Math Software

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: Math Software

Postby Mike_Bson » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:12 am UTC

I think the Wolfram Demonstrations Project is worth mentioning, if it hasn't been so already.
Mike_Bson

Postby Voxel » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:23 am UTC

Graphmatica is perfect.

It graphs anything from simple y = mx+b to calculus, including inequalities, etc.
Voxel

Postby GarryRicketson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:06 am UTC

There is some pretty good math software on the sourceforge net, sorry I can not put the
link in, as they say thats against the rules, but just google sourceforge, the search for
math programs. It is mostly free and developeing software.
from Garry
GarryRicketson

Re: Can't find good math software

Postby 03abby29 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:11 am UTC

Guillotine wrote:JKGraph (obtainable at http://homepage.smc.edu/kennedy_john/ABSTRACTS.HTM ) is an awesome graphing program.

Theres also quite a few other cool programs there (Turing simulator FTW)

I'll try this one...Thanks for sharing...
03abby29

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

Does anyone know a good free program for making box plots without having to go through all the twerking that is apparenltly needed for excel? I can't seem to get it to work on open office, but maybe I'm missing an extension??

Thanks
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Dason » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Does anyone know a good free program for making box plots without having to go through all the twerking that is apparenltly needed for excel? I can't seem to get it to work on open office, but maybe I'm missing an extension??

Thanks

R is great for making graphs of data. It's a full statistical package too so if you want to do any modeling or data manipulation it's great for that too. I'm guessing gnuplot could do it easily too but I've never used it (just heard good things about it).
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby Angua » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

I'm having trouble with R on my boyfriend's mac (this is for him). I have managed to get gnumeric to work well, but only on my vista :P He's just going to have to borrow my computer for this I guess.

Thanks
“When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.” - Mark Twain
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

The aforementioned Scipy/Numpy/Matplotlib ought to be handy too.
Jorpho

Postby Dason » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I'm having trouble with R on my boyfriend's mac (this is for him). I have managed to get gnumeric to work well, but only on my vista :P He's just going to have to borrow my computer for this I guess.

Thanks

What exactly was giving you issues? Would it not load or was it that you just didn't know how to do anything in it?
double epsilon = -.0000001;
Dason

Postby Angua » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

It was that we couldn't figure out how to use it - couldn't get the file to open in it. I could have probably worked it out after a while, but I think it will be easier to get an emulator and run gnumeric with that.
Angua
Don't call her Delphine

Postby lamemaar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Would this be any good for visualizing a function z = f(x, y)?
http://home.kpn.nl/ammeraal/function/func3.html
Note that the user can easily change the viewpoint.
Since I wrote this myself, I would appreciate any comments that may lead to improvements.
lamemaar

Postby nehpest » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 am UTC

lamemaar wrote:Would this be any good for visualizing a function z = f(x, y)?
http://home.kpn.nl/ammeraal/function/func3.html
Note that the user can easily change the viewpoint.
Since I wrote this myself, I would appreciate any comments that may lead to improvements.

I get "syntax error at start" whenever I try to use the exp() function as part of the input.
Kewangji wrote:Someone told me I need to stop being so arrogant. Like I'd care about their plebeian opinions.

blag
nehpest

Postby lamemaar » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 am UTC

nehpest wrote:I get "syntax error at start" whenever I try to use the exp() function as part of the input.

Thank you. There was an error in my code (due to confusion of x in exp with the variable x), which is now fixed.
For example, with the given intervals for x and y, you can now enter exp(0.05 * x * y) to obtain reasonable output.
lamemaar

Postby ShaiHulud » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Microsoft Mathematics is acceptable for 3d graphs. It can also graph 3d parametrics which is somewhat useful. It's not as good as more dedicated products, but it's free now too, so it may be of use.

http://www.microsoft.com/education/products/student/math/default.aspx#overview
ShaiHulud

Postby agelessdrifter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Is there a way to use wolfram or mathematica to graph the image of a specific set under a transformation? Like if I want to know what f does only to the unit circle in the complex plane, is there a way I can tell wolfram or mathematica that?

I tried searching for the answer, but as you can imagine searching the combination of words "wolfram image function set" comes up with quite a slew of things that are irrelevant to my question.
agelessdrifter

Postby B.Good » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:41 am UTC

agelessdrifter wrote:Is there a way to use wolfram or mathematica to graph the image of a specific set under a transformation? Like if I want to know what f does only to the unit circle in the complex plane, is there a way I can tell wolfram or mathematica that?

I tried searching for the answer, but as you can imagine searching the combination of words "wolfram image function set" comes up with quite a slew of things that are irrelevant to my question.

I've only looked at the documentation a little bit but it seems like the third example may help you in at least some way. http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematic ... lot3D.html
B.Good

Postby rrwoods » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:06 pm UTC

I've just had Excel's 15ish-digit precision bite me on a spreadsheet I'm using to analyze a card game. Does anyone know of a free arbitrary-precision spreadsheet application or plugin?

The sheet has around 2650 rows, and is working with integers around 70 digits long in each of those rows. Calculation speed is not an issue, within reason (i.e., taking a few minutes to update the sheet after changing a cell is acceptable, taking a few hours is not).
26/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.
rrwoods

Postby agelessdrifter » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:14 am UTC

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question.

I've just completed my first problem session using LaTeX, specifically in TeXworks. I've previewed the document a hundred or more times while typing it up, and it looks great in the preview, but when I save the document as a PDF, I can't open it with adobe (which says it's either a bad format or a damaged file). In fact, I've closed and opened the document (the actual write-up) in TeXworks about six times since I finished it while trying to figure out how to get the PDF version to work, and the texworks preview has refused to open pretty much every other time I close the program out and reopen it. I wasn't having any problems while writing it, but I didn't shut out of the program during that time.

There's an option to print the document straight out of texworks preview, but I don't have a printer -- I need to print this from the campus library computer (all dinosaurs, almost certainly don't have texworks or anything analogous), so I need to be able to send a viable pdf to myself. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Oh, nevermind. It's decided to work, now -- I have no idea what changed. Sorry.
agelessdrifter

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:09 pm UTC

rrwoods wrote:I've just had Excel's 15ish-digit precision bite me on a spreadsheet I'm using to analyze a card game. Does anyone know of a free arbitrary-precision spreadsheet application or plugin?

The sheet has around 2650 rows, and is working with integers around 70 digits long in each of those rows. Calculation speed is not an issue, within reason (i.e., taking a few minutes to update the sheet after changing a cell is acceptable, taking a few hours is not).

I poked at open office, and it too is built for speed.

The only advice I found was "store your numbers as strings, and use custom-written functions to do mathematics on strings" when I googled at it.

If I had to solve this problem, I'd find a bignum library for a random language, then build a dependency-graph on-disk system (on-disk, so it persists between executations) for named variables and formulas. Maybe use make to do the calculations, where the dependency of a formula is its inputs. Add in the ability to have n-dimensional arrays of variables (not just the 2-dimensions of a spreadsheet), and positional relative formulas. Ie, write a "programmers spreadsheet".

Then add in an undo stack (ie, snapshot-deltas), and an output formatter of some sort, and go to town.

Naturally doing this would take far longer than solving the actual problem. And I probably wouldn't finish. :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby dcb2011 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

For quick drawing, but not much other capabilities, here is a utility I came across recently:

Online 3-D Function Grapher
dcb2011

Postby Peter_from_nyc » Wed May 02, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Wow, Grapher looks cool, and I did not know about it.

But, if I have a lot of motion data, and which to show it in 3 dimensions, what would be the appropriate cheapest tool?
Peter_from_nyc

Postby alessandro95 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 am UTC

I just noticed that on the Sage website they claim Sage to be faster than Wolfram's Mathematica, I never tried the latter, so I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who tried them both (though I won't stop using Sage since it's free while Mathematica isn't!), thank you for your answers!
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.
alessandro95

Postby MechanicalGeekgineer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Greetings.
I am looking for a partial equation differential solver for Mac...I need to solve a elliptic partial differential equation. Does anybody know one?
Best regards.
MechanicalGeekgineer

Postby f5r5e5d » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

it appears that Cinderella dynamic plane geometry software went free for the full version this past fall http://www.cinderella.de/tiki-index.php

haven't done anything with it yet but skimmed the Doc - I have more hours with the similar (but possibly more ad hoc) Geogebra which is also free http://www.geogebra.org/cms/en/

I am also wrestling with Sage for symbolics, trying to do "Special Relativity for Poets" coursework - very frustrating compared to even the Maple subset included in (obsolete) MathCad v 11
f5r5e5d

Previous

Return to Mathematics