0302: "Names"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ShadowLurker

0302: "Names"

Postby ShadowLurker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Alt-text: I'm always so happy that I successfully nagivated the introduction that I completely forget to pay attention to the name the other person told me.

Man, this comic would've [Edit] only [/Edit] been kinda ok if it wasn't for the second panel

The second panel owns up

Though I must say, the pastor guy (OK, I know I'm using the wrong term, sue me) is a bit strangely drawn
Last edited by ShadowLurker on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Tick

Postby The Tick » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Must be sobering up just in time at a Vegas wedding.
"I just had the strangest dream. I was taking some math test I hadn't studied for...and then you tried to saw off my head."
Honk if you love justice!

Keith

Postby Keith » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I always just ask them how to spell their name.
Sapere Aude.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Though I must say, the pastor guy (OK, I know I'm using the wrong term, sue me) is a bit strangely drawn
His belt is at his knees, it appears.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 am UTC

On the contrary; I liked the second panel. The first panel started out with a real problem and the second panel followed it with an exaggerated, worst-nightmare sort of situation.

Edit: that's in response to the first post.
Last edited by Darcey on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Owns up? What mean that?

Do you mean . . . "pwns up", or do you mean, "that comic better own up, because I ain't goin' back to jail"?

Been there, done that, saw the Seinfeld episode (Delores doesn't really rhyme with clitoris . . .), good, but not great.

ShadowLurker

Postby ShadowLurker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:11 am UTC

the second panel is super awesome

kwan3217

Postby kwan3217 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:11 am UTC

"M-A-R-Y."

Also, how autobiographical is this? Did Randall get married? How come I wasn't invited?
Last edited by kwan3217 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Some people look at what is, and ask "why?"
Some people dream about what isn't, and ask "why not?"
I think about it for a while, then say "Oh, that's why not."

ShadowLurker

Postby ShadowLurker » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am UTC

kwan3217 wrote:

"M-A-R-Y."

Hope that if it's that simple, you would have remembered it

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am UTC

HAHA! I forget names all the time. Methods of getting around this:

-When introducing two people where I've forgotten one of their names, I'll only introduce the other. This leaves the forgotten person saying their own name.

-"How do you spell your name again?" If it's something simple, like John, I'll say, "I'm sorry, I meant your last name." This is much easier with women nowadays because there are so many variations of even simple names.

Also, for some reason whenever someone is named "Lisa", I remember it as "Jill".
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Keith wrote:I always just ask them how to spell their name.

I have him type it into my phone himself "because I'm bad with texting" (which also happens to be true). And if I'm not getting his number I don't have to worry about his name at all! And if I met him on the internet I can search the archives, and if I met him IRL I can ask my IRL contacts. I'm covered in all situations. Oh crap, what was the name of my IRL contact, so I can look her up in the phone and ask her this guy's name?

anna.

Postby anna. » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 am UTC

Terribly embarassing if their name is Sam.

I've always wanted to be on Survivor so that while at Tribal Council, I could nudge someone right before the vote and say "Psst, how do you spell your name?"

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 am UTC

IT'S SO TRUE! God this comic speaks to me...*whipes tear away*

Like I seriously do this all the time...but I usually just give people nicknames that they seem to enjoy and then hate me when they figure out why.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Darcey wrote:

I have him type it into my phone himself "because I'm bad with texting"

That's a good one, too. *adds to repertoire*
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Yeah, we did that to a kid at camp. Who . . . could very well be perusing the forum right now. He had a google shirt, and he was roughly three years younger than most of us (it was a college course in engineering, he was twelve, most of us were 15/16) and he was much smarter than the rest of us, so we called him google. It stuck because he was smarter than us, we didn't give it because of that.

Edit: this is a response to the "give people nicknames" thing. Something like four of us knew his actual name by the end of camp.
Last edited by japanese_jew on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Herman

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 am UTC

I waited all weekend for this? Either these comics start getting better, or I get a life!

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:30 am UTC

I know a guy who enters people into his phone under amusing names, then consequently forget their real names and just refers to them as listed. Apparently one of them actually responds to "Hot Girl #3" now. I believe he has me under "Cutie from Party", of which I fully approve.

mwn3d

Postby mwn3d » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:37 am UTC

i cant tell you how many times this has happened to me at family gatherings. my dad had 12 siblings so i dont think ive met all my cousins and some ive only met once many years ago so i dont remember them at all.

dr7

Postby dr7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:53 am UTC

This would happen to me if I ever get married, but because I can't remember names. No exaggeration, no lie: I forget co-worker's names even when I work with them every single day. I am so bad with names it hurts. I'm surprised I remember mine.

But it's only names. Everything else I'm pretty average at remembering.
Last edited by dr7 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
dr7: king of the wicker people

SirOmega
Location: Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire...

Re: "Names" discussion

Postby SirOmega » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:54 am UTC

ShadowLurker wrote:Alt-text: I'm always so happy that I successfully nagivated the introduction that I completely forget to pay attention to the name the other person told me.

Yea that pretty much sums up my life. I have to go ask my friend the next day to make sure I get the names straight.

If I do manage to get a girls number its her first name (if I remember it) and then the last name is the place I met her.

Too bad that never happens.

lukewarm

Postby lukewarm » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:55 am UTC

I am so bad with people's names that I routinely mix my colleagues' names, like in

- ... now, ask X to do this thing
- I am X, you mean "ask Y"
- Yeah, right, I am sorry..

Somehow I get out not hated, not very much that is...

Cortelyou

Postby Cortelyou » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:59 am UTC

Herman wrote:I waited all weekend for this? Either these comics start getting better, or I get a life!

You know you can't do that, it would take way too much effort. Not spending time with Randal is really difficult!

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:01 am UTC

Oddly, I remember people and their names a lot better if I also know their heights, weights, and birthdays. I can name these facts for quite a few of my friends. Sadly I don't actually remember the birthdays on the actual day, just if someone asks me what it is. Anyway, when I meet someone and it looks like we're going to be continuing friends, I always ask for height and birthday. Weight seems a bit rude.

On another note, I'm horrible at facial recognition. My dad says he is also, so I guess it's prolly genetic.

And when I don't like people's names I give them new ones that I think fit them better.

thedancecmmndr

Postby thedancecmmndr » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:15 am UTC

I'm a summer camp counselor. We get 30 new kids every single week. And all the names I learn by the end of the first day are forgotten when they come in the next day wearing different clothes and sit in different places!

The solution? "Hey... buddy.... how's it going?"

Caligula

Postby Caligula » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:17 am UTC

I do the same thing all the time >>
Nothing as extreme as that, but when your dancing with someone and realize that you forgot what their name was...

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:18 am UTC

I wouldn't wipe my ARSE with this comic - its way to good for that.
=]

FFF8E7

Postby FFF8E7 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Yeah, I definitely had at least one friend whose name I didn't know for months. Part of my problem is that I rarely pay much attention during introductions - I tend to assume that most people I meet are people I'm probably never going to interact with again, and therefore I don't pay much attention. And if I do end up befriending them, I can always learn their name later on. Unfortunately, most other people seem not to think that way, and I often find myself being greeted by random people and wondering, "Who the hell is that? Why do they know me?"

schumi_girl
Human sacrifice for hire

Postby schumi_girl » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:59 am UTC

Laughed. Cried. Smiled. Squee'd.

It had it all.

/movie-tag line corniness.

Adam: "This could be trouble."
Riley: "We'd better make a fort."
Adam: "I'll get some pillows."

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:14 am UTC

The second time I see anything (a building, a room, a person, a street, etc.), my mental model of that thing is completely restructured for some reason. So any information I learned in the first encounter, associated with my original mental model, tends to get lost (although I typically realize I've seen it before). But if I do learn someone's name after the second time I see them, I'm pretty good at remembering it. I wish it were customary to introduce yourself the second time you meet someone...

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:14 am UTC

FFF8E7 wrote:Yeah, I definitely had at least one friend whose name I didn't know for months. Part of my problem is that I rarely pay much attention during introductions - I tend to assume that most people I meet are people I'm probably never going to interact with again, and therefore I don't pay much attention. And if I do end up befriending them, I can always learn their name later on. Unfortunately, most other people seem not to think that way, and I often find myself being greeted by random people and wondering, "Who the hell is that? Why do they know me?"

Is it just me? Or is your username a light skin-tone in hex?

jmoy

lame

Postby jmoy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 am UTC

Bring back the old witty, geeky, clever, nontrivial xkcd. Please.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:18 am UTC

Once I met a kid at school, but I forgot his name. 6 months later, I was a good mate of his, but I still didn't know his name. He was a little bit German, so I called him Hans. I think he thought I was just being jokey, but I really didn't know his name. It didn't seem very important, and I was too embarrassed to ask.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:19 am UTC

And no one else ever called him by his name?

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 am UTC

I'm pretty horrible with names, particularly last names, though I've found that it helps if I've seen them written out (preperably in print).

My shining moments of name recognition have been my current coworkers (whose scheduled shifts I see every day) and the freshmen I led a discussion group for during my last year at university. Also printed names, and there were only ten of them. Otherwise... I mostly just rely on eye contact. That way a given person can know you're talking to them without a name (and if it's a lady, she'll usually notice you aren't staring at her chest).

Two of my good friends and I would, for quite some time, have conversations and "exchange" names throughout the course of them. At various points, we'd address one another by the third person's name, or even by our own name, no one ever being in the least confused. Pretty fun.
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

biomatter

Postby biomatter » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:39 am UTC

Did anyone else notice he spelled navigated wrong? Or is it just me?
<> Biomatter <>

Postby 6453893 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:41 am UTC

Darcey wrote:I know a guy who enters people into his phone under amusing names, then consequently forget their real names and just refers to them as listed. Apparently one of them actually responds to "Hot Girl #3" now. I believe he has me under "Cutie from Party", of which I fully approve.

I do similar things. I have on my phone a "That Guy", "The other guy", "The guy with the eye." and a few others, all of whom I identify by randomly calling and saying "which guy are you?"

Also, I have a bad tendency to forget that my new phone doesn't have T9, so I hit keys for J-U-L-I-A, expecting it to autoformat to the right word. Then, months later, discover it cam out as Jtiga. There are a whole bunch like that, most of them will respond to it too, leading to some interesting situations when I've reserved tickets for me and Jtiga.

pollywog
Let's party like it's my postcount

Postby pollywog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 am UTC

japanese_jew wrote:And no one else ever called him by his name?

Nah, they all used Hans, at least when I was around. Although a lot of them called him "New Guy" which is fairly common to, if the person is the new guy.
suffer-cait wrote:hey, guys?
i'm fucking magic

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:46 am UTC

Ooh, Pollywog the trendsetter . . .

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:49 am UTC

Having done the camp counselor thing, I know what it's like to see 30-60 new kids every week and be expected to know their name.. and be completely unable to remember them. Oy. I can't remember the names of my best friends or my own relatives, most of the time... so of course, I give everyone nicknames.

However, no one minds, because everyone I know shares about 5 names. So we all have to use nicknames with one another, because well, you'll generally see more than one person with a given given name around.

I am so grateful for that...

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:55 am UTC

Darcey wrote:On the contrary; I liked the second panel. The first panel started out with a real problem and the second panel followed it with an exaggerated, worst-nightmare sort of situation.

Edit: that's in response to the first post.

Really? In the lower left corner of the first panel, I thought the end of the wedding dress was trailing, which would indicate that this is in fact the same scene...
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”