0170: "Turn Back"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Shoofle
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:28 pm UTC
Location: Location, Location.
Contact:

0170: "Turn Back"

Postby Shoofle » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:14 am UTC

This really is extremely Calvin & Hobbes-y.

User avatar
FrizB
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:24 am UTC
Contact:

Postby FrizB » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:21 am UTC

true
"One death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."
-Joseph Stalin

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:30 am UTC
Location: Seattle

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:17 am UTC

All it needs is a red wagon.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?

User avatar
MrBawn
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:52 pm UTC

Postby MrBawn » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 am UTC

The weird thing is, the comic should be a boy and his tiger, but it's a boy and his girlfriend. As if Hobbes has been replaced by Susie Derkins. I always wondered if she would replace Hobbes in Calvin's life some day.

User avatar
Axolotl
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:15 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Postby Axolotl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:32 am UTC

Nice work. Calvin & Hobbes is my favourite classic comic strip, and as soon as I saw the semi-loaded image (these things take a while on dialup) I was thrilled to see an unmistakably Watterson-esque landscape. The writing is a perfect blend of xkcd and C&H, without descending into parody or blatant idea-theft, and without disregarding the importance of using the whole visual metaphor thing to actually say something. Pretty much the perfect tribute.

User avatar
xkcd
Site Ninja
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:03 am UTC
Contact:

Postby xkcd » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:42 am UTC

Axolotl wrote:Nice work. Calvin & Hobbes is my favourite classic comic strip, and as soon as I saw the semi-loaded image (these things take a while on dialup) I was thrilled to see an unmistakably Watterson-esque landscape. The writing is a perfect blend of xkcd and C&H, without descending into parody or blatant idea-theft, and without disregarding the importance of using the whole visual metaphor thing to actually say something. Pretty much the perfect tribute.


When I was a kid I read C&H and other such comic collections to fill all the little bits of filler time in between the other parts of life, and I pretty much knew them all by heart. And it's funny how even now that I'm an adult, every time I reread them I get strips I didn't get before. And one thing I didn't really notice for a long time was the way the background in strips like the wagon ride conversations so often served as an illustration of the discussions they were having.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:55 am UTC

Oh man, I used to love Calvin and Hobbes as a kid. Haven't read any in a while.

This reminds me of this link, which I may have found here in the first place:

http://metaphilm.com/philm.php?id=29_0_2_0

I always thought it was quite funny. :lol:

"In a scene eerily reminiscent of Fight Club, Hobbes blithely informs a sulking Calvin that he decides his own level of involvement in G.R.O.S.S."

User avatar
Axolotl
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:15 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Postby Axolotl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:59 am UTC

xkcd wrote:When I was a kid I read C&H and other such comic collections to fill all the little bits of filler time in between the other parts of life, and I pretty much knew them all by heart. And it's funny how even now that I'm an adult, every time I reread them I get strips I didn't get before. And one thing I didn't really notice for a long time was the way the background in strips like the wagon ride conversations so often served as an illustration of the discussions they were having.

Yeah I know what you mean. I used to love C&H back when all but the most blatant metaphorical detail went completely over my head, whereas now whenever I go back to the books I appreciate them- as the cliche goes- on a different level. The brilliant thing is that Bill Watterson managed to achieve this depth without sacrificing the charm and humour generated by the simple formula of great characters, art and dialogue.

User avatar
Axolotl
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:15 am UTC
Location: Melbourne

Postby Axolotl » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 am UTC

Ok that last bit made me sound like a bit of a tosser but my point remains valid.

User avatar
Matt
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:01 am UTC
Location: behind the bottle of Campari

Postby Matt » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:18 am UTC

this is basically going back to my art-roots
Hi. I'm from Massachusetts.

TheReverend
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 pm UTC
Location: most likely at work
Contact:

Postby TheReverend » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:29 pm UTC

I'm beginning to wonder if today's C&H comic and the fact that there was snow on the ground this morning are signs from a higher being that I need to build decapitated snowmen this winter. I've got free time.

narpas
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:49 am UTC

Postby narpas » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:43 pm UTC

If your higher deity doesn't regularly call you to make snowmen in the winter, it's time to get a new higher deity.

*Sings...

Jesus tells me to make snowmen. This I know, this I know. Jesus tells me to make snowmen, and roll around in leaves!

User avatar
fjafjan
THE fjafjan
Posts: 4766
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:22 pm UTC
Location: Down south up north in the west of eastern west.
Contact:

Postby fjafjan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:26 pm UTC

heh, made me go back and read some of my old C&H comics, great stuff :D
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

User avatar
wisnij
Posts: 425
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:03 pm UTC
Location: a planet called Erp
Contact:

Postby wisnij » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:49 pm UTC

Hahaha, nice! Calvin and Hobbes is the very first thing I thought of when I saw the strip, even before I looked at the title text. Well played. :)
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

User avatar
Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"
Posts: 1442
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:25 am UTC
Location: Drinks Cabinet.
Contact:

Postby Verysillyman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:01 pm UTC

We had a great snowstorm this winter, and all day long i'd look out the window, see all the flurry falling, and think "It's a magical world" then try to think of a time I might have spare to go and read some C&H. I didn't end up getting spare time that day, but it was good fun.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:18 pm UTC

TheReverend wrote:I'm beginning to wonder if today's C&H comic and the fact that there was snow on the ground this morning are signs from a higher being that I need to build decapitated snowmen this winter. I've got free time.



"What are you talking about? This is just the Big Toe!"


...This is the first time I have ever used it, but for me, C&H very definately deserves a Less Than Three. Here goes... <3!
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

This is one of the best. It's so both romantic and poignant. It's just awesome. Such a far cry from the CS logician. Something anyone can understand. The terror and the beauty of life and finding new things and exploring your universe. Also, exploring relationships. You could almost cry, except that you're not a pussy...pussy.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:08 am UTC

Anyone seen the C&H where Hobbes turns back into a toy because Calvin is too busy doing homework to play with him?
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'
`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'
`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:15 am UTC

Lester :P wrote:Anyone seen the C&H where Hobbes turns back into a toy because Calvin is too busy doing homework to play with him?


That's a fake C&H, thank god. At least I think that's what you're talking about.

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 am UTC

bbctol wrote:
Lester :P wrote:Anyone seen the C&H where Hobbes turns back into a toy because Calvin is too busy doing homework to play with him?


That's a fake C&H, thank god. At least I think that's what you're talking about.


It looks pretty darn real, did they just steal stuff from other panels?
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'

`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

Lester :P wrote:
bbctol wrote:
Lester :P wrote:Anyone seen the C&H where Hobbes turns back into a toy because Calvin is too busy doing homework to play with him?


That's a fake C&H, thank god. At least I think that's what you're talking about.


It looks pretty darn real, did they just steal stuff from other panels?


Image

Is this or something like it what you're thinking of? Because yeah, I think they just stole things from other panels and added the text.

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

I don't remember the pills bit, but yea, and fake or not, it's pretty darn sad.
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'

`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

It's only temporary. Next time he wants to play, he'll come back, it's not like Puff the magic dragon.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 pm UTC

But thats what happened with Puff! He gradually grew up and then boom, Jackie Paper was no more.

In the comic Calvin chooses to be adult rather than to follow his dreams.
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'

`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

Lester :P wrote:But thats what happened with Puff! He gradually grew up and then boom, Jackie Paper was no more.

In the comic Calvin chooses to be adult rather than to follow his dreams.


Sometimes you have to be adult to follow your dreams.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

roxormancer
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:19 am UTC

Postby roxormancer » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

off topic: anyone ever end up on the calvin & hobbes vs fight club site?
http://ignatz.brinkster.net/cfightclub.html

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:43 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Lester :P wrote:But thats what happened with Puff! He gradually grew up and then boom, Jackie Paper was no more.

In the comic Calvin chooses to be adult rather than to follow his dreams.


Sometimes you have to be adult to follow your dreams.


Not if they're good ones :P
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'

`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
thedufer
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:11 am UTC
Location: Northern VA (not to be confused with VA)
Contact:

Re: Official "Turn Back" Discussion

Postby thedufer » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am UTC

Shoofle wrote:This really is extremely Calvin & Hobbes-y.


Topics in this forum are supposed to have the comic as well the alt-text in the first post, as well as a link to the comic (often embedded in the image). Just warning you before a mod changes it and leaves a raptor in your house for not reading the rules.

User avatar
madjo
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:07 am UTC
Location: Dutch-land
Contact:

Postby madjo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:49 pm UTC

were those rules set up before or after Oct 13, 2006? :)

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5939
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

Yeah, I mean we haven't see Shoofle around here in AGES!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

TheQuietElf
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Re: 0170: "Turn Back"

Postby TheQuietElf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

This strip was especially romantic. Such is life.

Find joy in being lost. :wink:

User avatar
EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Re:

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

Lester :P wrote:
CatProximity wrote:Sometimes you have to be adult to follow your dreams.

Not if they're good ones :P


One of my dreams included gaining the independence to provide for myself rather than rely on others to fulfill all of my needs.

Another included gaining the strength to make sacrifices for those I care for so that their lives might be better than my own.

A third included no longer crapping my pants after every meal.


Those were all some pretty good dreams. And two of them actually came true!


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests