Guitar Hero

Official site news [DEPRECATED]

Moderators: Prelates, Moderators General

Guitar Hero

Postby xkcd » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:12 am UTC

I have Guitar Hero again.

I played it on my roommate's PS2 back when I was in college, but for the last few months I haven't had it. I've just had to listen to the guitar hero section of my playlist and do air-fake-guitar.

But now Jordan and Christina have picked up a PS2, and I immediately went and bought my own copy of Guitar Hero+controller. So basically don't expect me to do anything on the internet or socially pretty much ever again. Sorry.
xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby Star » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:41 pm UTC

no prob man! :D by the way is Guitar hero something like Frequency(its a musical game for the PS2)??? :roll:
Star

Postby xkcd » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:36 am UTC

Star wrote:no prob man! :D by the way is Guitar hero something like Frequency(its a musical game for the PS2)??? :roll:

It's made by the same company! General consensus seems to be that Guitar Hero is more fun, though I haven't played Frequency or Amplitude.
xkcd
Site Ninja

Postby posiduck » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:37 am UTC

amplitude is plenty awesome, but does not involve actually playing a guitar-like thing, so is a very different experience.
blistering guitar solo
posiduck

Postby Star » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:20 pm UTC

yeah,but still it ownZ! :D
Star

Postby Backlash » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:09 pm UTC

Just 2 more months until Guitar Hero 2! The song list is looking pretty sweet thus far.
Backlash

Postby Star » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:42 pm UTC

well post it! :P
Star

Postby Backlash » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 pm UTC

Release Dates
Guitar Hero II (w/ Guitar)................11-7-2006 PlayStation 2 US
Guitar Hero II................................11-7-2006 PlayStation 2 US

Confirmed Songs
Main Songs:
"Freebird" By Lynyrd Skynyrd (Cover)
"Sweet Child O' Mine" By Guns N' Roses (Cover)
"Shout At The Devil" By Motley Crue (Cover)
"Madhouse" By Anthrax (Cover)
"Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart" By Stone Temple Pilots (Cover)
"John the Fisherman" by Primus (Original)
"Psychobilly Freakout" by Reverend Horton Heat (Cover)
"Strutter" by KISS (Cover)
"War Pigs" by Black Sabbath (Cover)
"Who Was in My Room Last Night?" by Butthole Surfers (Cover)
"You Really Got Me" by Van Halen (Cover)
"YYZ" by Rush (Cover)

Bonus Tracks:
"Arterial Black" by Drist (Original)

Rumors and Pure Speculation
-"Killing In The Name Of" By Rage Against The Machine. In the latest Official Playstation Magazine (Sept 06) on page 26 it talks about Raul Renteria, a QA tester who is very good at the game. "To prove this, Renteria played Rage Against the Machine's 'Killing in the Name' on Expert with his back to the screen, racking up a near perfect score."
Link: http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default ... t=4142&p=4

-"The New Black" By Every Time I Die. During their performance at the Vans Warped tour Keith Buckley, vocalist for the band, stated that their song "The New Black" would be featured in Guitar Hero 2.
Link: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/716/716477p1.html

-A song by DragonForce. When a band is documented playing Guitar Hero, speculation is bound to arise. Much like Danny Carey from Tool, and The Darkness, the two guitarists for power metal band "Dragonforce" were spotted playing Guitar Hero. DragonForce is a much requested band for Guitar Hero II, and one must conclude that the thought enters the band's minds that they could possibly appear in a sequel to the game that they are playing.
Link: http://video.ugo.com/player.aspx?articleID=18924

-A song by Tenacious D. "An official list of new music tracks hasn't been released yet, but PSM was told that we shouldn't be surprised to see some Tenacious D in the game."
Link: http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default ... sts&t=3527 Original info is in PSM.

-A song by Buckethead. Last year, Marcus Henderon said the following quote: "Without going too much into detail, i'll just say this. Buckethead is very much in our plans for GH2. How? who knows... Where? you'll find out... Why? Cuz he's Buckethead. period."
Link: http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default ... osts&t=546

-A song by Descendents. Marcus Henderson, who recorded songs in both games is also on the song choice committee for Guitar Hero II, he stated in an interview that he has "been in dialogue with Bill Stevenson, their legendary drummer, and I totally want to get them in the game". So we will see what comes out of that. Descendants are an influential early Punk Rock band.
Link: http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/gu ... 854p1.html

-A song by Tool - MTV.com stated that Tool are "in talks to be featured in the forthcoming "Guitar Hero 2" video game".
Link: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/153158 ... tool.jhtml
EDIT: I have confirmed with RedOctane that Tool and RedOctane have spoken regarding having a song in the game. Nothing has been decided as of 5/18/06.

-"Wasted Years" by Iron Maiden
Marcus Henderson said the following line, though, it's worded largely rhetorical: "I LOVE MAIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my favorite bands ever. How would you guys feel about Wasted Years in GH2?"
Link: http://forum.guitarherogame.com/Default ... osts&t=603

-"For Those About To Rock" by AC/DC - RedOctane issued a press release for Guitar Hero II, and the title of the release is "For Those About to Rock With Guitar Hero II, We Salute You! RedOctane Announces Fall US Tour Date" Of course, the first sentence of the title are lyrics and the name of a song by AC/DC. The song has not been confirmed, but it seems odd to make such a possible hint if it was unfounded.
Link: http://www.redoctanegames.com/2_press/v ... ounce.html
Backlash

Postby DarthCat » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:08 pm UTC

Recent rumors have held that Drist may or may not be back, but other than that, I'm ready to ROCK OUT! If you haven't heard of it already and you happen to own a copy of GH, go over to http://www.scorehero.com. You can register scores and see how you compare to some of the best players in the world for each difficulty level (I'm 95th on expert level)!
DarthCat

Postby Backlash » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:07 pm UTC

Some more confirmed songs:

"Can't You Hear Me Knocking" By The Rolling Stones (Cover)
"Them Bones" By Alice In Chains (Cover)
"Laid To Rest" By Lamb Of God (Cover)
"Misirlou" By Dick Dale (Cover)
"Beast And The Harlot" By Avenged Sevenfold (Cover)
"Jessica" By Allman Brothers Band (Cover)
"Crazy On You" By Heart (Cover)
"Tonight Im Gonna Rock You Tonight" By Spinal Tap (Cover)
"Tattoed Love Boys" By The Pretenders (Cover)
"Message In A Bottle" By The Police (Cover)
"The New Black" By Every Time I Die (Cover)
"Killing In The Name" By Rage Against The Machine (Cover)
"Surrender" By Cheap Trick (Cover)
"Heart Shaped Box" By Nirvana (Cover)
Backlash

Postby Umlaut » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:31 pm UTC

My roommate got Guitar Hero and two guitars....

It turns out that awesome.
Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Postby gonzophysicist » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:16 pm UTC

Backlash wrote:Confirmed Songs
Main Songs:

Will you be expexted to play all four parts at once?
"Even so you will see that when a drunken man is not leaning against a wall or lamppost, he feels that his only chance of escape from ignominious collapse is get up a decent rate of speed, to obtain a quasi-sobriety of demeanour by rapidity of motion."
gonzophysicist

Postby zombiereagan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:36 pm UTC

gonzophysicist wrote:
Backlash wrote:Confirmed Songs
Main Songs:

Will you be expexted to play all four parts at once?

odds are the rhythm and slide parts will be part of the backround music and you'll just be expected to play the twin leads or just one of the leads depending on how many people you have.
whatever doesn't kill you only serves to horribly maim you.Image
zombiereagan

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:37 am UTC

The first one was awesome and deserves some sort of awesomeness award, but... There's a part of me that wishes to do more than bust out rock-god awesomeness. Something fun... Something whimsical...

...The Katamari Damashii theme.

Or better yet, an external tool that converts Guitar riffs into controller movements, so that I can play fighting games while rockin' out. And singing.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?
EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Eh...

Postby shawnstruck » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:25 pm UTC

... what I wonder is why they don't have anything from SIlent HIll, as that's a Konami Property. I would SO rock out to Promise.

It's not like it's unprecedented; "Snake Eater" is an unlockable in Karaoke Revolutiion 3.
shawnstruck

Postby Backlash » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:51 am UTC

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu wrote:The first one was awesome and deserves some sort of awesomeness award, but... There's a part of me that wishes to do more than bust out rock-god awesomeness. Something fun... Something whimsical...

...The Katamari Damashii theme.

Or better yet, an external tool that converts Guitar riffs into controller movements, so that I can play fighting games while rockin' out. And singing.

You can at least drum along to the Katamari theme in Taiko Drum Master :)
Backlash

Postby BioSehnsucht » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:11 am UTC

EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu wrote:Or better yet, an external tool that converts Guitar riffs into controller movements, so that I can play fighting games while rockin' out. And singing.

if you could combine the Guitar + Wiimote you would have a "realistic" Macross 7 Fire Valkyrie control system (see http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/vf19kai.shtml, "GUITAR-STICK CONTROL SYSTEM"). Rock out and kick ass at the same time!
BioSehnsucht

Postby EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:01 am UTC

BioSehnsucht wrote:
EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu wrote:Or better yet, an external tool that converts Guitar riffs into controller movements, so that I can play fighting games while rockin' out. And singing.

if you could combine the Guitar + Wiimote you would have a "realistic" Macross 7 Fire Valkyrie control system (see http://www.steelfalcon.com/Macross/vf19kai.shtml, "GUITAR-STICK CONTROL SYSTEM"). Rock out and kick ass at the same time!

Yeah, this is what I had in mind too... Now if only there were a way to attach a mic to it. Then I could kick ass while badly mangling HOLY LONELY LIGHT at the top of my lungs...

Oh, and this is why I suggested Katamari Damacy in the first place... http://humaninbox.blogspot.com/2005/11/ ... -rock.html
It should still be up, and if not... well, what can I say? You've all missed out on pure awesomeness.
When you have at your disposal a hammer made of three spacefaring battleships, do you still need to pay taxes?
EM-002.rv-L "Tem Cu

Postby Binary.Tobis » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:04 pm UTC

Tried guitar hero a few days ago. Apparently I suck really bad. :P But now when I hear songs I see colors.
"A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday, but never remembers her age."
Binary.Tobis

Postby umbrae » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 pm UTC

umbrae

Postby Backlash » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:44 pm UTC

And the complete list (according to IGN):

1. Opening Licks
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Danzig - Mother
Cheap Trick - Surrender
Wolfmother - Woman
Spinal Tap - Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight

2. Amp-Warmers
Kiss - Strutter
Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box
Police - Message in a Bottle
Van Halen - You Really Got Me
Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

3. String-Snappers
Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Alice in Chains - Them Bones
Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
Pretenders - Tattooed Love Boys
Black Sabbath - War Pigs

4. Thrash and Burn
Warrant - Cherry Pie
Butthole Surfers - Who Was in My Room Last Night
Mathew Sweet - Girlfriend
Rolling Stones - Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

5. Return of the Shred
Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name Of
Primus - John the Fisherman
Sword - Freya
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
Aerosmtih - Last Child

6. Relentless Riffs
Heart - Crazy on You
Stone Temple Pilots - Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart
Stray Cats - Rock This Town
Allman Brothers - Jessica
Jane's Addiction - Stop

7. Furious Fretwork
Anthrax - Madhouse
Living End - Carry Me Home
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Reverend Horton Heat - Psychobilly Freakout
Rush - YYZ

8. Face-Melters
Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized
Dick Dale - Misirlou
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
Backlash

Postby Hawknc » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:40 am UTC

I'd buy this just to jam to Wolfmother's Woman.
Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Return to News