Hugh Laurie:A Real American Doctor FROM AMERICA (House M.D.)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Re: House M.D.

Postby Lazar » Tue May 18, 2010 1:01 am UTC

Spoiler:
House and Cuddy finally get together! Squee!
Exit the vampires' castle.

HarleyQuinn

Postby HarleyQuinn » Tue May 18, 2010 1:04 am UTC

Spoiler:
House and Cuddy got together.
Worst. Finale. Ever.
Magnanimous wrote:I used to be really into nostalgia a few years ago. Man, those were the days.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue May 18, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Well, that's two opinions.

Spoiler:
Wow!

This episode reminded me of Farscape, which is high praise in my mind. Extremely depressing, a lot of people die in spite of the hero's best efforts, and a long and tortured romance, yet somehow making it all work out in the end.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

-.Mateo.-

Postby -.Mateo.- » Tue May 18, 2010 5:24 am UTC

Spoiler:
I'm 99.99% sure this isn't a hallucination. But I've been hurt before. (a tiny part of me still thinks House will finally be diagnosed with schizophrenia, just like he wanted)

Also, Cuddy's "I love you" was a bit forced...but still, she HAD to say it because she said "I don't love you" before...
Magus wrote:If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.

Just as you touch the energy of every life form you meet, so, too, will will their energy strengthen you.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue May 18, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:
Spoiler:
Worst. Finale. Ever.

I actually have to agree with this one. Wtf? All these years of psychological angst and anguish and drugs and self-destruction and hatred and vitriol cured by
Spoiler:
Oh, by the way, I wuv you. Kissy kissy?

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I wasn't very happy with the ending either. I mean, if he had gone back to drugs I probably wouldn't have liked it either,because it would have essentially been like JK THIS LAST SEASON WAS A DREAM SEQUENCE. But...

I don't know, I guess next season really will be the last one.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
HarleyQuinn wrote:
Spoiler:
Worst. Finale. Ever.

I actually have to agree with this one. Wtf? All these years of psychological angst and anguish and drugs and self-destruction and hatred and vitriol cured by
Spoiler:
Oh, by the way, I wuv you. Kissy kissy?

Spoiler:
Well we don't know that he's cured - all we know is that her declaration of love got him to forego drugs at least momentarily.
Exit the vampires' castle.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Wed May 19, 2010 5:23 am UTC

HarleyQuinn wrote:
Spoiler:
Worst. Finale. Ever.

Bah, you're just jealous. (It's OK, though; I am too.)
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Now you know the difference between funny and sad.
Ubik wrote:But I'm too fond of the penis to let it go.
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Oh man. I just watched the season premiere. Ugh. What are they doing with this show? Have they forgotten why people watch it? Almost no medicine, essentially no wit in the dialogue, nothing. Not even much in the way of soap opera-like plot advancement. Wilson doing his usual amateur psychoanalysis stuff on House was by far the best part of the episode -- and that wasn't even any better than usual. It was just average, which made it shine like a diamond by comparison to the crap around it.

Spoiler:
Seriously, most of the episode was House and Cuddy lying around, having sex, taking baths, and eating breakfast. Really.

I'm kinda stunned. I still am sort of in disbelief that this was the season premiere, and I'm still waiting for the real one -- one that's actually House, not a maudlin scene of two unidentifiable characters played by Hugh Laurie and Lisa Edelstein playing hookie together.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:13 pm UTC

I'd say that it's probably fan service but I'm not even sure what that episode was.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:26 am UTC

Yeah. I'm half inclined to say that they just printed out some House fan fiction from the Internet and converted it into a screenplay, but there wasn't enough House/Wilson eroticism for that to be the case, so I don't know.

I was a little disappointed by "Help Me." It wasn't bad, but it didn't seem to meet the standard of the previous finales -- it felt like it might have been okay for a mid-season episode. It's not even that I'm against schmaltz, necessarily -- Wilson's Heart was schmaltzy, and also really good. Even after "Help Me," though, I didn't imagine this for a premiere.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:52 am UTC

broken_escalator wrote:I'd say that it's probably fan service but I'm not even sure what that episode was.

I'm pretty sure that's all it was. At least I hope. If I'm going to have to put up with any more than one episode's-worth of adorable couple stuff--from the two characters most likely to look down on that sort of behavior no less--I'll just stop watching. If this was just a fanservice episode, I'd have liked it if they had waited until sometime later in the season to do it. as a 'welcome back' to the show, it didn't compel me to watch more.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:24 am UTC

So was Chase serious about wanting to nail 13 before she left?

And will 13 be replaced with another female lead?

smw543

Postby smw543 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:27 am UTC

1. I don't see why he wouldn't have been serious.

2. It's a bit soon to assume she's gone, don't you think?
Spoiler:
gmalivuk wrote:If you didn't want people to 'mis'understand you, then you probably should have tried saying something less stupid.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:2. It's a bit soon to assume she's gone, don't you think?

In the brief flashes from future episodes they showed at the end of the premier it did look like there was a new woman accompanying them in one of the scenes. It was quick but I was pretty sure it wasn't 13.

frezik

Postby frezik » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:02 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:And will 13 be replaced with another female lead?

They changed the opening credits to remove Jennifer Morrison, but they kept Olivia Wilde. Probably she just wanted some time to do a side project.
I do not agree with the beer you drink, but will defend to the death your right to drink it

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:12 pm UTC

It doesn't matter. At this rate my Monday nights will be free again in three or four more episodes.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It doesn't matter. At this rate my Monday nights will be free again in three or four more episodes.

Ouch. I'll admit episode 2 was pretty bland (though I will agree with others that the premier would have made a decent mid-season episode), but I have faith that things will pick up. By which I mean, don't try to tell me otherwise, because I'll just stick my fingers in my ears until you go away.

At least neither were as bad as that all-Cuddy episode from last season...
Spoiler:

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

frezik wrote:

They changed the opening credits to remove Jennifer Morrison, but they kept Olivia Wilde. Probably she just wanted some time to do a side project.

...Because this is the start of the season where Cameron is officially gone. For the longest time until now, she had still been in the opening credits.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm UTC

H2SO4 wrote:
frezik wrote:

...Because this is the start of the season where Cameron is officially gone. For the longest time until now, she had still been in the opening credits.

If they were going to drop Wilde, they would have kept her off the updated credits and given her a Guest Star credit for one episode.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Wilde is doing a movie, so she's not going to be back for a while at least. Depending on how well it does she might never be back
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

smw543 wrote:At least neither were as bad as that all-Cuddy episode from last season...

That one was awesome! It was hilarious to see house asking for ridiculous things without seeing the justification

PossibleSloth

Postby PossibleSloth » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:
Spoiler:
Wilde is doing a movie, so she's not going to be back for a while at least. Depending on how well it does she might never be back

And what could be more important than a TRON sequel?

frezik

Postby frezik » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

PossibleSloth wrote:
Mo0man wrote:
Spoiler:

And what could be more important than a TRON sequel?

Vicodin, duh.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:35 am UTC

smw543 wrote:(though I will agree with others that the premier would have made a decent mid-season episode)

I can only assume you're talking about me. I actually wasn't talking about season 7, episode 1 ("Now What"). I was talking about season 6, episode 21 ("Help Me"), which, in my opinion, was underwhelming but not awful as a season finale, but would have been a decent mid-season episode. I don't think there's any context where I would have liked Now What. Your mileage may vary.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Is it just me or was today's episode not awful?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Is it just me or was today's episode not awful?

I didn't think it was either

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

I thought it wasn't awful as well.

Spoiler:
The relationship between Cuddy and House didn't completely overtake the whole episode, and the reveal of how the whole book series is a way of coping for her "killing" her son. The patient's performance was a really big part that made this a really good one though.

blu

Postby blu » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:17 am UTC

Not only wasn't it awful, it was pretty great.

Aleril wrote:
Spoiler:
The relationship between Cuddy and House didn't completely overtake the whole episode, and the reveal of how the whole book series is a way of coping for her "killing" her son. The patient's performance was a really big part that made this a really good one though.
The actress' performance was very good. I also think that the case was one of the better ones in the series.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:52 am UTC

Still,
Spoiler:
it's never lupus

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:58 pm UTC

It was good. I'm a bit surprised porphyria never made it into the differential, with the muscle weakness, pains, hallucinations, depression, seizures, light sensitivity, etc. It seemed like it would have made a good red herring -- better than pheochromocytoma, at least, which didn't have me convinced for a second. :roll:

Glad to see House back on track. It's interesting to see Sam's character developing too: one conceit of the series seems to be that Wilson attracts selfish users like nectar attracts bees (House, Tucker, Amber, and, presumably, Sam). Sam claims to have changed -- but in this series, people who claim to have changed are usually deluded. The go-kart scene brought out the cutthroat side of her. It'll be interesting to see how that develops.

Update: I'm kinda hoping the new female cottage isn't super hot. It would be interesting to take things in a new direction and have a female whose looks are more at the level of "female Taub" rather than at the "female Chase" level like Cameron and Thirteen. The previews I saw included House complimenting a woman's looks, but it would be interesting if, say, she turns out not to be suitable and they hire a different female candidate we viewers weren't expecting instead.

Link

Postby Link » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 am UTC

Hiring an excellent but non-attractive female doctor seems out of character for House. I figure he'd rather have someone good-but-not-too-good who just happens to be smoking hot. Although the Huddy dynamic could change that cliché outcome.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Huh. Well, I have to say that Link's logic actually kinda had me convinced that my speculative scenario wouldn't happen, but it actually looks like it might. Hot Female Fellow #3 didn't work out.

Kinda dull mystery this week, IMHO. Not bad, but not really as attention-grabbing as last week (although to be fair, last week's was really good).

It's kinda fun watching Chase turn into a train-wreck without the influence of Cameron's leash, though. Update: although, saying he's turning into a train-wreck may be kind of misleading, given the actual order of events for Chase's character. It seems sort of like saying "oh sure, it starts of small, with a little bit of homicide, but eventually, it progresses to -- being a slut!"

Updated: added spoiler tags.
Last edited by Idhan on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

At least he's getting in some very acute jabs on his way down.

Also, is Taub like wallpaper now, or what?

frezik

Postby frezik » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 am UTC

Working outside of her specialty is one thing, but a psychologist failing to make a schizophrenia diagnosis? Ouch.

"Meet your doppelgänger . . . eh . . . "

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:15 am UTC

frezik wrote:Working outside of her specialty is one thing, but a psychologist failing to make a schizophrenia diagnosis? Ouch.

-iatrist, not -ologist in this one. Otherwise not even Chase would have hired her.
Well, they *were* focused on the stomach, heart, fever, and puking, not thinking about if they could be side-effects of drugs she was already taking. The patient wasn't entirely cooperative.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

smw543

Postby smw543 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:38 am UTC

frezik wrote:Working outside of her specialty is one thing, but a psychologist failing to make a schizophrenia diagnosis? Ouch.

Well, she did make the jump to mental illness (which, you'll recall, is the reason House was OK with keeping her). What bugged me is that she said bipolar instead of schizophrenia, seeing as the only psych symptom was hallucinating. Any doctor would say schizophrenia first, especially since she didn't seem to have any other bipolar symptoms, and hallucinations aren't that common in bipolar disorder as it is. They had her get it almost right just to set up the whole ending, in a way that was really obvious to me. (Actually, a lot of the twists, including the final diagnosis, seemed telegraphed, but that's probably just past experiences giving me an advantage.)

That said, I liked the episode. It's always nice to see a show treat mental illness in a way that doesn't make me want to kick my TV, something I've come to expect from House (that is, House is one of the few shows that handles the subject well--when the husband asked, "What if it's too hard?" I felt like I'd been hit in the gut... in a good way, more or less).
Spoiler:

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:49 pm UTC

I hope we get to see more from House's his buddy from the Psychiatric Hospital and the psychiatrist he's seeing. I liked the first two because they give us a break from the team's dynamics.

Also, what's the status with Lucas right now? Surely he's not just going to disappear after driving an entire season's worth of drama.

smw543 wrote:That said, I liked the episode. It's always nice to see a show treat mental illness in a way that doesn't make me want to kick my TV, something I've come to expect from House (that is, House is one of the few shows that handles the subject well--when the husband asked, "What if it's too hard?" I felt like I'd been hit in the gut... in a good way, more or less).

Glad I'm not the only one that's always a bit on-edge about how shows treat psych patients.
Last edited by KrazyerKate on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

frezik

Postby frezik » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Also, what's the status with Lucas right now? Surely he's not just going to disappear after driving an entire season's worth of drama.

Yeah, that's a dangling thread. I can imagine House actually hiring Lucas for another job, with Lucas pulling some nasty prank along the way.

smw543 wrote:
frezik wrote:That said, I liked the episode. It's always nice to see a show treat mental illness in a way that doesn't make me want to kick my TV, something I've come to expect from House (that is, House is one of the few shows that handles the subject well--when the husband asked, "What if it's too hard?" I felt like I'd been hit in the gut... in a good way, more or less).

Glad I'm not the only one that's always a bit on-edge about how shows treat psych patients.

Careful with the nested quotes, there.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”