The Walking Dad

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby lemmings » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

Dumb redneck:

Spoiler:
Cuts off hand, looks at the door. "Nope, not going that way, bunk of geeks over there"

Oh look, a fire escape!

Frack, it has a ladder!
lemmings

Postby grythyttan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Spoiler:
The moment I saw the hacksaw I knew he wsa gonna cut his hand off. It just seems like that kind of show. And it reminded me a bit of T-bag from prison break.
Last edited by grythyttan on Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:
grythyttan

Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, cutting his hand off seems like a barmy thing to do, when he could have cut through the chain probably a lot faster.

I did notice that they're not calling the zombies zombies. It's odd because they did call them zombies in the comics.
Yeah, but they also usually call them Roamers or Lurkers depending on their behavior. So they may just be giving different names to them, which is fine.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Midnight » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:40 am UTC

I dug the finale.
uhhhh fuck.
Midnight

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:57 am UTC

Well, none of that happened in the comics.

Spoiler:
And Shane didn't die. What the hell?

All in all, I liked the finale.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?
SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SummerGlauFan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well, none of that happened in the comics.

Spoiler:
And Shane didn't die. What the hell?

All in all, I liked the finale.

Well, they did say they weren't going to follow the comics too closely.

And considering how dark the comics get, I doubt you could do that on a major network. :shock:
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.
SummerGlauFan

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:58 pm UTC

They might not have a hard time since the finale had the most viewers EVER among the most important demographic for a cable show.
Endless Mike

Postby smokebubble3x » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:40 pm UTC

One of the most dramatically awesome series I've ever seen on television. So sad it's over, the whole thing went by pretty f***in' fast imo.
smokebubble3x

Postby colinrmitchell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:51 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Yeah, cutting his hand off seems like a barmy thing to do, when he could have cut through the chain probably a lot faster.

I'm sure that handcuffs are made out of stainless steel, which is much harder than regular steel.

Hacksaw blades are flimsy, and just hard enough to cut mild steel.

Taking the hacksaw to the stainless steel would dull it quite quickly, making it useless for cutting even bone.

Cutting his hand off was the only option, I think. Although he could have just tried removing his thumb and slipping out, first, before removing the whole hand.
colinrmitchell

Postby Ryom » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

It was also pointed out he could have cut through the thin metal pipe/bar connected to the handcuff much faster. He chose the worst option available when there were better ones. It was the writers attempt at drama, unfortunately it wasn't handled correctly for it to be so. Could be poor writing, could be poor directing.
Ryom

Postby grythyttan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 pm UTC

And he could've been panicking because zombies were clawing their way through the door and were going to be chewing on him very very soon.
Joy of Cooking was far less of an achievement than Thyme Cube discovery, for I have Cubed the Spice, with 4 simultaneous flavor types in 1 plant of Earth.
Spoiler:
grythyttan

Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby colinrmitchell » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

That's true, the angle iron (or bolt) that he was cuffed to probably was mild steel, and so he could have hacked through it with the hack saw.

I had to appreciate his guts to cauterize it with those little catering candles.
colinrmitchell

Re: The Walking Dad

Postby xdegenerate » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:07 pm UTC

Yes I think they just wanted to express to the audience how tough Merle was, so that when he appears on screen in season 2 you expect the worst. But really, what's the worst a guy with one hand can do, eh? We all know one hand is only good for one thing.. :oops:
xdegenerate

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:47 am UTC

xdegenerate wrote: But really, what's the worst a guy with one hand can do, eh?
Obviously that depends on whether or not he replaces the missing hand with a chainsaw.

Season 2 started. Are people watching it?

It's been... kind of stupid.
cephalopod9

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 pm UTC

xdegenerate wrote:But really, what's the worst a guy with one hand can do, eh?

Can't tell if serious or read the comic and trolling. :|
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby Iulus Cofield » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:03 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
xdegenerate wrote: But really, what's the worst a guy with one hand can do, eh?
Obviously that depends on whether or not he replaces the missing hand with a chainsaw.

Season 2 started. Are people watching it?

It's been... kind of stupid.

The show has come down with LTP disorder. I'm expecting, since next week's episode is the last until February, that they'll actually do something besides drag out the same character development subplots for another 5 hours.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

Necro.

Spoiler:
WOWEE. Considering they didn't have much ammo, Hershel's shotgun was doing a good job of reloading itself!

Excited for S3, I understand that the person with the chained zombies is a character from the comics, looks exciting.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

That would be Michonne. Which, of course, means nothing to people watching it and people reading it just orgasm'd a little.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby roband » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm UTC

Yep, the /r/TheWalkingDead subreddit kinda threw me a few spoilers about that (I wasn't expecting chat about the comic, for some stupid reason) but I can't wait til autumn to find out more.
She looks badass.

Spoiler:
Zombies on chains, with no arms. Fucking awesome
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

I'm very slowly but surely acquiring the comics. I've just finished the second issue. Or tbp. Or whatever. Fuck, I don't know how comics are classified.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Issues are 22 to 30 pages, depending on the company, and cost $1.99 to $4.99, depending on the company.

Trades collect 6-9 issues in a single book for $14.99-$24.99, depending on a shitload of factors.

Somewhere in the title pages it should have copyright information listed as "Originally printed as The Walking Dead issues #1-#7, August 2004-Feburary 2005" or something like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:37 pm UTC

Trade paperback apparently.

Ooh and TFAW has most of them on sale a little. Dammit, don't need the temptation!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby Larry » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

So, does Season 2 end well then?
I got most way through S2, until
Spoiler:
Carl takes Darryl's gun out of his saddlebag

then turned it off in exasperation.
Larry

Postby roband » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

Keep going. It's worth it.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby novax6 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 am UTC

I disagree, thought S2 was a giant waste of time, and wouldn't have bothered after the first 4-5 episodes if my gf hadn't kept watching.

Of course I didn't really care for the 1st season either after the pilot, so if you loved that maybe you'll still like the 2nd season.
novax6

Postby Jave D » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Anyone saw the third season opener?
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Iulus Cofield » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

It was good.
Iulus Cofield
WINNING

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

I liked this episode.

Spoiler:
man. that chopping off of a leg was one of the burliest things I've seen on a major TV show. I mean seriously. Me and the girl are zombie nuts, and no stranger to blood and guts, but that was quite shocking.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."
freezeblade

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:02 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:I disagree, thought S2 was a giant waste of time, and wouldn't have bothered after the first 4-5 episodes if my gf hadn't kept watching.

Of course I didn't really care for the 1st season either after the pilot, so if you loved that maybe you'll still like the 2nd season.

Yup. Pilot was good, first season was spotty(there were elements, like the tank scene, that were pretty good). Second season had some serious pacing issues. Have not yet seen season 3, but so far, I'm told it's fast. I don't know if this is just the "seasons starting, watch us please" effect, or a serious change of pace. I figure I'll give it a while, and return to watching only if I'm relatively assured it's the latter.
Tyndmyr

Postby hawkinsssable » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

I'm probably in the tiny, tiny minority here, but I loved season 2's pacing. It's hard to compare it with season 1, since they were handled so differently, but I think I even preferred it. The whole first half half had this calm-before-the-impending-storm vibe that contrasted nicely with season 1 and paid off beautifully in the mid-season finale, and the mix of action / character development in the second half felt pretty close to perfect to me. It gave the writers a chance to explore all kinds of worthwhile stuff they wouldn't have been able to if the group was still wandering around from shelter to shelter.

But then, I've always preferred - actually, I'm not sure how to describe it. Comfortable fiction, maybe? The kind where you have a fairly consistent world you can get to know quite intimately.

Season 3 looks to be amazing. I totally wasn't expecting...

Spoiler:
... the guy I mistook for this season's big bad to be killed in the same episode his character was introduced. I felt awful for the 2 other guys that died, but he seemed to be pure psychopath.

Have not yet seen season 3, but so far, I'm told it's fast. I don't know if this is just the "seasons starting, watch us please" effect, or a serious change of pace. I figure I'll give it a while, and return to watching only if I'm relatively assured it's the latter.

Since I preferred s2 to s1 I'm probably the wrong guy to be giving advice, but: the first two episodes are tense, gory fun the whole way through.
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
hawkinsssable
Promoted

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 am UTC

Just finished season 2... All I can say is, what the fuck writers? It's like you took all that great characterization and subtle story telling and painfully difficult decision making and just... stopped? The second half of S2 was just abysmal, each episode being just another 'Oh for fucks sake' after 'No you fucking halfwits, don't DO that'. I understand they were trying to emphasize a chaotic climax, but man oh man, was it poorly executed.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Larry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

That's exactly what I was thinking.
The finale and aftermath I quite enjoyed, but everything else in the second half of season 2.... hnnnngggg.

"What Not To Do: The Show"
Larry

Postby ArgonV » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, the governor...
Why did he shoot the soldiers They'd be very useful protecting the village. Just to show he's evil? (Not to mention the idiotic way they got killed. Seems rather unrealistic they'd get ambushed that easy)
What's with the tea? It got shown/mentioned explicitly a few times, so it's gotta be relevant, right?
And the aquaria... Just, why?
ArgonV

Postby roband » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
So, the governor...
Why did he shoot the soldiers They'd be very useful protecting the village. Just to show he's evil? (Not to mention the idiotic way they got killed. Seems rather unrealistic they'd get ambushed that easy)
What's with the tea? It got shown/mentioned explicitly a few times, so it's gotta be relevant, right?

I can't help on ANY of these points. Looking forward to the next episode.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby freezeblade » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
So, the governor...

Spoiler:
Well, in the comics (which they haven't been following, so might be moot) the governor is pretty much a psycopath, so this is showing that he's a loose cannon, and very much a sadistic motherfucker. Also notice how cool and collected he was lying to the people in the compound.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."
freezeblade

Postby Jave D » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:08 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Spoiler:
So, the governor...

Spoiler:
Well, I think it's pretty obvious the guy has control issues. He has his little tinpot dictatorship, just the way he likes it, and so that makes not just the walkers a threat, but other survivors. With the soldiers, had he invited them in, they could question his authority (which seems to be force of personality winning him the loyalty of guards as well as hearts and minds), and they had enough force as well as legitimacy in order to contest his decisions, or even to replace him with one of their own (the way Rick took over when he found Shane's group in season 1). This way, he eliminates them as a threat and takes their goods. He doesn't seem to need any more guards, who would drain food and other resources.

The aquaria... yeah, I dont know. I think the point there is the guy's a bloody nutcase. But I already see that he has some eerie parallels with Rick's character... like how Rick might have turned out if Rick had control over a larger group (with more Shanes) and if Rick was a bit more insane.
I work all night, I work all day, to pay the bills I have to pay
Ain't it sad?
And still there never seems to be a single penny left for me
That's too bad.
Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby hawkinsssable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

(Consider this post double-spoilered because of comparisons to the comics / books)

Spoiler:
The Governor, according to the tie-in Kirkman novel, led a coup against the national guardsman that previously held Woodbury and ruled using fear and dickishness. He could potentially justify slaughtering the army guys to himself in terms of protecting the community from a resurgence of that kind of horror, even if the whole 'mad with power' thing plays a much greater role.

Everything else? He seems to have shut himself off completely from everybody else ("Never say never", "... never"), so maybe, iunno, the fishtank thing just makes sense to him.

I don't think killing the soldiers was just to demonstrate that he's evil. I think it was equally meant to show that 1. he can't cope with anybody challenging his authority, and 2. he's genuinely dedicated to maintaining his lovely little community and making sure it stays a good place (/the way he likes it)

Spoiler:
The aquaria... yeah, I dont know. I think the point there is the guy's a bloody nutcase. But I already see that he has some eerie parallels with Rick's character... like how Rick might have turned out if Rick had control over a larger group (with more Shanes) and if Rick was a bit more insane.

Robert Kirkman wrote:I always kind of looked at it like Rick and the Governor were two sides of the same coin, and if Rick had gone down a certain path he could have ended up exactly like that guy. And so I had a story in mind of how he became that guy and what caused him to be that bad of a person.
Last edited by hawkinsssable on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:01 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
hawkinsssable
Promoted

Postby roband » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

Can we have different spoilers labelled for the comic compared to the show? Or just no comic spoilers in this thread?

I intend to read them at some point in the future and I understand they differ very much from what has happened in the show.
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

Postby hawkinsssable » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

roband wrote:Can we have different spoilers labelled for the comic compared to the show? Or just no comic spoilers in this thread?

I intend to read them at some point in the future and I understand they differ very much from what has happened in the show.

I fixed up the formatting and explained things a bit more clearly after the forum didn't quite react to double-spoilering the way I thought it would. Hopefully nothing was spoilt.
hawkinsssable
Promoted

Postby roband » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Another tip, you shouldn't use red text. Mods will be angered ;)

I mean I'd like to see something like:

COMIC SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
Stuffs about comic that I can't post because I don't know. Oh - they killed Shane much quicker in the comics, weird that they strung it out for so long in the show.

SHOW SPOILERS:
Spoiler:
I wonder how many zombies the sword-lady had to chop the arms and jaws off before she learned how to make them not want to eat her.. And how many she has seem starve to death.

See how they differ?
roband
Psychedelic Shrub

PreviousNext

Return to Movies and TV Shows