Tonight's South Park...(Merged Scott Tenorman)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Tonight's South Park...(Merged Scott Tenorman)

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Randy Marsh wrote:N-no, it wasn't me. That was a spooky ghost!

image very NSFW:
Spoiler:
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."
GonzoMcFonzo

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

Re: The ending of the Internet episode.
Spoiler:
He didn't plug it back in.. it was plugged in the whole time. He unplugged it and plugged it back in. While this goes by a variety of various terms (my company refers to it as a power cycle) the basic idea is the same as rebooting a computer. Something gets so screwed up that you just need to kill power and have the system bring itself back up and see if that resolves the issue... memory leak or whatever
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Jessica » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:52 pm UTC

I liked the episode. I thought it was funny that they were trying all of these rituals to "fix the internet" and all it took was the power cycle to fix. But, really, it's just another ritual that people do, as most people aren't really sure why their internet goes down, and unplugging/plugging it back in seems to work.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:06 pm UTC

I thought the most recent one was rubbish, not very funny and some broad, obvious point about how strict adherence to The Rules is retarded. A pretty half-arsed episode all in all.
CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon May 05, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Which one was this again?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Tue May 06, 2008 6:16 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Which one was this again?

The last one played in the states, think it's called Super Fun Time. The school go to one of those educational frontier-town type things.
CHeMnISTe BOY

South Park

Postby kallios » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:20 am UTC

I think it's safe to say at least one of the South Park writers is a big fan of XKCD.
kallios

Re: South Park

Postby Robstickle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 pm UTC

kallios wrote:I think it's safe to say at least one of the South Park writers is a big fan of XKCD.

Morgan Freeman has been narrating things in that comforting voice for a long time, I don't think you can attribute that to XKCD.
Robstickle

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:53 pm UTC

I thought you were claiming the book was some XKCD reference. Wow, that's a pretty loosely supported claim to drag up a 2 year old thread. It, uh, was merge'd in. -ST
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby Dasboard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Here, in the Netherlands they're making a Southpark show with real people. ( might also be in other parts of planet earth but not sure )

Honestly, what the hell are they thinking?
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...
Dasboard

Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:Honestly, what the heckity-eck are they thinking?

"I like money!"
~ It's been 70 years. You're not a neo-Nazi... you're a fucking asshole. ~
RealGrouchy wrote:Can't talk now. Fucking.
Sprocket wrote:This? This is my dick. It's delicious.
Mighty Jalapeno
What does the FOX say?

Postby Dasboard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Good point.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...
Dasboard

Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Robstickle » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I thought you were claiming the book was some XKCD reference. Wow, that's a pretty loosely supported claim to drag up a 2 year old thread.

Well we are two weeks into the new series so acceptable necro I think.

More to the point.

Catcher in the Rye was banned? Goddammit America :roll:
Robstickle

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 pm UTC

They ban lots of books from local libraries. Then they get sued, then they get public funding taken away, then they unban the book and the cycle continues.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.
mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Please, please, please, can we have a giant Muhammad mecha fighting Barbra Streisand?

Or at least have Eric Cartman be the son of Jesus or something?
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby sje46 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:29 pm UTC

Last night's episode (201) [note: this thread seems to have a bad history of not stating what episode you're talking about) was a lot better than 200. They did a great job of mixing previous episodes up, making things cohere. The bleeping, btw, was put in by Comedy Central, NOT south park. Except the "I learned something today" monologue, which was probably the show.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby Zorlin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 am UTC

http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3878

"In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it."
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.
Zorlin

Postby Maple_fish » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:23 am UTC

Thank Eff they didn't blank out Muhammed's name in episode 200 too, else I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on! The bleeping in the 'I learned something' dialogues must have been a joke, deeply ironic given how much post-submission bleeping was done by Comedy Central. Is there an official reason for the censoring, or was it a spur of the moment decision by CC?
Maple_fish

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Well, I didn't get my absurd wishes, but I still want to give some props: South Park is the only show on TV willing to treat terrorism as it should be treated.
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby Ivora » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I kinda thought that Muhammad was Cartman's dad.

What a twist!?

But no... its the Denver broncos. :roll:
Ivora

Postby Kimmo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:05 am UTC

I enjoyed It's a Jersey Thing much more than Poor and Stupid, which I found a little flat...

Spoiler:
The Al-Qaeda angle was gold : D
Kimmo

Postby Dark567 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 am UTC

Kimmo wrote:
Spoiler:

Surprisingly, I found that as the single most offensive moment in South Park history. I mean they have done a lot to offend, but allying ourselves with ..... yeah, I found it funny, but I may have finally seen why so many people find the show so offensive.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby sje46 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:42 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Kimmo wrote:
Spoiler:

Surprisingly, I found that as the single most offensive moment in South Park history. I mean they have done a lot to offend, but allying ourselves with ..... yeah, I found it funny, but I may have finally seen why so many people find the show so offensive.

Really? Uhh...September 11 happened 9 years ago...most people wouldn't blink an eye at an Al Qaeda joke anymore. I wouldn't go around telling 9/11 jokes in New York City, but for the most part...I think South Park has been more offensive than that.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm UTC

Indeed. Woodland Critter Christmas is way more offensive. And hilarious.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Microscopic cog » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:15 pm UTC

The critters are genius. What do you guys think is the most offensive episode from Southpark?

I think I'm going for the Christmas Critters and the Antichrist episode.

Edit: Hey guys, this is my 42st post. I think I'm going to stop posting now.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.
Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Midnight » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

South Park is especially entertaining for my family because Randy Marsh is exactly like my father... but more ridiculous. They're both dark-haired, mustachioed geologists who are totally nerdy. The resemblance is eerie.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby Dark567 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:27 am UTC

The Christmas critters is pretty bad. I remember one of the ones with Pope Benedict also being pretty offensive. I guess if you were Tom Cruise, Paris Hilton, or Barbra Streisand there were probably some particular episodes that would be more offensive to you.

Yeah, I am not sure why I thought that episode was so offensive, but I definitely did.(Not that I particularly care about offensiveness, with my "fuck it all" attitude toward everything) Maybe I am just getting older and starting to take offense to things?

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?
Dark567

Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

I would have probably been more bothered with it if they'd shown up with guns and bombs and shot the New Jersians and had a few suicide bombings and so forth. That they showed up in a formation of 747s and proceeded to fly directly into the groups of New Jersians just made it so over the top as to completely remove any offense I would have had.

Then again, I probably wouldn't have been bothered in the first place, just thought they'd have taken the easy way.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Kimmo » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:58 am UTC

I don't wanna sound condescending, but I can't help feeling that if Matt & Trey offend you, you're probably somehow missing the point...

They mostly tear things down, often with a poetic flair that incontrovertibly nails some aspect of human idiocy, and I'd say they do in an accurately justified manner the vast majority of the time. They rarely stand up for much (aside from using a bit of intelligence), so there's not much opportunity to take issue with their stance if you approve of fearless and savage satire... but I gather they're close to the edge of the scale on libertarianism. I have a different view, but I don't often find myself opposed to anything they have to say.

I'd hazard a guess that those who like to employ a utilitarian perspective to evaluate stuff are likely to feel that South Park is close to above reproach on ethical criteria... there's sometimes a quite deep or subtle bit of reasoning required to see a point many miss, and it totally favours an empirical approach to an emotive one. The Al-Qaeda bit isn't a bad example; when I watched it again, I thought a bit more about that line about the victim's relatives' feelings mattering for another ten months dammit, and what with the cute and snappy execution of Bin Laden in the final three seconds, in addition to the history of South Park's portrayal of Bin Laden, I think it's clear Matt & Trey respect the feelings of 9/11 victims' families, and are making a comment about expediency and moral ambiguity.
Kimmo

Postby Dark567 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Kimmo wrote:I don't wanna sound condescending, but I can't help feeling that if Matt & Trey offend you, you're probably somehow missing the point...

They mostly tear things down, often with a poetic flair that incontrovertibly nails some aspect of human idiocy, and I'd say they do in an accurately justified manner the vast majority of the time. They rarely stand up for much (aside from using a bit of intelligence), so there's not much opportunity to take issue with their stance if you approve of fearless and savage satire... but I gather they're close to the edge of the scale on libertarianism. I have a different view, but I don't often find myself opposed to anything they have to say.

I'd hazard a guess that those who like to employ a utilitarian perspective to evaluate stuff are likely to feel that South Park is close to above reproach on ethical criteria... there's sometimes a quite deep or subtle bit of reasoning required to see a point many miss, and it totally favours an empirical approach to an emotive one. The Al-Qaeda bit isn't a bad example; when I watched it again, I thought a bit more about that line about the victim's relatives' feelings mattering for another ten months dammit, and what with the cute and snappy execution of Bin Laden in the final three seconds, in addition to the history of South Park's portrayal of Bin Laden, I think it's clear Matt & Trey respect the feelings of 9/11 victims' families, and are making a comment about expediency and moral ambiguity.

I don't disagree with any of this. And I have not been offended by anything in south park, ever. When I said I thought it was offensive, I meant I felt it was offensive to a lot of other people, not to me. I just laughed at it.

Dark567

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 am UTC

1) "Hail the dark Cthulhu, long may he reign."

2) When drilling into the moon, there is but one thing to say (and Matt and Trey didn't say it): my drill is... my drill is... THE DRILL THAT'S GONNA PIERCE THE HEAVENS!!!!!
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby Kimmo » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:20 am UTC

I found Coon 2 a strapping return to form : D
Kimmo

Postby Zorlin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:03 am UTC

holy fucking hell, this episode was fantastic.

Spoiler:
we to'lly find out who mysterion is! and it totally fucks over the canon, but fuck the canon! it's South Park! Also, Cartman riding Cthulhu was a really nice touch.

MINTBERRY CRUUUUUNCH.
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.
Zorlin

Postby Kimmo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:37 am UTC

Is it a three-parter? Looks it...

Spoiler:
Mysterion fucking rocks. I'm not sure how his super power breaks the canon; seems to me like now it's not broken any more.

Just watched Coon 2 again in preparation for Mysterion Rises, and noticed what seems to be a Clockwork Orange-flavoured couple of shots...

I don't know my classical tunes, so I can't name the piece that was playing, but it was pretty reminiscent IIRC...
Kimmo

Postby the_bandersnatch » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 pm UTC

Kimmo wrote:Is it a three-parter? Looks it...

Spoiler:
Mysterion fucking rocks. I'm not sure how his super power breaks the canon; seems to me like now it's not broken any more.

Just watched Coon 2 again in preparation for Mysterion Rises, and noticed what seems to be a Clockwork Orange-flavoured couple of shots...

I don't know my classical tunes, so I can't name the piece that was playing, but it was pretty reminiscent IIRC...

Spoiler:
No question about it, that scene is definitely taken from A Clockwork Orange, note even the follow-up scene where they're all sitting quietly and the Cartman is trying to keep the conversation alive, just like Alex in the milk bar. And pretty funny it all is too.

Anyway, yeah the latest episode was great, the Mysterion thing is brilliant, and pretty imaginative too.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.

Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby SheriffPony » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

Kimmo wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It's La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie) by Gioachino Rossini: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_gazza_ladra
SheriffPony

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:40 am UTC

I want more Mysterion.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Kimmo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:59 pm UTC

Mysterion fucking rocks.
Spoiler:
But now Kenny does too, just as hard : D

Pissed myself at Mintberry Crunch stealing Mysterion's thunder; typical Matt & Trey : )

Broken canons got a mention earlier; I heard it shatter when Cartman admitted he'd decided to 'keep being a dick'... I thought he was the master of self-delusion.

Damn, the Totoro scene was piss-funny : D

SheriffPony wrote:
Kimmo wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
It's La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie) by Gioachino Rossini: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_gazza_ladra

Fun fact: that number was referenced in the Tintin story The Castafiore Emerald; the emerald in question was pinched by a magpie.

Spoiler:
Also, now I want a Mysterion t-shirt to complement my 'many deaths of Kenny' one
Kimmo

Postby legopelle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

ok, what's up with the last episode? (s15e07)

Its the most vile and obscene episode by far, but also easily one of the most brilliant and even most sad.
The
Spoiler:
shit jokes

Went from dull to brilliant petty quickly when you realized what they meant. So spot on the generations debate.

But now I'm actually worried, will the show end?
Spoiler:
seriously, the whole episode showed the writers contempt over the culture and themselves
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?
legopelle

Postby Dark567 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:ok, what's up with the last episode? (s15e07)
I haven't seen last nights episode yet, but in generally I have been pretty disappointed in this season. The last few seasons of South Park have been pretty good, but this one is pretty forgettable(the only really good episode so far has been HumanCentiPad)

Dark567

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows