Cocktails

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Cocktails

Postby dubsola » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Rum and coke can be a delicious drink, and this is someone who enjoys rum by itself.

Speaking of which, I bought a bottle (duty free! only 16 bucks!) of Gosling's Black Seal for the purpose of Dark & Stormys, I had an extremely tasty one once using two shots of that rum, a lime, and a splash of ginger ale. I attempted to make one last night and it wasn't as nice, but I didn't measure the rum and just used cheap ginger ale.
dubsola

Postby rrwoods » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

dubsola wrote:Rum and coke can be a delicious drink, and this is someone who enjoys rum by itself.

Speaking of which, I bought a bottle (duty free! only 16 bucks!) of Gosling's Black Seal for the purpose of Dark & Stormys, I had an extremely tasty one once using two shots of that rum, a lime, and a splash of ginger ale. I attempted to make one last night and it wasn't as nice, but I didn't measure the rum and just used cheap ginger ale.

Stewart's ginger beer makes these absolutely divine. Equal parts.
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't know what ginger ale is like in the UK, but on this side of the pond most ginger ale doesn't really have any ginger flavor. Ginger beer is where it's at.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:41 pm UTC

Ginger ale is for when you want to taste more of the liquor's flavour.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby Azrael » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:53 pm UTC

Schweppes is acceptable with lime and a medium-dark rum, even as far as a Demerara, up to about a 50-50 mix. Most non-generic ginger-ales will provide some improvement in the quality. But with Gosling (or Blackstrap, or ...) you really need that bite from Ginger beer to cut through the molasses taste. Although you can cut back on the soda significantly.
Azrael
Unintentionally Intoxicated

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:51 am UTC

Well, and the Dark 'n' Stormy is meant to have a strong ginger flavor. It's the complementary blend of several flavors that's the goal of this particular drink, which to me feels distinct from the "X and Y" formula of, for example, rum and coke.

I don't feel like a drink made with a less-than-fully-dark rum is even a true Dark 'n' Stormy, to be honest. After all, the name not only implies what it is, but also how it's prepared. Then again, opinions! We've all got 'em.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Azrael » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I don't feel like a drink made with a less-than-fully-dark rum is even a true Dark 'n' Stormy, to be honest.

Nope, it's not. Doesn't mean it isn't good, though.
Azrael

Postby dubsola » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:43 am UTC

I tried it again with Fentimans, an absolutely delicious ginger beer. This time I think I put too much ginger beer in - it was much improved, but a little too gingery. I'll get there!
dubsola

Postby charolastra » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:23 pm UTC

I could live on Pimm's Cups, or the various incarnations that occur with my lack of materials. It's Pimm's (a flavored gin- and I hate gin typically) with European lemonade (clear and carbonated versus syrupy) and some chopped up fruit and cucumbers. Typically I mix it up a bit with some ginger ale, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a hit of muddled mint.

My bar go-tos if I'm not drinking beer are Tom Collins- particularly with sweet tea vodka, Long Island Iced Tea, and jack and coke.
charolastra

Postby Azrael » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

charolastra wrote:My bar go-tos if I'm not drinking beer are Tom Collins- particularly with sweet tea vodka...
How could it possibly still be a Tom Collins if you're swapped out the gin with sweet tea vodka? That's an alcoholic Arnold Palmer.
Azrael

Postby charolastra » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:36 am UTC

Azrael wrote:
charolastra wrote:My bar go-tos if I'm not drinking beer are Tom Collins- particularly with sweet tea vodka...
How could it possibly still be a Tom Collins if you're swapped out the gin with sweet tea vodka? That's an alcoholic Arnold Palmer.

Err.. meant an Arnold Palmer. I hate cocktails named after people.
charolastra

Postby Rackum » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Azrael wrote:

A John Daly, perhaps? Hehe.
Rackum

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:29 am UTC

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, GOLF JOKES, ON THE XKCD FORUM

PLEASE REMAIN CALM

OR AT LEAST, APPLAUD VERY CALMLY
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Rackum wrote:
Azrael wrote:How could it possibly still be a Tom Collins if you're swapped out the gin with sweet tea vodka? That's an alcoholic Arnold Palmer.

A John Daly, perhaps? Hehe.

Yes, actually. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Daly_(drink)

[Edit: Dammit, could have sworn there was no reference to the drink in that first wiki link. :roll: :lol:]
Last edited by TheSkyMovesSideways on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I had all kinds of plans in case of a zombie attack.
I just figured I'd be on the other side.
~ASW
TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

And this is where I laugh at just how poorly you read the previous link.
Azrael

Postby lewismd » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:07 am UTC

Most of the time I'm pretty boring and drink Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, or Gin and Tonics. So nothing fun there. Hearkening back to college, though, here's an excellent dessert cocktail, a variation on a white russian:

3 parts vanilla vodka
2 parts kahlua
1 part frangelico
top with cream

If you're feeling adventurous, shake it, strain into a glass, and drizzle some Chambord on top for a dash of fruit flavor. Very much a dessert cocktail, and very filling.
lewismd

Postby CHL » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:40 am UTC

I've always been fond of sour cocktails, myself; in fact, I'm working on my second brandy daisy as I write this.

One of my friends had a tradition of coming up with bizarre cocktail recipes and naming them after "three-name" celebrities. For some reason, it's more fun to drink something when it's named after Michael J. Fox or Sandra Day O'Connor.

I'll see if I can't bother him for the Jennifer Love Hewitt recipe again, as I remember it being quite tasty.
CHL

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

That makes me want to invent a cocktail named the Major Major Major Major.

I'm not sure exactly how I'd name the non-alcoholic kiddie version... Minor's Major Major Major Major? Or perhaps just the Minor Minor Minor Minor.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby lewismd » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:03 am UTC

I think a Major Major Major Major would have to be something like:

1 part whiskey
1 part whiskey
1 part whiskey
1 part whiskey

Serve on the rocks. :P
lewismd

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:06 am UTC

I'm not sure Major Major Major Major would have the spine for straight whiskey.

Part of the preparation needs to involve throwing something out the window.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:48 am UTC

How about:

1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.
bigglesworth

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:29 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:I'm not sure Major Major Major Major would have the spine for straight whiskey.

Part of the preparation needs to involve throwing something out the window.

Funny you should mention that. I had to look up Major Major Major Major on Wikipedia, which resulted in Catch-22 being added to my reading list, and afterwords I came up with what I thought the Major Major Major Major cocktail would be.

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, 0.5 ounces sweet vermouth (15 mL), and two dashes of orange bitters.
Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
Pour down the drain.
Take shots of single malt Scotch until drunk.
Repeat needlessly.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!
Mr. Mack

Postby Belial » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:How about:

1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely
1 part whisky
Drink leisurely

addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Dark567 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 pm UTC

I prefer the Churchill martini.

1. Get some cold gin and vermouth.
2. Pour gin into cocktail glass.
3. While staring at vermouth, drink martini
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby lewismd » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:53 am UTC

I always thought it was "bow to France" for the vermouth...
lewismd

Postby Ulc » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:08 am UTC

lewismd wrote:I always thought it was "bow to France" for the vermouth...

There are a number of different methods for adding the vermouth, some prefer to let the suns rays shine through the vermouth and down on the gin, others prefer to stare intently at the vermouth, some bow to France.

Personally I'm in the "think really hard about the vermouth while drinking the gin" camp - even if I occasionally add it in a 1-5 amount to the gin.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle

A White Russian, shades and a bathrobe, what more can you want from life?
Ulc

Postby lewismd » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

As I enjoy this Old Fashioned made with Rittenhouse 100, it occurs to me that this may be the absolute peak of cocktail perfection. So simple. So good.

On a different note, and more relevant to the current topic, Churchillian jokes aside, I don't really know that I can get behind calling a glass of cold gin a "martini". I mean, at least a drop of vermouth needs to be there. Otherwise it's just gin.
lewismd

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Ah, but is it a martini if it's gin with an olive?
bigglesworth

Postby Dark567 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Ah, but is it a martini if it's gin with an olive?
Is it in a Cocktail glass?

Because thats really all gin needs to be considered a martini.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:17 pm UTC

Someone on INTERNET! said it was reasonable to make an aviation with Magellan instead of gin + creme de violette, because of its iris infusion. Thoughts? We can't find creme de violette aaaanywhere; the best the BevMo had to offer was creme yvette but 1) it was pretty expensive, and 2) it's supposed to be pretty different even if it was traditionally an acceptable substitute, so maybe we wouldn't even like it?

We did get a little 50 ml bottle of Domaine de Canton ginger liqueur to try. I feel like I could do better by making my own ginger-infused vodka, as the Canton had a bit of a sickly flavor and not quite enough bite. It wasn't terrible with Tanqueray, but it tended to sink to the bottom which made for an interesting but not entirely welcome journey from gin to something decent to something gross.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby lewismd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

BevMo doesn't carryR&W Creme de Violette? I find that hard to believe. It's in the nicer liquor stores up here in the frozen north, and we don't have the equivalent of BevMo, which I understand is like the Mecca of liquor stores out there. Perhaps try other specialty/high-end liquor stores? It seems to be pretty widely available, from what I've seen.
lewismd

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

...so, according to Wikipedia, your metro area contains over 3,000,000 people in 6,364 square miles. My county contains under 50,000 people in 6,347 square miles. Re-evaluate your definition of "widely available" in that context, maybe.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby PictureSarah » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Yeah, we had to drive an hour and 15 minutes to get the BevMo, and it's really the only liquor store with an extensive selection of *anything* that we've found in this area. Also, there isn't a lot of call for specialty cocktail ingredients in this area, so even the well stocked liquor stores aren't too inclined to carry it.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby CleverNamePending » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:04 pm UTC

I have a drink I make called "Girls Night In" which is Bailys, Kaluha, Chocolate milk, chocolate ice cream, then garnished with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

I have primarily male friends so I don't get a lot of excuses to make them. D=
CleverNamePending

Postby lewismd » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Other than college, I've never lived outside a major metro area, so my mindset is kind of stuck there. But I really am surprised that BevMo wouldn't carry it. Binny's, the Chicago equivalent, does. But you are correct, outside of a major metro, I assume it's quite a bit harder to find things like Creme de Violette.
lewismd

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

My GF just made the perfect White Russian. But I'm working and so can only have a sip! D:
bigglesworth

Postby Belial » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:52 am UTC

CleverNamePending wrote:I have a drink I make called "Girls Night In" which is Bailys, Kaluha, Chocolate milk, chocolate ice cream, then garnished with whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

I have primarily male friends so I don't get a lot of excuses to make them. D=

I have the dangly genitalia, and I would drink the hell out of that.

It's basically just a mudslide milkshake without the vodka, though.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.
Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:15 am UTC

Each BevMo is not stocked identically, either. This one is in a city, sure, but the surrounding area is relatively rural and it's a newly-opened store. They might be playing it safe until they get a feel for the demand?

I don't remember whether we found Creme de Violette at the BevMo in silicon valley when we were down there last. I think we did not. But I was mostly preoccupied with the one bottle of a'bunadh someone had hidden way in the back of the locked case...

There are a few nicer resorts in the area, it seems as though they must have fancy cocktail ingredients in stock. I wonder where they get them? I suppose it's possible they make the trip to Sacramento or something like that every now and then, get everything they need at once.
Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby dubsola » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

Belial wrote:I have the dangly genitalia, and I would drink the hell out of that.

Me too, sounds delish.
dubsola

Postby lewismd » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:There are a few nicer resorts in the area, it seems as though they must have fancy cocktail ingredients in stock. I wonder where they get them? I suppose it's possible they make the trip to Sacramento or something like that every now and then, get everything they need at once.

Most of them probably get their booze from wholesalers. Indeed, in many states it's illegal to buy booze from anywhere BUT a wholesaler, if you're a bar/restaurant. That wouldn't help you much.
lewismd

PreviousNext

Return to Food