaves the father suffers, but not because of the father. He suffers because he screws up and doesn't have anyone to turn to. When he returns, willing to ask for forgiveness, what does the father do? The father forgives and celebrates the son's return. What is to me the most interesting part is the conversation between the father and the other son, who stayed. The other son goes like: "WTF? Why do you celebrate the good-for-nothing's return, instead of celebrating me staying with you?" And the father says: "But you have always been with me."

In other words, the view from the Bible is not that we all are obligated to believe in God, and the heathens are punished. It's that those among us who believe will have it better than those who don't. The only bit of merit the guy's argument may have is that once you come to realize/accept that God is awesome, it makes a lot of sense to believe. Constructing a moral obligation from that is, IMHO, ludicrous.

/Aside: All this emphasis on "omnipontence", "omniscience" etc. by the evangelicals is, in my eyes, nothing more than a pissing contest: "My God is more awesome than your God".

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby The Reaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:35 pm UTC

Tip for living a blessed life: don't be a dick. (its ok if it happens once in a tiny bit, but keep it to yourself)

I tend to think of an all powerful god as something that would be neither good nor evil, really.

Then again, my current divine beliefs lean towards an infinite consciousness and chaotic recursion. Good times.

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

iop wrote:/Aside: All this emphasis on "omnipontence", "omniscience" etc. by the evangelicals is, in my eyes, nothing more than a pissing contest: "My God is more awesome than your God".

Catholics are big on it too. Are there actually Christian denomiations that do not say that god is omniscient and omnipotent? I though it was pretty deep in the core of Christianity.

iop wrote:In other words, the view from the Bible is not that we all are obligated to believe in God, and the heathens are punished. It's that those among us who believe will have it better than those who don't.

Isnt the bible pretty weak on afterworld punishments in general? The genral ideas seems more that there is no afterlife for unbelievers and sinners, not that they are punished.

paddyfool
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby paddyfool » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

The Reaper wrote: don't be a dick.


Excellent advice.

Duban
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:22 pm UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Duban » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

LaserGuy wrote:What's interesting that I see with this claim is that it's just that: a claim. He doesn't really offer any evidence that this moral obligation to God exists, which is unfortunate, to my mind, since I can see that being a rather interesting argument to construct.

If these people needed evidence or reason for their claims they wouldn't be fundamentalist Christians in the first place.
It is not the gods I fear. No, It is those who claim to speak for them that concern me.

User avatar
Aikanaro
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:43 pm UTC
Location: Saint Louis, MO

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:Isnt the bible pretty weak on afterworld punishments in general? The general ideas seems more that there is no afterlife for unbelievers and sinners, not that they are punished.

I often suspect Dogma got it right: "Did you know Hell used to be nothing more than the absence of God? And if you had ever been in his presence, you would know that it was punishment enough."

Also, as I think I may have mentioned before, it's debatable whether it's even a punishment, per se, so much as simply a lack of reward/invitation. See Annihilationism, for example. Or, for a really, REALLY bizarre way of looking it....if we're completely dependent on God for our existence, would him letting us wander off/damning us/whatever be like the spiritual equivalent of him being a pregnant mother and having us aborted? :shock:

Whew, I think I need sleep.....
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby EmptySet » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

yedidyak wrote:Sorry. But still, if God is an omnipotent omniscient being, who created everything for some purpose of His, do you really think that you could understand Him? Could you expect Him to be just like you, with the same moral code just bigger? Could you really claim to be yourself omniscient about God and His morality?


Wouldn't that argument imply that all people who make assertions that God wants this or doesn't want that are in error, including but not limited to the dude who is asserting that disbelief is immoral?

User avatar
Lazar
Landed Gentry
Posts: 2151
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:49 pm UTC
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Lazar » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

...I have the freedom but not the liberty...

Tangential, but I hate it when people use synonymous words contrastively to make a point that would be untranslatable in most other languages. (cf. German Freiheit, Spanish libertad.)
Exit the vampires' castle.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
yedidyak wrote:Sorry. But still, if God is an omnipotent omniscient being, who created everything for some purpose of His, do you really think that you could understand Him? Could you expect Him to be just like you, with the same moral code just bigger? Could you really claim to be yourself omniscient about God and His morality?


Wouldn't that argument imply that all people who make assertions that God wants this or doesn't want that are in error, including but not limited to the dude who is asserting that disbelief is immoral?


No, those guys have the bible. That God wrote. It's proof.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.
Posts: 7604
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:43 pm UTC
Location: Nederland

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Zamfir » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
yedidyak wrote:Sorry. But still, if God is an omnipotent omniscient being, who created everything for some purpose of His, do you really think that you could understand Him? Could you expect Him to be just like you, with the same moral code just bigger? Could you really claim to be yourself omniscient about God and His morality?


Wouldn't that argument imply that all people who make assertions that God wants this or doesn't want that are in error, including but not limited to the dude who is asserting that disbelief is immoral?

Yes. So you then base your religion on a book, or on the lives of people who were granted special knowledge.

The Reaper
Posts: 4008
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:37 am UTC
Location: San Antonio, Tx
Contact:

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby The Reaper » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
yedidyak wrote:Sorry. But still, if God is an omnipotent omniscient being, who created everything for some purpose of His, do you really think that you could understand Him? Could you expect Him to be just like you, with the same moral code just bigger? Could you really claim to be yourself omniscient about God and His morality?


Wouldn't that argument imply that all people who make assertions that God wants this or doesn't want that are in error, including but not limited to the dude who is asserting that disbelief is immoral?

Yes. So you then base your religion on a book, or on the lives of people who were granted special knowledge.

Congress? Horrible basis for morality.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Dauric » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

LegoLogos wrote:Is this really what Christians believe, or is this one of those fundamentalist/extremist Christian attitudes which moderate Christians are not a part of? As a non-Christian I find the idea that Christians believing I'm "profoundly evil" is somewhat unnerving :?


This is the important question here from the first post, and I think it's a complicated one to answer.

I know there's Christians that don't hold to this idea, a few of my good friends are in this category. Generally they hold to a somewhat wiccan view that the divine forces of the universe reveal themselves differently to different people, and that for them the divine reveals itself as the Christian God and to a similar/lesser extent as Jesus Christ, while it's not their job to interpret the divine for others, that's the job of the Divine and the individual to work out.

The second group of Christians tends to believe that everyone's a Christian Just Like Them, and while they refrain from discussing religion (after all everyone in the homogeneity believes the same thing what is there to discuss?) if the topic ever comes up with a non-Christian they tend to be stunned that they've actually encountered someone outside their experience, and they'd just rather drop the subject before their worldview is damaged by more exposure to those seditious alien thoughts.

I think this second group are the most responsible for supporting crap like going apeshit over gay marriage. It's not about the 'sanctity of marriage' they're perfectly comfortable with civil divorces, it's that men with men and women with women challenges their worldview and it scares them out of their minds.

The last group are the noisy fanatics that think they've got the handle on the One True Way, and think the rest of the Christians (even others in this category) are lapsed sinners who need to repent for their sins and prostrate themselves (and their bank accounts) to the Correct and Righteous God.

Edit: I'm not saying that these are the only permutations a person can belong to, but that the large clusters of the population (in my experience) focus in to these groups.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
Decker
Posts: 2071
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:22 pm UTC
Location: Western N.Y.

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Decker » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

I have to side with "Why is this news?" sentiment. I was raised Catholic and I've heard this argument countless times. Don't accept Jesus as your savior? To hell you go.
This person might have a different reason for it, but it's the same person in a different suit.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I have to side with "Why is this news?" sentiment. I was raised Catholic and I've heard this argument countless times. Don't accept Jesus as your savior? To hell you go.
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to hell we go, with lots of flame and us to blame, hi ho, hi ho hi ho hi ho...

User avatar
iop
Posts: 930
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:26 am UTC
Location: The ivory tower

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby iop » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:
iop wrote:/Aside: All this emphasis on "omnipontence", "omniscience" etc. by the evangelicals is, in my eyes, nothing more than a pissing contest: "My God is more awesome than your God".

Catholics are big on it too. Are there actually Christian denomiations that do not say that god is omniscient and omnipotent? I though it was pretty deep in the core of Christianity.

Sure, but there are different levels of "omnipotency" and "omniscience". God according to Catholicism supposedly acts rationally, which already chips away at the potency (the God of Calvin, as well as Allah, isn't bound by rationalism). Furthermore, predestination as well was introduced by Calvin in order to make God more omniscient.

Zamfir wrote:
iop wrote:In other words, the view from the Bible is not that we all are obligated to believe in God, and the heathens are punished. It's that those among us who believe will have it better than those who don't.

Isnt the bible pretty weak on afterworld punishments in general? The genral ideas seems more that there is no afterlife for unbelievers and sinners, not that they are punished.

Absolutely. The whole complicated hell is a product of the middle ages. Supposedly the great thinkers of the time didn't have the internet yet, so they had to spend their energy on figuring out the Bible and everything that might be implied in the text if one only stares at it for enough time.

User avatar
Dauric
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:58 pm UTC
Location: In midair, traversing laterally over a container of sharks. No water, just sharks, with lasers.

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby Dauric » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

iop wrote: Supposedly the great thinkers of the time didn't have the internet yet, so they had to spend their energy on figuring out the Bible and everything that might be implied in the text if one only stares at it for enough time.


So... the book of Revelations is 4chan?

... yeah, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so maybe that only makes sense to me at this moment.
We're in the traffic-chopper over the XKCD boards where there's been a thread-derailment. A Liquified Godwin spill has evacuated threads in a fourty-post radius of the accident, Lolcats and TVTropes have broken free of their containers. It is believed that the Point has perished.

User avatar
podbaydoor
Posts: 7548
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:16 am UTC
Location: spaceship somewhere out there

Re: Christian claims we are morally obligated to believe in

Postby podbaydoor » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:43 pm UTC

Dauric wrote:
iop wrote: Supposedly the great thinkers of the time didn't have the internet yet, so they had to spend their energy on figuring out the Bible and everything that might be implied in the text if one only stares at it for enough time.


So... the book of Revelations is 4chan?

... yeah, I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, so maybe that only makes sense to me at this moment.

Considering that 4chan generated the concept of Catnarok, that may not be so far-fetched.
tenet |ˈtenit|
noun
a principle or belief, esp. one of the main principles of a religion or philosophy : the tenets of classical liberalism.
tenant |ˈtenənt|
noun
a person who occupies land or property rented from a landlord.


Return to “News & Articles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests