Civil War - Marvel Style

For those sublime unions of literature and art.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Civil War - Marvel Style

Postby ekzrated » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

I know this is probably not the thread for this, but if you guys read Civil War, what did you think of Iron Man's role in the whole fiasco?
I for one am torn, really.
I'M MY OWN CASE-STUDY!!!!!!
ekzrated

Re: Civil War - Marvel Style

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:51 pm UTC

My thoughts can be summed up by the following hilarious image.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby ekzrated » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:52 pm UTC

Ha ha... Thanks SecondTalon. I suppose I should have started a new thread anyway.

So, since I'm free to discuss this here... I'm quite torn about Captain America's role in it. Anyone else?
ekzrated

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

Iron Man's role was pretty in keeping with his character. He wanted to make things better, regardless of the possible negative consequences. He's a genius and able to see these things. I think some of the side stories painted a negative light on his actions, but I think it was in character.

Same with Cap, really. He wants what's best for the people of the country, even if the people don't agree with him. He realized at the end that he was actually hurting those people in his fight, so he gave up to potentially fight it the right way.
Endless Mike

Postby ekzrated » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

I liked the storyline, personally. To me it reflected the ideology of the time, with respects to the reactions towards people who spoke out against the war in Iraq or the administration, etc. I still sided with Cap ideologically, though. I thought the populations' reaction in the storyline was right along the lines of how society reacts to tragic events in real life (which is to say it over-reacts).
ekzrated

Postby GhostWolfe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:42 am UTC

Late to the party, as always; sorry for the necro. I've just started reading the Civil War (after playing a segment of it in Ultimate Alliance 2).

I'm really torn on IronMan. On one hand, I love him, I know he's trying to what's right. On the otherhand, (and I'm only a few issues in) the levels of douchebaggery that he's sunk to make me wanna bitchslap him.

Also: I'm really enjoying Civil War, but I heard a rumour that it was suckful, and I should quit while I'm ahead. I'm not the kind to take advice like that, but I was wondering if that reflects general opinion or not.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.
GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby ekzrated » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:00 am UTC

Well, I personally enjoyed the storyline. Again, there were many people who've complained about it, though. I am generally fairly easy to please, so take it as you will. However, if you do enjoy it, let me know. I'd love to have a bit of discourse with someone else (which is why I started this thread in the first place).
ekzrated

Postby Jesse » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:06 am UTC

I liked the idea, and it had some good moments. But Quesada managed to, as usual, confuse himself and everyone around him, and forget which group we were supposed to be supporting.
Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Belial » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:54 am UTC

I don't think he forgot. I think he just chose the wrong damn one, and all of his writers maybe disagreed. Also, had a horrifically unoriginal idea. The Civil War was basically just the themes of "X-Men" writ large across the entire marvel universe. Which would be bad enough, because we already *had* that story, and the other comics were about other things, so it was fucking redundant to wrap them all up in a rehash of that same idea. Stack on Joe Quesada inexplicably fucking expecting us to cheer for the superpowered, fascist, dog-kicking version of senator Kelly, and it just gets stupid.

Can someone please challenge that no-talent, mid-life-crisis-wracked asshole to single combat for the marvel throne, or however the fuck it works over there?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Well...Quesada had his opinions, but the editorial position was that the individual writers were allowed to tell stories reflecting their thoughts, regardless of what they were. JMS, for instance, made it abundantly clear that he didn't like what Iron Man was doing. As a reader, you weren't *really* being led to prefer either side if all you read was the main series, although I believe Millar himself tended towards the Iron Man side of things.
Endless Mike

Postby tgjensen » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I don't think he forgot. I think he just chose the wrong damn one, and all of his writers maybe disagreed. Also, had a horrifically unoriginal idea. The Civil War was basically just the themes of "X-Men" writ large across the entire marvel universe. Which would be bad enough, because we already *had* that story, and the other comics were about other things, so it was fucking redundant to wrap them all up in a rehash of that same idea. Stack on Joe Quesada inexplicably fucking expecting us to cheer for the superpowered, fascist, dog-kicking version of senator Kelly, and it just gets stupid.

Can someone please challenge that no-talent, mid-life-crisis-wracked asshole to single combat for the marvel throne, or however the fuck it works over there?

The one interesting thing in the whole storyline was that for once, the rebels weren't the good guys that stood victorious at the end, which admittedly surprised me. I mean, Mr. Fantastic even whipped up irrefutable mathematical proof that registration was a nessecary evil, and I was still wondering how the hell they planned to explain that one once the rebels had won. So for that I have some respect.
tgjensen

Postby pineapplepie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 am UTC

Good concept, but the way it was carried out... yeah, no. I don't like how Iron Man and the pro-registration side were kind of strawmen-like. They had legitimate objections, but the douchebaggery they sank to... Registration could actually be viable if it was more like having a driver's licence, or ID to prove that you're twenty-one if you want to buy alcohol. Some superheroes get so damn deranged at times (see: Hulk, anyone gone evil ever) that Registration was probably the best course of action.
pineapplepie

Postby El Spark » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

I was kind of glad to see that Thor had a few things to say to Iron Man that a lot of readers were thinking, namely this.

Also, I feel that Civil War really paved the way for Planet Hulk and World War Hulk, which are some of my favorite stories to ever come out of the Marvel Universe.

I really hope that the instant people start talking registration in the Ultimates Universe, Captain America starts kicking ass and taking names.
Check out my short horror story "No One Rents 203," available in Kindle and Nook formats.
El Spark

Return to Comics/Graphic Novels