Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Taking it seriously: The zombie problem

Postby Vapour » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 am UTC

Water bottles, some high energy food and some normal food (Canned food), LED flashlight, extra batteries, super glue, bandages + plasters, a crowbar, a pocket knife, pliers, two boxs of matches, zippo lighter with extra fuel, electrical tape, a magnesium bar, string, lots of string, blanket, waterproofs. Floor mat (padding you can use while camping).
Few spare clothes, a map, a weapon (Baseball bat or something) Will mostly be flight rather then fight.

Think that covers most of it, probably a load I've missed though.
Vapour

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am UTC

pheonixduprese wrote:yeah, how does that get in there?

Open backpack, put kukri inside, close backpack?

How is that not hard to understand? If your backpack can't handle an object 16-18 inches long, it's.. kinda a small backpack, isn't it?
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Torvaun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:14 pm UTC

Oh hey, it's a backpack. Wonder what's inside it...

Wait, is that what I think it is?

KUKRI, MOTHERFUCKER!
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

Well, what would you recommend if cast-iron is too soft to knock the stupid out of a zombie head?
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!
Oregonaut

Postby Josephine » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:24 pm UTC

Why are people bringing magnesium bars? You don't have anything that can light it, what other uses are there?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

In the field you take a magbar and shave off some of it, then strike sparks with a metal object and a rock. The sparks light the mag shavings.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Josephine » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Yeah, solid magnesium needs really high heat, like an acetylene torch or something similar.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.
Josephine

Postby Torvaun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:01 pm UTC

Yeah. It's meant for shaving. And mine is a camping one with a flint (not actually flint, some metal alloy) in the spine of it for making sparks. Just use the back of the knife you shaved it with, and bam.

ETA: I'm against melee with zombies whenever possible. Even if you're so damn good you can guarantee they won't be able to injure you in the slightest, most attacks have the potential for sending zombie juices flying around. As far as we know, zombie juice on skin is all it takes, let alone in the eyes or mouth.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.
Torvaun

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

I feel the same way, but it is the same principle as a gun or a condom.

That's why I'm going to add some melee weapons to my EPB when I can find some that cover the Zed menace.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Torvaun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Nitrile gloves and brass knuckles, then.
Torvaun

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

nitrile gloves tear easy, and need to be disposed of after each fight. Carrying a box means a limited supply.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby pheonixduprese » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I would have to concur. Your best bet would be a firearm and a flightish nature. Preferably a bow and arrow, because you can always make more arrows/bows if necessary.
Candace wrote: She's like CATNIP for BOYS! She's BOYNIP!
pheonixduprese

Postby Josephine » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

pheonixduprese wrote:I would have to concur. Your best bet would be a firearm and a flightish nature. Preferably a bow and arrow, because you can always make more arrows/bows if necessary.

A bow and arrow isn't going to do much to a zombie, unless you're a good enough shot to hit the Achilles tendon every time. A gun and plenty of ammo is a lot better.
Josephine

Postby Telchar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

Or sever the spinal cord. A shot through the neck with a broadhead arrow would do plenty of damage. Your problem is going to be getting a bow with enough power to sever a zombie neck at a distance.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.
Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Josephine » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:37 am UTC

A composite bow or a crossbow would be great for that.
Josephine

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I forgot, what kind of zombies were we working with here? Because leaving a bitey-head on the ground after severing the spine makes the kitten cry.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:50 pm UTC

All of them. So if you're applying a solution, it's best to mention which Zombies this will work for, which it will not, and which ones would end up better off due to your actions.

Downer Buzzkillington Logic -
Spoiler:
Since Zombies are completely fictional, it seems only fair that when discussing a defense, one should include every and all zombie types that one has encountered in Fiction, from the kind that have some sort of muscle memory and group in places that meant something to them and seem to actually learn (albeit slowly) [Romero Zombies]... to your notactuallyzombies Zombies [28 Days/Weeks] and even your intelligent zombies [Revenge of the Living Dead]. And all the types I missed that fall in-between those three, or even outside of that triangle.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Oregonaut » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Ok, that's what I thought. I just didn't want to harsh on their logic if we were discussing the Romero zombies, where severing the head doesn't do pants.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby pheonixduprese » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:04 pm UTC

FRelatedT: If the shit does ever hit the fan, damn. Zombies are scary.
pheonixduprese

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Just how much fluids are you expecting to be flying around? Your fairly-typical zombie is undead, and juices in a corpse tend to congeal. Sure, a recent zombie might be somewhat messy, but a month-or-more-old is basically going to be dessicated. Which begs the question of how they move, but we can ignore that. ;)
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Well, your truly dead-undead are going to be less of a problem as time progresses, simply due to decay. Unless they are magical dead-undead, at which point they will retain the reanimated state unless acted upon by an outside force of sufficient strength (plus magical weapon +1 or better). If they are 28D/W/M/Y/C-L dead, then they are still living to a degree, and will not congeal, at which point fluid transfer is an issue.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

Well, if they're actual living zombies, then you would need no special tactics to beat them; they are basically just incredibly stupid and aggressive people.

Still, the benefits of a melee weapon are in it's use as a backup/emergency weapon, either as a last resort (such as out of bullets or you just got tackled from around a corner) or something you are likely to get early on, unlike firearms (for example, I have several swords on my wall, there's hammers and axes in the garage, but guns have to be kept somewhere safe, i.e. hard to access, such as a safe or locked gun cabinet). Not to mention they tend to be silent (you use a ball-peen* hammer to kill a zombie you just can't avoid, instead of firing and attracting more) and can have other uses (axe, crowbar, and machete, for example).

*I apologize if I spelled that wrong.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby pheonixduprese » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Well, if they're actual living zombies, then you would need no special tactics to beat them; they are basically just incredibly stupid and aggressive people.

*cough* *cough* KIM JONG IL *cough* *cough* HITLER *cough* *cough* AHMADINEJAD *cough* *cough*

Incredibly stupid yet aggressive are probably the most dangerous kind of people/being, because they don't have the ability to rationalize.
pheonixduprese

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

pheonixduprese wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:Well, if they're actual living zombies, then you would need no special tactics to beat them; they are basically just incredibly stupid and aggressive people.

*cough* *cough* KIM JONG IL *cough* *cough* HITLER *cough* *cough* AHMADINEJAD *cough* *cough*

Incredibly stupid yet aggressive are probably the most dangerous kind of people/being, because they don't have the ability to rationalize.

Well, when I mean incredibly stupid and aggressive, I mean "charges right at you without any plan or weapon and tries to kill you with bare hands/teeth." No one ever accused the infected in Left 4 Dead* or 28 Days Later of ever being smart.

Also, I should mention that, if fighting smart zombies, I'd probably wind up offing myself, honestly.

* Vs doesn't count!

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

Or even worse, the desire to rationalize. They also like disproportionate responses.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Or even worse, the desire to rationalize. They also like disproportionate responses.

I was thinking zombies that are just as smart as us. For example, there is a book out there in which the zombies have all the memories of their former selves but are still just as aggressive towards living things as mindless zombies are, so they can use weapons, drive, set traps, etc. That would just be bad all around.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

Yes, but that's no different than fighting humans. If they are intelligent, they are not as scary. Intelligent creatures have motives, they have rationality, they can be predicted, misdirected, and misled. PSYOPS still function on creatures with intelligence, no matter how basic. Zombies are scary because nothing you do will prevent them from taking over the world eventually.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:34 pm UTC

Oregonaut wrote:Yes, but that's no different than fighting humans. If they are intelligent, they are not as scary. Intelligent creatures have motives, they have rationality, they can be predicted, misdirected, and misled. PSYOPS still function on creatures with intelligence, no matter how basic. Zombies are scary because nothing you do will prevent them from taking over the world eventually.

No. Something capable of spreading just like zombies, such as a bite (in the book, anyone who dies without massive brain trauma came back, which was even worse because you were one heart attack away from an outbreak in any shelter), just as set on my destruction as a typical zombie, but also capable of making coherent plans, using complex tools, etc is a much scarier threat. Remember, they would still be zombies, they would just have a lot more options on killing you (or driving you out to infect you).

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:50 pm UTC

So you're saying more "sentient", instead of "intelligent"? Because if they can communicate with each other, discuss optimal hunting strategies, develop fallback plans, etc. Then you can predict what they are going to do. Zombies with guns are really not that much different than humans with guns.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Are you kidding? You can much more easily predict what a typical mindless zombie will do; it will see you, head towards you in the most direct path possible, and try to eat you. That's why tactics like making them fall off cliffs work so well, and why you can rely on nothing more than a static barrier to keep you safe.

Intelligent zombies are much, much, MUCH less predictable. To use a comparison, that's why we have intelligence operations in wars because "psyops" don't freaking work. You need to KNOW what your enemy is up to in order to counter it. Only this time it's different; there is no negotiation. They exist for no reason other than to turn you or kill you. Only now, they can shoot at you, or burn your fort down, or tunnel under a wall, or poison your water, or if they have the resources even pull off an air strike, or anything they can possibly think of doing to get their objective. Heck, they'd even be capable of psychological warfare, such as calling out to remind you that you don't have food for eternity and wouldn't it be better to join their ranks instead of slowly starve to death, or threaten to brutally torture someone near and dear to you until you come out.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

Right. Because a thinking enemy won't actively attempt to engage, instead of sitting in the closet for seven years doing nothing because they don't require thought.

<this has been sarcasm>

I would rather face, and have faced a number of times, opponents who actively attempt to pursue me. The danger comes from thinking you are safe only to find out that you really, really are not.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

Right. Because a thinking zombie couldn't pass itself off as simply a sick person and get into your group.

Pure instinctual biological homing weapon is easier to deal with than adaptive threat any day. Why you fail to realize this astounds me.

Look, both suck, ok? But I'd much rather face an enemy who never thinks than one who does and can learn my habits and tactics. Which is also why, in zombie stories, hostile survivors often become a much more significant threat than zombies.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

Hiding that you're really dead is going to be a problem. Most sick people are going to be shunned right proper fast in a zombie apocalypse scenario. Only the "too stupid to live" are going to "la-dee-da" that one away. I agree that both suck, but I have trained to fight against thinking enemies. I have fought against thinking enemies, I'm used to that. The unthinking ones will act in less predictable ways, because they won't do what you expect "people" to do. They're harder to plan for.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm UTC

No, they are not. I listed exactly what a mindless zombie will do when it sees you, which is head straight at you. Whereas one that can think and adapt will keep changing tactics until it finds one that works, and even worse can learn how I tend to act.

Edit: Deleted a rather rude couple of sentences I made. My apologies to Oregonaut and anyone else who read it.
Last edited by SummerGlauFan on Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Oregonaut » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Roooight. Kay. Have fun.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

The intelligent zombies would be less scary, but obviously harder to fight. If one keeps one's intelligence and only becomes homicidal towards living humans, why not just conver everyone ASAP?
Azrael001

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:50 pm UTC

Granted, they do have superpowers, but see Marvel Zombies for a reason as to why that may be bad. If there's an insatiable hunger for living people, at least.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

I guess being super hungry for a non-existant food group would be bad...
Azrael001

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

It turned out to really suck for them.

The EGE wrote:

Oregonaut

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 pm UTC

And I thought a craving for a cherry pepsi was bad when I couldn't get to the corner store...

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming